Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#278780 - 10/23/07 09:07 AM What law, and where?
DexRex Offline

Loc: UK
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have not found a solution by reading or searching the forums.

I have seen some people quite severely (rightly) criticised for mentioning their participation in illegal or drug related activities. But, what about those people (like myself) who don't live in America? The law where I live is sometimes surprisingly different, also the laws in the places I travel to. Which law 'wins out' on the forum?

Also, is there a 'common sense filter' regarding mentioning activities that may be technically illegal (or legal) but commonly ignored, or just plain stupid?

Thanks.

#278781 - 10/23/07 09:12 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: DexRex]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
If it's not illegal in your country, then you have your answer.

That of course doesn't negate the stupidity of willfully ingesting harmful toxins.

If you're in an area that it is illegal, you also have your answer; it is stupid to break the law.

As for here, you're participating amongst a group of people that do not condone illegal activity.

Common sense indeed.

Edited by Poetaster (10/23/07 10:29 AM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#278784 - 10/23/07 09:40 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: Poetaster]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I concur.

I will say this as well, even though one thing may be legal in your Country does not necessarily mean it's a good idea to participate in.

For instance:

It is legal in some countries to beat ones wife. Does that necessarily mean it's a good law?

Common sense is key.

I might also add that I am a bit tired of drug usage issues being brought up time and time again.

The CoS website and this site as well has many topics/essays etc. written on the subject.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#278788 - 10/23/07 09:59 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: Evil_Eve]
DexRex Offline

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Have no fear, I only mentioned the drugs issue in reference to the main 'slip ups' I have seen on here. Your drug laws are for WIMPS! We've only recently stopped shooting them \:\)

No, I was more worried about writing about bribing policemen, traffic laws, corruption etc. You know, boring stuff to anyone living here but I can imagine a few people being 'concerned' on here.

#278789 - 10/23/07 10:06 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: DexRex]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Considering your location, I can actually understand your questions.

This question is most appropriate in the "Questions Concerning The Church of Satan" forum. But, since it is here...

If someone is intelligent enough to be a Satanist, there is no reason they would need to question why the Church of Satan makes a public stand against drug abuse and illegal activities.

If someone needs to ask
Can I be a Satanist and (fill in the blank), they either are not a Satanist, but a sheep; or, to be charitable, they have a lot more study to do.

There is no asking about what one does with his or her own life. Responsibility to the responsible. But, if one wishes to affiliate with The Church of Satan, there ARE standards. The minimum standard is not to be stupid. Breaking the law is stupid. Recreational drug use is stupid. Announcing to the world you do such things is stupid.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#278848 - 10/23/07 02:53 PM Re: What law, and where? [Re: DexRex]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
Which law 'wins out' on the forum?

The board's owner and the CoS are located in the U.S., so U.S. law wins out when posting here.

Any posts promoting anything that can be considered as promoting illegal activity, regardless of what part of the world you're in, won't be tolerated.
Prevention of Virtue

#278998 - 10/24/07 05:47 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: LKRice]
DexRex Offline

Ok, many thanks, I've now got the answer I needed.

#279177 - 10/24/07 10:41 PM Re: What law, and where? [Re: DexRex]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Discussion of crimes that occur is fine. Participating in them, advocating them, describing your personal crimes, etc, not okay.

If you have some desire to discuss problems in Thailand, by all means do so.

Also, to the above users:

Please allow moderators/hierarchy to advise on questions regarding forum or CoS policy even if the question is placed outside the CoS Q&A forum. Priestess LKRice's response was the only one necessary.

#279631 - 10/27/07 01:05 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
DexRex Offline

Yes, I do have things to discuss about crime in Thailand and Cambodia, also other aspects too.

Thanks again for your help.

#280425 - 10/31/07 03:01 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: DexRex]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
 Originally Posted By: DexRex
We've only recently stopped shooting them

Another country going down the drain. What a shame!
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#283353 - 11/14/07 09:57 PM Re: What law, and where? [Re: Citizen Jonesy]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I have not been on the board very long, but I have read quite a few old threads, and that is probably one of the most frequently asked questions, worthy of some "Satanism FAQ". Besides drugs being illegal, and I will use pot as an example (As it is quite prominent where I live) why would you want to use something that makes you lazy, unproductive, and clouds rational thinking? The same debate could be used for alcohol, and I agree there, too! What is the point really of spending 200 dollars, hard earned, to get "Shitfaced", and spend the rest of your night, bowing at the porcelain temple, slurring to your friend about "how I reeally wanna bang your sister" ? To have a drink, and enjoy oneself is okay...why is that better then drugs? Because that, at least, is legal.

This post is very general of course, and I don't want anyone to feel it is directed at them in any way, including the creator of the topic, I just find it interesting how unclear this still seems to many OTHER people who have posted here.

#284353 - 11/19/07 06:30 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: TheDegenerate]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who come here trying to argue that pot is okay, I mean, it's practically legal isn't it? Everyone does it!

No, it's not, and no they don't. And even if it was, I've met too many people whose synapses no longer work because they fried them on weed to ever recommend it as an indulgence of choice.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#284546 - 11/20/07 12:52 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: Scion]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I know people who smoke pot.

For them it is not an indulgence, and never has been. They do it everyday, and go out of their ways to obtain it when it runs out...even if they are broke and have to do questionable things to get the money for it.

#284551 - 11/20/07 01:05 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: TheDegenerate]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Phosis
I know people who smoke pot.

For them it is not an indulgence, and never has been. They do it everyday, and go out of their ways to obtain it when it runs out...even if they are broke and have to do questionable things to get the money for it.

Exactly. The amount of energy they put into defending it suggests compulsion, not indulgence. If it is something casual to them, why waste so much energy defending it when the site is full of examples of people getting banned for advocating it.

To me that's the best counter-argument to any claim that it's not addictive and does not affect your intelligence.

I too have seen a number of my friends go down the road you describe, always having a very good justification. Obviously we drifted apart, but I still suspect that they are living in the same squalid apartments with no jobs using their so-called expanded consciousness staring into space accomplishing nothing.

#284626 - 11/20/07 09:18 AM Re: What law, and where? [Re: Scion]
DexRex Offline

Originally Posted By: Scion

I've met too many people whose synapses no longer work because they fried them on weed to ever recommend it as an indulgence of choice.

Just to emphasise this point, I regularly get exactly the same conversation over and over again from a guy at work - a former heavy canabis user, who has suffered 'no ill effects' from his previous indulgence...

And alcohol should be treated with greater care than it is (certainly in Britain). One of the things I love about Thailand is the lack of drunken thugs (although I have seen them here).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements