Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#275984 - 10/08/07 10:39 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Evil_Eve]
Moon Shadow Offline

Loc: ohio
Dear Evil Eve,

That is the best thing I've ever heard in dealing with them! Hope you have that black candle handy!

Teresa

#276161 - 10/09/07 08:35 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
I am a TEACHER over here, so I can vouch for Bruja's concerns: I would have no hesitation in admitting my Satanistic tendencies in Canada, as a teacher. (In fact, it would probably score me a job there.)

You can't be serious. I sure wouldn't try it.

#276171 - 10/09/07 09:24 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: HellofallHells]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:

I was wondering if there was something about the beautiful country of Canada that I just didn't know. ;\)

I realize that there are differences, but that comment seemed a bit extreme to me, especially in regards to teaching.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#276203 - 10/09/07 12:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Alberta, Canada
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

ive had a few people do this over the years, most people are just stunned for a second but then start to inquire as to the nature of the religion as they dont understand it

i write this here because although it doesnt bother me and i believe that is more of a nervous reaction than a mocking one but theres a part of me that thinks peoples opinion of the religion is something that should be mocked for some reason as if i had replyed "i honestly believe that the earth is flat and worship my squirrel susan"

Those who know don't talk, those who talk don't know.

Keep it to yourself. Your life may depend on it.

#276204 - 10/09/07 12:36 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Bruja
 Quote:

I was wondering if there was something about the beautiful country of Canada that I just didn't know. ;\)

I realize that there are differences, but that comment seemed a bit extreme to me, especially in regards to teaching.

The social climate in Canada is virtually the same as in the USA. I don't know why people think that Canada is some sort of liberal utopian paradise, nevermind that the Panic started in Vancouver BC. Needless to say I stand my my previous post. I keep my shit on the DL. I value my life.

#276255 - 10/09/07 05:58 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

I live in Vancouver, which is possibly the most liberal place in Canada (so far as I've come across, though Toronto and Montreal are probably very close if not the same).

I'm not a teacher, but if I were I don't think I would mention it at all, let alone think it would score me a job.

Maybe for teaching something like art or design to adults you would run into a situation where no one cared, but remember that it doesn't matter if "1/2 of the population are actually quite progressive" - it takes just one jackass who isn't but who has leverage to ruin your day.

#276256 - 10/09/07 06:03 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Nidhogg]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

I guess it depends on the circles you travel in. My experience of Vancouver is pretty liberal, but those are the people I surround myself with.

Nonetheless, while I don't feel my life depends on keeping my mouth shut, I certainly wouldn't advertise my affiliations on my resume.

#276272 - 10/09/07 07:12 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Nidhogg]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
The social climate in Canada is virtually the same as in the USA. I don't know why people think that Canada is some sort of liberal utopian paradise, nevermind that the Panic started in Vancouver BC.

The accuracy of this statement would depend largely on what region of the United States you are using in your comparison.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#276289 - 10/09/07 08:59 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Coyote Offline

Loc: Nevada
 Originally Posted By: Bruja
 Quote:
The social climate in Canada is virtually the same as in the USA. I don't know why people think that Canada is some sort of liberal utopian paradise, nevermind that the Panic started in Vancouver BC.

The accuracy of this statement would depend largely on what region of the United States you are using in your comparison.

True. What other state besides Nevada can you get drunk 24/7, gamble 24/7 and go to a legal whore house?

I don't think anyone here has justification to frown on Satanism. If someone criticized Satanism here, I would say "That means alot to me coming from a drunk hooker gambling away your life savings."

I haven't traveled much East of Utah but I hear how alcohol sales are cut off at certain times or completely dry on certain days, and Gambling(*) and prostitution are Illegal. I am grateful to live in a state that has a little more freedom than other states.

(*)As far as I know gambling is legal in New Jersey Still but I don't know about prostitution and 24/7 alcohol)

#276418 - 10/10/07 02:18 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

True and all the same it DOES matter where in what given country you live in, but it also depend on what company you keep and circles you travel in as well. I have nothing to fear from my comrades and associates however if it got out and became generally known then I would likely have problems. I live in Alberta which is by far the most conservative and christian of all the provinces but I have not really encountered any rabid evengelistic types. Nevertheless I know they're out there and I know many of them would shoot a Satanist in the face if they ever encountered one. What is legal is one thing, what is socially acceptable is often quite another.

#276454 - 10/10/07 07:10 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Nidhogg]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
Well, at least I can say that I've triggered a useful conversation. Satanists live in many different parts of the world. I think a dialog on the different levels of acceptance in different locations, is apropo.

I may have been a little off the wall in saying it would probably help me GET a job in Canada, that was obviously leaning towards sarcasm for theatrical effect. But I was not off the wall about how progressive the place is, especially its education community. Vancouver and Toronto may be competing for label of "most liberal", (...or at least, a one-way competition which only some people in Vancouver even recognize or care about) (and each can have the title, as far as I'm concerned) but each location is vastly different from the next, as Klockwerk Black noted.

I honestly would NOT be affraid to tell someone in the public teaching community in Toronto about being affiliated with the C.O.S. On the other hand, they would probably tell me to keep it to myself for my own protection - i.e. your fellow teachers are one thing, parents are ANOTHER. The vast majority of parents would not care, but there could be that one idiot, as someone mentioned above. I definitely wouldn't pull out a pentagram in one of Ontario's private Catholic schools, either.

But then, I wouldn't be interested in teaching in one, as I'm sure most Satanists would agree.

I have to STRONGLY disagree with whoever wrote "the social climate in Canada is the same as in the U.S.A." I have known thousands of Americans and Canadians, having lived almost equal halves of my 37 years in each country. I've lived in different parts of each country and travelled both countries thoroughly. I've seen that the two populations, evaluated as wholes, are VERY different.

That is not to say that one doesn't find parallels for any region or attitude you care to name. I think it is the presence of parallels that make people mistakenly think that the social climate is the same. Boston - where I live now - has people whose values are overwhelmingly like those in my city of birth, for instance. But, the proliferation of values and attitudes in each nation does not in any way match, when evaluated as whole nations. There is no way in hell that 51% of the Canadian population would have voted for George Bush, with his stated platform. Nor would any of the anti-gay bills that 11 states passed that year, stand a chance anywhere in Canada. The N.D.P. would probably be beaten to within an inch of their lives in the vast number of areas in the U.S.A. I could bore you with much more, but no - the social climate in the two are not the same.

#276499 - 10/10/07 10:48 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Ortrud Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I never tell anyone. The only person who knows (outside of the anonymity of this forum) is my partner. There have been some times when I've been tempted to spill the beans to colleagues, especially after a few cocktails, but I hold myself back. Surprisingly,there are alot of extreme Christians in the opera business. Everyone tries to be fair with them and be tolerant of their religious shit, but they don't do the same for others. Ah, my bitterness is showing.

Hail Satan!
Ortrud

#276531 - 10/11/07 03:03 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't pull out a pentagram in one of Ontario's private Catholic schools, either.

But then, I wouldn't be interested in teaching in one, as I'm sure most Satanists would agree.

I think all of those schools require prospective employees to sign a sworn statement of faith anyway.

Catholic hospitals tend to have more of a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude - unless you're applying for a "Vision and Mission" department job or to be the President of the organization or chairman of the board, in which case you can't even be Protestant, but I've heard that a lot of faith-based schools not only hire only the religion they teach (which makes sense - if you're paying a few grand a year for your kids to go to a private Jewish school you don't want a fundamentalist Muslim or the Grand Dragon of the KKK teaching them math any more than Catholics want Satanists teaching their kids) but they may even have to swear to live by certain religious laws upon pain of being fired.

The teachers' college at Trinity Western University still has their students swear to abstain from premarital or homosexual sex and a few other rules to live by as well.

As you say, of course, the odds of a Satanist wanting to work in those environments is very very slim.

Re: Vancouver and liberalism. I'm not sure it's a competition per se, I was just commenting that mostly no one cares what you do here (unless you light up a cigarette too close to one of those health nuts, of course...) as opposed to some other places in Canada which are nosier and more conservative.

There is such a thing as being too liberal, of course, and in a few weeks the annual kerfuffle about trying to include everyone and not offend anyone during the holidays will start up again. Never seems to be a problem in Winnipeg, from what I've seen. ;\)

#276624 - 10/11/07 02:03 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Maqlu]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
 Originally Posted By: Maqlu
1) I think all of those schools require prospective employees to sign a sworn statement of faith anyway.

2) The teachers' college at Trinity Western University still has their students swear to abstain from premarital or homosexual sex and a few other rules to live by as well.

3) There is such a thing as being too liberal

1) All I can say to that is, as an aethesit, I looked into teaching at Catholic schools in California, when I was living there. I can't speak about Ontario, but in California the Catholic schools do hire non-Catholic teachers. You just teach the subjects from a secular point of view. The school I did teach at was Christian, but I didn't have to teach anything to do with religion. I taught the topic of ancient Greece and homosexuality there, though!

2) Is that a Canadian school? If so, that's illegal discrimination by the Charter of Rights, so that's amazing (not passing a value judgment here, just that it's surprising).

3) Yep. Just ask Bob Rae!

I had a thought here. Are there any schools openly dedicated to the Church of Satan? I'm guessing there aren't, and if not, is it time for one?

#276627 - 10/11/07 02:17 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
 Quote:
Are there any schools openly dedicated to the Church of Satan? I'm guessing there aren't, and if not, is it time for one?

In the same sense of learning that a school can provide, there is The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Rituals, The Satanic Witch, The Devil's Notebook, Satan Speaks, The Secret Life of a Satanist, The Church of Satan, and The Satanic Scriptures.

That is the curriculum and life is the classroom.

You can't produce Satanists on an assembly line, and why would you want too?

Hehe.

Edited by Poetaster (10/11/07 02:23 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12106 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405520 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements