Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#285377 - 11/23/07 06:55 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
That which annoys me makes me more cranky.

Existential ignorism.

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#285379 - 11/23/07 07:05 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Ygraine]
Gryphon66 Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Are you saying, Magistra, that such questions in themselves annoy you? If so, may I ask why? Are they pointless? Have you found your answers long ago, but simply have no interest in sharing them in a discussion? Do these questions not occur to you?

Also, I am familiar with the term "existential" but I cannot seem to find "ignorism" in any dictionary, though I must confess, it has certain poetic innovation. Could you point to an accepted definition? (Note that I'm not just trying to be a bitch here; I find the term used in many places, and I'm amazed that it's not defined. Useful term-- I just wonder where it comes from.)

Edited by Gryphon66 (11/23/07 07:12 PM)
Edit Reason: 'cause.

#285388 - 11/23/07 08:53 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
I'll just be honest about it- your style of writing reeks of pretentiousness- hence the negative responses.

Satanists have a common tendency to highly appreciate the "no-bullshit" approach to things.
Not being able to communicate ideas in a simple fashion does not make you look sophisticated.
On the contrary, it takes a true genius to simplify the complex, rather than complicate the simple.

Your point, from what I gathered, is asking what is the subjectively objective reality of each Satanist on board… ?
Did I get that about right?

Most Satanists are not concerned with the objective nature of reality, because we are modest enough to realize we cannot perceive it, so we simply adopt the subjectivity that works best for us.
Do what works for you as an individual; what you naturally feel must be done for your own good.
If you want to intellectually-masturbate about "objective reality"- if that what turns you on- go ahead and do it.
As long as it serves your selfish interests well...

#285389 - 11/23/07 09:02 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

To all who view this thread I call your attention upon Magister Nemo's post from another thread, where he uncovers a bait.

This post is also baited, but in a different manner.

How do we know? One clue is the open ended question, implying there are no right answers. Another is the appearance of inviting and appreciating all answers.

Do not be fooled.

The answers are not relevant to the poster. All that matters is the process of arguing for the sake of arguing. No matter what anyone else replies, it is deemed wrong.

There is a reason for this. The poster wears a badge that is called "Pseudo Intellectualism".

One can readily recognize these ones. In person, they talk incessantly. They just love listening to themselves talk. On a message board, they take three paragraphs to say what could be said in one sentence. And usually with fastidious verbosity.

You see, what matters to them is not the answer to their question, but to brag and show off their vocabulary and attempt to demonstrate how superior they are. All those words and twists and turns usually amount to a big hill of nothingness.

In person, they wear a smirk every time they make what they are convinced is a clever quip. In writing, they carefully choose words that veil an insult.

One may deal with their kind by ignoring them. Or, if you are in a playful mood, you may BAIT THEM instead. The manner in which they respond will let you know who you are dealing with.

Thank you for your time!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#285391 - 11/23/07 09:09 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: The_Lightning]
Gryphon66 Offline

A simple answer; thanks for your time.

#285392 - 11/23/07 09:13 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Phineas]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Funny, before I came to this board, I had never heard that kind of behaviour described as Phineas described it, let alone labelled.

Not only have I known people like that in the past, but I know them in the present. I just kind of dealt with them before, always thinking they were irritating, but not willing to say it, or act on it. My relatively new found sense of empowerment has allowed me to avoid them at all costs; I am much happier for it, and they are slowly running out of people to talk to.

Out of this entire thread, I really enjoyed that last post the most. It taught me something new, thank you Phineas.

#285393 - 11/23/07 09:25 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
shadowraven213 Offline

Originally Posted By: Gryphon66
Note that I'm not just trying to be a bitch here

Just when i thought you couldn't amuse me further, you certainly surprised me this time!.

I think you need to spend some more time on your posts, your spelling isn't perfect and your vocabulary seems a little limited, try harder please.

#285396 - 11/23/07 09:36 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Phineas]
Gryphon66 Offline

Magister, actually, I just write the way I write. I happen to enjoy words and language. If you, and Lightning, and others find my language pretentious and wordy, then so be it. You find it that way; makes no real difference to me. There's no ulterior motive, aside from what I had thought could be somewhat pleasant conversation on a holiday afternoon. That seems to have been a mistake on my part, at least in this context.

Your recommendation at the outset of the thread had merit. Live the life. Learn by doing. Produce something on your own, and then you won't have to ask for it. Pertinent if I had asked how to live my life, which, is nowhere to be found in what I wrote.

However, you left that behind and merely wandered into literary critique. You haven't made any point except to express your own opinion, not of the question, or what I said about the question, but simply of me. You don't like the way I write or express myself, fine, but damn, why make a capital case of it? Why not just mutter "dumbass" and move on? Again, why waste the time?

Inflating your response (and still, you make no response to the original question and intended topic of the post, which doesn't per se have any universal "right" answers as you indicate, but was merely intended for discussion of topic(s) that might be interesting to some and not others, but hey that's philosophy.) into an "object lesson" for others on the board ... just denotes intellectual dishonesty, pure and simple.

I'm a wordy bastard, yes, and I know it, but you; you're quite simply bloated on your sense of yourself, regardless of position. I don't think you recognize that, and I don't think you ever will.

#285399 - 11/23/07 09:44 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
A simple answer; thanks for your time.

If that's the kind of answer you were looking for, it makes one wonder if you've really looked into Satanism.
What I've said is very obvious for anyone who read LaVey's works..
So what you've succeeded on doing is asking a question with a very obvious answer, in a manner which you thought might disguise the ignorance behind it (but obviously didn't).

People who beg to be spoon-fed are not welcomed here, naturally, because they tend to waste people's time.

Bottom line:
Magister Phineas is spot-on.

#285400 - 11/23/07 09:45 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

You ARE the question. You asked the question, and your writing represents who you are, and what you think.

You then went on to respond to a few individuals critque of the question with veiled insults, and petty assumptions.

You failed to answer questions from some, and mocked them ouright (Does the *yawn* thing ring a bell?)

Phineas very rationally pointed out the underlying theme of your post, and you went on to call him pompous (Or, implied it at least)

You then complain how this post became overblown, when you yourself contributed to that many times.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it just doesn't seem to add up.

#285402 - 11/23/07 09:50 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
On Black Friday, shovels are half-price for hypocrites.

Stratification in motion is a beautiful thing to behold.

\:>

Edited by Poetaster (11/23/07 09:56 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#285403 - 11/23/07 09:51 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: TheDegenerate]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Anyways, as puzzling as this thread is (As in, why it exists to begin with) I think I will take Phineas' advice and ignore this completely. I may be inadvertently feeding the fire, so I digress, and apologize in advance if the user replies with seven or eight more paragraphs about LttD user failures/inadequacies, using my name in place of Phineas, or The Lightning, or Ygraine, etc, etc, etc.

#285405 - 11/23/07 09:56 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: TheDegenerate]
Gryphon66 Offline

You're all absolutely right. Can't put a thing past you.

Enjoy the club.

FINIS

#285407 - 11/23/07 10:04 PM Re: "Nothing Unreal Exists" [Re: Gryphon66]
shadowraven213 Offline

I am quite simply bloated on my sense of Importance, regardless of anyone else. I don't think i recognize that, and I don't think i ever will no matter how many times i am told.

Fixed it for you dear Gryphon66.

\:\/

#285418 - 11/23/07 11:35 PM No one cares. [Re: Gryphon66]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Your assumption is that the "bedrock" of a philosophy must be its metaphysics.

I discussed this assumption also made by Ayn Rand here.

Satanism revolves around its ethics - not its metaphysics nor even its epistemology.

This is a pragmatic religious philosophy - not an ivory tower armchair discussion group.

This is an engineering religion focused on what is useful rather than what is "truth".

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements