Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#272505 - 09/20/07 03:41 PM Peoples reactions to your religion
shadowraven213 Offline

how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

ive had a few people do this over the years, most people are just stunned for a second but then start to inquire as to the nature of the religion as they dont understand it

i write this here because although it doesnt bother me and i believe that is more of a nervous reaction than a mocking one but theres a part of me that thinks peoples opinion of the religion is something that should be mocked for some reason as if i had replyed "i honestly believe that the earth is flat and worship my squirrel susan"

#272506 - 09/20/07 03:43 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
None. I don't tell people about my involvement with Satanism.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#272509 - 09/20/07 03:51 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Discipline]
Surt Offline
Banned

Loc: New York NY
None. I never tell.

#272515 - 09/20/07 04:05 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
This question among Satanists of whether to make their stance known differs from one to the other. How people react to you and what importance it has in your life must be considered first.

Some are not at all opposed to the general public knowing they are Satanists, and among that grouping, there are some who are wonderful public representatives of Satanism, and then there are some who run through supermarkets with a Devil suit on waving the biggest hood ornament Baphomet they can find (in the figurative sense)- I hope you aren't one of those. Ridicule will surely come to that one.
I try to be very selective about who I reveal this personal aspect of myself to. There are people out there who are not worthy of that information about me, and I've learned to spot them and keep them out of my business.
It doesn't seem prudent to invite combat of that sort, unless you just enjoy it! When you profess to be a Satanist in public indescretionately, you are a reflection of the CoS, whether an actual member or not. Just be wise and knowledgeable enough to practice responsibility where this is concerned.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272537 - 09/20/07 04:37 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
Sigurthr Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.P. of MI, USA
I have only told one person aside from my lovely wife. She is a long time friend and xtian who is losing her faith; she had asked me for advice in spiritual matters and I told her my opinion and stance on things such as the role of religion, the importance of individuality, and my overall impression of xtianity. Nearing the end of our discussion she asked what my religion was since I had said that I do not count myself in with the lot as an atheist because of their strongly xtian influenced morality codes, to which I replied "Satanist". To say the least she was surprised, and thinking of myself as the "normal" satanist (lower case intended) that she and her family was familiar with. After dispelling the usual myths I directed her towards the CoS website, as well as my own MySpace page to further inform her. Her fear and anxiety turned to intrigue and her opinion of her long time friend remained as it did prior to our discussion.

My personal opinion on informing others of your status as a Satanist is do so solely if there are no negative repercussions to be had from it. Satanism is a pragmatic religion that needs no martyrs, nor do you want to complain about something you need not have placed upon yourself. With that in mind I feel you should be Proud to call yourself a Satanist. We are the elite, after all.
"After an inferior man has been taught a doctrine of superiority he will remain as inferior as he was before his lesson. He will merely assume himself to be superior, and attempt to employ his recently learned tactics against his own kind, whom he will then consider his inferiors. With each inferior man enjoying what he considers his unique role, the entire bunch will be reduced to a pack of strutting, foppish, self-centered monkeys gamboling about on an island of ignorance. There they will play their games under the supervision of their keeper, who was and will always be a superior man."
-Magus Anton Szandor LaVey (The Devil's Notebook, "Diabolica")

Undefiled Wisdom
**Formerly known as "Romenadan"**

#272538 - 09/20/07 04:37 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
shadowraven213 Offline

so why when people ask you what your religion is do you lie to them or just say "i dont have one"?

i am proud to be a satanist and anyone that asks me that question i dont feel the need to lie or conceal it the only exception are those that are close to me but who i feel would be hurt by their own misconceptions about satanism and would be unwilling to learn anything different(ie my girlfriends christian parents)but they have thankfully never asked me and i would refuse to answer if they did as they should be able to work out that im not a christian by now :)if someone else told them and they started to say things to me about it i would just not talk about it or try to educate them depending on their reaction but at the end of the day i think it would change very little in my life

i dont go out of my way to tell people im a satanist and people dont ask me often enough for the whole world to know and so it doesnt cause me a problem to tell people who ask even those that i know would try to hurt me with the information because they cant because anyone who asks gets the truth which usually shuts them up or makes them ask questions the answers to which they either agree with (hillarious if they happen to be christian) or they entirely disagree with in which case i just shrug and reply "well you asked me"

what i orginally asked was for people to reply with their experiences of actually telling people so if you dont tell anyone then why did you reply to me? do you think i shouldnt tell people?

*edit* thank you for your post Romenadan that experience is like the majority of mine usually its just freinds who ask and i reply to them and then they understand after a few questions ive never had any negative repercussions from people knowing who i am and perhaps throughout the life that i have lead its actually protected me from some outright idiots who knew what they where dealing with early on \:\)

im still looking for people who have been laughed at though and want to discuss why

Edited by shadowraven213 (09/20/07 04:43 PM)

#272546 - 09/20/07 04:51 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
People fall to their knees long before religion ever becomes an issue.

#272553 - 09/20/07 04:59 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Max Faust]
shadowraven213 Offline

might be an interesting position for them to fall into but doesnt answer my question

max_faust your post makes it unclear as to weather you actually tell anyone or not or what their reaction is

#272556 - 09/20/07 05:00 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
so why when people ask you what your religion is do you lie to them or just say "i dont have one"?

Self preservation.

I had a pretty hard time reading the rest of that post, as your paragraphs are just one long run on sentence. I suspect that I'm not missing much, though. This topic has been discussed to death.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#272558 - 09/20/07 05:04 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
weather you actually tell

I tell them to fall on their fucking knees. That's my offer.

After they have performed you-know-what, maybe we can talk of religion.

#272563 - 09/20/07 05:23 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

You'd be surprised how often I don't get asked that question \:\) People who know me well of course go to my blog or my MySpace page and see the quote from Anton LaVey and are free to draw whatever conclusions they want from that.

But most of the time people just make assumptions based on my interests and the way I dress etc. which is fine with me, since on the whole I live in a very secular country where any deep religious beliefs are often considered embarrassing.

With some friends or co-workers I sometimes refer them to the nine satanic statements, the satanic sins or the rules of the earth - like for instance one co-worker who complained about a person at a customer site who would not stop talking about her personal problems. That was a perfect opportunity to introduce rule number two.

Then just when everybody expects me to be all black metal I suddenly come up with something like Polka Floyd (a band that plays Pink Floyd tributes in polka time), just to make sure that I remain the custard pie when they think they have me nailed to the wall \:\)

#272566 - 09/20/07 05:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
shadowraven213 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bruja

This topic has been discussed to death.

this wasnt what i had in mind for this thread just an honest question to replys that i had, plus if you had noticed my post count you could quite clearly see im new to posting here and dont read everything on these boards.

as i stated if you had read it i dont have any problems, or negative repercussions from telling people i am a satanist when they ask me, so what makes you think that you would come to harm if you did? or perhaps its fear of ridicule which would actually add something to this thread and we could discuss it.

sorry about my punctuation im not used to haveing to use it, i shall fix it for you.

#272567 - 09/20/07 05:35 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I normally don't tell people, unless I'm rather sure they're trustworthy. I'm also more willing to be open about it on the Internet, because of the anonymity and distance and all that.

Occasionally, some people will initially be confused or even a bit worried, and people on the Internet in particular will be dismissive. But, I try to clarify as best I can, and let my actions speak for themselves. Many people eventually come around once they realize I'm not into anything flaky or dangerous. The people who refuse to come around against all odds are usually stubborn idiots, so to hell with 'em.

I usually tell people that I am "complicated," and either let people decide what that means, or, at their insistence, say vague-sounding things that I know will appeal to, or at least not offend, their sensibilities. I then urge them to talk about themselves more.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#272568 - 09/20/07 05:38 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
When (if) someone asks and they are not of the group I wish to share that with, I have no problem telling them "It's a personal matter", or, "I don't discuss my religious views", if I am asked if I am a christian, I simply reply, "No, I am not."

Why do you wish to hear others' experiences at being "made fun of or laughed at"? You ought to have enough inner strength to be absolutely unbothered by skeptics, and it seems you are bothered by them, or else you wouldn't have asked the question to begin with.
I offered you a strong, wise way to approach the issue. I don't have a sob story for you.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272572 - 09/20/07 05:43 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
plus if you had noticed my post count you could quite clearly see im new to posting here and dont read everything on these boards.

Yes, that's crystal clear to me, and probably your first mistake.

Quote:
as i stated if you had read it i dont have any problems, or negative repercussions from telling people i am a satanist when they ask me, so what makes you think that you would come to harm if you did?

Just because you choose to discuss your personal business doesn't mean that it's the wisest choice for everyone , and any intelligent person would see how guarding certain information would be beneficial to them in various situations. Splashing around the fact that you are a Satanist to people could be harmful in many ways, especially for individuals who work in certain fields.

Quote:
or perhaps its fear of ridicule which would actually add something to this thread and we could discuss it.

There are many members of the Church of Satan who choose to not advertise their affiliation. I'm quite sure that fear of ridicule is not high on the list of reasons why.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12013 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405205 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements