Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27885 - 02/23/04 03:32 PM Another MUST READ.............
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Anton LaVey: On Occultism of the Past

Another classic archived on the Church of Satan Website

Read closely and be aware of those who would mix shit with shinola.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#27886 - 02/23/04 03:42 PM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Svengali]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thankyou Reverend Svengali. Any new (or rediscovered) material of Anton LaVey's is most heartily welcomed from this young lady.

#27887 - 02/23/04 04:35 PM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Svengali]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
An excellent read! I noticed this when it was first posted on the COS website, and it is now among my favorites of LaVey's essays. I'm surprised it wasn't included in The Devil's Notebook.
I agree fully with his stand on the work of past white-light occultists: 99% of it is useless bunkum. If a Satanist wishes to study the work of these kooks, he should do so with the knowledge that it can only be used as a supplement to (NOT a substitute for) true Satanic ritual.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#27888 - 02/23/04 05:21 PM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: SilverHammer]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
The comical thing is, white lighters and Pagans will occasionally try to sneer at me on the grounds that my magical tradition isn't filled with superfluous k's and fluff. If it's said simply and frankly, why, it must not be all that useful or impressive. It has to be lofty and incomprehensible in order to be REEEEEAL.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#27889 - 02/23/04 05:42 PM Re: Another MUST READ.............
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Yes, this is definitely a must read. LaVey really puts it into perspective. Initially, when I bought my first copy of The Satanic Bible, I was hesitant to jump into it because I expected it to be full of such esoteric mumbo jumbo. I was relieved to find that it was written with so much reason and common sense. I was like "hey, this is me"!

What really impressed me was his straight forward ideology of magic. I have flipped through many "accult" books looking for the real thing only to find a bunch of lovey dovey, leaf eating, "feal sorry for your own power" bull shit. It was a breath of fresh air to read a book that affirmed something that I have felt all my life, yet until that point, had been at odds with.

#27890 - 02/23/04 10:51 PM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Same shit different day. Each author bad mouthing the previous big author ad infinitum as a means to clarify the basic truths yet use derogatory veiws to plup their own opinions thusly lessening there own character.

Taste is the first distaste.

Context is everything.

#27891 - 02/23/04 11:24 PM Re: Another MUST READ.............
Lerue Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If you understood the Essay you would see that 'same shit, different day' is precisely what LaVey was writing against in blunt and unreserved fashion, an admirable trait which shines through in all his written works, and is supremely lacking in most 'magickal' tomes.

#27892 - 02/23/04 11:32 PM Re: Another MUST READ.............
Flavius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: BridgePort
And then there are people that are simply derogatory, without offering anything whatsoever.

#27893 - 02/24/04 12:09 AM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Lerue]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If you understood the Essay you would see that 'same shit, different day' is precisely what LaVey was writing against in blunt and unreserved fashion, an admirable trait which shines through in all his written works.

As i said context is everything.

#27894 - 02/24/04 12:16 AM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Svengali]
WvlfBlitzkrieg Offline

Loc: Dallas,Tx
I caught that a couple days ago.Very good read.

#27895 - 02/24/04 02:31 AM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Svengali]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
++Read closely and be aware of those who would mix shit with shinola.++

Until today, I thought I was the only person on the planet that used that old euphemism.

Usually I use it in the context of:That guy wouldn't know shit from shinola.

I have yet to figure out what "shinola" is. I think it's a brand name for shoe polish from a long time ago.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#27896 - 02/24/04 02:38 AM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Felstorm]
Anonymous
Unregistered

A quick Google just gave me this ...

#27897 - 03/02/04 06:14 PM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Svengali]
Satanya Offline
Banned

I don't fully agree with what he says on that essay. It gives the impression that one must take what he says for the only truth without studying anything else for themselves, on magic and occultism. He studied all occult forms out there, prior to forming the church and most certainly have applied some of it in inspiration. On The Secret Life Of A Satanist for example Magistra Blanch Barton comments briefly on his involvement with Thelema ( damnit, why did I not underline that part for reference! ). What Satanist doesn't have the desire of reading everything in Anton LAVey's library? It is also written elsewhere by HP Peter Gilmore, if I am not mistaken, that anything can be used in the ritual chamber to intensify the purpose... that is more like it, in my opinion. In order to question everything, one must study "everything" ... one can never know if they are " true Satanists " if they haven't dabbed in other territories. Water must be allowed to seek it's own level. I'm of the opinion that the studies of all areas can only enrich the Satanist. True, most occultists act and speak like if they resided in the moon, but Satanists know better than that, and remember not to throw the baby out with the bath water either. I used to dismiss anything Anton LaVey did not agree with, used to, I mean, c' mon, not very individualistic that isn't.

#27898 - 03/03/04 09:56 AM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Satanya]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

I don't fully agree with what he says on that essay. It gives the impression that one must take what he says for the only truth without studying anything else for themselves, on magic and occultism.

Where did he say that? I suggest you actually read the article before reacting to it.

You are tilting at windmills of your own creation.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#27899 - 03/03/04 10:01 AM Re: Another MUST READ............. [Re: Svengali]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
It seemes to me that he was saying that their white light mysticism was 90% bullshit and 10% real knowledge and he encouraged us to dig through the shit for ourselves to prove his point.
Just my take on it.
DMP

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405198 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM