Topic Options
#266160 - 08/20/07 11:29 PM Replies
Ulysses Offline

I have a problem that I hope will be addressed.
Whenever I post something, or I want to look at the replies to a certain topic, each reply is a link with the title of the reply, so I have to click on each reply, and proceed to read it, then hit my back button and click on the next one. I was wondering if this is what everyone does (in which case I will deal with it), or if it is some sort of setting I have enabled or disabled.

Thank you for your time

Ulysses

#266183 - 08/21/07 01:11 AM Re: Replies [Re: Ulysses]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
You're looking for Flat Mode. This mode will show you all the replies on a single screen. To switch to this mode by default, click the "My Stuff" link along the top, then "My Preferences" in the little menu that pops up. Change the Topic Display Mode to "Flat Mode" and click the Submit button.

Some people actually seem to prefer the click-and-wait-for-each-one mode (also known as threaded), but I'm a fellow Flattie.

-Chess

#266197 - 08/21/07 03:24 AM Re: Replies [Re: Ulysses]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Hitting the back button is unnecessary, just scroll down and you'll see the complete listing of replies in threaded mode. I prefer threaded since it lets me see exactly who is replying to who, and lets me quickly bypass posts by known morons. Flat mode frequently leads to people adding replies where it makes no sense to add them, leading to crossed wires, so if you choose this viewing method please be careful to note exactly who you are replying to. If I had a dollar for ever argument that got started because someone replied to the wrong post...

#266229 - 08/21/07 08:29 AM Re: Replies [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Ulysses Offline

Exquisite! This is exactly what I was looking for. I am actually a sort of forum nerd, and I have been an admin on my own site ran on Invision Powerboard, and I am a very high rank on a extremely popular forum about technology etc. I kind of thought those were the only two board companies, but the one you are running on this site doesn't look bad now that I am on flat mode! Thanks so much for the assistance!

-
Ulysses

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43640 Topics
404157 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements