Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#275889 - 10/07/07 05:44 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
shadowraven213 Offline

I would only have free will if i had no other wills to contend with.

every action i take either affects or is affected by another action performed by another animal with a will just as i do or any other animal does, nature on the other hand has no will but it has rules as such you cannot will gravity to reverse to the best of my knowledge.

Therefore i would only have free will if there was nothing that could affect my own will and that wouldnt be much fun at all, so in answer to the question i would die quite quickly because i would have no air, gravity, food or water or indeed anything at all!

That isnt to say that i dont have "freedom of will" which is something very different, this term means the freedom to shape, change or manifest your desires useing all the tools at your disposal thereby pushing aside weaker wills than your own and attaining the freedom to do what you will.

#275897 - 10/07/07 07:01 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Moon Shadow]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
If you are sitting here contemplating it, I feel you have already missed the point. Free Will is a concept. Therefore, it is already flawed and a big mistake. Thinking about it is like holding the key to your own jail cell and spending 20 years trying to decide what you will do first with your new found freedom.
Go and live it. Stop worrying about defining it. Go be the best YOU you can be. Push yourself, challenge yourself, reach beyond every boundary that is thrown up before you. Free Will is a concept invented by those who want to convince you you have more freedom that they are allowing you. Either go and BE FREE, or just shut your cell door and throw the key out the tower window!

#275932 - 10/08/07 12:24 AM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I wouldn't want 100% total free will. Biological constraint is half the fun of living. If I could just will whatever I wanted I would have no need for lesser magic, and what fun would that be?

edit: To clarify, I like challenge. I find having challenges thrown at me to be enjoyable. If things are too easy, they're not fun.

So to answer "what would you do with it?"

My answer would be "get bored of it".

Edited by tovasshi (10/08/07 12:29 AM)

#276079 - 10/08/07 07:30 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
August-Wolfe Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
 Originally Posted By: LeviathanXIII
(even if happiness is nothing more than biological approval of your circumstances).

...and the drive and desire to achieve more must be prefaced by a state of dissatisfaction with your circumstances.

Edited by AugustWolfe (10/08/07 07:30 PM)

"I have as much authority as the Pope - I just don't have as many people who believe it." ...George Carlin

#276097 - 10/08/07 08:54 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Mr. Mischief Offline

Loc: Boston, America
what would you do with it?

If it was truly free??

I'd put it on ebay and sell it for $100 profit.

#276101 - 10/08/07 09:34 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I thought about this question under a different light. If "free will" is to be understood as "action without consequences" then I would be able to act irresponsibly without recourse. The law of my land would not apply to me, nor the law of any land for that matter.

The problem is that you didn't define what you meant by "free will." That phrase means different things to different people.

#276277 - 10/09/07 07:26 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
Thank you for this question, it really pushed my mind into unexplored territory.

#276630 - 10/11/07 02:28 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Discipline]
Evil Jack Offline

Loc: Florida
Exactly what i do now. Enjoy the pleasures of life. Despite the countless laws against some carnal pleasures(i.e. brothels), you still have free will. However free will of behavior, and free will of the concious mind are two very diffrent things. Anyone at anytime, can do as they please. However they still have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

#276934 - 10/13/07 02:39 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Evil Jack]
irchel Offline

my mind tends to do a lot of self reflection lately. My mind, not me, as I *think* my self is a product of my brain. Don't *know* it, cannot. If the above statement is true, then every action of mine has its origins in some neural firings of "my" nerval network. No free will. No will at all.

I would very much prefer the question "what is luck/happiness". Serotonine (spelling, don't know) yes, but if that's all, why not just inject it? Because it loses efficiency that way. Got me.

Edited by irchel (10/14/07 01:57 AM)

#277612 - 10/17/07 05:03 AM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
DevilsFoodCake Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Redwood Coast
I am a God, I have free will.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.

With very few absolute truths in the world know this; wherever you go, there you are.

Satanism is not clothing to be worn,
It is within you when you are born.

#277807 - 10/17/07 10:16 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Majic Offline

Loc: Sagittarius III
If I Had Free Will...

...I wouldn't be me.

To be me is to be an egotistical, self-absorbed primate of virtually no consequence in the universe outside of myself, a very small number of other primates and whatever other unfortunate life forms might cross my path.

The very nature of who and what I am precludes even the most remote possibility of ever possessing any trait which could truly be considered "free will".

So the question is moot.

Or at the very least, it's somebody else's problem.

#277965 - 10/18/07 06:32 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Majic]
LanceAlton Offline

Loc: Delphi
\:\) Causative Determinism.

We are making the best decisions possible for ourselves in the moment, whether we are planning ahead or not. This is commonly mistaken as "free will".

If I had free will, I would log off and go masturbate in the shower. (That's still what I'm going to do, though.)

#321447 - 04/16/08 09:40 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Lust Offline

This post has stuck with me for some time. After reading back over THE ANTICHRIST; I found myself laughing when thinking about some of the replies. Imaginary causes indeed. coopdevil

HS!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#321456 - 04/16/08 10:08 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Lust]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I enjoyed this thread more than most because I managed to make a lot of people disagree with me for entirely different reasons.

For a practical joke it sure turned into a nice argument!

#321457 - 04/16/08 10:09 PM Re: If you had free will... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
D. Macabre Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The South Bay, CA

For a practical joke it sure turned into a nice argument!

Cynical SOB. wink laugh
The Social Cesspool!
The Grumpy Sergeant

"A man who limits his interests, limits his life." --Vincent Price

“Do what you want as long as it's paying off for you. But once it's become a liability, then something is wrong and you better find out what it is.” --Anton Szandor LaVey

"I have only ONE thing to say to trendy brain-dead music-centered youth: “ARBEIT MACHT FREI” SHITHEADS – PULL UP YOUR STUPID PANTS AND FORM A LINE AT THE PLATFORMS, THE TRAINS WILL BE ARRIVING SOON." --Magister James D. Sass

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12255 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements