Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285900 - 11/26/07 02:36 AM The Philosophy of Satanism
Zulban Offline

Loc: Canada
For some background information I consider myself an agnostic with strong values. I also know that Satanism isn't what it is in movies.

I have a few questions regarding Satanism, seeing as I can't see how it is best for the world, or even the individual. By that I mean I can't see how Satanism is the best way to achieve personal enjoyment in this life, which is what I understand the philosophy/religion stands for; individual worship and success.

It is easier to destroy than it is to create; I hope we can all agree on that.
So when anyone believes in Satanism, isn't there a fantastic chance that they will view themselves as stronger in some certain field. Being stronger and better seems to give the right to stand on top of others:
(This is presented as a goal)
"There would be a concommitant reduction in the world’s population as the weak are allowed to experience the consequences of social Darwinism."
To me this represents a huge clash of interests. I have been reading allot of the http://www.churchofsatan.com site and the issue of "other groups" constantly comes up. "Other groups" don’t necessarily believe in more common Satanism. Just like in any religion, how can you expect to spread Satanism, without creating groups that strongly differ in opinion, and ultimately destroying more than you are creating?
How do we define weakness in this context? Will people who are weak in some fields and strong in others (if they have a nuclear bomb), will these people succumb to their weakness without a fight? There is a possibility that much strong life and beauty would be lost in a scenario like this.

So really what I worry about, is that Satanism may function as a small movement for the individuals, but if it were worldwide there would be at least, very challenging problems.

If there is something I am missing that patches this hole I'm seeing, please tell me!

-Thanks
(Am I aloud to reply on this thread, since I started it?)

Edited by Zulban (11/26/07 02:39 AM)

#285904 - 11/26/07 03:10 AM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Yes, you're allowed to reply to your own threads here, but you should post an introduction first (in the proper forum).
Prevention of Virtue

#285922 - 11/26/07 08:06 AM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
What you are missing is that Satanism is NOT intended for the masses. We have no desire or intention for everyone to be Satanists. Real Satanists are few and far between. Satanism is not, and was never intended to be a mass movement. It is for the few, NOT the many.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#286011 - 11/26/07 04:22 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Saúl Offline

Loc: México, Acapulco, Gro.
Please note that only Moderators and Members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to threads in this forum. All other replies will be deleted.

Edited by LKRice (11/26/07 07:03 PM)

"Desolated and isolated I walk through a valley of living dead, darkness is my only guide where light just seems to blind the long way home"

#286019 - 11/26/07 04:59 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Saúl]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Please read and acknowledge THIS.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#286039 - 11/26/07 05:57 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Zulban Offline

Originally Posted By: Svengali
What you are missing is that Satanism is NOT intended for the masses. We have no desire or intention for everyone to be Satanists. Real Satanists are few and far between. Satanism is not, and was never intended to be a mass movement. It is for the few, NOT the many.

Is there a reason why everyone can't be a Satanist?

#286043 - 11/26/07 06:22 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Originally Posted By: Zulban
Is there a reason why everyone can't be a Satanist?

Most don't want to be.

Most couldn't if they wanted to.

They either don't agree with the philosophy, entirely or in part, or just temperamentally are not with the program.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini

#286053 - 11/26/07 06:54 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Zulban Offline

Ok, but if everyone in the world were a satanist, would the world still function?

#286059 - 11/26/07 07:00 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Ok, but if everyone in the world were a satanist, would the world still function?

This is an idle and meaningless question, but YES, the world would still function. Satanism is a philosophy of RATIONAL SELF-INTEREST and it is in most people's RATIONAL SELF-INTEREST to collaborate on the survival necessities of life regardless of less important differences.

#286073 - 11/26/07 08:00 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Zulban Offline

So if the whole world being Satanists would function, how would we decide who is superior? It's clear that not everyone can be superior, an accompanying inferior is required. With this sort of mentally, I can't see how the world wouldn't rift and damage itself on disagreement of who is superior. This feels like the classic problem of any religion, where the self interest of the religion (or in this case, individuals) actually causes strife that damages the individuals looking out for themselves in the first place.
This was not a pointless question. Now we see we disagree on not Satanism, but this more specific question. I say the world would not function, people, including self worshipping Satanists, would be negatively affected by the fact that the weak can deal real damage to the strong. Just checkout my signature below.

#286079 - 11/26/07 08:33 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Look around you - is everyone EQUAL?

Do some people do some things better than others?

Why would a world populated exclusively by Satanists be any different?

Some people are good at some things, some at others.

I suggest you worry less about religion until you have spent more time with a basic logic textbook.

#286085 - 11/26/07 08:46 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Zulban Offline

Svengali:
"Look around you - is everyone EQUAL?" No (I agree)
"Do some people do some things better than others?" Yes (I agree)
"Why would a world populated exclusively by Satanists be any different?" (This is YOU, asking a question. You failed to understand why I think this, because you failed to address why I think this in any way)
"Some people are good at some things, some at others." Yes (I agree)

"I suggest you worry less about religion until you have spent more time with a basic logic textbook."

I have agreed with everything you just said. I never disagreed with any of this in my posts. You need to read a basic textbook on reading comprehension.

Lets not start the petty remarks. Please point out how my 'logic' is flawed, dont simply state it is flawed and then dust your hands off.

#286087 - 11/26/07 08:51 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Why do you think this? Because a dumb person can kill a smart person? Maybe a smart person would not give them the chance.

Make your argument more explicit.

You don't see how the world would not rift over who is superior? Read what I said about rational self interest.

#286089 - 11/26/07 08:55 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Rational Self Interest: What is more important, survival or feeling superior?

Hypothetically just say I may be generally superior to the person who repairs my car. I'm generally smarter, better read, and probably have a wider range of general skills than he does, but I want my car fixed, so in that context I am content to acknowledge his superiority.

The same thing may go for a dentist, or a plumber, or a doctor.

#286090 - 11/26/07 08:57 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Zulban Offline

Here you are assuming two things:
That everyone in the world is rational (tell me if you think everyone is rational)
That everyone in the world, who is inferior, will accept the fact that they are inferior without a fight. They will also accept your definition of what makes someone superior. (tell me if you think the inferior will accept their position)

Dumb, weak people can cause damage to strong, smart people. (tell me if you think this is wrong)

#286095 - 11/26/07 09:14 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Here you are assuming two things:
That everyone in the world is rational (tell me if you think everyone is rational)
That everyone in the world, who is inferior, will accept the fact that they are inferior without a fight. They will also accept your definition of what makes someone superior. (tell me if you think the inferior will accept their position)

Dumb, weak people can cause damage to strong, smart people. (tell me if you think this is wrong)

If strong smart people are victimized by weak dumb people they must not have been that strong or smart.

All of that is true now - what makes you think anything would be better or worse if everyone were hypothetically Satanists?

Assuming they are actual Satanists, they would be free of SOME of irrational baggage that retards most people.

It is a fantasy scenario anyway so what is the point?

What exactly are you trying to figure out or what point are you trying to make?

#286105 - 11/26/07 10:43 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Svengali]
Zulban Offline

It is very, very easy for weak dumb people to devote their lives to obtaining something to deal damage. Weapons that were say created by smart people. The threat of the nuclear bomb is a perfect example. Answer this in your next reply: Can a weak dumb person obtain a nuclear warhead?

My point is that shit happens and being smart and strong is not enough to protect you from the stupid and wreckless chaos in the world.

I believe things would hypothetically be worse if everyone were satanists because people would define "strength" and "superiority" to conform to their own unique strengths. Someone who is weak and dumb to you is superior to themselves, because people are (or at least can be) selfish.

I may have missed something, did you say that the inferior will accept their less extravagant lives and serve the superior?

The point of this is to maybe understand that Satanist movements function best when they are a minority. If I can do that we can move on to a final thought so we can lay down what we both really think. (semantics are dangerous and I try to get them out of the way)

#286108 - 11/26/07 11:14 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

I want the five minutes I've wasted on this idiotic exchange back.

#286112 - 11/26/07 11:38 PM Nonsense. [Re: Zulban]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
 Quote:
My point is that shit happens and being smart and strong is not enough to protect you from the stupid and wreckless chaos in the world.

This is not a forum for "points".

This is a forum for questions about the Church of Satan.

You have come here all in a lather over hypothetical worlds that do not exist and then worry about being "protected"?

There is no "protection".

You are doomed.

It isn't my fault.

It is just the nature of reality.

Now go away and bother someone who actually cares.

#286121 - 11/27/07 12:19 AM Farewell [Re: Nemo]
Zulban Offline

Well thanks Svengali for the talk. I can hope that you dont really feel it was a waste of time.

I can bet this site gets pelted with piles of shit from extremists from opposite groups, but it would be nice if there were a thread section devoted entirely to debating Satanism if anyone actually cared to go there. Ignore it if you wanted sorta thing. But I guess that wont happen...

I dont know what you meant by "protection", Nemo.
If nobody cared, this thread would have been deleted ages ago.

Edited by Zulban (11/27/07 12:20 AM)

#286137 - 11/27/07 05:52 AM Re: Farewell [Re: Zulban]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

It really was a waste of time.

#286231 - 11/27/07 12:35 PM Re: The Philosophy of Satanism [Re: Zulban]
Magister_Harris Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Long Island
It is a pointless question. Asking any question that starts with "If everyone in the world was a Satanist..." is like asking "If the world were flat..." It's silly to consider it because it's something that cannot and will not ever happen.
Host - Hate Speech Radio
http://www.hatespeechradio.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements