Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#284370 - 11/19/07 09:06 AM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Max Faust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Max Faust

There is of course an antithesis to the "good guy badge" which is the "bad guy badge"

Interesting idea.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#284371 - 11/19/07 09:09 AM Re: A reply to a LttD user. [Re: Fala]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
 Quote:
Oh, please...don't be a meanie to me. I can't handle it!

Come closer. I need a hug now.

Don't worry Fala, I'll be gentle. ;\)

Attachments
Alienlove.jpg

"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#285234 - 11/23/07 01:02 AM Re: A reply to a LttD user. [Re: Danny Mc.]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

Yes, my eyes are black...but I'm not that pale.

#285242 - 11/23/07 03:13 AM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
 Originally Posted By: Max Faust
"bad guy badge"

Interesting idea.

Oh, I think that the psychological mechanisms behind that sort of thing are common enough, insofar that we will all have to live through that fragile age of illusions where we believe that taking on an identity will also bestow upon us the power of that image, sort of like a civilised-cultural version of paleolithic hunter magic. However, sooner or later we all have to realise that the only thing that really counts is what we actually DO, whereas "who we think we are" really is of little relevance except for perhaps to a handful of people who are playing the same game as us.

#285584 - 11/24/07 10:16 PM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Nemo]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Nemo
Then the person writes and writes and writes but finally explains that he really isn't ready to call himself a Satanist yet. [...] They are programmed by the internet culture to expect instant answers to any and all questions.

I think there's also the whole fear of labels in general. The mentality is that taking up a label means conforming to ideas that aren't one's own. I've never been comfortable with the "I'm my own religion" stance. In reality I think those types are just too afraid to commit to a principle for fear of making mistakes, and too uncreative, unorganized, or just plain unimaginative to adopt a system that works for themselves. Personally I like having some kind of framework that I can productively work with.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#285588 - 11/24/07 10:34 PM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Bill_M]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
To me, the "I'm my own religion" stance, or again, "I am a Buddhist, but I don't believe in this, this, or this" Are for people who either have not found the PROPER label for themselves, or in general, do not have their beliefs and philosophies in line. I can't hold any scorn for the ladder, as not everyone finds out who they really are, right away, or at all. Without going into the fact that this could be because of personal weakness (Which is likely the case) the bottom line is that these people are not ready to adopt anything as a label. They then succumb to the former stance, which is a group of people I cannot personally respect.

If you don't have a title, there is no use in following one that you do not believe in fully. Whether it be Satanist, Buddhist, Christian, Athiest, etc, etc.

#489488 - 05/20/13 05:28 PM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Nemo]
Margaret Offline

Hello
Hi all of you. Nemo. It isnt so easy just to make decision. If you entry- it can be no exit :-)
with respect
Margaret

Edited by Margaret (05/20/13 05:37 PM)

#489494 - 05/20/13 06:16 PM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Nemo]
Psichya Offline

Loc: Colorado
"They are simply not one of us."

I find them more entertaining than anything, though they are annoying.
They are very transparent but I use it to my advantage.
They make good company when I am lonely and are easy to control.
They find me very intriguing.
They imagine a greater existence, which I laugh at, but promote to them.
They spend their whole lives addicted to other people's opinions of themselves.
They are slaves to the television.
Overall, I laugh, and enjoy.
People suck.

Learning is only remembering what you already know.

Argue your limitations, and they are yours.

Birth is not the beginning, Death is not the end.

#489496 - 05/20/13 06:32 PM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Margaret]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Thanks for letting us know that...five and half years after the discussion ended. smile

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#489506 - 05/21/13 01:23 AM Re: Why they are afraid to accept the name. [Re: Bill_M]
niknat Offline

Loc: Australia
Yes, I think it is largely due to the fact that we are living in a "microwave" society now that expects everything to be delivered instantly. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), this has not yet extended to knowledge.

If there existed a chip to implant that gave you instant knowledge on a given subject, many in today's society would be lining up for their "instant fix".

Sadly, when someone asks a question, and the answer they seek involves reading they will run in the other direction. Reading requires too much effort. So at best they will just skim the article to get a very basic (and often incorrect gist) of the authors intent. Thinking they are now "well read" in the field they go out into the world as recently self-championed experts in the field.

These sort of people do more harm than good to the name of Satanism, however we will always have to deal with this sort of person. They are also often not the "stayers". They are looking for a cool label for themselves and identifying themselves as a "satanist" boosts their flaccid ego for a short time until the novelty (and lack of attention they were hoping to achieve) wears off. Then it will be onto the next "shock value" act they can involve themselves in to impress their friends.

Just my thoughts!

Hail Satan!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements