Topic Options
#246743 - 06/03/07 10:30 AM Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism?
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I have been reading THE POWER OF MYTH by Joseph Campbell, next I will read THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES. Mr. Campbell has some very interesting things to say about mythology and religion, I am curious though, does anyone know if Campbell ever spoke about his thoughts on Satanism, Dr. LaVey or The Church of Satan?

#246748 - 06/03/07 11:16 AM Re: Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism? [Re: DickSteele]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
I am fairly familiar with Campbell's works, including his lectures and interviews, to the best of my knowledge there are none.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#246755 - 06/03/07 12:22 PM Re: Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism? [Re: Svengali]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I didn't think so, that's sort of a shame. Thank you Magister!

Edited by DickSteele (06/03/07 12:23 PM)

#246759 - 06/03/07 12:36 PM Re: Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism? [Re: DickSteele]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

On another note, having read most of what he's written, his most important books are the 4 vol. MASKS OF GOD and the multivolume TRANSFORMATIONS OF MYTH THROUGH TIME lectures on DVD from Mystic Fire Video.

The Bill Moyers stuff is definately "Made for TV" in every sense of the term. If you like that material at all, the above material is like a goldmine. I personally don't care for the "pop" material, it lends itself to too much New Age hokum.

The real material is atheistic, viewing comparative religion and mythology as products of the human psyche. This is not in conflict with the Satanic POV.

Campbell is incredibly well-read and an excellet lecturer.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini

#246807 - 06/03/07 07:09 PM Re: Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism? [Re: Svengali]
Isabel23 Offline
CoS Magistra

I love Campbell's lectures when I run across them. I suffered through Redgrave "summaries" of what the lectures said -- thank goodness for fast forward -- in order to hear what he had to say in one PBS series.

Redgrave (or the writer of her lines) was downright wrong several times when she summarized the previous lecture. (Snicker!) I kept forgetting about the fast forward!

I actually found Moyers funny -- he kept looking and sounding like a dope while "conversing" with Campbell.

Thanks for the reference, Magister. I didn't realize there were more Campbell lectures available.

#246810 - 06/03/07 08:36 PM Re: Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism? [Re: Isabel23]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Moyers is about as annoying as it gets with his dumb "everyman" questions... "What about Luke Skywalker?" etc... Who cares?

Transformations of Myth Through Time ricochets coherently through a broad range of material; Jung, Nietzsche, Spengler, Mallory, Patanjali, Kant, Heidegger, etc. Unpretentiously and to a point. Campbell was a rare mind.

I also like his illustrated 5 vol. Atlas of Historical Mythology.

#246914 - 06/04/07 04:14 PM Re: Joseph Campbell on Dr. LaVey or Satanism? [Re: DickSteele]
Human Hatred Offline

I have read The Masks of God. It was an interesting read. I used google and do not see anything about mr.campbell on satanism or the cos. I tryed.

Forum Stats
12162 Members
73 Forums
43922 Topics
405744 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements