Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#292119 - 12/20/07 01:40 PM Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play
Storm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: West Valley, UT, USA
I can't say I was necessarily surprised to read this. Leave it to the sheeple to prove that movies, television, and video games actually can influence their "real lives".

Associated Press *Source

Teens Charged in 'Mortal Kombat' Death
14 hours ago

JOHNSTOWN, Colo. (AP) ó Two teens have been charged with killing the 7-year-old sister of one of them by beating her with imitations of moves from the "Mortal Kombat" video game, prosecutors said.

Lamar Roberts, 17, and Heather Trujillo, 16, were charged as adults on one count each of felony child abuse causing death, state prosecutor Robert Miller said in court documents released Wednesday and filed a day earlier.

According to a police affidavit, the teens were baby-sitting Trujillo's half-sister, Zoe Garcia, on Dec. 6 while the girl's mother was at work. Zoe lost consciousness and stopped breathing after the teens hit, kicked and body-slammed her, imitating moves used in the video game, the document said.

Trujillo and Roberts tried reviving the girl by putting her under running water and attempting CPR before they called her mother and 911, the affidavits stated. The girl died at a hospital.

An autopsy showed she had a broken wrist, more than 20 bruises, swelling of the brain, and bleeding in her neck muscles and under her spine, the affidavits said.

There were no listed phone numbers in the Weld County directory for either Roberts' mother, Linda Clark, or Trujillo's, Dana Trujillo. Sheriff's spokeswoman Margie Martinez said late Wednesday that she did not know whether either teen had an attorney. The teens were being held at the Weld County jail but were not permitted to accept phone calls, Martinez said.

Roberts said he was downstairs playing video games while the sisters wrestled upstairs, police said. But a witness quoted in the affidavit said Roberts told her he had kicked the girl.

The witness told police that Roberts said Zoe had told them to stop wrestling. According to the affidavit, when the witness asked why they didn't stop, he responded, "I don't know; I was drunk."

If convicted, the teens could be sentenced to 48 years in prison.

"When Hell is Full of Souls, The Tattooed Will Walk the Earth."
~Bob Tyrrell, The Night Gallery Tattoo

Facebook: facebook.com/artonyoustudios

#292123 - 12/20/07 01:58 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Video games have nothing to do with it.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9710

These kids were pricks with or without the games.

#292124 - 12/20/07 02:01 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
It's been awhile since I've heard "Mortal Kombat" used as a scapegoat. Seems like the "Grand Theft Auto" games have received most of the recent blame over the past few years.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#292127 - 12/20/07 02:10 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: JustinR]
VitalMcCorkle Offline

Quote:
hit, kicked and body-slammed

Sounds like some old fashioned wrastlin' to me!

Quote:
Lamar, Trujillo, Garcia

Parents gone, no listed phone number, babysitter drunk... sounds more like a cultural, and thus environmental, issue to me. It would be politically incorrect to approach as such, so let's blame it on a game.

Misdirection of blame. Blame in general. The bane of our society.

#292142 - 12/20/07 03:52 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Regardless of the "reason", there is no excuse for that sort of behavior. I hope they serve every one of those 48 years.

#292153 - 12/20/07 04:20 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
My take. Most people on this world is insane(99.9%). Just protect your own mental health, kick back and enjoy the show( use the crazy fuckers for your own gain)!
"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#292159 - 12/20/07 04:30 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: JustinR]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yeah, when I first heard this, I checked the date to make sure I hadn't time-traveled back to the 90s.

It strikes me that this is quite similar to when that kid claimed he killed his sister (?) using a wrestling move. Kids tend to be surprisingly shrewd when it comes to trying to avoid responsibility, and adults all-too-often play into their hands.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#292165 - 12/20/07 05:52 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: TrojZyr]
VitalMcCorkle Offline

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
Kids tend to be surprisingly shrewd when it comes to trying to avoid responsibility, and adults all-too-often play into their hands.

Very well put. I agree with this statement.

#292176 - 12/20/07 06:40 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Valek]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
 Originally Posted By: Valek
Regardless of the "reason", there is no excuse for that sort of behavior. I hope they serve every one of those 48 years.

I second that. This was socially unacceptable behavior at its finest. Now, excuse me. I must go upstairs and tell my 17 year old son not to beat his younger brothers to death; he is an avid video game player. Oh, and not to be drunk while babysitting. Bad move. Sounds like bad parenting (of the teenagers and the child that was killed) might be at the root of this problem.

Bonnie
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#292177 - 12/20/07 06:42 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: VitalMcCorkle]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden

The finger is mine.

#292200 - 12/20/07 07:50 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

Most of the world's newspapers are written on a 5th grade level. Rather than say "Bad parenting caused teens to murder" it gets more looks when the headline reads "T.V. causes deaths". As a student of psychology I am aware of Albert Bandura's research into observational behavior. It is his work that people will refer to and they will jump the gap and say-"T.V causes it". You can't blame the TV for bad behavior anymore than you blame shoddy carpentry on a hammer. I grew up watching Tom & Jerry and in my teens I watched all of the slasher films-I never felt the need to drop an anvil on someone's head nor run someone through with a chainsaw. My parents explained to me that TV was not real and that if I were to copy things that weren't acceptable that there would consequences.
Bad parenting=Bad Behavior

#292206 - 12/20/07 08:35 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I just read this news story very carefully. I do not see where they blamed the video games for the behavior. The prosecutor said that they used moves that they saw in the video game. The prosecutor was not using that as a defense; nor, was he laying blame on the video game. He blamed the teenagers, and I can only assume that the prosecutor, who mentioned the video game, is going for the whole enchilada. Of course, that doesn’t mean others won’t make that connection.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#292214 - 12/20/07 09:50 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: DickSteele]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
 Originally Posted By: DickSteele
Bad parenting=Bad Behavior

I agree, but only to a point. In this case the culprits are 16 and 17 years old. Despite the fact that their parenting was probably questionable, they are nearly adults and should be in the stage of learning to make adult decisions (good parenting helps toward this, but there are other avenues such as school and peers). I would give this a 75% personal responsibility 25% parental responsibility equation. I mean, however bad their parents may have been it is unlikely that they beat someone to death in front of them and called that a good decision.

I think the parents of the girl who was killed are also to blame, not for the homicide, but for putting their daughter in such questionable care. Negligent homicide or something like that.
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#292218 - 12/20/07 10:21 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: RottenBonnie]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Just to add an addendum to this response, I find it disgusting when people are so quick to lay blame solely upon the parents. Great parents can have children that turn out to be monsters, just as terrible parents can have children that are plain ol' Saints. I think this mentality stems from the PC culture that covers society like some sickly fog, and it has a lot to do with being afraid to call a spade a spade. Some kids are just fucked up, with or without proper parenting.

We certainly don't know enough about this story to automatically assume that the parents are worthless scum who bred a shit for brains teenager. Responsibility to the fucking responsible, not blame placed on the absent. Where is the line in the sand that simply can't be crossed; that says eventually, mommy and daddy can't be crucified for the asshole that shoots up the local bank? When is a moron just a moron? These are the kind of questions that people need to start asking themselves, instead of speculating on how many fucking hugs these pieces of shit got.

The buck has to stop with the individual at some point.

Edited by Poetaster (12/21/07 06:52 PM)
Edit Reason: After some more thought, I'm not in 100% agreement.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#292219 - 12/20/07 10:26 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: DickSteele]
Storm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: West Valley, UT, USA
I agree that there are always groups searching for scapegoats for society's "problem children". I definately don't blame "Mortal Kombat". I played that game quite a bit in college and never thought it could influence kids toward violence anymore than Mary Shelley influenced anyone to actually raise the dead. Thus I say leave it to the Sheeple to promote these sorts of ideas.

I also agree that these pieces of shit should most certainly be tried as adults and serve maximum sentences. However, I believe more than the bad parents - it's also bad peers. It seems that "Generation Y" is filled with this overinflated "fuck you" attitude and they are justifying their out-of-control actions with ridiculous statements such as, "I do it 'cause I can and nunyas gonna do shit 'bout it". Whatever happened to the attitudes of yore? I have a serious appreciation for the past ideals that my parents (Baby Boomers) were raised on.

"When Hell is Full of Souls, The Tattooed Will Walk the Earth."
~Bob Tyrrell, The Night Gallery Tattoo

Facebook: facebook.com/artonyoustudios

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12196 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
405999 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements