Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#27501 - 03/31/04 06:36 AM Re: The WRITER [Re: HLGwyn]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
Nothing worth having is ever "easy" but it does not have to be easy to enjoy it.
I know what you mean by writers constipation( never heard writers block called that,interesting) it's a problem I'm currently experiencing, half way through and the "oh shit where'd it go's" have got me.
Dark greetings
DrkMasterPrince

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#27502 - 03/31/04 08:12 AM Re: The WRITER [Re: Nyarlathotep]
GloryS9 Offline
Banned

Loc: Houston, Texas
NO, do not think that I would be irresponsible in my approach, either way. The last part of your post summed up what I was really saying!
Glory

#27503 - 03/31/04 09:45 PM Constipation [Re: Prince_Satanicus]
HLGwyn Offline

Loc: Colorado
When it comes to Creative Constipation (writers block) my method is to continue writing as an upraised middle finger to being stumped.

I do not have to pen the masterful stroke in one poetic sweep, and if I am at a loss for the right words, I put it out however I can get it out. When the whole can of worms have been set to page...then...then I can go back and set rhythm and flair to the content, and let the creative muse whisper.

If I continue to be lagging in the ooomph-hurrah-zing-pow department, I then question if what I have to say is within the flow of the whole.

Deletion of passages is preferable to putting out possible junk and there is a multitude of other things that can be explored as writing subjects and threads.

It could be set as an analogy of music also. Sometimes emotion and depth can be set by skillfull rests and pauses, or a lonely wail of a horn. One note can usher in a whole register of emotion, when it sustains and warbles like some love-sick bird making its' despairing call.

Another exercise I use when I am stuffed up with power and no voice, is to look to the ubsurd. I people watch.

I ad-lib their words and guess at their body language to create situations. If I see some sweet old grandmother driving her out of date, refrigerator white land-yacht through the local supermarket parking lot...I imagine her cars' trunk filled with bodies, and set up a whole new story to that circumstance. If I see two lovers on a park bench, I turn the female into a recent widow, and the male into a serial killer she met at some church group, but he is not known as such....until it is too late. I explore each person and setting to extreme limits, and conclusions.

If I do not free up my blocks at that point, well... I just thought of two other whole stories, with characters and plots, that I can pursue until I can open back up to my previous stories/writings and get back to finishing them.

The most disturbing thing about writers block is that it is self inflicted, and it seems to be more than it really is.

Now if you are writing on deadlines to meet some projects goal, and you are stuck...I do not know how to help in that area. I work at my best when I have doom on the horizon, and an anxious party wringing their hands for me to make it on time. The...my...door opens and some of my most intense outpourings to date have been set under the skull and crossbones of immediate failure.

I also excercise my creative muscle..A.K.A my gray brain...by writing here. I write letters, some to my wife who I can just talk to, some to family and friends, some to made up people. ***Try writing a letter as if you were in a great town of antiquity, far away from home for the first time. You are writing to your wealthy uncle who sent you out on this adventure, and you describe the gates of the city, the smell of the town, the robbery/murder you JUST witnessed as you purchased some exotic spice from the poor sap who JUST sold you the spice and who was the target of the VIVID robbery/murder. Make the town Rome, Make it Shadow Dale, Make it a western, Make it victorian, Make it Sci-Fi...blend it all. Suspend disbelief, forget your worst critic...YOU...spill the beans. Clean up afterward when the deed is done.

Another thing that might help...quit reading what you write.
Period.
You are not writing when you are reading.
The only time I read what I have put forth, is when I tilt back on the rear legs of my chair, clasping my hands behind my head and expelling a hushed "It is Done!" into the empty room.

I even leave my writings alone....gasp, what a shocker, until I almost forget about them. Then, when I re-visit them, it is with almost new eyes and fresh creative stamina and desire to be critical as well as entertained. I make judgements based on the like-new experience of pouring over the marvels I can create, and when I am fresh, I can edit my material with a firm disposition.

The between times are twilight, creating more people, building new conflict, constructing new settings...only to put them aside and roll the process over again for another bout of creation...destruction...then I rivisit my work and clean it up...over and over...never ending, until I grow senile and mad, from too many years of life.

Then I will shit myself and complain as some old geezers do when their nurse comes to clean them up.

"Look, I made a shtinky!"

#27504 - 04/01/04 04:53 AM Re: Constipation [Re: HLGwyn]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Very good suggestions, I will try some of them. I always read what I've written after every few paragraphs. Perhaps that's why it takes me so long to get the things done.
Dark Eve
DrkMasterPrince

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#27505 - 04/01/04 09:30 AM Re: The WRITER [Re: BurningJayde]
Chaostar Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I'm a writer, and my friends call me twisted and such things all the time. It's true, and a lot of people expect me to try and act 'normal', but I find it makes life a little more interesting.

#27506 - 04/01/04 11:27 AM Re: The WRITER [Re: Chaostar]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My ex boyfriend wanted to be a writer but he chose to train to be a lawyer instead. Just because writing is like say wanting to be a musician or an artist. It's the kind of thing you either make it or you don't. Even if you do get a publisher if your books aren't a success then you can be dropped. It's one of those things that people think is cool but a lot of people hoping to be say a writer needs other jobs that give you money.
However if you have one hugely successful book, wins an award whether it be something important like the hugo or booker prize then your set up for your next book. People will buy it even if it isn't as good and your name will become will known. Of course if you continue to do books that are at least seen as well written you'll always be popular with a small group of people.If you are well known and write books that are good then you can become a big success. Some writers do really well but maybe don't write that good. Your subject matter is always important. You can say deal with challenging issues as long as they are universal.Talking about things like black paganism or whatever isn't going to sell that well. It just won't appeal to a mass audience unless of course it's a popular subject matter for people who think they are 'different'. So i suppose when you write a book you have to think about those things as well. So you can be realistic about how well it could do even if it did do well.
So been 'weird' means nothing when it comes to a book things like horror, serial killers and so forth or whatever are really popular. Even people like Irvine Welsh talked about beastility and necrophilia. As long as people can relate to the story or gain something insightful out of it.You couldn't go on about death, torture or pain or whatever without it being for a reason.
Anyway everyone has different definations of what it means to be normal or weird i don't think it is important.

Edited by acertainage (04/01/04 11:56 AM)

#27507 - 04/01/04 12:46 PM Dear Dark Master Prince, [Re: Prince_Satanicus]
HLGwyn Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have noticed the writing and essay section...it is the perfect place for flexing your creative side, and building the muscle of skilled expression.

Novels are great for sweeping people off of their imaginative feet, but the short story is an intense study in conveying ideas within captivating space. Every word counts within a short story, and it could lead to freedom of movement when dealing with longer stretches of writing.

I have come to understand that you like the genre of fantasy, and I assume that the story you are in the middle of concerns the same. I suggest that you take the world that you have built, find a small area of it at set a one person/character mini story upon it.

Keep the flow of events to about a 15 minute time frame of the characters circumstance.

(My sudden idea) Cassie Landsmith, a sweet lass of about eleven short years, has wandered too far from the caravan she was in. She barely hears the creaks of the pack horse harnesses, and the plaintive calls of the caravan outriders to keep the formation tight within the dark woods they now travel in.
She finds herself in the canopy of old woods, and mossy stone...she is suddenly lost!
Snap! From her left she hears a branch break, and she calls out to her older brother who she was certain had followed her.
A low rumble, the sound of a hunter intent on tearing and devouring, answers her call.

To quickly end the tease, find some suitable monster that would love to have the shreds of Cassie around its' snuffling fang encrusted snout. Orcs, dire-wolves, cannibal raiders...hell even Tanjo, the escaped circus bear sportin' a mean case of hemorhoids and distemper, would be neat!

Make Cass' loveable and endear her to the reader. Build fear by having her threatened and chased (keep her hunter as an unknown, but very real threat), end quickly by the sudden realised foe (drum roll please....) then have Cassie win...or lose, if yer of the sadistic type...but make the absolute end *unforseeable* until you nail the landing like some olympic gymnast.

Man, that sounds like an awesome story! It has elements that make it oh-so-familiar....BUT...it is unlike the classic hack and slash adventure of grande heroism that is lining bookshelves to abundance. It would stand out.

Another quick story that would ROCK the boat of same-old-shit blather lining the collective minds of the reader market...

Untesh Nazquinn a wilder-elf of the StaggHart clan finds himself seeing through the gray fog of a semi-concious state. He (maybe she...) hears the sounds of battle all around. The screams of agony and rage flood the ears. Some-one runs right on top of him yelling frantic pleas for some unknown god to help, OH PLEASE HELP! as small warm drops of what can only be blood spatter on poor Unteshes' face. Untesh is not sure, but it seemed as if the warrior that trod on him had two stumps where the arms should have been, and a writhing green lump clinging onto his back...ripping and tearing with a wicked curved dagger. Some goblin on it's fantastic ride of murderous intent, Untesh figures.

How does it end? Who knows, what with the millions of possibilities...Untesh has the last helpless look as an ogre puts its' mouth around his head for an after-battle snack...he comes fully awake to the light of the full moon and sees the entire battlefield swathed in the blue spirit light of the recently dead...he gets a dagger in his helmet visor and the twisting of it in his eye socket reminds him of a barkeep stirring a Dragon Fizzey at the local tavern he used to frequent...He thinks he is alone, and the battle done when he comes fully to, only to find himself on a spit above some coals...man, the possibilities...

Feel free to use those ideas if you wish, they sure sound like a whole lotta fun...I got butt-loads of ideas, and I will not begrudge you if you use them, as what matters is not so much the idea itself, but how one can work the words to make the idea come alive. I do look foreward to seeing some evil tidbit that has dripped from your pen, Sir...I loves to read.

Good luck Sir.

#27508 - 04/01/04 01:16 PM Re: Dear Dark Master Prince, [Re: HLGwyn]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Thank you, I am always ready to accept new ideas and to learn. I may take up the essays and writings section.
Darkest Greetings
DrkMasterPrince

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#27509 - 04/01/04 09:16 PM Re: Satanic Jobs
Dracul Offline

Loc: Romania
That is also my kind of job. A few good deals can get someone on top, a few bad ones can ruin him. Only the best remanin.
A perfect satanic job.

#27510 - 04/01/04 09:28 PM Re: Satanic Jobs [Re: GoldenCalf]
Dracul Offline

If you try to make it on you own, to open your own business, then you won't have to tolerate anything, no boss, no schedule.... And you won't see the job as an obligation anymore, you'll even love it ...that's because everything there is yours and you do whatever you want with it. You can loose everything or you can get rich ...if it's your business it's up to you.
Plus that you'll be the one writing the paychecks.

#27511 - 04/02/04 05:00 PM Re: Satanic Jobs [Re: Dracul]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
2 April XXXIX A.S.
Quote:

If you try to make it on you own, to open your own business, then you won't have to tolerate anything, no boss, no schedule....

You're kidding, right?

I can assure you that tolerance is still a necessity in self-business -- only the sources change.

In many businesses, you have to deal with some or all of the following: employees, payroll, audits, other tax hassles, distributors, customers, clients, third-party suppliers, utilities, rent, overhead, stock, the economy (!), lawyer fees, shipping costs, deadlines from outside sources, promotion, and the list goes on. The "You Are Your Own Boss" idealism only goes so far. If your efforts involve, either in a direct or oblique way, even one other person (which they virtually all do), then it's not necessarily the idyllic garden of delights you so flamboyantly imply it as.
Quote:

And you won't see the job as an obligation anymore, you'll even love it

You MIGHT love it, but either way, it's still an obligation... unless you don't care about it and it doesn't matter if it goes belly up. Many businesspeople don't have that luxury.
Quote:

that's because everything there is yours and you do whatever you want with it.

Love the implied lack of symbiosis. Let me know where besides Fantasyland this business is to be erected.
Quote:

Plus that you'll be the one writing the paychecks.

Firmly dependent, of course, on some or all of the outside influences mentioned before. Come to think of it, a lot of your post sounds like the rhetoric from one of those time-sharing / pyramid scams. There are entire infomercials that spout the same lines.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#27512 - 04/02/04 09:04 PM Re: Satanic Jobs [Re: Dracul]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I'll have to agree with Reverend Paradise on this one, being your own boss is not in the slightest bit easier than working for "The Man". Your "boss" as it were becomes the consumers you are dealing with, if they don't like what you're offering, you don't eat. The schedule is true, you have no set schedule, it's a 24 hour thing now. Very few days off, and commitment unlike any your employees will encompass...rent, audits, et al. If something happens, it's on you, be it good or bad.

Humans are a very volatile animal. Employees will prove that, as will the customers. It's a kill or be killed thing. Some days it works, some days it doesn't, but never is it Utopia.

So for those that think the boss is out to get them, take a step back and evaluate what you're doing. We're just trying to get a job done, and it will get done with or without you.

Regards,
Solomon

#27513 - 04/05/04 12:01 PM Re: Satanic Jobs [Re: MagisterParadise]
Foxy_Ramirez Offline

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Much applause, Reverand. It's true, you got to work your ass off to run a business, not only that, but you need a pretty damn education too, and that cost both money and time that you may not have. I just recently got finished with an accounting class; it took a year and it's just the basics, but it will save me a bunch of money because I won't have to hire some jackass to do it for me. People are wrong when they say all the good things in life are free. All the good things in life are hard earned at the cost of blood and time.

#27514 - 04/06/04 07:56 AM Re: Satanic Jobs [Re: MagisterParadise]
Dracul Offline

No, I am not kidding.
I run my own business and I'm not so tolerant about it.
In dealing with the things that you've listed, I consider that the necessity is diplomacy rather than tolerance.

I understand "obligation" as something you are forced to do and I do not feel like I'm being forced into anything. I feel good about what I'm doing and that's why I say that I love my job.

Why does it have to be erected in Fantasyland? If you own a thing is yours and you can do anything you want with it. You may lose it or you may use it to gain more ...that's up to you.
For your information, that Fantasyland is right here on earth ...it's called Romania.

In the end, please understand that I'm talking about my business as everybody here talked about their jobs. It might not be appliable to yours, you may run a different thing than mine, but whatever I say here on this forum I say it from my point of view and from my position. It might not be suitable for you, your country might have different laws, you are a different person that runs a different business elsewere.

#27515 - 01/02/07 05:55 AM Re: Satanic Jobs [Re: Dracul]
blaskhyrk Offline

Loc: Poland
Satanists can have many job, and job what they like. when they offering a lot of cash for you you can go, for me i'd like to be a mortician or a pathological surgeon doctor. But we can also work as a refereers or prosecutors and lawyers.

Edited by blaskhyrk (01/02/07 05:57 AM)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12010 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405202 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements