Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#259502 - 07/25/07 10:47 AM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Obvously, it is difficult to pick just one. In fact, I managed to pick three:

1) My first day of college. I was ready to leave home when I was thirteen.

2) The day it became obvious that my wife and I are "meant for each other".

3) The day I realized I loved Manhatten. It's my home away from home.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#259539 - 07/25/07 02:43 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: FretWolf_X_]
euol Offline
Banned

Quote:
when I was three. I came home from school

I didn't know there was school for three-year-olds.

Do you remember the name of yours?

#259599 - 07/25/07 07:34 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: euol]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
I should write of my the day my children were born. I should be writing about my wedding, the day I fell in love or the day I sent in my COS Membership Registration ( last week ) but I can't.
I am a Firefighter. I am great at what I do. In recognition, I was able to garner a ride-along with FDNY Ladder 21, Engine 34 440 West 38th Street, Hell's Kitchen. This was a great honor for me, to be able to ride with the "Big boys" "The Pride of Midtown". I would be spending several days riding and fighting fire along side some of the best firefighters and paramedics in the world.
I had been up early riding with the medics. We had a cardiac arrest on west 40th, a hand laceration and a stabbing. We had returned to the station house and it was the normal firehouse camaraderie seen in any house in any city. Some played a board game, some played pool, some watched TV listened to Stern. The tone sounded. It was September 11, 2001 and the report was a small twin engine commuter plane had hit WTC 1. En route it changed to a jumbo liner. The smoke was evident. We arrived and were fully inside WTC 1 when WTC 2 or South Tower was hit.
No one can describe what I saw that day. I myself only remember in snippets of sight and sound, scent and touch, confusion and sadness. I assisted S.A.R. crew in to WTC 1 ( North Tower ) We made it to the 10th floor and decided to work down. The pouring of people from the upper floors was tremendous and were were ordered to stage on the 12th floor and assist with the lower floors evac.
We each collected a group of people and began to lead them down the stairs to the lobby and outside to medical staging. On the 6th floor landing, a pregnant woman had been knocked aside and my self and my partner picked her up. She was having contractions ( brought on by the stress) and we carried her down the last 5 floors. We packaged her for transport and I was ready to return to WTC1 when the Paramedic I was shadowing said to stay on board since I made initial contact with the patient.
He went back inside. I went with the ambulance to the hospital ER. We saw the cloud. You could feel the rumble.
I saw death with every look, but death failed to define that day.
So, how did I find goodness in these memories? Well, beyond the deaths and the funerals, the dust and blood were great people. I learned what it was to be a life saver. I learned why it hurts to be called a hero, what a face of a mother or a wife, a husband or a father looks like when you return their family to them. I saw conditions like fear and exhaustion vanish beneath the need to leave no one behind. I can never fully explain to those who didn't live in that city, or dig in that pit or hide in that dust what that day and those beyond it mean to me. It may not have been the best day for humanity but it was the day when the best in humanity came out for it's self.

Edited by Iblisrising (07/25/07 07:38 PM)

#259642 - 07/25/07 10:42 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Eibon]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Thank you for sharing this. You really conveyed the intensity of the day but at the same time you tied in why it was so special to you and why it was one of the best days of your life - which was an incredibely difficult task you set for yourself considering the emotions surrounding these events.

Quote:
..beyond the deaths and the funerals, the dust and blood were great people. I learned what it was to be a life saver. I learned why it hurts to be called a hero, what a face of a mother or a wife, a husband or a father looks like when you return their family to them. I saw conditions like fear and exhaustion vanish beneath the need to leave no one behind. I can never fully explain to those who didn't live in that city, or dig in that pit or hide in that dust what that day and those beyond it mean to me. It may not have been the best day for humanity but it was the day when the best in humanity came out for it's self.

I honestly can't put into words how amazing this was to read. I'm not so much for 'humanity' but you put a real personal face on what can be very vague notions to most people. I can't say it better than you did.

"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." ~ Bukowski

Being a firefighter, I'm sure you know this twofold. Thanks Iblis, I know this was not easy to write or share. Great job! \:\)
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#259800 - 07/26/07 04:54 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: euol]
FretWolf_X_ Offline

Loc: Wow, I have no idea..help!!
 Originally Posted By: euol
 Quote:
when I was three. I came home from school

I didn't know there was school for three-year-olds.

Do you remember the name of yours?

School is in Pre-k. Thats what they called it any way.

The dark crow man sits and stares into the oblivion into cold nothingness;
it's snowing in his mind.
He's created himself in his own image. Lust held for him means naught, a knock on the door
brings no smile to his cruel lips;
the welcome in a woman's eyes holds nothing for him.
Alone on his haunches the hair raises on the back of his neck. His dead eyes pierce the night.
As his gaze falls down on the city it fills him the method ascertained, conviction.
He knows what to do and moves to commit the deed.___Lamb Of God

www.burn-the-priest.com
www.lamb-of-god.com
(Hail Satan!)

#259801 - 07/26/07 04:57 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: FretWolf_X_]
euol Offline
Banned

Wow.

I'm glad I know that, now.

Is it basically a daycare center, then?

#259815 - 07/26/07 05:28 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: euol]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
No it is not daycare it is part of the public school system in many states NY being one of those states. It is however not mandatory it is optional and many parents do not utilize it.

It is left up to the parent to decide weather or not to enroll their children at that grade.

Edited by gypsy (07/26/07 05:29 PM)

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#259818 - 07/26/07 05:34 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: gypsy]
euol Offline
Banned

That's actually interesting to me. I wasn't allowed to go to school before kindergarten... and I had to go to that a year later than other kids, because of when my birthday is.

Then again, school systems had never worked well for me. I was reprimanded and had to bring a note home to my parents for boasting of the words I knew (I could read at a fourth grade level by kindergarten), and was put into a corner after being scolded for knowing cursive in first grade. Then came the 'she's so smart, skip her a grade -- oh, wait, her social skills need to be developed normally -- ok, so hold her back for lack of discipline -- no, she's too smart for that!' circle.

Anyway, thank you for clarifying. I was certain I couldn't have been the one confused, because I thought of my experiences and how hard my parents tried to get me into the school system -- but it's apparent I was.

Again, thank you for replying.

#259821 - 07/26/07 05:39 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: euol]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/preschooler/ppreschool/index

The above link is an example of the issues of preschool. My son started at two. What separates perschool from daycare is that preschool offers education that is age appropriate.

For practical reasons, such as both parents working full time, these can be full day sessions. In that case, there are elements also found in daycare, such as supervised playtime.

Not everyone gets a puppy when they get home. ;\)

#259852 - 07/26/07 07:48 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
One of my best memories has to be of my first real kiss. The memory alone makes my heart beat faster. I won't share all the intimate details, as I feel that those belong to me alone. Suffice it to say that when such a strong desire is finally met, it feels damn good.

#260651 - 07/30/07 06:21 AM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Eibon]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Iblisrising
I should write of my the day my children were born. I should be writing about my wedding, the day I fell in love or the day I sent in my COS Membership Registration ( last week ) but I can't.
I am a Firefighter. I am great at what I do. In recognition, I was able to garner a ride-along with FDNY Ladder 21, Engine 34 440 West 38th Street, Hell's Kitchen. This was a great honor for me, to be able to ride with the "Big boys" "The Pride of Midtown". I would be spending several days riding and fighting fire along side some of the best firefighters and paramedics in the world.
I had been up early riding with the medics. We had a cardiac arrest on west 40th, a hand laceration and a stabbing. We had returned to the station house and it was the normal firehouse camaraderie seen in any house in any city. Some played a board game, some played pool, some watched TV listened to Stern. The tone sounded. It was September 11, 2001 and the report was a small twin engine commuter plane had hit WTC 1. En route it changed to a jumbo liner. The smoke was evident. We arrived and were fully inside WTC 1 when WTC 2 or South Tower was hit.
No one can describe what I saw that day. I myself only remember in snippets of sight and sound, scent and touch, confusion and sadness. I assisted S.A.R. crew in to WTC 1 ( North Tower ) We made it to the 10th floor and decided to work down. The pouring of people from the upper floors was tremendous and were were ordered to stage on the 12th floor and assist with the lower floors evac.
We each collected a group of people and began to lead them down the stairs to the lobby and outside to medical staging. On the 6th floor landing, a pregnant woman had been knocked aside and my self and my partner picked her up. She was having contractions ( brought on by the stress) and we carried her down the last 5 floors. We packaged her for transport and I was ready to return to WTC1 when the Paramedic I was shadowing said to stay on board since I made initial contact with the patient.
He went back inside. I went with the ambulance to the hospital ER. We saw the cloud. You could feel the rumble.
I saw death with every look, but death failed to define that day.
So, how did I find goodness in these memories? Well, beyond the deaths and the funerals, the dust and blood were great people. I learned what it was to be a life saver. I learned why it hurts to be called a hero, what a face of a mother or a wife, a husband or a father looks like when you return their family to them. I saw conditions like fear and exhaustion vanish beneath the need to leave no one behind. I can never fully explain to those who didn't live in that city, or dig in that pit or hide in that dust what that day and those beyond it mean to me. It may not have been the best day for humanity but it was the day when the best in humanity came out for it's self.

Thanks for sharing.

It touched me.

#260680 - 07/30/07 08:42 AM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Eibon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

I was not there. I was an hour and fifteen minute trainride south; but, I still remember everything I did that day. I need to buy you lunch. I do know people who were there. Both in the building; and, one who volunteered time in the weeks that followed.

Hats off... ;\)

#260694 - 07/30/07 10:22 AM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Evil_Eve]
Alchemist Offline

Loc: Missouri, US
I think my best day was when I decided that I was going back to college after discovering that I wasn't very good at construction work, and didn't really care for selling life insurance, but it was that day not just because of the concrete of going back, but the feel of a sense of purpose, and destiny forming in me, was indescribable, and the power it made me feel was an incredible feeling, to be taking control of myself for something long term and not just for a pay check in two weeks, or a month or whatever the period may be. It gave me a lot of pride.

#260818 - 07/30/07 07:24 PM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Alchemist]
Opeth Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The day my son was born.....Friday the 13th, October 1998 7:59 PM

#260940 - 07/31/07 08:53 AM Re: Your best day/moment/memory? [Re: Evil_Eve]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
It's really, really hard to say. I've been thinking about this for at least a good week and a half, but there were many great days that occurred that are worthy of recognition.

If I had to pick one, I would say that it would be my 4 day trip to Miami back in 2005. Having never been to Miami before in my life, I was a truly happy camper when I got to explore much the territory. It was also nice that I got to see palm trees, and took quite a few pictures of myself standing next to them. It was one of the most relaxing, fun, and enjoyable times of my life.

Other honorable mentions:
- Seeing Dream Theater live for the first time back in 2003.
- The day my parents brought home a puppy when I was a teenager.
- Arriving home the day I graduated 4 years of college to find a nice present: a Gibson Les Paul Custom guitar!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406365 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements