Topic Options
#285547 - 11/24/07 05:36 PM "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics
Dave_C Offline

Loc: North-East Wisconsin
I am aware of the CoS' stand on drug use as well as the compulsion of legal drugs (Tobacco and Alcohol). But what is the CoS' stand on those such as myself who are now clean and sober?

I have refrained from the use of all substances now for six years; I realized the stupidity of my actions and cleaned up!

1) The legality

2) Poisoning myself with chemicals

3) The use of drugs and overuse of alcohol was nothing more
then a slow suicide!

Where do folks such myself find themselves in this context?

Dave_C

http://www.myspace.com/dark9productions

#285548 - 11/24/07 05:42 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: Dave_C]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
If you feel you have improved your lot and have taken personal responsibility for your substance problems, as well as your recovery, then GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are few things more Satanic than honestly facing your faults and fixing them to your own satisfaction.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#285555 - 11/24/07 06:04 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: Dave_C]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: Dave_C

I have refrained from the use of all substances now for six years; I realized the stupidity of my actions and cleaned up!

Well done. Strive to keep it that way, and enjoy being able to live!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#285558 - 11/24/07 06:13 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: Phineas]
hellbent666 Offline
Banned

Loc: Colorado
Post deleted because...

1. It contained more personal history information than we really need to know.
2. Only Moderators and Members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to threads in this forum. All others will be deleted.

Edited by LKRice (11/24/07 07:16 PM)

#285562 - 11/24/07 07:00 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: hellbent666]
Dave_C Offline

Thank you Magistra Ygraine for answering my question so quickly, I appreciate it.

Thank you also Magister Phineas for the "Well done". And I am working to keep things as the are in that department. Some days are more of a battle than others, but I have accomplished to much to revert back to that filth.

I have come to respect both of your opinions and thoughts.

Thanks again!

Dave_C

#285563 - 11/24/07 07:16 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: hellbent666]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
just recently went to Prison for a possession of cocaine case for two years and boy I'm glad thats over with

I'm pretty sure that is too much info for this forum but definitely something to include should you ever fill out an Active application.

Quote:
I am wondering what y'all think about the 12 step recovery programs like Alcaholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonyomous and how to deal with the whole "god" aspect of recovery.

With or without a program the rate of relapse is the same. I am assuming there is no method that suits all people and part of the necessary personal responsibility would be knowing what works for you and using it.

That said, 12 step programs make me want to vomit. All of them. The very premise is irresponsible and, this is the only time I actually use this word, is utterly pussified!

It is not the fact that "God" is the higher power, it is the concept that ANY higher power can fix what you yourself broke that pisses me off. Somehow I can't see how telling people to let go is really a pro-active solution to a problem.

So, again, I say kudos to the person who voluntarily changes his life for the better because they want to!

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#285566 - 11/24/07 07:32 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: Dave_C]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I don't care for the "recovering" terminology, as though this should be a lifetime burden.

People make mistakes. If you corrected yours, then you're not recovering, you're fucking sober - and good work learning from your screw-ups. That's more than some folks do.

#285571 - 11/24/07 08:12 PM Re: "Recovering" Addicts and Alcoholics [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Dave_C Offline

Quote:
That said, 12 step programs make me want to vomit. All of them. The very premise is irresponsible and, this is the only time I actually use this word, is utterly pussified!

It is not the fact that "God" is the higher power, it is the concept that ANY higher power can fix what you yourself broke that pisses me off.

I know this was not directed at me but since it is my post...You are exactly right in that statement which is why I left NA and AA after about six months and did it on my own. Nearly all that I encountered in my brief attendance blamed the "disease" and not themselves; It made me sick!

Quote:
With or without a program the rate of relapse is the same.

Which if I remember correctly, one out of ten, make it a year; and of that one who does, one out of one-hundred make it five years with out relasping.

Dave_C

#285572 - 11/24/07 08:15 PM I agree. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Priest LeviathanXIII has it absolutely right in my opinion.

"Recovering" is the term used by the venerable 12-Step Program of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, etc.

They wish to assume that drinking or drug abuse is a "disease" and that there is no "cure".

Proactive approaches based on using one's willpower (such as Rational Recovery) have a demonstrated track record of success whereas the AA approaches seem to have none at all that is worth bothering with.

You quit drinking and it was a problem for you?

Good for you!

You get the full credit and the rewards that come with knowing how to deal with that issue.

You are not "diseased" or "incurable".

You are willful and wise.

Congratulations!

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406009 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements