Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#286413 - 11/28/07 07:54 AM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Moon Shadow]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I think that what differentiates someone from being a spectator and being a Satanist is that a Satanist will look at their own experiences and see the principles of Satanism at work. Dr. LaVey was not only the founder of the Church of Satan; he was also a Satanist. None of our lives will be identical, point-by-point.

By that, I mean that the life of every Satanist will reflect ALL of the tenants of Satanism. It is not the fact that Dr. LaVey was a lion tamer, an organ player and a criminal photographer that made him a Satanist. It was the fact that Dr. LaVey stratified himself, placed his own ego as his god and based his interactions with others on merit alone that made Dr. LaVey a Satanist. His style was his own. Satanism is not a copycat religion. No one will say, “Take up your Baphomet and follow me”. Every Satanist will experience the tenants of the Church of Satan in his or her own way. What you will not find is a group of people modeling their lives after another. That is faking it. Make sense?

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#286454 - 11/28/07 11:42 AM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Phineas]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
 Originally Posted By: Phineas
Stratification is seen in all of us. Like some of the others have said, it is a natural process, It's a matter of being honest with yourself, and true to your nature.

Water will seek its level without struggling. ;\)

That makes sense: be honest with myself and true to my nature. Good advice, thanks! I'll write that down somewhere and when I feel any sense of struggle within myself I'll just ask myself what is right for me. It's nice to be your own God. Thanks for the advice, Majic and Phineas.

Okay: social stratification (check)
Next task: potty training (No, not ME!)
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#286471 - 11/28/07 01:15 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
By that, I mean that the life of every Satanist will reflect ALL of the tenants of Satanism.

Again these tenants of Satanism keep cropping up - are they not paying their rent or something?

Bonnie - as Phineas says stratification happens naturally, it's not just about having a rank, it's also having a place in society. Most people stratify themselves unconsciously, whether it be laziness that keeps them at the bottom or ambition that propels them to the top.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#286539 - 11/28/07 05:10 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Scion]
RottenBonnie Offline

Originally Posted By: Scion
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
By that, I mean that the life of every Satanist will reflect ALL of the tenants of Satanism.

Again these tenants of Satanism keep cropping up - are they not paying their rent or something?

If these Tenants of Satanism aren't paying their rent I am sure they will be evicted. You have to be responsible when it comes to Satanism, otherwise: *finger drawn across the neck*

Hail Satan! (and your tenants too)
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

#286542 - 11/28/07 05:15 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: RottenBonnie]
RottenBonnie Offline

Sorry, Roho, I couldn't resist the urge to tease you. Tenets of Satanism. Tenants are renters.

Hail the Rooster!

#286547 - 11/28/07 05:34 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: RottenBonnie]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: RottenBonnie
Sorry, Roho, I couldn't resist the urge to tease you. Tenets of Satanism. Tenants are renters.

Hail the Rooster!

Tenets with an "e"...no wonder I couldn't find it.

Do not tell anyone!

#286551 - 11/28/07 05:48 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Moon Shadow Offline

Loc: ohio
Because other Satanists have different life experiences can The Church of Satan be truly embraced, with ALL it's tennants, by other Satanists?

Folks, I swear, next time I ask a question, I'll use a dictionary!

Moon Shadow

#286559 - 11/28/07 06:04 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Moon Shadow]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Moon Shadow

Folks, I swear, next time I ask a question, I'll use a dictionary!

Moon Shadow

Too late...I have egg on my face, too, now!

#286605 - 11/28/07 09:07 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Moon Shadow]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Moon Shadow
His personal experiences are what he's based the Satanist Religion upon. Because other Satanists have different life experiences can The Church of Satan be truly embraced, with ALL it's tennants [sic], by other Satanists?

This is like asking if people can understand Newton's three Laws of Motion without having an apple fall on their heads or working out all of the calculus. The obvious answer is yes.

Just LOOK for example at the links section of Churchofsatan.com. You'll see one example after another of people who have gone through their own sets of life experiences yet can all honestly call themselves Satanists. And these are just the people who have a website for what they do, let alone decided to submit it to Churchofsatan.com, not to mention are open about being Satanists in the firsts place!

Satanists have no problem embracing Satanism. Different Satanists may resonate more with some parts than others, but I don't see what LaVey's personal experiences have to do with accepting only 6 of the 9 statements, for example. If there's any arguing, it's pretty much over the APPLICATION of the principles (something I once said in an article which somebody then later plagiarized, but I digress).

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#286651 - 11/29/07 01:30 AM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: RottenBonnie]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: RottenBonnie
If these Tenants of Satanism aren't paying their rent I am sure they will be evicted. You have to be responsible when it comes to Satanism, otherwise: *finger drawn across the neck*

Hail Satan! (and your tenants too)

Well the rent can't be much, since the apartments must be very small, since the Church of Satan has to be small enough for us to embrace

But seriously - if Anton LaVey had felt that he had discovered something unique to his own life, why write a bible and start a religion based on it?

#286797 - 11/29/07 04:19 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: verszou]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
Quite Verszou, indeed it was LaVey's conviction that Satanism was so fundamentally obvious that he said himself "If I didn't write this book, someone else (probably less qualified) would". It seemed that in his view Satanism already existed and was expressed (in that Satanists have always have existed), he just codified it as a religion and philosophy. He clearly didn't feel it was unique to him, indeed he obviously felt that what he was represented a streak that ran clearly through humanity.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#286854 - 11/29/07 06:34 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Scion]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
 Originally Posted By: Scion
Quite Verszou, indeed it was LaVey's conviction that Satanism was so fundamentally obvious that he said himself "If I didn't write this book, someone else (probably less qualified) would". It seemed that in his view Satanism already existed and was expressed (in that Satanists have always have existed), he just codified it as a religion and philosophy. He clearly didn't feel it was unique to him, indeed he obviously felt that what he was represented a streak that ran clearly through humanity.

This is an unquestionable truth, perhaps some people will think I´m wrong but for me LaVey didn´t create anything ex nihilo but systematized and organizated something that has existed since the very beginning of humanity. In fact, I see not a coincidence but a
sincronicity between LaVey´s "The Bible of Satan" and Evola´s "Ride the Tiger", someone who rides the tiger and a satanist are too similar to be just a mere coincidence.

Edited by Taubmann (11/29/07 06:35 PM)

Kierkegaard

#286868 - 11/29/07 06:59 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Taubmann]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
 Quote:
"The Bible of Satan"

Dr. LaVey never penned a book by that title.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#286876 - 11/29/07 07:13 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Poetaster]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
Sorry for literally translating it from spanish, as that was the name of the only spanish, and horrible, translation of the book I´ve seen.
The Satanic Bible.

Kierkegaard

#286879 - 11/29/07 07:22 PM Re: LaVey's life experience and Satanism [Re: Taubmann]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
No apology necessary.

Your English is really quite good, so I didn't realize that you weren't a native speaker. \:\)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements