Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#272505 - 09/20/07 03:41 PM Peoples reactions to your religion
shadowraven213 Offline

how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

ive had a few people do this over the years, most people are just stunned for a second but then start to inquire as to the nature of the religion as they dont understand it

i write this here because although it doesnt bother me and i believe that is more of a nervous reaction than a mocking one but theres a part of me that thinks peoples opinion of the religion is something that should be mocked for some reason as if i had replyed "i honestly believe that the earth is flat and worship my squirrel susan"

#272506 - 09/20/07 03:43 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
None. I don't tell people about my involvement with Satanism.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#272509 - 09/20/07 03:51 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Discipline]
Surt Offline
Banned

Loc: New York NY
None. I never tell.

#272515 - 09/20/07 04:05 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
This question among Satanists of whether to make their stance known differs from one to the other. How people react to you and what importance it has in your life must be considered first.

Some are not at all opposed to the general public knowing they are Satanists, and among that grouping, there are some who are wonderful public representatives of Satanism, and then there are some who run through supermarkets with a Devil suit on waving the biggest hood ornament Baphomet they can find (in the figurative sense)- I hope you aren't one of those. Ridicule will surely come to that one.
I try to be very selective about who I reveal this personal aspect of myself to. There are people out there who are not worthy of that information about me, and I've learned to spot them and keep them out of my business.
It doesn't seem prudent to invite combat of that sort, unless you just enjoy it! When you profess to be a Satanist in public indescretionately, you are a reflection of the CoS, whether an actual member or not. Just be wise and knowledgeable enough to practice responsibility where this is concerned.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272537 - 09/20/07 04:37 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
Sigurthr Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.P. of MI, USA
I have only told one person aside from my lovely wife. She is a long time friend and xtian who is losing her faith; she had asked me for advice in spiritual matters and I told her my opinion and stance on things such as the role of religion, the importance of individuality, and my overall impression of xtianity. Nearing the end of our discussion she asked what my religion was since I had said that I do not count myself in with the lot as an atheist because of their strongly xtian influenced morality codes, to which I replied "Satanist". To say the least she was surprised, and thinking of myself as the "normal" satanist (lower case intended) that she and her family was familiar with. After dispelling the usual myths I directed her towards the CoS website, as well as my own MySpace page to further inform her. Her fear and anxiety turned to intrigue and her opinion of her long time friend remained as it did prior to our discussion.

My personal opinion on informing others of your status as a Satanist is do so solely if there are no negative repercussions to be had from it. Satanism is a pragmatic religion that needs no martyrs, nor do you want to complain about something you need not have placed upon yourself. With that in mind I feel you should be Proud to call yourself a Satanist. We are the elite, after all.
"After an inferior man has been taught a doctrine of superiority he will remain as inferior as he was before his lesson. He will merely assume himself to be superior, and attempt to employ his recently learned tactics against his own kind, whom he will then consider his inferiors. With each inferior man enjoying what he considers his unique role, the entire bunch will be reduced to a pack of strutting, foppish, self-centered monkeys gamboling about on an island of ignorance. There they will play their games under the supervision of their keeper, who was and will always be a superior man."
-Magus Anton Szandor LaVey (The Devil's Notebook, "Diabolica")

Undefiled Wisdom
**Formerly known as "Romenadan"**

#272538 - 09/20/07 04:37 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
shadowraven213 Offline

so why when people ask you what your religion is do you lie to them or just say "i dont have one"?

i am proud to be a satanist and anyone that asks me that question i dont feel the need to lie or conceal it the only exception are those that are close to me but who i feel would be hurt by their own misconceptions about satanism and would be unwilling to learn anything different(ie my girlfriends christian parents)but they have thankfully never asked me and i would refuse to answer if they did as they should be able to work out that im not a christian by now :)if someone else told them and they started to say things to me about it i would just not talk about it or try to educate them depending on their reaction but at the end of the day i think it would change very little in my life

i dont go out of my way to tell people im a satanist and people dont ask me often enough for the whole world to know and so it doesnt cause me a problem to tell people who ask even those that i know would try to hurt me with the information because they cant because anyone who asks gets the truth which usually shuts them up or makes them ask questions the answers to which they either agree with (hillarious if they happen to be christian) or they entirely disagree with in which case i just shrug and reply "well you asked me"

what i orginally asked was for people to reply with their experiences of actually telling people so if you dont tell anyone then why did you reply to me? do you think i shouldnt tell people?

*edit* thank you for your post Romenadan that experience is like the majority of mine usually its just freinds who ask and i reply to them and then they understand after a few questions ive never had any negative repercussions from people knowing who i am and perhaps throughout the life that i have lead its actually protected me from some outright idiots who knew what they where dealing with early on \:\)

im still looking for people who have been laughed at though and want to discuss why

Edited by shadowraven213 (09/20/07 04:43 PM)

#272546 - 09/20/07 04:51 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
People fall to their knees long before religion ever becomes an issue.

#272553 - 09/20/07 04:59 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Max Faust]
shadowraven213 Offline

might be an interesting position for them to fall into but doesnt answer my question

max_faust your post makes it unclear as to weather you actually tell anyone or not or what their reaction is

#272556 - 09/20/07 05:00 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
so why when people ask you what your religion is do you lie to them or just say "i dont have one"?

Self preservation.

I had a pretty hard time reading the rest of that post, as your paragraphs are just one long run on sentence. I suspect that I'm not missing much, though. This topic has been discussed to death.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#272558 - 09/20/07 05:04 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
weather you actually tell

I tell them to fall on their fucking knees. That's my offer.

After they have performed you-know-what, maybe we can talk of religion.

#272563 - 09/20/07 05:23 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
how many people have you when asked what your religion is and you reply with "satanism" have actually laughed at you?

You'd be surprised how often I don't get asked that question \:\) People who know me well of course go to my blog or my MySpace page and see the quote from Anton LaVey and are free to draw whatever conclusions they want from that.

But most of the time people just make assumptions based on my interests and the way I dress etc. which is fine with me, since on the whole I live in a very secular country where any deep religious beliefs are often considered embarrassing.

With some friends or co-workers I sometimes refer them to the nine satanic statements, the satanic sins or the rules of the earth - like for instance one co-worker who complained about a person at a customer site who would not stop talking about her personal problems. That was a perfect opportunity to introduce rule number two.

Then just when everybody expects me to be all black metal I suddenly come up with something like Polka Floyd (a band that plays Pink Floyd tributes in polka time), just to make sure that I remain the custard pie when they think they have me nailed to the wall \:\)

#272566 - 09/20/07 05:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
shadowraven213 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bruja

This topic has been discussed to death.

this wasnt what i had in mind for this thread just an honest question to replys that i had, plus if you had noticed my post count you could quite clearly see im new to posting here and dont read everything on these boards.

as i stated if you had read it i dont have any problems, or negative repercussions from telling people i am a satanist when they ask me, so what makes you think that you would come to harm if you did? or perhaps its fear of ridicule which would actually add something to this thread and we could discuss it.

sorry about my punctuation im not used to haveing to use it, i shall fix it for you.

#272567 - 09/20/07 05:35 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I normally don't tell people, unless I'm rather sure they're trustworthy. I'm also more willing to be open about it on the Internet, because of the anonymity and distance and all that.

Occasionally, some people will initially be confused or even a bit worried, and people on the Internet in particular will be dismissive. But, I try to clarify as best I can, and let my actions speak for themselves. Many people eventually come around once they realize I'm not into anything flaky or dangerous. The people who refuse to come around against all odds are usually stubborn idiots, so to hell with 'em.

I usually tell people that I am "complicated," and either let people decide what that means, or, at their insistence, say vague-sounding things that I know will appeal to, or at least not offend, their sensibilities. I then urge them to talk about themselves more.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#272568 - 09/20/07 05:38 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

When (if) someone asks and they are not of the group I wish to share that with, I have no problem telling them "It's a personal matter", or, "I don't discuss my religious views", if I am asked if I am a christian, I simply reply, "No, I am not."

Why do you wish to hear others' experiences at being "made fun of or laughed at"? You ought to have enough inner strength to be absolutely unbothered by skeptics, and it seems you are bothered by them, or else you wouldn't have asked the question to begin with.
I offered you a strong, wise way to approach the issue. I don't have a sob story for you.

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#272572 - 09/20/07 05:43 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
plus if you had noticed my post count you could quite clearly see im new to posting here and dont read everything on these boards.

Yes, that's crystal clear to me, and probably your first mistake.

Quote:
as i stated if you had read it i dont have any problems, or negative repercussions from telling people i am a satanist when they ask me, so what makes you think that you would come to harm if you did?

Just because you choose to discuss your personal business doesn't mean that it's the wisest choice for everyone , and any intelligent person would see how guarding certain information would be beneficial to them in various situations. Splashing around the fact that you are a Satanist to people could be harmful in many ways, especially for individuals who work in certain fields.

Quote:
or perhaps its fear of ridicule which would actually add something to this thread and we could discuss it.

There are many members of the Church of Satan who choose to not advertise their affiliation. I'm quite sure that fear of ridicule is not high on the list of reasons why.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#272575 - 09/20/07 05:50 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
August-Wolfe Offline

Well handled, Ms. B!!

#272576 - 09/20/07 05:51 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
shadowraven213 Offline

august i think you have failed to see what i was trying to say

i was trying to see if other satanists have had this experience, so i can try to understand if peoples perceptions of satanism is to blame for it.

For example depictions in popular media or perhaps the new trend of "goths" and "emos" and other such groups being mislabeled as satanic which again would go even deeper, but no one seems to have scratched the surface or even grasped thats where i wanted this thread to go.

If you had read my reply you would see that it doesnt bother me, i'm just interested to see if anyone else has had the same experience, i started this thread to share information and have it shared with me.

Im not asking for a sob story and never did, please read my original post again it may help you to understand.

Its clear that some people have not read or understood the first post.

For all those that have thanks for your imput.

#272578 - 09/20/07 05:52 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: TrojZyr]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

I've had similar experiences. Generally people don't find out until they've known me a while, and by that time they've already realized what sort of person I am (ie - creative, reliable, intellligent, capable, usually with similar interests to theirs if we're hanging out together, etc.) so it seems they extrapolate their idea of Satanism from their experience with me instead of whatever rumor they've heard. The exception is when I might date someone - I want to know his reaction before I sleep with him. Even then, it's never "Hi, I'm Maqlu. I'm a Satanist - what about you?" I wait until the date is going well and gradually steer the conversation into philosophical areas to test the water first.

I've never been laughed at for it, and only a couple of times have I come across obnoxious reactions (and those were pretty much back in my university days with nitwit classmates where if I ran into people like that today I wouldn't say anything to them). I have come across some people who were a little confused, where they had trouble reconciling getting along with me with whichever stupid fables they'd been told in childhood Sunday school. Usually though I just give them a few basic answers and they don't have a problem with it.

Some people never find out I'm a Satanist, though, and usually I have very good reasons for that when it happens.

Shadowraven213, I'd guess it might well be a nervous reaction where they don't really know what to say. And some people will tend to crack jokes to break tension, even if it's tension within themselves. You know better than we do the tone of voice used, etc. and exactly what sort of jokes were said.

There's a big difference between someone saying "Heh heh - well, I guess I know what your favorite holiday is!" and "Heh heh - so, kill any cats lately?" If you feel they're being genuinely disrespectful, do what you can to minimize contact with them. Usually people like that are assholes regardless of the situation.

Edit: Actually, upon reflection, it would be better to say "Many people never find out, and those that do wait a fair amount of time to hear it." I don't want to give the impression I'm blabbing it to everyone I know after a certain time frame, because I don't.

Edited by Maqlu (09/20/07 05:55 PM)

#272586 - 09/20/07 06:08 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
I honestly cannot recall one single time in my life where anyone has asked me what my religion is.

If someone should ask - I would simply answer that I am an atheist.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#272587 - 09/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

Well, of course it is the public's perception! What else could it possibly be?

It's Satanism, not Seventh Day Adventism ;\) Satanism isn't regarded with the same acceptance in the mainstream as other religions...by its very definition it is "adversarial". It causes outrage, suspicion, and when it happens, we know why, and we know that going into it.

#272588 - 09/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
shadowraven213 Offline

Yes, that's crystal clear to me, and probably your first mistake.

im sorry but i wont read all threads on this board on the offchance i repeat something here through replying to people, is this a problem?

Just because you choose to discuss your personal business doesn't mean that it's the wisest choice for everyone , and any intelligent person would see how guarding certain information would be beneficial to them in various situations. Splashing around the fact that you are a Satanist to people could be harmful in many ways, especially for individuals who work in certain fields.

what gave you the impression i didnt know this? i never once said it was wrong to conceal it just that i wouldnt, and im not "splashing" the fact im a satanist i just dont like to lie or conceal the fact.

There are many members of the Church of Satan who choose to not advertise their affiliation. I'm quite sure that fear of ridicule is not high on the list of reasons why.

this part was actually of interest to me thank you

#272589 - 09/20/07 06:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: gypsy]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Yes, I have to agree with Gypsy ( see it happens from time to time
) I see no reason to share my religion with anyone. before I realized my Satanic leanings. I still never discussed it with anyone. Its mine. It is something I share only with a very select few. It just isn't necessary to wear it on your sleeve like that.
Now, many people do and That that works for them. They have their reasons and there is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes i wish i was in a position that I could be more open about my Satanic involvement.

#272590 - 09/20/07 06:16 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: gypsy]
Scarey Offline

Loc: Indiana
In my experience, whenever I've told someone I was a satanist it was because I believed them to be open minded enough to take it for what it is. Otherwise I just tell people I follow my own path.

#272595 - 09/20/07 06:34 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Scarey]
shadowraven213 Offline

thanks to Maqlu for an excellent post this was exactly what i was looking for

people who get to know me or try to get to know me sometimes ask what religion i am but not that often, most of the time it just never comes up in conversation but when it does most people are ok with, it the most recent person to ask me what my religion i was that did laugh was actually a police officer over his radio, i had told another policeman my religion after one visited my room in a hostel after a burglary and saw the satanic bible in my bedroom, then about 8 years later quite recently i was broken into again this time in my flat, the police officer that came to the door i actually knew and he had told me that my records have been "flagged" with the term satanist just like they "flag" people with drug issues or violence!

Aswell as this he told me that when the call had first came over the radio the police had laughed at it but that he didnt know why

#272600 - 09/20/07 06:39 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
what gave you the impression i didnt know this?

This statement gave me the impression.

Quote:
as i stated if you had read it i dont have any problems, or negative repercussions from telling people i am a satanist when they ask me, so what makes you think that you would come to harm if you did?

But don't mind me, I'm sure that I am just having difficulty grasping your thought process.

#272601 - 09/20/07 06:39 PM Playing With Fire [Re: shadowraven213]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
We hear this sort of thing from time to time here on the board: "I told a random person that I was a Satanist and they had the nerve to act scandalized!"

Well, yes.

There is power in mystery. That power can be put to good use, or it can be fumbled. There are those who get a lot of practical benefit out of publicly taking the Devil's name. There are many others in situations where wearing sheep's clothing is more prudent.

But let's say that we somehow doused that power; that it became no more scandalous to say you were a Satanist than to say you were a Methodist. Would this really improve matters for J. Random Satanist?

Well, it'd obviously make it impossible to awkwardly fumble the psychological power in the name, since there wouldn't be any power. But it'd also prevent you from ever wielding that power.

You can make matches much safer to play with if you cut off the phosphor tips and throw them away. You definitely won't burn the house down that way, or even singe your finger. But when you want to light a candle...

I like the fact that Satanism is feared, and even mocked sometimes. I like the fact that it requires a deft hand to use the "S word" properly.

So be careful what you wish for... and you might try being a bit more careful whipping the S-word around in public. You're playing with fire, after all. ;\)

-Chess

#272612 - 09/20/07 06:53 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: Chess]
shadowraven213 Offline

chess i dont tell random people i tell people who ask, i dont know how i could have made that any clearer.

I dont wear any symbols or anything indicateing what my religion is unless i want it to be known (which is very very rarely), so i dont "whip it out in public" \:\)

You say you like the fact it is mocked sometimes but you dont say why you think it is, its been my experience that people are afraid of what they dont understand but generally do not laugh at it unless they think they know what theyre laughing at.

#272619 - 09/20/07 07:08 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

People really don't ask me random questions like that.

There are only three people in my life that are fully aware that I'm a Satanist. Those people are my closest friends and I trust them.

Other than that, I try not to get into topics involving religion due to Lesser Magic purposes.

HS!

#272625 - 09/20/07 07:21 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
I don't go telling everyone, but I don't try to keep it a secret either. When people find out, they have known me for a while, and it does not shock them or make them uncomfortable; by that time they know who I am, how I feel about things, and that I'm not going to eat a baby or kick a puppy.

#272627 - 09/20/07 07:23 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Jack_Lantern]
August-Wolfe Offline

C'mon Jack... your baby-eating exploits are the stuff legends are made of! ;\)

#272636 - 09/20/07 08:27 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Luigi Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Europe & South America

Satanism? I just tell them that I'm a devotee of the Lord of Coke and Hot Dogs.

#272638 - 09/20/07 08:54 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: August-Wolfe]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

I ate those babies in self defense, I swear!

#272642 - 09/20/07 09:24 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I honestly have never had anyone laugh at me over my religion, a woman I asked out on a date laughed at me one time though. I have had many other amusing reactions though.
"How many of you are there?"-[I can't tell you]
"Why, what does it do for you?"-this person I think was actually curious.
"Satan?-whhaaaat?"
"ooookkkaaay?!"
"You're wrong!"-[No, I am sure that I am a Satanist]-haha
"I will pray for you."-[well, okay, it won't do you any good, but okay]
I have found that most people that I decide to talk with about my religion are very receptive. However, this is one of those instances where they are already familiar with me, (that I am a hard worker, positive attitude, excellent sense of humor, and well adjusted all around). At that point they can be confused but see that there is something to it that they don't understand, so will often ask about it. Some people are downright offended-not so much because of the religion but because I am so much more well adjusted than they are. How dare I be a Satanist and be well adjusted and damage all of their preconceived notions-sheeesh!

#272643 - 09/20/07 09:27 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I do not think anyone has ever asked me what my religion is.
I think that those who know me think I have no religion.
All that is important to them is that I am not a Christian.
Limited thinking.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#272663 - 09/20/07 11:14 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I have had people try to bait me into religious discussion before. Most recently a co-worker asked me if I went to church. I replied that I am not religious and prefer not to discuss the subject. He told me that it is never too late to accept jesus christ. I was angered to say the least.

I wouldn't feel comfortable informing others about Satanism unless the person seemed to be the type to benefit from the religion. Even then I likely wouldn't discuss it, unless it seemed fully appropriate. I think that ultimately if one fits the description and is in search of religion then they would eventually find Satanism their own way.

#272664 - 09/20/07 11:16 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

Of course since you're following the Satanic path you are expected to be law-abiding anyway, but it's always good to know that flag is there just in case you are ever falsely accused of anything.

As for the cops at the station laughing, who knows? I have a little story of my own concerning a burglary call that wasn't taken seriously, though it had nothing to do with religion. In 1998 we had a home invasion robbery and when I called 911 the moron who answered suggested I go talk to the crazed looking crackhead leaning on my doorbell and ask him nicely what I wanted. (Yeah right - like I'm going to open that door to someone looking like a deranged madman in a country where I don't have a gun.) She reluctantly promised to send cops, but of course after she hung up they broke in to the house. (I barricaded myself in my room and wasn't hurt, but they got away with money and some heirloom jewelry if anyone was wondering.) Anyway, once they leave I call 911 again and get the same bitch who is stunned to hear that they actually broke in. Who dares to be snippy about me yelling at her. When the cops came, they said there had only been the one dispatch, so she never sent them the first time when she said she did (the police station was four blocks away). The police themselves were great, just the dispatcher was a moron.

Maybe the other officers who laughed your call off were of the same shitheaded ilk as the dispatcher I had to deal with. Could be any number of explanations - self-righteous types who saw the flag and figured you got what you deserved, too busy to want to bother with a mere burglary, whatever. The implications are certainly concerning - what if it was more serious than a burglary and you needed help?

#272672 - 09/20/07 11:44 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I'm sure pretty much everyone here who read my introduction laughed when I said I am a Satanist.

Aside from that no one else needs to know.

#272673 - 09/21/07 12:08 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: TrojZyr]
Rafiq Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Idaho
I sometimes struggle with this. Generally I keep it all to myself. I have no trouble telling people I am an atheist, but I leave it at that. I have only told two people that I am a Satanist. One of them didn't really need to know and I regret allowing them to have that knowledge about me.

I think it is obvious that tossing around the S-word is generally a bad idea. The problem I have is that I am proud to be a Satanist. I wish I could be open about that part of myself without fear of reprisal. Sometimes I even want to use the S-word as a weapon and reveal my true nature in all its shocking glory. And while the effect may be profound, the result will be little to none in the end. Even more so, they will have a juicy tidbit of info about me that I'd rather not be public. So any sort of display like that is far more likely to work against me. It's just that it irks the shit out of me when I think about the destructive influence that faith-based religions have on my life, my country and the world in general. Sometimes I so badly have the urge to FIGHT THEM!

I recognize that as a personal flaw I should keep in check. Something that I noticed about prominent Satanists, when involved in an interview, is that they are just unflappable. No matter how aggressive or ridiculous the interviewer gets, the Satanist remains poised, confident and witty.

#272711 - 09/21/07 06:34 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I rarely get asked “What’s your religion”. I have found that most Christians simply assume everyone else is a Christian too, thought they may belong to a different denomination. I never get asked “what religion I am” but “what Church I go to”.

Usually I say something like “uh… none” and change the subject. This works in most of the cases.

On rare occasions some people interpret this as an opportunity to invite me to their own Church, which invariantly comes with accompanied with the statement that “You need to go to a Church” or “Everybody needs a Church”. At that moment I say “Oh. I already have a Church… I don’t go to it because it’s not in a building”.

This usually confuses them for a second, after which I already walked away…

#272716 - 09/21/07 07:55 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
My religious status is on a 'need to know' basis.

I know, and that's all anyone needs to know.

It only takes once, of telling a trusted friend your religion to make up in your mind that you will most likely NEVER attempt such a thing again.

I have better things to do with My time than to try to convince some mental midget that I don't harm animals or children. Nooooo thank you. I try not to talk religion or politics with people I am close with.

Now, if a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness were to ring My doorbell.... that's a different story. I'd probably answer the door wearing My Ritual robe whilst holding a black candle in one hand and a holding a plate of cookies in the other.

Those people are fun!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#272719 - 09/21/07 08:19 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Evil_Eve]
shadowraven213 Offline

I notice that quite a few of you who choose to hide your religion for various reasons are americans.

Perhaps its a locality thing then as im from europe.

Bruja if you care to notice the question mark at the end of that quote you can quite clearly see it was intended as a question, sorry if this confused you.

#272720 - 09/21/07 08:20 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Lust Offline

The last time someone laughed at me, it was a squirrel named Susan. I ate her liver with a nice chiante, and some fava beans.

Mu Ha Ha Ha !
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#272721 - 09/21/07 08:27 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
I notice that quite a few of you who choose to hide your religion for various reasons are americans.

No, I tend to think that We are realist (American or non- American) and that We have no time for shit disturbing or shit disturbers.

Why bring on any drama from others when need not be?

If you want to wave your Satanic flag high, this is fine, this is great, but do not complain when others aren't understanding of your religion. Nobody has to be.

If you are going to call attention upon yourself, take whatever goes along with that attention you receive.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#272725 - 09/21/07 08:39 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I am Canadian and no one knows of my affiliation.

Look, it all boils down to the fact that people have a mental block to the word Satan.

In the minds of many people who know me, I am the most unlikely person to be associated with Satanism. My professional and personal integrity is recognized and respected, my dress and mannerisms are not offensive (although many remark on my "flare"), and I don't fit any of the usual stereotypes out there.

Despite the fact that I am thought highly of, I know that employers and most acquaintances would be shocked were they to find out my affiliation.

They just wouldn't get it. Their view of me would grate harshly against their view of anything associated with Satan. Most are not fundamentalist Christians or even religious.

But to them, it's just weird.

At this point in my life, to reveal my membership would be stupid. And I don't want to be that kind of sinner.

#272729 - 09/21/07 08:45 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I usually tell people who I don't know well that I'm an Atheist.

It's a lot less of a headache. \:\)

#272731 - 09/21/07 08:45 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Zaftig]
shadowraven213 Offline

I never complained i was merely curious and my curiosity has been sated by all those who posted with their experiences, so i think ill just leave this thread be lest it degenerate into a discussion i didnt intend to start.

#272733 - 09/21/07 09:00 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Rafiq]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
I wish I could be open about that part of myself without fear of reprisal.

I use your reply to make a point. I don't know you, and this is not a personal issue. This is a reply to a common thought that I wish to respond to.

If the people you tell knew anything about Satanism they would learn nothing new about you. Satanists exude Satanic qualities every day of their lives and need no label to prove it. So telling others the name of your religion reveals nothing "new" about you, just gives them a label to use for you.

Other religions shout their ideology from the roof-tops because their followers try to reach goals set forth by others to prove themselves to a deity (or priest, or tree, or aliens, whatever). They call their religion a "big part of their lives" because it defines much of what they strive to achieve. Satanists set our own goals, for our own reasons. We do not need to wave a flag to express our ambition because our ambition is expressed in our action.

#272738 - 09/21/07 09:10 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Drimlybunk]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
If the people you tell knew anything about Satanism they would learn nothing new about you. Satanists exude Satanic qualities every day of their lives and need no label to prove it. So telling others the name of your religion reveals nothing "new" about you, just gives them a label to use for you.

Now this is a good point, Drimlybunk.

Most individuals that I deal with on a daily basis do not know of my affiliation, and I find it interesting that the qualities that many of my associates find the most admirable are purely Satanic. They appreciate me and respect me for them. That's good enough for me.

#272757 - 09/21/07 11:04 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Rafiq]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I can fully understand the desire to be open and honest with people. I can understand the desire to be seen, to be understood, and to be treated well.

Because Satanic activities and insights do comprise a notable slice of my life, it is a bummer to not get to talk about them to certain friends, and it's a definite relief to be able to do so with others. Not having to dodge around Satanism allows me to get to the honest heart of certain matters, events, and opinions, and that can be a relief.

But, unfortunately, not everyone is mature, loyal, or insightful enough to be able to handle that kind of information properly. Even people you think are fine may harbor quiet resentment or fear that builds up slowly over time, or they may explode during a fight and just say everything nasty thing they can think of. Some people may become too enamored of your dark leanings, and turn into little intellectual black holes, or they may use you as a prop to tell funny or interesting stories, or to boost their own street-cred or popularity. Some particularly short-sighted people may lose the ability to see you as anything but THE TOKEN SATANIST, and will treat you accordingly.

I don't regret coming out to my parents and being honest with them, but even so, since they've fully come to terms with my Satanism and have become comfortable with it, this has brought a mixed bag of benefits and drawbacks. One drawback seems to be that they are blase about telling certain friends and friendly acquaintances about my Satanic friendships and activities, without necessarily divulging my affiliation directly. Now, they tend to read people pretty well, so they aren't going to tell anyone who is likely to flip out, but it's still a bit disconcerting because it potentially means that I'll have to deal with slack-jawed numbnuts and over-eager beavers who'll pester me with wide-eyed questions about my Satanist friends. It also means that I'm no longer fully in charge of the flow of information, and who's in and who's out of the loop.

Secrets can be powerful in so many ways. Choose to focus on the benefits and perks of keeping a secret, instead of just thinking of the negatives, the should-bes, or the could-bes. And, try to surround yourself with an inner circle of real friends with whom you can, hopefully, be honest.

But, Drimly is right that Satanism is who we are, so by being ourselves, we effectively share our Satanism, albeit without a label. Treasure having at least that level and type of connection with people.

And, always remember that only you can validate yourself and your practice, and that it can't come from other people.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#272766 - 09/21/07 11:30 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe

I don't think it's an American thing to hide the fact that one is a Satanist...It's in most cases the SMARTEST thing to do so.
I'm from Europe as well, and I prefer not wasting my time on curious idiots who like to find out what I believe in. Most of the time my answer is "I do believe in ME...which is a pretty clear answer in my opinion.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#272770 - 09/21/07 11:48 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Grima Offline

Loc: Netherlands
None on the i-net have ever laughed at me, not for long anyway. Sometimes they think I joke because I can be very sarcastic, but after a while they'll notice I'm serious and get interested.
The i-net is anonymous enough to keep conversations like these "safe".

In real life it never happened, and never will, because I simply don't tell them unless I'm certain they're intelligent enough to understand.
It's also a matter of who needs to know. I used to be pretty open about it, but as I get older I keep it more and more to myself.

#272801 - 09/21/07 01:29 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Old_Pig]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

You are one of the most uniquely clever men I have had the opportunity to become acquainted with.

#272856 - 09/21/07 06:36 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: shadowraven213]
August-Wolfe Offline

One sure truth: People laugh when they become nervous. It's a rickety attempt to mask their, how shall we say it..."dis-ease" ;\)

Edited by AugustWolfe (09/21/07 09:53 PM)

#272867 - 09/21/07 07:44 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Raf_G Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Central America

After a couple of times I answered "Satanism", I rather not tell my religious tendencies.

Now if someone asks me about it, I just tell them "I am not a spiritual person".

That is usually enough.

Hail Satan!!!

#272869 - 09/21/07 07:47 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: Chess]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

You are right, Chess. There is obviously something about us that needs to have that aspect that is not common, domesticated or comforting to the herd.

Another thing we hear around here a lot is, “I do not want to lie. I want to be honest”. Why? If you have decided that others knowing that you are a Satanist will be deleterious to your well-being, finances or even your life, why do you think those louts deserve the truth? I live in hick-town. Education is not a high priority. We have already been one of the lucky recipients of love letters from the friendly neighborhood sheet wearers. I owe them nothing…especially the truth.

They are sheep, weak and beneath your undo concern. A Satanist is aware that they are an animal, dangerous and on the prowl. One of the tools of any animal, seen as a predator by the sheep, is stealth. Lying is a form of stealth. Survival is the highest law.

Welcome to the jungle, Baby!

See…now I done gone and channeled the spirit of Axl Rose.

#272890 - 09/21/07 09:27 PM Re: Playing With Fire [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
August-Wolfe Offline

Originally Posted By: roho_the_rooster

Welcome to the jungle, Baby!

See…now I done gone and channeled the spirit of Axl Rose.

Well, at least Brett Michaels didn't show up by mistake! ;\)

And one good turn deserves another:

"You learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play..."

#272921 - 09/22/07 01:13 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Drimlybunk]
Rafiq Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Idaho
 Originally Posted By: Drimlybunk
Satanists exude Satanic qualities every day of their lives and need no label to prove it.

That is a very comforting thought. No need to make a big show when just living my life as a Satanist speaks louder than the S-word itself. I guess the biggest motivation I have for announcing my infernal persuasion is just to jab back at the Christian society that takes so many jabs at me. I struggle with this feeling quite often and I think you have given me some closure. Thank you, Drimly.

#272999 - 09/22/07 11:25 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Rafiq]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: California
We are not a support group.

#273001 - 09/22/07 11:31 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Drimlybunk]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
I really cringe when I read things like this. A Satanist is not born to smite x-tians. I won't speak for all Satanist, but I was born to glorify myself not jab the worshipers of the dead redeemer. they are who they are. Sure, I will play with the occasional door knocking jehovah's witness, but I am not going to waste my time berating others for not seeing what I have been born to understand.
Use your time to better yourself and be more than they say you can be. Don't engage these people in their battles of witless contretemps.

#273006 - 09/22/07 11:50 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:

I have never had such a question come up as a topic for discussion among anyone who is a Christian or otherwise. There are plenty of things worth discussing and religion to me is not one of them. Especially with those who have NO concept as to what Satanism is. There are far too many morons out there who will willingly misunderstand anything on the subject just for the sake of debate.

On the rare occasions I have been invited to a church or asked what my religion is I simply tell them no thank you or that it is none of their business.

#273011 - 09/22/07 12:07 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Unknown]
DarkSentry Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Florida
I've learned enough from past experiences that it's better to just keep my mouth shut about it, as it's generally impossible to have an intelligent debate with those blinded by faith, and to save my energy for my self-development without engaging in needless drama.

As I've grown older, I've definitely grown past the "flaunting" aspect and prefer to remain as the invisible wolf among the sheep.

#273907 - 09/26/07 02:31 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: G.F.V.]
AztecRed Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I have the type of stature and outward personality that affords me the privilege of never being laughed at to my face. With that said, I only advertise my Satanism when it benefits me to do so.

#273975 - 09/26/07 10:02 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Thanks!

#274088 - 09/27/07 03:15 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Old_Pig]
Luxxe. Offline

Loc: Atlanta , Georgia
I have people ask me my religion all the time. Most of the time, unless I know them well.. I ignore the subject completely. I have found that it leads to me having to explain myself, which I can't be bothered to do most of the time.

The fact that most of the people that question your religion are of less intelligence only adds on the annoyance chart.

When I feel that someone is worth my time, and they have proven themselves to be worthy of friendship then I am open and honest and blunt.....

For the most part, people just aren't worth the time.

I would rather spend each moment at least TRYING to do something that I enjoy and defending my religion to people who aren't ever going to understand ANYWAYS, is just pointless.

#274693 - 10/01/07 02:12 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: DarkSentry]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: DarkSentry

As I've grown older, I've definitely grown past the "flaunting" aspect and prefer to remain as the invisible wolf among the sheep.

Exactly. ;\)

#274880 - 10/02/07 08:45 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Luigi]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Quote:
Satanism? I just tell them that I'm a devotee of the Lord of Coke and Hot Dogs.

Hooray for the LoCaHD!

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#274882 - 10/02/07 08:57 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
i was trying to see if other satanists have had this experience, so i can try to understand if peoples perceptions of satanism is to blame for it.

No, I can't say that I've had somebody outright "laugh" at it. I'm sure there have been a few people who gave a slight laugh out of disbelief, which is what many to relieve tension. But no, I can't think of a time when somebody literally laughed at me along the lines of "Oh, you're like one of those losers who claims to have magical powers".

I guess one of the reasons for this is that I don't radiate the pretentiousness that would go along with this. Dr. LaVey talked about the strange feeling of seeing Satanists show up to greet him at the airport in ritual robes, and how they'd wear them to Denny's right afterwards. I'd like to think that I don't show the same unintentional silliness. And being somebody over 30, I can't say I receive the "goth/emo" subculture accusations.

Also, like many here, it's extremely rare that anybody asks about my religion anyway. I also realized a long time ago that the title "Satanist" holds certain social limits, so I pretty much only reveal my religion to people who I know are close and mature enough to trust. At best I'll tell them I'm an atheist (which strictly speaking is true). I sure don't hang a baphomet banner in my office.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#274889 - 10/02/07 09:53 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
That question doesn't usually come up, but when it does I simply ask them anout their beliefs. It distracts them from their curiosity about me because people love to talk about themselves. Then I change the subject using this technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLTdArPtlU

Edited by Astratus (10/02/07 09:56 AM)

#275595 - 10/06/07 11:02 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

I do the same. But mostly I am not asked at all. I do not do anything to truly cause me any undue attention, other than the usual amount I get from being "not of the herd."

Its a funny irony when I realize that someone is in awe of my subtle differences from others...and wants to be a part of my world. They have NO clue.

By the way, I hope to have my membership in by the end of November, possibly in December. What a wonderful 'holiday' gift that would be to myself!

#275674 - 10/06/07 10:28 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
HELL -o, and forgive me for interrupting.

I am not yet a Satanist, in the sense that I haven't read the S. Bible yet. What you are discussing here are human issues, and I am a human, so I think I can comment here. "Shadowraven", remeber your own words...you come from a very secular country. I might add, knowing a few Danes as I do, that it is a country with a more sophisticated population who don't give a crap if someone is Satanist, or botonist, or whatever. I'm also speaking as a person from an equally sophisticated country (Canada), but who has lived in the U.S.A. for 12 years. Remember that attitudes are different in America. I mean no offense to Americans - and I can't stress that enough - but the reality is that America is 100 years behind everyone else on attitudes towards simple things like this. I am a TEACHER over here, so I can vouch for Bruja's concerns: I would have no hesitation in admitting my Satanistic tendencies in Canada, as a teacher. (In fact, it would probably score me a job there.) In America, on the other hand, I don't dare. It's a very Christian-obsessed country. Although 1/2 of the population are actually quite progressive, the opposite half might try to ruin you if they ever found out. I hope I make sense. If not, oh well, I tried.

Hail Satan.

#275675 - 10/06/07 10:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Mr. Mischief Offline

My above comment was displaced a bit, I should have responded directly to Shadowraven's earlier post.

#275791 - 10/07/07 09:02 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: DarkSentry]
Moon Shadow Offline

Loc: ohio
Hi all,

I'm a Wiccan who is interested in Satanism. I wear a pentagram necklace and usually wear it under my blouse. When it has sliped out, I have shocked people badly, as they think I am a Satanist! I have known Wiccans who have been put in dangerous situations because of wearing their pentagrams.

I can only imagine what would happen to a Satanist!

Teresa Salyer (Moon Shadow)

#275797 - 10/07/07 09:16 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Moon Shadow]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

I have a reaction to your 'religion':

Either you were raised where the film 'Deliverance' was made (you know where people will hang you for a witch for having a book of matches on you) or you hang out with some pretty daft people in general.

I have had different reactions upon others seeing My Baphomet (usually GOOD THINGS) but nothing as you mentioned. You are being melodramatic is My guess.

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#275803 - 10/07/07 10:19 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Moon Shadow]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Teresa Salyer, you've been asked twice to post your own introduction in the proper forum.

Take care of that, or we'll be saying goodbye to Moon Shadow sooner rather than later.

#275871 - 10/07/07 03:56 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Rodim Offline

happened to me. though i cover the subject by going along with the group. i don't like to get into fights about my religion. because people are, in reality, scared of satanism. they don't understand it. so i keep it that way. the last thing i want is to start a conversation with an ignorant fool.

Hail Satan!

-Friedrich Nietzsche

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.

-Horace Walpole

#275984 - 10/08/07 10:39 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Evil_Eve]
Moon Shadow Offline

Loc: ohio
Dear Evil Eve,

That is the best thing I've ever heard in dealing with them! Hope you have that black candle handy!

Teresa

#276161 - 10/09/07 08:35 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
I am a TEACHER over here, so I can vouch for Bruja's concerns: I would have no hesitation in admitting my Satanistic tendencies in Canada, as a teacher. (In fact, it would probably score me a job there.)

You can't be serious. I sure wouldn't try it.

#276171 - 10/09/07 09:24 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: HellofallHells]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:

I was wondering if there was something about the beautiful country of Canada that I just didn't know. ;\)

I realize that there are differences, but that comment seemed a bit extreme to me, especially in regards to teaching.

#276203 - 10/09/07 12:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Alberta, Canada

ive had a few people do this over the years, most people are just stunned for a second but then start to inquire as to the nature of the religion as they dont understand it

i write this here because although it doesnt bother me and i believe that is more of a nervous reaction than a mocking one but theres a part of me that thinks peoples opinion of the religion is something that should be mocked for some reason as if i had replyed "i honestly believe that the earth is flat and worship my squirrel susan"

Those who know don't talk, those who talk don't know.

Keep it to yourself. Your life may depend on it.

#276204 - 10/09/07 12:36 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I was wondering if there was something about the beautiful country of Canada that I just didn't know. ;\)

I realize that there are differences, but that comment seemed a bit extreme to me, especially in regards to teaching.

The social climate in Canada is virtually the same as in the USA. I don't know why people think that Canada is some sort of liberal utopian paradise, nevermind that the Panic started in Vancouver BC. Needless to say I stand my my previous post. I keep my shit on the DL. I value my life.

#276255 - 10/09/07 05:58 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

I live in Vancouver, which is possibly the most liberal place in Canada (so far as I've come across, though Toronto and Montreal are probably very close if not the same).

I'm not a teacher, but if I were I don't think I would mention it at all, let alone think it would score me a job.

Maybe for teaching something like art or design to adults you would run into a situation where no one cared, but remember that it doesn't matter if "1/2 of the population are actually quite progressive" - it takes just one jackass who isn't but who has leverage to ruin your day.

#276256 - 10/09/07 06:03 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Nidhogg]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

I guess it depends on the circles you travel in. My experience of Vancouver is pretty liberal, but those are the people I surround myself with.

Nonetheless, while I don't feel my life depends on keeping my mouth shut, I certainly wouldn't advertise my affiliations on my resume.

#276272 - 10/09/07 07:12 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Nidhogg]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
The social climate in Canada is virtually the same as in the USA. I don't know why people think that Canada is some sort of liberal utopian paradise, nevermind that the Panic started in Vancouver BC.

The accuracy of this statement would depend largely on what region of the United States you are using in your comparison.

#276289 - 10/09/07 08:59 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Coyote Offline

Loc: Nevada
 Quote:
The social climate in Canada is virtually the same as in the USA. I don't know why people think that Canada is some sort of liberal utopian paradise, nevermind that the Panic started in Vancouver BC.

The accuracy of this statement would depend largely on what region of the United States you are using in your comparison.

True. What other state besides Nevada can you get drunk 24/7, gamble 24/7 and go to a legal whore house?

I don't think anyone here has justification to frown on Satanism. If someone criticized Satanism here, I would say "That means alot to me coming from a drunk hooker gambling away your life savings."

I haven't traveled much East of Utah but I hear how alcohol sales are cut off at certain times or completely dry on certain days, and Gambling(*) and prostitution are Illegal. I am grateful to live in a state that has a little more freedom than other states.

(*)As far as I know gambling is legal in New Jersey Still but I don't know about prostitution and 24/7 alcohol)

#276418 - 10/10/07 02:18 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Bruja]
Nidhogg Offline
CoS Member

True and all the same it DOES matter where in what given country you live in, but it also depend on what company you keep and circles you travel in as well. I have nothing to fear from my comrades and associates however if it got out and became generally known then I would likely have problems. I live in Alberta which is by far the most conservative and christian of all the provinces but I have not really encountered any rabid evengelistic types. Nevertheless I know they're out there and I know many of them would shoot a Satanist in the face if they ever encountered one. What is legal is one thing, what is socially acceptable is often quite another.

#276454 - 10/10/07 07:10 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Nidhogg]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Well, at least I can say that I've triggered a useful conversation. Satanists live in many different parts of the world. I think a dialog on the different levels of acceptance in different locations, is apropo.

I may have been a little off the wall in saying it would probably help me GET a job in Canada, that was obviously leaning towards sarcasm for theatrical effect. But I was not off the wall about how progressive the place is, especially its education community. Vancouver and Toronto may be competing for label of "most liberal", (...or at least, a one-way competition which only some people in Vancouver even recognize or care about) (and each can have the title, as far as I'm concerned) but each location is vastly different from the next, as Klockwerk Black noted.

I honestly would NOT be affraid to tell someone in the public teaching community in Toronto about being affiliated with the C.O.S. On the other hand, they would probably tell me to keep it to myself for my own protection - i.e. your fellow teachers are one thing, parents are ANOTHER. The vast majority of parents would not care, but there could be that one idiot, as someone mentioned above. I definitely wouldn't pull out a pentagram in one of Ontario's private Catholic schools, either.

But then, I wouldn't be interested in teaching in one, as I'm sure most Satanists would agree.

I have to STRONGLY disagree with whoever wrote "the social climate in Canada is the same as in the U.S.A." I have known thousands of Americans and Canadians, having lived almost equal halves of my 37 years in each country. I've lived in different parts of each country and travelled both countries thoroughly. I've seen that the two populations, evaluated as wholes, are VERY different.

That is not to say that one doesn't find parallels for any region or attitude you care to name. I think it is the presence of parallels that make people mistakenly think that the social climate is the same. Boston - where I live now - has people whose values are overwhelmingly like those in my city of birth, for instance. But, the proliferation of values and attitudes in each nation does not in any way match, when evaluated as whole nations. There is no way in hell that 51% of the Canadian population would have voted for George Bush, with his stated platform. Nor would any of the anti-gay bills that 11 states passed that year, stand a chance anywhere in Canada. The N.D.P. would probably be beaten to within an inch of their lives in the vast number of areas in the U.S.A. I could bore you with much more, but no - the social climate in the two are not the same.

#276499 - 10/10/07 10:48 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Ortrud Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
I never tell anyone. The only person who knows (outside of the anonymity of this forum) is my partner. There have been some times when I've been tempted to spill the beans to colleagues, especially after a few cocktails, but I hold myself back. Surprisingly,there are alot of extreme Christians in the opera business. Everyone tries to be fair with them and be tolerant of their religious shit, but they don't do the same for others. Ah, my bitterness is showing.

Hail Satan!
Ortrud

#276531 - 10/11/07 03:03 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't pull out a pentagram in one of Ontario's private Catholic schools, either.

But then, I wouldn't be interested in teaching in one, as I'm sure most Satanists would agree.

I think all of those schools require prospective employees to sign a sworn statement of faith anyway.

Catholic hospitals tend to have more of a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude - unless you're applying for a "Vision and Mission" department job or to be the President of the organization or chairman of the board, in which case you can't even be Protestant, but I've heard that a lot of faith-based schools not only hire only the religion they teach (which makes sense - if you're paying a few grand a year for your kids to go to a private Jewish school you don't want a fundamentalist Muslim or the Grand Dragon of the KKK teaching them math any more than Catholics want Satanists teaching their kids) but they may even have to swear to live by certain religious laws upon pain of being fired.

The teachers' college at Trinity Western University still has their students swear to abstain from premarital or homosexual sex and a few other rules to live by as well.

As you say, of course, the odds of a Satanist wanting to work in those environments is very very slim.

Re: Vancouver and liberalism. I'm not sure it's a competition per se, I was just commenting that mostly no one cares what you do here (unless you light up a cigarette too close to one of those health nuts, of course...) as opposed to some other places in Canada which are nosier and more conservative.

There is such a thing as being too liberal, of course, and in a few weeks the annual kerfuffle about trying to include everyone and not offend anyone during the holidays will start up again. Never seems to be a problem in Winnipeg, from what I've seen. ;\)

#276624 - 10/11/07 02:03 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Maqlu]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: Maqlu
1) I think all of those schools require prospective employees to sign a sworn statement of faith anyway.

2) The teachers' college at Trinity Western University still has their students swear to abstain from premarital or homosexual sex and a few other rules to live by as well.

3) There is such a thing as being too liberal

1) All I can say to that is, as an aethesit, I looked into teaching at Catholic schools in California, when I was living there. I can't speak about Ontario, but in California the Catholic schools do hire non-Catholic teachers. You just teach the subjects from a secular point of view. The school I did teach at was Christian, but I didn't have to teach anything to do with religion. I taught the topic of ancient Greece and homosexuality there, though!

2) Is that a Canadian school? If so, that's illegal discrimination by the Charter of Rights, so that's amazing (not passing a value judgment here, just that it's surprising).

3) Yep. Just ask Bob Rae!

I had a thought here. Are there any schools openly dedicated to the Church of Satan? I'm guessing there aren't, and if not, is it time for one?

#276627 - 10/11/07 02:17 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
 Quote:
Are there any schools openly dedicated to the Church of Satan? I'm guessing there aren't, and if not, is it time for one?

In the same sense of learning that a school can provide, there is The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Rituals, The Satanic Witch, The Devil's Notebook, Satan Speaks, The Secret Life of a Satanist, The Church of Satan, and The Satanic Scriptures.

That is the curriculum and life is the classroom.

You can't produce Satanists on an assembly line, and why would you want too?

Hehe.

Edited by Poetaster (10/11/07 02:23 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#276633 - 10/11/07 02:58 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
 Quote:
Are there any schools openly dedicated to the Church of Satan?

No need for it. And if there was, it would probably be burned down to the ground in a week.

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#276637 - 10/11/07 03:17 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: spook show]
Evil Jack Offline

Loc: Florida
I agree, the world as a whole fully rejects the concept of Satanism, and individuality for that matter. The second you try and be diffrent, society shuns you like yesterdays garbage,but then again,who needs a society full of stale mediocracy anyways?

Edited by Evil Jack (10/11/07 03:18 PM)

#276641 - 10/11/07 03:54 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

1) Guess it depends on the school. I've seen ads for teachers from some of the Christian schools come up on an art careers site I use, and those ads usually mention a statement of faith. When I was a kid, I did four years in Catholic school (elementary, mind you) and the teachers all led daily prayer sessions and we had daily blocks of religion just like math and writing. I can see how at a high school where each subject has its own teacher they might cram all the religious study into one class and the other teachers can ignore it, though.

Fortunately I was in public school long before then, though, so I have no direct experience.

2) Trinity Western University is an evangelical college located out in the suburbs of Vancouver. (Abbotsford, I think). I think there have been legal challenges, but it is a private university, and let's face it, no one who isn't an evangelical Christian goes there. Most evangelical Christian kids don't go there, even. Not exactly a hotbed of cutting edge research, if you get my drift. Not the most widely respected degree-granting institution either when it comes to the job market, either.

Usually the issues come up because I think the teachers' college sends its students to the University of British Columbia in their last year, and UBC is a secular institution. Every so often you hear something about it in regards to people wondering if their grads are really qualified to teach in the public system where they will have to be fair to students who are gay or non-Christian, etc. (In other words, when it's a slow news week, comments appear in the paper.)

I think they're allowed away with it because of being a private institution, kind of like how Fit City for Women has the right to refuse memberships to men. Something like that.

As for your last question, well, I understand a lot of Satanic parents homeschool. Interesting though the idea would be, if I had kids, I don't think I'd want them going to the school everyone knows is full of Satanists - too easy of a target.

#276681 - 10/11/07 08:59 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Poetaster]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: Poetaster
Hehe.

I didn't say a school for teaching the religion of Satanism. I meant a school which Satanists send their children to, where the usual curriculum is taught, but where the teachers and parents are Church of Satan.

#276682 - 10/11/07 09:03 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Maqlu]
Mr. Mischief Offline

[quote=Maqlu]1) I can see how at a high school where each subject has its own teacher they might cram all the religious study into one class and the other teachers can ignore it
quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head here - I was only applying to high-school jobs.

#276683 - 10/11/07 09:07 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Are you so sure that all Satanists have their children in their best interest? Also, here is a link to a thread where comments are made that answer to the "Satanic school" idea.

LINK

#276684 - 10/11/07 09:10 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Maqlu]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: Maqlu
if I had kids, I don't think I'd want them going to the school everyone knows is full of Satanists - too easy of a target.

On the other hand, these kids will be protected within the school. I think they'd be easier targets if they were alone in a sea of brainwashed Christians, and the lone child of a Satanic family got discovered. All HELL would break loose, so to speak.

I really am not that pessimistic about the possibility of a C.O.S. school, it just depends where it is located. On the other hand, there's the issue of NEED that several people have mentioned here.

On that note, there may not be any need from the perspective of teaching Satanism, but what about the reciprocal of that...the need to AVOID being taught Christianity? Is that not a need?

#276687 - 10/11/07 09:18 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
There comes a time...

...when questions should yield to research.

That's how I see it.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#276688 - 10/11/07 09:22 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: HoundDog
Are you so sure that all Satanists have their children in their best interest? Also, here is a link to a thread where comments are made that answer to the "Satanic school" idea.

Your link answers a question about teaching the precepts of Satanism, but that's not teh question I originally asked. My question was about forming a school attended by Satanists. A few people in this thread seem to be confused about my question, so I'll clarify here: It does not follow that the religion is taught in such a school. The pragmatic purposes of forming such a school would be 1) Avoiding a Christian curriculum, since that is the only choice in all of the other schools; and 2) Avoiding ostricism and persecution, like young Asa Coon. (Not commenting on Asa's morality here, just what happened to him because of his Gothic costume...he stood out, he was beaten up.)

#276691 - 10/11/07 09:30 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Mr. Mischief Offline

For Poetaster's benefit, I have reprinted a post I made just before he referred to me as a monkey. Since he is a research- oriented gentleman, he might read it this time. He will then notice that I have never recommended the teaching of Satanism in school.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Mischief
 Originally Posted By: Poetaster
Hehe.

I didn't say a school for teaching the religion of Satanism. I meant a school which Satanists send their children to, where the usual curriculum is taught, but where the teachers and parents are Church of Satan.

#276694 - 10/11/07 09:57 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Look, it's cool that you're excited about Satanism. But you still have a lot to learn about it. The kinds of big projects and reforms you're suggesting aren't really what the Church of Satan is working on right now.

Your proposals would have more credibility if you spent some time getting to know the source materials and learning to apply them in the concrete, to your everyday life. Slow down. Act locally. Show us you know how to make your own personal life more to your own liking before you start talking about changing the face of society at large. Show your good faith by joining the CoS, if you like.

Then, if the Church of Satan likes what you're doing, they'll call you.

Until that time, you're an anonymous stranger, in no position to prove you know what you're talking about. Understand?

Take this for whatever you think it's worth.

Edited by reprobate (10/11/07 10:04 PM)

#276712 - 10/12/07 12:10 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

>>On the other hand, these kids will be protected within the school. I think they'd be easier targets if they were alone in a sea of brainwashed Christians, and the lone child of a Satanic family got discovered. All HELL would break loose, so to speak.

It is not hard to keep a secret. Have you ever really tried? You would be amazed at how easy it is.

>>On that note, there may not be any need from the perspective of teaching Satanism, but what about the reciprocal of that...the need to AVOID being taught Christianity? Is that not a need?

An intelligent and life loving person can easily distinguish that Christianity is not for them even if they are raised in it. There are plenty of CoS members who prove that.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#276714 - 10/12/07 12:20 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: reprobate]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: reprobate
...Take this for whatever you think it's worth.

I will.

#276719 - 10/12/07 12:30 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Discipline]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Originally Posted By: Discipline

1) It is not hard to keep a secret. Have you ever really tried?

2) An intelligent and life loving person can easily distinguish that Christianity is not for them even if they are raised in it. There are plenty of CoS members who prove that.

1) I'm afraid I can't share that information with you.

2) So, it's not about protecting children from any kind of indoctrination, because when they reach adulthood they will make a natural decision about religion anyways. I seem to have been a bit naive, in other words. To protect children from another idea would implicitly be indoctrinating them to Satanism, and that isn't exactly C.O.S.-like.

If I still don't understand, well, I'm sure my Bible will arrive some day so I can read it.

#276722 - 10/12/07 12:38 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

1) You learn well, young Jedi.

2) If you can take your child to the side and talk to them with clarity and give it to them straight then you have given them the tools to avoid indoctrination.

Do you think that indoctrinating a child in Satanism is truly the best means of parenting?. Teach your children responsibility, respect, discipline, and to enjoy life without drowning them in your own agendas. If they like what they hear from you and are curious they will ask you.

I have a friend who was raised by two outstanding Satanists and attended a Christian university. I admire him more than I do a lot of others, and not just because he is a Satanist but because of who he is as an individual.

#276723 - 10/12/07 12:41 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
From the CoS website -

"Mandatory Education: Teaching Pigs To Sing"

By High Priestess Blanche Barton

http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/MandatoryEducation.htm

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#276725 - 10/12/07 01:15 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Discipline]
de_Lioncourt Offline
CoS Member

Mr. Mischief,

As a parent, I have no plans of indoctrinating my child into Satanism. My wife of 9 years is agnostic. That is fine by me. We are strongly considering homeschooling our son. Some of the main reasons for this being: 1). Neither of us really liked our own school experience. We felt that we had to "put up" with other kids who were, we felt inferior to us. I also had more than one teacher tell me that they viewed themselves as "paid baby sitters"- very sad. Why would we want to put our own child through that? 2) In our day we didn't have the worry of kids bringing guns to school etc. Its a mean world.

What I personally found out in school when it came to fights was that the attitude, "just because somebody else started it...it's no excuse" was prevalent. To me this made no sense. My Grandmother always told me that if I didn't defend myself that when I came home I would be punished more harshly by her than the school would punish me if I finished it. I always found that I got in more trouble for defending myself by the school than the person who started it did. This made no sense to me at eight. Again, why put a child through something so unnecessary?

I can appreciate where you are coming from. After all they have christian schools, so why not a Satanic one? Right? However, it goes against Satanism. If we were to indoctrinate our children into our religion because it is right for us, we would be no better than the christians we despise.

In all honesty, I don't think that kids are all that interested in religion anyway. It also really doesn't matter what you raise them in, they will eventually make up their own mind. My Grandmother, dye in the wool Satanist that she was, never labeled herself as such. She always claimed to be a christian. Still, she never went to church in all the years she helped to raise me. She didn't preach the bible or any other religion to me. I examined many religious philosophies and made up my mind (when I was around 16 or 17).

I understand your new found joy in Satanism. However, one does not have to go around beating one's chest to "prove" that they are Satanic. I never try to prove anything. I don't need someone else's validation to make what I say right. The very fact that I say whatever I do makes it right for me, and that is all I care about. I never looked to any of Dr. Lavey's writings to tell me how to run my life, they reflected how I already was. Likewise, I would never look to a member, Reverend, Priest or Magister of the CoS for instruction on what I should or shouldn't do. I am quite capable of running my own life and secure in how I do so. I view anyone who has read and understands the Satanic Bible and the principals set forth by Dr. Lavey as brothers in arms regardless of their title or lack there of.

Having said that, it is desirable for everyone to want to make some sort of impact on the world (ego). To over simplify it, this can be done by your very existence if you are true to yourself. On a more complex level, the people you know will pick up on who and what you are by subtle cues, that come natural to you (because they are natural you won't even be aware you are giving them). Beyond that, lead by example. Be yourself. Don't do or say you feel anything just because it is written in a book, or someone else tells you it's so. If you think it's bullshit it's bullshit. You wouldn't imagine the impact that you will have if you take this attitude. That is a very Satanic way to live your life.

Hail Satan!

Edited by Wylie (10/12/07 01:19 AM)

#276755 - 10/12/07 09:27 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: de_Lioncourt]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Please read all of my posts on page 7, they'll clear up your confusion about whether or not I ever suggested Satanic indoctrination. Just because I asked about the establishment of a school, specific reasons for doing so do not automatically follow.

Thank you for the bottom paragraph of your post, however... That was very (...what's a Satanistic replacement for "illuminating", which conveys the same thing?). I am tryig to avoid coming across like I want to be taught Satanism, but at the same time, there are questions that just reading a book will not answer.

#276758 - 10/12/07 09:49 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Mr. Mischief
(...what's a Satanistic replacement for "illuminating", which conveys the same thing?).

"Illuminating".

#276786 - 10/12/07 02:08 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
I am tryig to avoid coming across like I want to be taught Satanism, but at the same time, there are questions that just reading a book will not answer.

I wouldn't be so quick to make that statement, you haven't read any of the books yet.

Everything you need is there. If you want to avoid coming off like you are attempting to be spoon fed about this religion, I'd suggest you hold off on posting lots of questions until you have at least read the Satanic Bible.

#276800 - 10/12/07 03:33 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: de_Lioncourt]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Wylie
Mr. Mischief,

We are strongly considering homeschooling our son.

I believe there are some here who are doing that.Maybe you can get some resources.

Personally...I could not. I barely have the patience to be a father.

About Satanic edumication, or whatever is...or is not...being advocated (I just couldn't seem to make it through all these posts)...our kids will grow up to live in the real world. That world will still be dominated by Christians, Secular Humanists and other misguided individuals. Might not learning how to move in that world also be part of their education. My son is in public school. When the teacher, or anyone else goes on about God, he looks at us and rolls his eyes. They may be smarter than we give them credit for.

Besides, you cannot teach anyone to be a Satanist.

#276816 - 10/12/07 05:28 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
de_Lioncourt Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I hope that is not what you got from my post.

Hail Satan!

#276829 - 10/12/07 07:35 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: de_Lioncourt]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Wylie
 Quote:

I hope that is not what you got from my post.

Hail Satan!

No...Not at all.

#276843 - 10/12/07 10:31 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Mr. Mischief]
de_Lioncourt Offline
CoS Member

First, I was unaware that you have yet to read the Satanic Bible. So I must ask you, why would you want or have any interest in starting a Satanic school when you can not yet be certain your a Satanist? For all you know, you could read it and disagree with everything it says. If that is the case wouldn't you feel the slightest bit silly for taking such a strong position? Wait until you read it, then if you agree with it, begin practicing and advocating it.

Quote:
That was very (...what's a Satanistic replacement for "illuminating", which conveys the same thing?)

I feel generous so let me share one of my favorite quotes from Dr. Lavey with you:

Quote:
Satan demands a much harder task than signing over your soul in blood. He demands that you live your life as fully as you can, prosper by your own wits and avoid misery. You wouldn't believe what a tall order that is for most people

What I am trying to convey is that you will get a lot further if you are yourself. Forget labels and this board for a minute, this is something you should already be applying regardless of what you choose to call yourself. By your above statement, you seem to be looking for something to replace who you are. That is not Satanism.

I have known many people of the left handed path personally. Some are like myself (not members of the CoS but Satanists no less), I have known several members of the CoS. Several years ago, I even had a couple of conversations with someone who knew Dr. Lavey personally. You know what? The language that we all speak is normal. It is what comes natural to us. It is how we talk every day. Satanists don't need to use esoteric words to seem mysterious. We are mysterious to most people by our very nature.

Hail Satan!

#276871 - 10/13/07 04:16 AM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: Discipline]
Vyacheslav Offline

Loc: Ukraine
Sorry if it very privatly - are Your close relatives - wife and children know about Your belief?

#278184 - 10/19/07 09:32 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Majic Offline

Loc: Sagittarius III
The Devil You Say!

None, I'm happy to say. And even happier to say that the total will probably never increase, because this scenario simply doesn't apply to me.

There are various reasons for this, but chief among them is the fact that by the time anyone would ever have cause to ask me this question,** they would already know me well enough not to bother.

Meanwhile, if someone who didn't know me were to ask me what my religion is, I like to think I would speak thusly:

"I Am What I Am."

They can figure out the rest on their own.

**Since I left military service, anyway. Gotta put something on the dog tags, you know.

#278374 - 10/20/07 10:27 PM Re: Peoples reactions to your religion [Re: shadowraven213]
Phazero Offline

Loc: Dallas,Texas
If anyone laughed at my religion, I would ask them there's...and laugh harder.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406024 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements