Topic Options
#272401 - 09/20/07 03:15 AM "Fenriz"
GUEVARA. Offline

Loc: United States
I have been wondering this for quite a while. In the Satanic Bible, under the "Infernal Names", Anton LaVey lists "Fenriz" as the son of Loki, whom is depicted as a wolf. I have looked it up in many Norse Mythology books, and nowhere can I find the same translation for the name. In the old Norse sources, he is called Fenrisúlfr, and often Fenrir for short. The other translations for the name that I have come across are:
Fenris wolf(an English translation of Fenrisulfr)
Fenrisulf (an Anglicized form)
Fenris (not found in the Old Norse sources)
Fenrisulven (modern Norwegian, Swedish and Danish form)
Fenrisúlvur (Faroese)
Fenrisúlfur (Icelandic)

My question is, where did Anton LaVey get the translation of "Fenriz" from? Did he make it up? Or can it be found somewhere? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and hope to hear from someone soon.

#272409 - 09/20/07 04:21 AM Re: "Fenriz" [Re: GUEVARA.]
Magister_Lang Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: I-BLISS!
I believe that may be the German variation of the word. People seem to pick and choose with this one however I believe Fenris is more of a proper way of spelling it as well as the others you have shown. I have seen it spelled this way elsewhere aside from the Satanic Bible but I cannot remember where. If someone else knows please PM me.
HS!

Edited by Magister_Lang (09/20/07 05:45 PM)
“The world, like a wolf pack is not all the licking of pups and howls by the moonlight. Sometimes there just needs to be a gnashing of teeth and a ripping of flesh to put things back into the natural order of things.”

XLII A.S.

"Magic is a tool and is essentially useless unless it can serve you here and now! Anything else is simply an act in faith and an excuse for failure in the here and now." XLVI A.S. R. Lang

"Chaos is a creation of mankind and does not exist within the uncompromising fascism of natures laws! Everything has order." XLVI A.S R. Lang

"To believe in Chaos one must believe that their is some kind of God who all of a sudden put everything into order! That!, I cannot relate too..."
R. Lang XLVI A.S.

#272687 - 09/21/07 01:22 AM Re: "Fenriz" [Re: GUEVARA.]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Its an insignificant variant in phonetic translation that could have come from any older reference book on mythology.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#272709 - 09/21/07 05:31 AM Re: "Fenriz" [Re: Magister_Lang]
GUEVARA. Offline

Loc: United States
Thank you for your reply Magister_Lang. I agree that "Fenris" would be more of a proper way of spelling it. I used to believe that "Fenriz" was perhaps the German variation of the word, but considering that the Teutonics shared the same Norse mythology, they used Fenrir or Fenrisúlfr. So therefore, I think that Fenrisúlfr may be the German variation of the word already. Although it may indeed be a "insignificant variant in phonetic translation that could have come from any older reference book on mythology," as Svengali stated ( Thank you for your reply as well by the way), I am still curious to where it came from. I'd like to think that Anton had a reason to why he decided to spell it that way in the Satanic Bible. Anyways, thank you once again, and if you do find out or remember where you saw it spelled the same way, feel free to PM me with the answer as well.

Forum Stats
12019 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements