Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#272575 - 09/20/07 05:50 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Well handled, Ms. B!!

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272576 - 09/20/07 05:51 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
shadowraven213 Offline

august i think you have failed to see what i was trying to say

i was trying to see if other satanists have had this experience, so i can try to understand if peoples perceptions of satanism is to blame for it.

For example depictions in popular media or perhaps the new trend of "goths" and "emos" and other such groups being mislabeled as satanic which again would go even deeper, but no one seems to have scratched the surface or even grasped thats where i wanted this thread to go.

If you had read my reply you would see that it doesnt bother me, i'm just interested to see if anyone else has had the same experience, i started this thread to share information and have it shared with me.

Im not asking for a sob story and never did, please read my original post again it may help you to understand.

Its clear that some people have not read or understood the first post.

For all those that have thanks for your imput.

#272578 - 09/20/07 05:52 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: TrojZyr]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

I've had similar experiences. Generally people don't find out until they've known me a while, and by that time they've already realized what sort of person I am (ie - creative, reliable, intellligent, capable, usually with similar interests to theirs if we're hanging out together, etc.) so it seems they extrapolate their idea of Satanism from their experience with me instead of whatever rumor they've heard. The exception is when I might date someone - I want to know his reaction before I sleep with him. Even then, it's never "Hi, I'm Maqlu. I'm a Satanist - what about you?" I wait until the date is going well and gradually steer the conversation into philosophical areas to test the water first.

I've never been laughed at for it, and only a couple of times have I come across obnoxious reactions (and those were pretty much back in my university days with nitwit classmates where if I ran into people like that today I wouldn't say anything to them). I have come across some people who were a little confused, where they had trouble reconciling getting along with me with whichever stupid fables they'd been told in childhood Sunday school. Usually though I just give them a few basic answers and they don't have a problem with it.

Some people never find out I'm a Satanist, though, and usually I have very good reasons for that when it happens.

Shadowraven213, I'd guess it might well be a nervous reaction where they don't really know what to say. And some people will tend to crack jokes to break tension, even if it's tension within themselves. You know better than we do the tone of voice used, etc. and exactly what sort of jokes were said.

There's a big difference between someone saying "Heh heh - well, I guess I know what your favorite holiday is!" and "Heh heh - so, kill any cats lately?" If you feel they're being genuinely disrespectful, do what you can to minimize contact with them. Usually people like that are assholes regardless of the situation.

Edit: Actually, upon reflection, it would be better to say "Many people never find out, and those that do wait a fair amount of time to hear it." I don't want to give the impression I'm blabbing it to everyone I know after a certain time frame, because I don't.

Edited by Maqlu (09/20/07 05:55 PM)

#272586 - 09/20/07 06:08 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
I honestly cannot recall one single time in my life where anyone has asked me what my religion is.

If someone should ask - I would simply answer that I am an atheist.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#272587 - 09/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

Well, of course it is the public's perception! What else could it possibly be?

It's Satanism, not Seventh Day Adventism ;\) Satanism isn't regarded with the same acceptance in the mainstream as other religions...by its very definition it is "adversarial". It causes outrage, suspicion, and when it happens, we know why, and we know that going into it.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272588 - 09/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
shadowraven213 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bruja

Yes, that's crystal clear to me, and probably your first mistake.

im sorry but i wont read all threads on this board on the offchance i repeat something here through replying to people, is this a problem?

Just because you choose to discuss your personal business doesn't mean that it's the wisest choice for everyone , and any intelligent person would see how guarding certain information would be beneficial to them in various situations. Splashing around the fact that you are a Satanist to people could be harmful in many ways, especially for individuals who work in certain fields.

what gave you the impression i didnt know this? i never once said it was wrong to conceal it just that i wouldnt, and im not "splashing" the fact im a satanist i just dont like to lie or conceal the fact.

There are many members of the Church of Satan who choose to not advertise their affiliation. I'm quite sure that fear of ridicule is not high on the list of reasons why.

this part was actually of interest to me thank you

#272589 - 09/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: gypsy]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Yes, I have to agree with Gypsy ( see it happens from time to time
) I see no reason to share my religion with anyone. before I realized my Satanic leanings. I still never discussed it with anyone. Its mine. It is something I share only with a very select few. It just isn't necessary to wear it on your sleeve like that.
Now, many people do and That that works for them. They have their reasons and there is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes i wish i was in a position that I could be more open about my Satanic involvement.

#272590 - 09/20/07 06:16 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: gypsy]
Scarey Offline

Loc: Indiana
In my experience, whenever I've told someone I was a satanist it was because I believed them to be open minded enough to take it for what it is. Otherwise I just tell people I follow my own path.

#272595 - 09/20/07 06:34 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Scarey]
shadowraven213 Offline

thanks to Maqlu for an excellent post this was exactly what i was looking for

people who get to know me or try to get to know me sometimes ask what religion i am but not that often, most of the time it just never comes up in conversation but when it does most people are ok with, it the most recent person to ask me what my religion i was that did laugh was actually a police officer over his radio, i had told another policeman my religion after one visited my room in a hostel after a burglary and saw the satanic bible in my bedroom, then about 8 years later quite recently i was broken into again this time in my flat, the police officer that came to the door i actually knew and he had told me that my records have been "flagged" with the term satanist just like they "flag" people with drug issues or violence!

Aswell as this he told me that when the call had first came over the radio the police had laughed at it but that he didnt know why

#272600 - 09/20/07 06:39 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
what gave you the impression i didnt know this?

This statement gave me the impression.

Quote:
as i stated if you had read it i dont have any problems, or negative repercussions from telling people i am a satanist when they ask me, so what makes you think that you would come to harm if you did?

But don't mind me, I'm sure that I am just having difficulty grasping your thought process.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#272601 - 09/20/07 06:39 PM Playing With Fire [Re: shadowraven213]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
We hear this sort of thing from time to time here on the board: "I told a random person that I was a Satanist and they had the nerve to act scandalized!"

Well, yes.

There is power in mystery. That power can be put to good use, or it can be fumbled. There are those who get a lot of practical benefit out of publicly taking the Devil's name. There are many others in situations where wearing sheep's clothing is more prudent.

But let's say that we somehow doused that power; that it became no more scandalous to say you were a Satanist than to say you were a Methodist. Would this really improve matters for J. Random Satanist?

Well, it'd obviously make it impossible to awkwardly fumble the psychological power in the name, since there wouldn't be any power. But it'd also prevent you from ever wielding that power.

You can make matches much safer to play with if you cut off the phosphor tips and throw them away. You definitely won't burn the house down that way, or even singe your finger. But when you want to light a candle...

I like the fact that Satanism is feared, and even mocked sometimes. I like the fact that it requires a deft hand to use the "S word" properly.

So be careful what you wish for... and you might try being a bit more careful whipping the S-word around in public. You're playing with fire, after all. ;\)

-Chess

#272612 - 09/20/07 06:53 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: Chess]
shadowraven213 Offline

chess i dont tell random people i tell people who ask, i dont know how i could have made that any clearer.

I dont wear any symbols or anything indicateing what my religion is unless i want it to be known (which is very very rarely), so i dont "whip it out in public" \:\)

You say you like the fact it is mocked sometimes but you dont say why you think it is, its been my experience that people are afraid of what they dont understand but generally do not laugh at it unless they think they know what theyre laughing at.

#272619 - 09/20/07 07:08 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

People really don't ask me random questions like that.

There are only three people in my life that are fully aware that I'm a Satanist. Those people are my closest friends and I trust them.

Other than that, I try not to get into topics involving religion due to Lesser Magic purposes.

HS!

#272625 - 09/20/07 07:21 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I don't go telling everyone, but I don't try to keep it a secret either. When people find out, they have known me for a while, and it does not shock them or make them uncomfortable; by that time they know who I am, how I feel about things, and that I'm not going to eat a baby or kick a puppy.

#272627 - 09/20/07 07:23 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Jack_Lantern]
August-Wolfe Offline

C'mon Jack... your baby-eating exploits are the stuff legends are made of! ;\)

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12017 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements