Topic Options
#286695 - 11/29/07 08:30 AM Public monument to Satan
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
As far as I know itīs the only public monument to Satan. Itīs called "El Angel Caido" (The fallen Angel)and itīs located in Madrid, Spain. It was built during the XIXth century by Ricardo Bellver and payed by Fernan Nuņez a member of spaniard nobility.

Here you can see the statue:
http://personal.auna.com/arte_inedito/Cosas/Pedro_Alhambra-Angel_CaidoII.jpg

A view of its location:
http://personal.auna.com/arte_inedito/Cosas/Pedro_Alhambra-Angel_Caido.jpg

And here you have a map to find it:
http://www.tagzania.com/item/16258

Kierkegaard

#286791 - 11/29/07 04:12 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Taubmann]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
It doesn't look much like Satan - he doesn't even have any horns! ;\)

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#286979 - 11/30/07 12:02 AM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Scion]
VictorWolf Offline
CoS Member

Its Satan as a fallen angel, not as a Devil with horn and hoof.

More for the folks that enjoyed the images in Paradise Lost, I guess. Still, interesting.

#287093 - 11/30/07 01:05 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: VictorWolf]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Seeing as though the whole fallen angel bit doesn't really apply to the archetypal Satan I enjoy, I don't get it. Why would an image of a "fallen" be interesting? I prefer to think that Satan ascended to his own kind of godhood by defying his master. He ruled in hell rather than served in heaven. A glorius triumph. Why anyone would embrace Satan's metaphorically weak time of servitude in his existance is beyond me.

I must stress this is all playing "the devil's advocate" and using the references in a mythologial stance. much like someone would discuss Thor's adventures in Marvel comics.

#287103 - 11/30/07 01:37 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Adveser]
Kallista Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
One of my co-workers has his entire right bicep tattooed in greyscale a picture of Archangel Michael sending Lucifer to hell. Michael is stepping on Lucifers throat with a sword to him. I told him not to get the tattoo. He never listens to me.

#287105 - 11/30/07 01:38 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Kallista]
Kallista Offline

Also, I think the "horned half goat man" Satan is from the Greek God Pan.

#287111 - 11/30/07 02:00 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Kallista]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Kallista
Also, I think the "horned half goat man" Satan is from the Greek God Pan.

Yes, many of the early versions of Satan were based on deities from competing religions. Christianity being sort of the Microsoft of the time did some great PR in making the other gods look like bad guys, then they put their own religious holidays on top of those of the gods they had displaced \:\)

The notion of Satan as the fallen angel, sort of a romantic anti hero came much later, at the time when advances in science were beginning to make shake the foundations of the church a bit.

#287112 - 11/30/07 02:15 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: verszou]
Kallista Offline

Chritmas or Winter Solstice? LOL. Either way, it looks like they are having fun....

#287122 - 11/30/07 03:41 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Adveser]
Lust Offline

Quote:
Seeing as though the whole fallen angel bit doesn't really apply to the archetypal Satan I enjoy, I don't get it. Why would an image of a "fallen" be interesting?

Here is what I see.

Lucifer, Crown Prince of Hell!

The piece represents liberty, pride, wisdom, etc... very much the archetype.

To me, Lucifer, is more important, and even more interesting in Christian mythology than Gods role.

The statue is beautiful, but I think this thread should have been posted in the Art section.

HS!
ïŋ―Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.ïŋ―
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#287138 - 11/30/07 04:39 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Taubmann]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I think it's a very good representation of Satan (or at least the mythological concept of Satan)

The pose and expression is one of defiance, like he is looking up and shouting a curse at his creator.

Do you have any more information about this monument? Is there any inscription on it?

#287150 - 11/30/07 05:11 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Old_Pig]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
I was divided about wich section this topic belonged to, but as I find more valuable itīs cultural and historical interest for satanists than itīs artistic value I decided to post it here.

Tha Pig, no, there isnīt really too much information available about it, it won the first prize on a Beauty Arts National Exposition and was exhibited at the Paris Universal Expo (1889). The place where itīs located used to be a meeting point for devil worshippers and occultists during the 40s and 50s.

Kierkegaard

#287165 - 11/30/07 05:53 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Lust]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Yes, that is what I mean. I consider Lucifer a servant of Jehovah, only until he was cast out for his radical ideas we all accept as a great basis for an archetype and became Satan, The Devil, The Accuser and The Adversary do I personally think he transformed into the character I see as a model for the personalification of Freedom, Justice and Indulgence.

#287554 - 12/02/07 10:55 PM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: verszou]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
Christianity being sort of the Microsoft of the time

Great line!

Funny how I was thinking the same thing earlier this evening, but in reverse.

But that just the evil Mac freak me talking.

#287592 - 12/03/07 06:31 AM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Old_Pig]
Brotus_Heimdal Offline

Loc: Danmark
Great statue of the light bringer.

It would be nice to see a goat-devil statue, but this is still brilliant.

#287608 - 12/03/07 08:27 AM Re: Public monument to Satan [Re: Taubmann]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
When you look at the period of time this statue was cast, and the story from which it was inspired, the postured expression seems very fitting. Personally, I like it very much. It is easy to see the influence of classic sculpture here. There is the celebration of the human form, perhaps adding to the rebellion against the spiritual.

Thanks for posting.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements