Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#272731 - 09/21/07 08:45 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Zaftig]
shadowraven213 Offline

I never complained i was merely curious and my curiosity has been sated by all those who posted with their experiences, so i think ill just leave this thread be lest it degenerate into a discussion i didnt intend to start.

#272733 - 09/21/07 09:00 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Rafiq]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
I wish I could be open about that part of myself without fear of reprisal.

I use your reply to make a point. I don't know you, and this is not a personal issue. This is a reply to a common thought that I wish to respond to.

If the people you tell knew anything about Satanism they would learn nothing new about you. Satanists exude Satanic qualities every day of their lives and need no label to prove it. So telling others the name of your religion reveals nothing "new" about you, just gives them a label to use for you.

Other religions shout their ideology from the roof-tops because their followers try to reach goals set forth by others to prove themselves to a deity (or priest, or tree, or aliens, whatever). They call their religion a "big part of their lives" because it defines much of what they strive to achieve. Satanists set our own goals, for our own reasons. We do not need to wave a flag to express our ambition because our ambition is expressed in our action.

#272738 - 09/21/07 09:10 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Drimlybunk]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
If the people you tell knew anything about Satanism they would learn nothing new about you. Satanists exude Satanic qualities every day of their lives and need no label to prove it. So telling others the name of your religion reveals nothing "new" about you, just gives them a label to use for you.

Now this is a good point, Drimlybunk.

Most individuals that I deal with on a daily basis do not know of my affiliation, and I find it interesting that the qualities that many of my associates find the most admirable are purely Satanic. They appreciate me and respect me for them. That's good enough for me.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#272757 - 09/21/07 11:04 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Rafiq]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I can fully understand the desire to be open and honest with people. I can understand the desire to be seen, to be understood, and to be treated well.

Because Satanic activities and insights do comprise a notable slice of my life, it is a bummer to not get to talk about them to certain friends, and it's a definite relief to be able to do so with others. Not having to dodge around Satanism allows me to get to the honest heart of certain matters, events, and opinions, and that can be a relief.

But, unfortunately, not everyone is mature, loyal, or insightful enough to be able to handle that kind of information properly. Even people you think are fine may harbor quiet resentment or fear that builds up slowly over time, or they may explode during a fight and just say everything nasty thing they can think of. Some people may become too enamored of your dark leanings, and turn into little intellectual black holes, or they may use you as a prop to tell funny or interesting stories, or to boost their own street-cred or popularity. Some particularly short-sighted people may lose the ability to see you as anything but THE TOKEN SATANIST, and will treat you accordingly.

I don't regret coming out to my parents and being honest with them, but even so, since they've fully come to terms with my Satanism and have become comfortable with it, this has brought a mixed bag of benefits and drawbacks. One drawback seems to be that they are blase about telling certain friends and friendly acquaintances about my Satanic friendships and activities, without necessarily divulging my affiliation directly. Now, they tend to read people pretty well, so they aren't going to tell anyone who is likely to flip out, but it's still a bit disconcerting because it potentially means that I'll have to deal with slack-jawed numbnuts and over-eager beavers who'll pester me with wide-eyed questions about my Satanist friends. It also means that I'm no longer fully in charge of the flow of information, and who's in and who's out of the loop.

Secrets can be powerful in so many ways. Choose to focus on the benefits and perks of keeping a secret, instead of just thinking of the negatives, the should-bes, or the could-bes. And, try to surround yourself with an inner circle of real friends with whom you can, hopefully, be honest.

But, Drimly is right that Satanism is who we are, so by being ourselves, we effectively share our Satanism, albeit without a label. Treasure having at least that level and type of connection with people.

And, always remember that only you can validate yourself and your practice, and that it can't come from other people.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#272766 - 09/21/07 11:30 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
I notice that quite a few of you who choose to hide your religion for various reasons are americans.

Perhaps its a locality thing then as im from europe.

I don't think it's an American thing to hide the fact that one is a Satanist...It's in most cases the SMARTEST thing to do so.
I'm from Europe as well, and I prefer not wasting my time on curious idiots who like to find out what I believe in. Most of the time my answer is "I do believe in ME...which is a pretty clear answer in my opinion.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#272770 - 09/21/07 11:48 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
None on the i-net have ever laughed at me, not for long anyway. Sometimes they think I joke because I can be very sarcastic, but after a while they'll notice I'm serious and get interested.
The i-net is anonymous enough to keep conversations like these "safe".

In real life it never happened, and never will, because I simply don't tell them unless I'm certain they're intelligent enough to understand.
It's also a matter of who needs to know. I used to be pretty open about it, but as I get older I keep it more and more to myself.

#272801 - 09/21/07 01:29 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Old_Pig]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
You are one of the most uniquely clever men I have had the opportunity to become acquainted with.

#272856 - 09/21/07 06:36 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
One sure truth: People laugh when they become nervous. It's a rickety attempt to mask their, how shall we say it..."dis-ease" ;\)

Edited by AugustWolfe (09/21/07 09:53 PM)

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272867 - 09/21/07 07:44 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Raf_G Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Central America

After a couple of times I answered "Satanism", I rather not tell my religious tendencies.

Now if someone asks me about it, I just tell them "I am not a spiritual person".

That is usually enough.

Hail Satan!!!

#272869 - 09/21/07 07:47 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: Chess]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
You are right, Chess. There is obviously something about us that needs to have that aspect that is not common, domesticated or comforting to the herd.

Another thing we hear around here a lot is, “I do not want to lie. I want to be honest”. Why? If you have decided that others knowing that you are a Satanist will be deleterious to your well-being, finances or even your life, why do you think those louts deserve the truth? I live in hick-town. Education is not a high priority. We have already been one of the lucky recipients of love letters from the friendly neighborhood sheet wearers. I owe them nothing…especially the truth.

They are sheep, weak and beneath your undo concern. A Satanist is aware that they are an animal, dangerous and on the prowl. One of the tools of any animal, seen as a predator by the sheep, is stealth. Lying is a form of stealth. Survival is the highest law.

Welcome to the jungle, Baby!

See…now I done gone and channeled the spirit of Axl Rose.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#272890 - 09/21/07 09:27 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
 Originally Posted By: roho_the_rooster

Welcome to the jungle, Baby!

See…now I done gone and channeled the spirit of Axl Rose.

Well, at least Brett Michaels didn't show up by mistake! ;\)

And one good turn deserves another:

"You learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play..."

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272921 - 09/22/07 01:13 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Drimlybunk]
Rafiq Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Idaho
 Originally Posted By: Drimlybunk
Satanists exude Satanic qualities every day of their lives and need no label to prove it.

That is a very comforting thought. No need to make a big show when just living my life as a Satanist speaks louder than the S-word itself. I guess the biggest motivation I have for announcing my infernal persuasion is just to jab back at the Christian society that takes so many jabs at me. I struggle with this feeling quite often and I think you have given me some closure. Thank you, Drimly.

#272999 - 09/22/07 11:25 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Rafiq]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
We are not a support group.

#273001 - 09/22/07 11:31 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Drimlybunk]
Thaumaturge Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
I really cringe when I read things like this. A Satanist is not born to smite x-tians. I won't speak for all Satanist, but I was born to glorify myself not jab the worshipers of the dead redeemer. they are who they are. Sure, I will play with the occasional door knocking jehovah's witness, but I am not going to waste my time berating others for not seeing what I have been born to understand.
Use your time to better yourself and be more than they say you can be. Don't engage these people in their battles of witless contretemps.

#273006 - 09/22/07 11:50 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Unknown Offline

Loc: 611 Calif. St.
 Quote:
how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

I have never had such a question come up as a topic for discussion among anyone who is a Christian or otherwise. There are plenty of things worth discussing and religion to me is not one of them. Especially with those who have NO concept as to what Satanism is. There are far too many morons out there who will willingly misunderstand anything on the subject just for the sake of debate.

On the rare occasions I have been invited to a church or asked what my religion is I simply tell them no thank you or that it is none of their business.

Satanism Demands study and not worship!
http://compleatwitch.blogspot.com/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-classical/

Avatar used with special permission from Reverend CoffinRust. www.coffinrust.com

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43640 Topics
404157 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements