Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#276633 - 10/11/07 02:58 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
 Quote:
Are there any schools openly dedicated to the Church of Satan?

No need for it. And if there was, it would probably be burned down to the ground in a week.

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#276637 - 10/11/07 03:17 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: spook show]
Evil Jack Offline

Loc: Florida
I agree, the world as a whole fully rejects the concept of Satanism, and individuality for that matter. The second you try and be diffrent, society shuns you like yesterdays garbage,but then again,who needs a society full of stale mediocracy anyways?

Edited by Evil Jack (10/11/07 03:18 PM)

#276641 - 10/11/07 03:54 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

1) Guess it depends on the school. I've seen ads for teachers from some of the Christian schools come up on an art careers site I use, and those ads usually mention a statement of faith. When I was a kid, I did four years in Catholic school (elementary, mind you) and the teachers all led daily prayer sessions and we had daily blocks of religion just like math and writing. I can see how at a high school where each subject has its own teacher they might cram all the religious study into one class and the other teachers can ignore it, though.

Fortunately I was in public school long before then, though, so I have no direct experience.

2) Trinity Western University is an evangelical college located out in the suburbs of Vancouver. (Abbotsford, I think). I think there have been legal challenges, but it is a private university, and let's face it, no one who isn't an evangelical Christian goes there. Most evangelical Christian kids don't go there, even. Not exactly a hotbed of cutting edge research, if you get my drift. Not the most widely respected degree-granting institution either when it comes to the job market, either.

Usually the issues come up because I think the teachers' college sends its students to the University of British Columbia in their last year, and UBC is a secular institution. Every so often you hear something about it in regards to people wondering if their grads are really qualified to teach in the public system where they will have to be fair to students who are gay or non-Christian, etc. (In other words, when it's a slow news week, comments appear in the paper.)

I think they're allowed away with it because of being a private institution, kind of like how Fit City for Women has the right to refuse memberships to men. Something like that.

As for your last question, well, I understand a lot of Satanic parents homeschool. Interesting though the idea would be, if I had kids, I don't think I'd want them going to the school everyone knows is full of Satanists - too easy of a target.

#276681 - 10/11/07 08:59 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Poetaster]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
 Originally Posted By: Poetaster
You can't produce Satanists on an assembly line, and why would you want too?
Hehe.

I didn't say a school for teaching the religion of Satanism. I meant a school which Satanists send their children to, where the usual curriculum is taught, but where the teachers and parents are Church of Satan.

#276682 - 10/11/07 09:03 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Maqlu]
Mr. Mischief Offline

[quote=Maqlu]1) I can see how at a high school where each subject has its own teacher they might cram all the religious study into one class and the other teachers can ignore it
quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head here - I was only applying to high-school jobs.

#276683 - 10/11/07 09:07 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Are you so sure that all Satanists have their children in their best interest? Also, here is a link to a thread where comments are made that answer to the "Satanic school" idea.

LINK

#276684 - 10/11/07 09:10 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Maqlu]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: Maqlu
if I had kids, I don't think I'd want them going to the school everyone knows is full of Satanists - too easy of a target.

On the other hand, these kids will be protected within the school. I think they'd be easier targets if they were alone in a sea of brainwashed Christians, and the lone child of a Satanic family got discovered. All HELL would break loose, so to speak.

I really am not that pessimistic about the possibility of a C.O.S. school, it just depends where it is located. On the other hand, there's the issue of NEED that several people have mentioned here.

On that note, there may not be any need from the perspective of teaching Satanism, but what about the reciprocal of that...the need to AVOID being taught Christianity? Is that not a need?

#276687 - 10/11/07 09:18 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
There comes a time...

...when questions should yield to research.

That's how I see it.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#276688 - 10/11/07 09:22 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: HoundDog
Are you so sure that all Satanists have their children in their best interest? Also, here is a link to a thread where comments are made that answer to the "Satanic school" idea.

Your link answers a question about teaching the precepts of Satanism, but that's not teh question I originally asked. My question was about forming a school attended by Satanists. A few people in this thread seem to be confused about my question, so I'll clarify here: It does not follow that the religion is taught in such a school. The pragmatic purposes of forming such a school would be 1) Avoiding a Christian curriculum, since that is the only choice in all of the other schools; and 2) Avoiding ostricism and persecution, like young Asa Coon. (Not commenting on Asa's morality here, just what happened to him because of his Gothic costume...he stood out, he was beaten up.)

#276691 - 10/11/07 09:30 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Mr. Mischief Offline

For Poetaster's benefit, I have reprinted a post I made just before he referred to me as a monkey. Since he is a research- oriented gentleman, he might read it this time. He will then notice that I have never recommended the teaching of Satanism in school.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Mischief
 Originally Posted By: Poetaster
You can't produce Satanists on an assembly line, and why would you want too?
Hehe.

I didn't say a school for teaching the religion of Satanism. I meant a school which Satanists send their children to, where the usual curriculum is taught, but where the teachers and parents are Church of Satan.

#276694 - 10/11/07 09:57 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Look, it's cool that you're excited about Satanism. But you still have a lot to learn about it. The kinds of big projects and reforms you're suggesting aren't really what the Church of Satan is working on right now.

Your proposals would have more credibility if you spent some time getting to know the source materials and learning to apply them in the concrete, to your everyday life. Slow down. Act locally. Show us you know how to make your own personal life more to your own liking before you start talking about changing the face of society at large. Show your good faith by joining the CoS, if you like.

Then, if the Church of Satan likes what you're doing, they'll call you.

Until that time, you're an anonymous stranger, in no position to prove you know what you're talking about. Understand?

Take this for whatever you think it's worth.

Edited by reprobate (10/11/07 10:04 PM)

#276712 - 10/12/07 12:10 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>On the other hand, these kids will be protected within the school. I think they'd be easier targets if they were alone in a sea of brainwashed Christians, and the lone child of a Satanic family got discovered. All HELL would break loose, so to speak.

It is not hard to keep a secret. Have you ever really tried? You would be amazed at how easy it is.

>>On that note, there may not be any need from the perspective of teaching Satanism, but what about the reciprocal of that...the need to AVOID being taught Christianity? Is that not a need?

An intelligent and life loving person can easily distinguish that Christianity is not for them even if they are raised in it. There are plenty of CoS members who prove that.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#276714 - 10/12/07 12:20 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: reprobate]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: reprobate
...Take this for whatever you think it's worth.

I will.

#276719 - 10/12/07 12:30 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Discipline]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: Discipline

1) It is not hard to keep a secret. Have you ever really tried?

2) An intelligent and life loving person can easily distinguish that Christianity is not for them even if they are raised in it. There are plenty of CoS members who prove that.

1) I'm afraid I can't share that information with you.

2) So, it's not about protecting children from any kind of indoctrination, because when they reach adulthood they will make a natural decision about religion anyways. I seem to have been a bit naive, in other words. To protect children from another idea would implicitly be indoctrinating them to Satanism, and that isn't exactly C.O.S.-like.

If I still don't understand, well, I'm sure my Bible will arrive some day so I can read it.

#276722 - 10/12/07 12:38 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
1) You learn well, young Jedi.

2) If you can take your child to the side and talk to them with clarity and give it to them straight then you have given them the tools to avoid indoctrination.

Do you think that indoctrinating a child in Satanism is truly the best means of parenting?. Teach your children responsibility, respect, discipline, and to enjoy life without drowning them in your own agendas. If they like what they hear from you and are curious they will ask you.

I have a friend who was raised by two outstanding Satanists and attended a Christian university. I admire him more than I do a lot of others, and not just because he is a Satanist but because of who he is as an individual.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43876 Topics
405559 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements