Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#286852 - 11/29/07 06:32 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
 Quote:
Modern Satanism is what has been pioneered by Anton Szandor LaVey. Am I incorrect in this? There are many types of Satanism both current and old. Luciferian, Theistic, LaVeyan, am I missing any?

This is a question that should be asked in the questions forum. . I suggest you do further research and read this.
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#286853 - 11/29/07 06:34 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
You are missing the fact that there is only ONE kind of Satanism, and it is the religion configured by LaVey (who was the first to do so, and therefor also the last).

By the way,
Just out of curiosity:
What is the idea behind your avatar?

#286857 - 11/29/07 06:36 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

There wasn't any Satanism prior to Dr. LaVey and the COS. Just devil worship groups and pseudo-satanic groups.

There is no such thing as theistic, luciferian or what have you Satanism. There is Satanism, as codified by Dr. LaVey and exemplified by the COS, and devil worshippers and pseudo-satanic groups, and a host of pathetic immitators that try in vain to copy what the COS is.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#286870 - 11/29/07 07:01 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: Phineas]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
That pesky stratification strikes again. ;\)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#286872 - 11/29/07 07:05 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: Phineas]
hellbent666 Offline
Banned

Loc: Colorado
Agreed but I would be a retard to say that Satanism hasn't existed before LaVey in some form or another. Even the Yezedi's are older then our chosen type of Satanism. When I'm asked or choose to talk about it I only refer to the teachings of LaVey I don't reference back to devil-worshiphers or sects of Satanism like the temple of set. There is only one modern one but the roots are a lot older than many would think. It's like saying the only form of Christianity is non-denominational, that there are no baptists, lutherans, or nazerene. Same kinda thing. Only one is the right path, but others do exist.

#286874 - 11/29/07 07:10 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
That is incorrect.

Satanism was first established as a religion by Anton LaVey.

There is no other Satanism, and there never has been (and never will be.)

#286880 - 11/29/07 07:23 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
It boggles my mind that you have knowledgeable people giving it to you straight yet you just keep pushing back with more nonsense.

Unbelievable.

#286882 - 11/29/07 07:25 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Modern Satanism is what has been pioneered by Anton Szandor LaVey. Am I incorrect in this?

Quite.

Anton LaVey codified Satanism, period. Before he did so, there was no codified religion which it's adherents referred to as Satanism.

When you see people putting "qualifier" terms in front of the word Satanism, you can generally be assured that what they're talking about bears little resemblance to the religion Anton LaVey founded.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#286886 - 11/29/07 07:48 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
This issue comes up quite often. The answer is always the same, because it is true. Anton LaVey codified Satanism. The Church of Satan is the only organization that can truthfully use that name. The issue of whether there were people before then who would have been called Satanists had they lived after the establishment of the Church is separate. To point out that individual ideas may be shared by other groups is not significant to the question. The reason I am repeating what others have said is to add weight to the fact that this is not an issue we disagree on. The only people who will discuss groups that are not Satanists as different flavors of Satanism are people who are not Satanists.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#286887 - 11/29/07 07:49 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: Virus9]
hellbent666 Offline
Banned

Loc: Colorado
Well that clarifies everything. I do intend to become a member as soon as I have the 200 bucks for membership fees and I also intend to pursue a position amongst you. I'm not trying to argue what y'all are telling me but just merely trying to explain it from other peoples perspectives. I think that there is only one true form of Satanism but that doesn't mean that others don't hold different opinions. They might not be federally accepted "religions" (with the exception of the Temple of Set) but other opinions are around. I'm not one of those people that think they have the whole market cornered. I know what fits and works for me but that doesn't mean that it works the same for other people. My mom oredered me this book that's titled "The Satanic Bible" but it's written by some kid obsessed with vampires and necrophilia and before you even open the book it says that he is anti LaVeyan! I was like well this book is totally gonna piss me off. I don't believe in any theistic off-shoots of LaVey, I think he should get the credit he's due. I don't lend credibility to any of these spin offs but they do exist is all I'm saying.

#286889 - 11/29/07 07:55 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: hellbent666]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Okay, but what is even the point of acknowledging them at all?

#286890 - 11/29/07 07:56 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
different flavors of Satanism

I prefer my Satanism to be spicy and well aged, like a fine cheddar. However, some people might prefer their Satanism sweet or savory, but that's just pretentious. This is serious stuff, I'm sure you can appreciate the difference, Roho. ;\)

#286891 - 11/29/07 07:58 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: RaSc]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Satanism goes well with a fine Shiraz.

#286892 - 11/29/07 07:59 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: TheDegenerate]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
Or Port, if you swing that way.

#286893 - 11/29/07 08:03 PM Re: Missionaries [Re: RaSc]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Prefer the ruggedness of a strong spiced mead.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43831 Topics
405237 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements