Topic Options
#255388 - 07/12/07 10:41 AM Persecution.
AdvocatusDiaboli Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hello.

I'am new to the forums and also new to the CoS, but I just have a few inquiries that you all can hopefully "shed some light" on.

I have read the CoS website in and out and have also began ordering the bible as well as some other works by Anton LaVey. I'am extremely interested in Satanism and feel as if this is the religion for me.

However, my views will not be accepted by others around me. My family has not chosen a religion which they practice and I wish to help sway them to my ideals. I know for a fact that my friends will not understand and I feel as if my views and opinions may drift us apart.

I realize Satanism is about individuality and "what you want" but I want my friendships.

I recently emailed the CoS with my questions and recieved the following answer:

"Prejudice is natural and we are fortunate in
the US to have laws which can be used for protection in many situations wherein bigotry might hinder our lives.

However, pragmatism is important, not idealism, and we must learn when to be open about our beliefs, and when it works best to keep them to ourselves."

Now I realize that I will not be able to openly flaunt my views on other religions or my own, but I don't feel right that I should have to remain unspoken about them. Perhaps I'am just rambling..and I apologize.

I just know that if others were to discover my religion, especially in my area, I would be frowned upon.

I'am looking to you for guidence,
Advocatus Diaboli.

#255391 - 07/12/07 10:48 AM Re: Persecution. [Re: AdvocatusDiaboli]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Why do you "wish to help sway them" to your ideals?

Satanists are born, not made. We don't preach to or convert anyone.

Many non-Satanists are capable of taking a Satanic point of view on specific issues without calling it such. I would suggest only swaying people to your side on matters of importance without having to impose a label on it, or on someone who probably isn't a Satanist.

Your identity should be strong enough to continue without a flag and bullhorn.

If not, then, well..........
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#255395 - 07/12/07 10:52 AM Re: Persecution. [Re: AdvocatusDiaboli]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

This feeling is usually brought about by a nave misunderstanding of the meaning of freedom of speech.

You are free to spout off about religion all you want, even if it's a very unpopular religion. You can wear a baphomet to work and tell your whole family and all your friends and take out a billboard if it suits you.

However, freedom of speech also means that the rest of the world has a right to ridicule you however they see fit. You don't have to like it. The world isn't built on a hippy hug fest where we all just get along.

As a member of a feared minority religion you carry the burden of being disliked by the majority should they come to know of your affiliations. That's life.

I might add that the image of persecution is largely a false one, since on the occasions that I've "sported the colors" I've encountered no particular resistance and neither have most open members that I've met. However, unless your field of work is uniquely suited to being open, it's still ill advised.

Better question, why are your personal views something you want to flaunt? Don't you have a personal identity that supercedes that?

#255397 - 07/12/07 10:54 AM Re: Persecution. [Re: Svengali]
AdvocatusDiaboli Offline

"Why do you "wish to help sway them" to your ideals?"

Perhaps I used the wrong phrase there. I merely mean to tell them my religion. I'am constantly asked day and day again what do I believe in. My average response is "myself" but that isn't good enough.

I'am afraid that my response would be upsetting to them and they wouldn't understand. I wish to show them what Satanists actually believe because most of the people I know have a corrupted view.

Thank you for your response,
Advocatus Diaboli.

#255407 - 07/12/07 11:08 AM Re: Persecution. [Re: AdvocatusDiaboli]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Don't tell people more than they can handle, especially if its something they'll be likely to use against you. Its self-defeating.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#255409 - 07/12/07 11:11 AM Re: Persecution. [Re: AdvocatusDiaboli]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I'am constantly asked day and day again what do I believe in.

Who the hell does this? Personally I'd be highly irritated by anyone just randomly asking about my private views and tell them it's none of their damn business.

If we're talking family, tell them you're an agnostic/atheist/whatever gets you through your day, and just move on.

#255411 - 07/12/07 11:13 AM Re: Persecution. [Re: Svengali]
AdvocatusDiaboli Offline

I understand. Thank you both very much for your responses.

Advocatus Diaboli.

#255592 - 07/12/07 06:26 PM Your decision. [Re: AdvocatusDiaboli]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
 Quote:
I realize Satanism is about individuality and "what you want" but I want my friendships.

So it is done.

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406355 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements