Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#273011 - 09/22/07 12:07 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Unknown]
DarkSentry Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Florida
I've learned enough from past experiences that it's better to just keep my mouth shut about it, as it's generally impossible to have an intelligent debate with those blinded by faith, and to save my energy for my self-development without engaging in needless drama.

As I've grown older, I've definitely grown past the "flaunting" aspect and prefer to remain as the invisible wolf among the sheep.

#273907 - 09/26/07 02:31 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: G.F.V.]
AztecRed Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I have the type of stature and outward personality that affords me the privilege of never being laughed at to my face. With that said, I only advertise my Satanism when it benefits me to do so.

#273975 - 09/26/07 10:02 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Thanks!

#274088 - 09/27/07 03:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Old_Pig]
Luxxe. Offline

Loc: Atlanta , Georgia
I have people ask me my religion all the time. Most of the time, unless I know them well.. I ignore the subject completely. I have found that it leads to me having to explain myself, which I can't be bothered to do most of the time.

The fact that most of the people that question your religion are of less intelligence only adds on the annoyance chart.

When I feel that someone is worth my time, and they have proven themselves to be worthy of friendship then I am open and honest and blunt.....

For the most part, people just aren't worth the time.

I would rather spend each moment at least TRYING to do something that I enjoy and defending my religion to people who aren't ever going to understand ANYWAYS, is just pointless.

#274693 - 10/01/07 02:12 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: DarkSentry]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: DarkSentry

As I've grown older, I've definitely grown past the "flaunting" aspect and prefer to remain as the invisible wolf among the sheep.

Exactly. ;\)

#274880 - 10/02/07 08:45 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Luigi]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Quote:
Satanism? I just tell them that I'm a devotee of the Lord of Coke and Hot Dogs.

Hooray for the LoCaHD!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#274882 - 10/02/07 08:57 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
i was trying to see if other satanists have had this experience, so i can try to understand if peoples perceptions of satanism is to blame for it.

No, I can't say that I've had somebody outright "laugh" at it. I'm sure there have been a few people who gave a slight laugh out of disbelief, which is what many to relieve tension. But no, I can't think of a time when somebody literally laughed at me along the lines of "Oh, you're like one of those losers who claims to have magical powers".

I guess one of the reasons for this is that I don't radiate the pretentiousness that would go along with this. Dr. LaVey talked about the strange feeling of seeing Satanists show up to greet him at the airport in ritual robes, and how they'd wear them to Denny's right afterwards. I'd like to think that I don't show the same unintentional silliness. And being somebody over 30, I can't say I receive the "goth/emo" subculture accusations.

Also, like many here, it's extremely rare that anybody asks about my religion anyway. I also realized a long time ago that the title "Satanist" holds certain social limits, so I pretty much only reveal my religion to people who I know are close and mature enough to trust. At best I'll tell them I'm an atheist (which strictly speaking is true). I sure don't hang a baphomet banner in my office.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#274889 - 10/02/07 09:53 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
That question doesn't usually come up, but when it does I simply ask them anout their beliefs. It distracts them from their curiosity about me because people love to talk about themselves. Then I change the subject using this technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLTdArPtlU

Edited by Astratus (10/02/07 09:56 AM)

#275595 - 10/06/07 11:02 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

I do the same. But mostly I am not asked at all. I do not do anything to truly cause me any undue attention, other than the usual amount I get from being "not of the herd."

Its a funny irony when I realize that someone is in awe of my subtle differences from others...and wants to be a part of my world. They have NO clue.

By the way, I hope to have my membership in by the end of November, possibly in December. What a wonderful 'holiday' gift that would be to myself!

#275674 - 10/06/07 10:28 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
HELL -o, and forgive me for interrupting.

I am not yet a Satanist, in the sense that I haven't read the S. Bible yet. What you are discussing here are human issues, and I am a human, so I think I can comment here. "Shadowraven", remeber your own words...you come from a very secular country. I might add, knowing a few Danes as I do, that it is a country with a more sophisticated population who don't give a crap if someone is Satanist, or botonist, or whatever. I'm also speaking as a person from an equally sophisticated country (Canada), but who has lived in the U.S.A. for 12 years. Remember that attitudes are different in America. I mean no offense to Americans - and I can't stress that enough - but the reality is that America is 100 years behind everyone else on attitudes towards simple things like this. I am a TEACHER over here, so I can vouch for Bruja's concerns: I would have no hesitation in admitting my Satanistic tendencies in Canada, as a teacher. (In fact, it would probably score me a job there.) In America, on the other hand, I don't dare. It's a very Christian-obsessed country. Although 1/2 of the population are actually quite progressive, the opposite half might try to ruin you if they ever found out. I hope I make sense. If not, oh well, I tried.

Hail Satan.

#275675 - 10/06/07 10:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
My above comment was displaced a bit, I should have responded directly to Shadowraven's earlier post.

#275791 - 10/07/07 09:02 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: DarkSentry]
Moon Shadow Offline

Loc: ohio
Hi all,

I'm a Wiccan who is interested in Satanism. I wear a pentagram necklace and usually wear it under my blouse. When it has sliped out, I have shocked people badly, as they think I am a Satanist! I have known Wiccans who have been put in dangerous situations because of wearing their pentagrams.

I can only imagine what would happen to a Satanist!

Teresa Salyer (Moon Shadow)

#275797 - 10/07/07 09:16 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Moon Shadow]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I have a reaction to your 'religion':

Either you were raised where the film 'Deliverance' was made (you know where people will hang you for a witch for having a book of matches on you) or you hang out with some pretty daft people in general.

I have had different reactions upon others seeing My Baphomet (usually GOOD THINGS) but nothing as you mentioned. You are being melodramatic is My guess.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#275803 - 10/07/07 10:19 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Moon Shadow]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Teresa Salyer, you've been asked twice to post your own introduction in the proper forum.

Take care of that, or we'll be saying goodbye to Moon Shadow sooner rather than later.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#275871 - 10/07/07 03:56 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Rodim Offline

happened to me. though i cover the subject by going along with the group. i don't like to get into fights about my religion. because people are, in reality, scared of satanism. they don't understand it. so i keep it that way. the last thing i want is to start a conversation with an ignorant fool.

Hail Satan!

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements