Topic Options
#254017 - 07/07/07 11:40 AM Agnostic Satanists
emperorlives Offline

Loc: Alabama
Is this a possibility within the COS?

I have heard of such a term before.

What I mean by that is a Satanist that still thinks that there is some form of "god" in the universe, but really does not care nor has the time to ponder about it any more than he/she has to.

I personally have never had witness to any form of "god" before.

I have, however, seen what I thought to be paranormal things, such as what I thought to be a "ghost". I don't think that could make one agnostic, though.... however since I have seen it, I think I believe it.

I apologize if this is one big ramble.

Edited by emperorlives (07/07/07 11:47 AM)

#254019 - 07/07/07 11:54 AM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: emperorlives]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

What you describe is not agnostic but deistic, or maybe just apathetic.

Agnosticism is the conclusion that the question of a god is beyond human ability to know, or that we have no evidence but have neither disproven the existence of a god.

It is in my opinion a silly stance to take, since I can't prove that there isn't a cheeseburger floating around Saturn either, but it's a damn good bet that there isn't. Agnosticism strikes me as the inability to commit to the fact that in the total absence of any semblance of evidence, there is no reason to believe something might be true.

Satanism is totally unconcerned with spirituality. I think even the pantheistic idea that "everything is god" would strike almost all Satanists as silliness.

#254023 - 07/07/07 11:59 AM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
emperorlives Offline

I have some belief that there might be SOMETHING out there, however, certainly not the all-knowing Judeo-Christian diety that will strike you down at a moments notice.

It has never been proven to me, though. I suppose that makes me a skeptic still.

However, that is now, Back in the past I was worried too much about things like "Is there a god? Are their gods?", and stopped focusing on what I really wanted to do instead.... thus wasting my time.

#254024 - 07/07/07 12:02 PM Another quick, unrelated question, sir.... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
emperorlives Offline

Is that a form of a Germanic rune in your avatar's picture?

Just wondering. I come from an ex-Asatru background.

#254030 - 07/07/07 12:29 PM Re: Another quick, unrelated question, sir.... [Re: emperorlives]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

It is a Wolfsangel, a rune of considerable history. It has a dozen interpretations, but at its core it essentially just means "wolf."

#254100 - 07/07/07 09:10 PM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: emperorlives]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
 Quote:
I have some belief that there might be SOMETHING out there, however, certainly not the all-knowing Judeo-Christian diety that will strike you down at a moments notice.

There is something out there.

You don't have to "believe" in it.

You need only go out on any clear night and look up.

Doubt is the engine that can potentially lead to knowledge.

Beliefs are good to keep sheep in a corral. ;\)

#254108 - 07/07/07 09:52 PM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: Nemo]
emperorlives Offline

I understand what you mean about the universe, however I meant more along the lines of some "amorphous" being/ intelligent energy that designed all/etc.

I guess the next question is, all good Satanists are skeptics at heart?

I go by a deistic philosophy when it comes to "what is out there?" things, but as far as natural living goes, I am a Satanist by heart.

I have gotten this impression recently, though, that you have to be STRICTLY atheistic in order to be considered a Satanist. Am I right in thinking that way?

#254188 - 07/08/07 02:11 PM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: emperorlives]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Just curious, would it make you feel better or worse to think someone or some thing actually designed all this?
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#254256 - 07/08/07 07:22 PM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: Svengali]
emperorlives Offline

Never thought of it that way \:\)

Perhaps a little bit of both, Magister Svengali.

#254304 - 07/08/07 11:17 PM Re: Agnostic Satanists [Re: emperorlives]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
No, you did not understand what I meant at all.

I am as thoroughly as I can in this limited, two-dimensional medium SHOUTING at you that believing anything is worse than useless.

You do not need to be a Satanist "by heart" but by head.

Drop the beliefs and you have a chance to discover what is.

What is does not need believing in.

What is simply is.

You only need to identify it.

#256063 - 07/13/07 08:52 PM DELETED [Re: emperorlives]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
DO NOT REPLY HERE.

If you are not a Moderator or a Member of the Priesthood, your replies will be removed.

Edited by LKRice (07/13/07 08:54 PM)

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43875 Topics
405557 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements