Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#272636 - 09/20/07 08:27 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Luigi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Europe & South America
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

Satanism? I just tell them that I'm a devotee of the Lord of Coke and Hot Dogs.

#272638 - 09/20/07 08:54 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I ate those babies in self defense, I swear!

#272642 - 09/20/07 09:24 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I honestly have never had anyone laugh at me over my religion, a woman I asked out on a date laughed at me one time though. I have had many other amusing reactions though.
"How many of you are there?"-[I can't tell you]
"Why, what does it do for you?"-this person I think was actually curious.
"Satan?-whhaaaat?"
"ooookkkaaay?!"
"You're wrong!"-[No, I am sure that I am a Satanist]-haha
"I will pray for you."-[well, okay, it won't do you any good, but okay]
I have found that most people that I decide to talk with about my religion are very receptive. However, this is one of those instances where they are already familiar with me, (that I am a hard worker, positive attitude, excellent sense of humor, and well adjusted all around). At that point they can be confused but see that there is something to it that they don't understand, so will often ask about it. Some people are downright offended-not so much because of the religion but because I am so much more well adjusted than they are. How dare I be a Satanist and be well adjusted and damage all of their preconceived notions-sheeesh!

#272643 - 09/20/07 09:27 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I do not think anyone has ever asked me what my religion is.
I think that those who know me think I have no religion.
All that is important to them is that I am not a Christian.
Limited thinking.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#272663 - 09/20/07 11:14 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I have had people try to bait me into religious discussion before. Most recently a co-worker asked me if I went to church. I replied that I am not religious and prefer not to discuss the subject. He told me that it is never too late to accept jesus christ. I was angered to say the least.

I wouldn't feel comfortable informing others about Satanism unless the person seemed to be the type to benefit from the religion. Even then I likely wouldn't discuss it, unless it seemed fully appropriate. I think that ultimately if one fits the description and is in search of religion then they would eventually find Satanism their own way.

#272664 - 09/20/07 11:16 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

Of course since you're following the Satanic path you are expected to be law-abiding anyway, but it's always good to know that flag is there just in case you are ever falsely accused of anything.

As for the cops at the station laughing, who knows? I have a little story of my own concerning a burglary call that wasn't taken seriously, though it had nothing to do with religion. In 1998 we had a home invasion robbery and when I called 911 the moron who answered suggested I go talk to the crazed looking crackhead leaning on my doorbell and ask him nicely what I wanted. (Yeah right - like I'm going to open that door to someone looking like a deranged madman in a country where I don't have a gun.) She reluctantly promised to send cops, but of course after she hung up they broke in to the house. (I barricaded myself in my room and wasn't hurt, but they got away with money and some heirloom jewelry if anyone was wondering.) Anyway, once they leave I call 911 again and get the same bitch who is stunned to hear that they actually broke in. Who dares to be snippy about me yelling at her. When the cops came, they said there had only been the one dispatch, so she never sent them the first time when she said she did (the police station was four blocks away). The police themselves were great, just the dispatcher was a moron.

Maybe the other officers who laughed your call off were of the same shitheaded ilk as the dispatcher I had to deal with. Could be any number of explanations - self-righteous types who saw the flag and figured you got what you deserved, too busy to want to bother with a mere burglary, whatever. The implications are certainly concerning - what if it was more serious than a burglary and you needed help?

#272672 - 09/20/07 11:44 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I'm sure pretty much everyone here who read my introduction laughed when I said I am a Satanist.

Aside from that no one else needs to know.

#272673 - 09/21/07 12:08 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: TrojZyr]
Rafiq Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Idaho
I sometimes struggle with this. Generally I keep it all to myself. I have no trouble telling people I am an atheist, but I leave it at that. I have only told two people that I am a Satanist. One of them didn't really need to know and I regret allowing them to have that knowledge about me.

I think it is obvious that tossing around the S-word is generally a bad idea. The problem I have is that I am proud to be a Satanist. I wish I could be open about that part of myself without fear of reprisal. Sometimes I even want to use the S-word as a weapon and reveal my true nature in all its shocking glory. And while the effect may be profound, the result will be little to none in the end. Even more so, they will have a juicy tidbit of info about me that I'd rather not be public. So any sort of display like that is far more likely to work against me. It's just that it irks the shit out of me when I think about the destructive influence that faith-based religions have on my life, my country and the world in general. Sometimes I so badly have the urge to FIGHT THEM!

I recognize that as a personal flaw I should keep in check. Something that I noticed about prominent Satanists, when involved in an interview, is that they are just unflappable. No matter how aggressive or ridiculous the interviewer gets, the Satanist remains poised, confident and witty.

#272711 - 09/21/07 06:34 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I rarely get asked “What’s your religion”. I have found that most Christians simply assume everyone else is a Christian too, thought they may belong to a different denomination. I never get asked “what religion I am” but “what Church I go to”.

Usually I say something like “uh… none” and change the subject. This works in most of the cases.

On rare occasions some people interpret this as an opportunity to invite me to their own Church, which invariantly comes with accompanied with the statement that “You need to go to a Church” or “Everybody needs a Church”. At that moment I say “Oh. I already have a Church… I don’t go to it because it’s not in a building”.

This usually confuses them for a second, after which I already walked away…

#272716 - 09/21/07 07:55 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
My religious status is on a 'need to know' basis.

I know, and that's all anyone needs to know.

It only takes once, of telling a trusted friend your religion to make up in your mind that you will most likely NEVER attempt such a thing again.

I have better things to do with My time than to try to convince some mental midget that I don't harm animals or children. Nooooo thank you. I try not to talk religion or politics with people I am close with.

Now, if a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness were to ring My doorbell.... that's a different story. I'd probably answer the door wearing My Ritual robe whilst holding a black candle in one hand and a holding a plate of cookies in the other.

Those people are fun!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#272719 - 09/21/07 08:19 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Evil_Eve]
shadowraven213 Offline

I notice that quite a few of you who choose to hide your religion for various reasons are americans.

Perhaps its a locality thing then as im from europe.

Bruja if you care to notice the question mark at the end of that quote you can quite clearly see it was intended as a question, sorry if this confused you.

#272720 - 09/21/07 08:20 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Lust Offline

The last time someone laughed at me, it was a squirrel named Susan. I ate her liver with a nice chiante, and some fava beans.

Mu Ha Ha Ha !
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#272721 - 09/21/07 08:27 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
 Quote:
I notice that quite a few of you who choose to hide your religion for various reasons are americans.

Perhaps its a locality thing then as im from europe.

No, I tend to think that We are realist (American or non- American) and that We have no time for shit disturbing or shit disturbers.

Why bring on any drama from others when need not be?

If you want to wave your Satanic flag high, this is fine, this is great, but do not complain when others aren't understanding of your religion. Nobody has to be.

If you are going to call attention upon yourself, take whatever goes along with that attention you receive.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#272725 - 09/21/07 08:39 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I am Canadian and no one knows of my affiliation.

Look, it all boils down to the fact that people have a mental block to the word Satan.

In the minds of many people who know me, I am the most unlikely person to be associated with Satanism. My professional and personal integrity is recognized and respected, my dress and mannerisms are not offensive (although many remark on my "flare"), and I don't fit any of the usual stereotypes out there.

Despite the fact that I am thought highly of, I know that employers and most acquaintances would be shocked were they to find out my affiliation.

They just wouldn't get it. Their view of me would grate harshly against their view of anything associated with Satan. Most are not fundamentalist Christians or even religious.

But to them, it's just weird.

At this point in my life, to reveal my membership would be stupid. And I don't want to be that kind of sinner.

#272729 - 09/21/07 08:45 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I usually tell people who I don't know well that I'm an Atheist.

It's a lot less of a headache. \:\)

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406071 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements