Topic Options
#25914 - 02/12/04 08:28 PM What about a Members only Chatroom?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me just say that I am well aware of the Church of Satan's policy on Chatrooms - Absolutely none! However, to be sensible, anything deserves at least consideration from time to time. We all must agree that sense the LttD site is doing absolutely outstanding, we also must believe that a Member's only chatroom would only prove to be just as successful. With the proper guidelines and enforced etiquette, I believe that under Rev. Ventrue's administration that this is at least worth considering.

#25915 - 02/12/04 10:05 PM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
I do not like the idea of a chat room for two reasons (beyond the usual arguments):

If thought provoking discussions occurred, it would be lost forever. Only those in the chat room would be knowledgeable of it. In Letters to the Devil, however, those nuggets are perfectly preserved for anyone to see at any time.

Chat rooms, being in real-time and constantly changing, has the potential to suck people in and eat up a great deal more of their time then browsing posts here.

#25916 - 02/12/04 10:34 PM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
Orodruin Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NJ, united Satanic america
Chatrooms can be polite and productive (such as the Satanism Today chat during live shows) but, I don't really see a need or a point for having one here. Unless it's scheduled for certain times I don't think there would be enough people sitting around in there for much to come of it.

"All along I've been looking for god, and here I am."
SG1

#25917 - 02/12/04 10:35 PM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have ran many chatrooms in the past and have learned from those mistakes. There IS a reason why I do not have an open chatroom and will never have one again. The are unproductive and more trouble than they are worth. This message board is 100 times more productive and eaiser to maintain than a chatroom. If you read the Church of Satan's policy on Chatrooms on their website it should explain alot of what I ran into when I hosted my chatrooms.

From Hell,

Magister Frost

---------------------------------------
We're all around you, are you one of Us?
---------------------------------------
- The Church of Satan Emporium
- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#25918 - 02/13/04 01:40 AM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
13 Feb XXXIX A.S.

Quote:

However, to be sensible, anything deserves at least consideration from time to time.

Anything!? Realistically, some things deserve consideration once and that's it. From "time to time" isn't always sensible and, sometimes, a waste of time.
Quote:

We all must agree that sense the LttD site is doing absolutely outstanding, we also must believe that a Member's only chatroom would only prove to be just as successful.

I must "believe" no such thing. Methinks you assume too much. Also, this "logic" doesn't follow. The success of the board and the equal success of a potentially (try: highly improbable) related chatroom aren't necessarily correlative. The reality of natural inequality proves that out in spades.

Look up: non sequitur

Also, membership to this board -- and even membership to the Church of Satan -- does not mean that said participants are worthwhile people. It only means that they have an account and a crimson card, respectively. In fact, I have been acquainted with both board members and CoS members who are complete wastes of time. And in neither case are they to be mindlessly presumed as Satanists merely because they can "talk the talk" and/or they have a little red card in their wallets.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#25919 - 02/13/04 07:31 AM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom? [Re: Wonka]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
One can use P.M.if you wish real time chat.

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#25920 - 02/13/04 10:35 AM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom? [Re: MagisterParadise]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rev. Paradise, i see your point. I appreciate your input. I believe that confidence is a much needed quality of the satanist, and you obviously possess much of it in the words you have chosen with your straightforward reply to my comments. Furthermore, I do hope to make aquaintences with these "waistes of time" that you describe, for one of my pet peeves just happen to be assisting people in becoming "worthy of time" by providing them with a little purpose, direction, and motivation - for at least those who deserve it and sincerely desire it. It would be foolish to think that one possesses all he needs to become a satanist just by reading books alone. HS!

Edited by Amon_Mastema (02/13/04 10:36 AM)

#25921 - 02/13/04 11:54 AM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Furthermore, I do hope to make aquaintences with these "waistes of time" that you describe, for one of my pet peeves just happen to be assisting people in becoming "worthy of time" by providing them with a little purpose, direction, and motivation - for at least those who deserve it and sincerely desire it. It would be foolish to think that one possesses all he needs to become a satanist just by reading books alone. HS!

Something is off here.

We do not recruit. You can't mould a "waste of time" into a Satanist. This is not the military. You can indoctrinate, motivate and train almost anyone. But you can't make someone a Satanist.

Satanists arrive at Satanism on their own. If you think someone is a Satanist, the best thing you can do is point them to the available literature, let them figure it out for themselves - and be handy wiith a little guidance and experience when/if needed. (Many experienced and knowledgeable Satanists are kind enough to provide occasional guidance here on LttD. )

Why?

Because Satanism is the opposite of forced indoctrination, mentoring, etc.

It's about the individual thinking on his own, and arriving at truly Satanic conclusions. Anything else is artificial and false, and serves only to make clones - 'pseudo Satanists'.

I indoctrinated myself. I motivated myself. I expect others to do the same. Otherwise, what separates them from the herd? Aesthetics?

If someone has "the desire" to become involved with Satanism, they must persue this on their own.

The Left Hand Path is I think, primarily, a solitary one. The human element can be complementary and enjoyable, but it is not required for the Satanist.

To bring this back to the point, I have a few CoS members who I do regularly 'chat' with - just because it's easier to work on a project or have certain types of discussions this way (and cheaper than long distance phone calls). But it would be a mess if we didn't know and trust each other to a certain degree. Free-for-all Internet chat is a recipe for disaster.

By the way, speaking of hints, you may want to look up the expression "pet peeve".

#25922 - 02/13/04 01:37 PM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom? [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jack, your eloquence and effort of this matter is respected and duly noted. I always enjoy reading the comments of people who can exercise their diction with unyielding criticism.

Edited by Amon_Mastema (02/13/04 01:37 PM)

#25923 - 02/20/04 02:43 PM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
It would be foolish to think that one possesses all he needs to become a satanist just by reading books alone.

I have two problems with the above statement.
First, one does not "become" a satanist. One either is or is not. It is comepletely binary. 1 or 0. There is no 1.3, 1.5, or 1.7's.
Second, one possesses all one needs to become a satanist without every having read a book. If one is a satanist, they have already been living like a satanist. It is only by reading the books that one can put a name to what they are.

There is no becoming. You are or are not. It is only a matter of if you know what you are.

Hail Satan!
Toad

#25924 - 02/20/04 06:25 PM Re: What about a Members only Chatroom?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eh, i find Chatrooms to be especially annoying.. PARTICULARLY if it is in some kind of Java Script... more or less because, its slows my computer down to shit >.o and it often closes all my IE windows, it could be some glitch on my system.. but eh, its just damn annoying with all the additional loading, ontop of the people you would be chatting to (some may or may not like you, depends on how you present yourself, i generally find myself running out of stuff to say in chats.. therefore, the bordem factor kicks in.). So meh, i'd rather not see a Chatroom at LttD.

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406023 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements