Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#293003 - 12/24/07 11:16 AM Re: What kind of retards were those two? [Re: Adversaryan]
Adversaryan Offline
Banned

Loc: Seattle WA
I am going to go ahead and indulge myself in complimenting your beauty btw. You make the world a better place to gaze oppon =)

#293004 - 12/24/07 11:28 AM Re: What kind of retards were those two? [Re: Adversaryan]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
 Quote:
Thats just how it works.

That's not how it works. Your comment is undeniably spacious, lacks perspective and completely ignores reality. Continue making such categorical assertions, and it will probably guarantee that nobody takes you seriously.

You can start by researching Dr. Norman E. Hoffman, however, spending ten minutes on Google alone will net you enough information to keep you busy for a long time. Solipsism is a nasty disease, but the cure is readily available, and it's right at your fingertips.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#293044 - 12/24/07 04:57 PM Re: What kind of retards were those two? [Re: Adversaryan]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: Adversaryan
I am going to go ahead and indulge myself in complimenting your beauty btw. You make the world a better place to gaze oppon =)

Won't be the first, won't be the last.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#293061 - 12/24/07 06:04 PM Re: What kind of retards were those two? [Re: Bruja]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
 Originally Posted By: Bruja
 Quote:
I have never met any great parents with fucked up kids. I don't care how much you like them as people. Fucked up parents have fucked up kids.

I'm quite sure I'm not the only one that would argue these statements. But hey, as long as it's been your life experience, it must be true.

You certainly are not the only one who would argue such a statement.

There have been Nobel Prize winners, and great inventors that have come from less than humble backgrounds with.....less than savory parents.

My own Mother who I have severed ties with completely was a horrid parent and yet, I do not repeat the mistakes that she has made in her life.

If anything, I have learned from 'her' mistakes.

It is also important to ask the question:

"What is a horrible/F'd up parent"?

What is the definition of that term?

I am sure it varies.

To some it could be......I did not get the toy I wanted on My Birthday....

To others? I got kicked and locked in a closet.

Not every child's actions are an end result of their upbringing.

I am reminded of the comedy of Chris Rock where he mentions....

"Whatever happened to 'just plain crazy?'.

Some folks are simply that. Crazy.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#293086 - 12/24/07 08:29 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
Sideshowtuper Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NY, USA
What a bunch of crap, I have been watching gruesome horror movies since I was old enough to turn on the television. I have been an avid player of the "Mortal Kombat" series since I was 10.

I'm soon to be 26 and haven't had any voilent episodes.

Are we the only sane people left?

Sideshow Tuper on Undercroft

13 Moons Occult Supplies

#293088 - 12/24/07 08:40 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
"Don't you blame the movies, Sid! Movies don't create psychos. Movies just make psychos more creative!" ~Scream
 Quote:
Are we the only sane people left?

Yup. I did/do the same (watch alot of gruesome horror movies) and I'm perfectly normal.

Seriously though, this is a great angle for a defense lawyer (the weird Videodrome-"The Game Made Me Do It" thing). I'm sure juries eat this shit up.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#293105 - 12/24/07 10:26 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Sideshowtuper]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I absolutely agree. I watched monster movies when I was a kid. They were not as graphic as movies are now; but, I always read books that were meant for an older audience. I read The Exorcist in grade school, and the one teacher thought I was terrible for it. I have yet to be possessed. I read all manner of violent material without turning into a killer. I was constantly caught with adult magazines while growing up. I did not turn out to be a pervert. Hell…I even read Cracked, Mad and Sick magazines religiously, and, as far as I can tell, I never turned into a moron. If you look as far back as there has been popular entertainment…often disguised as religious stories…there have been killing, torture and gore.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#293149 - 12/25/07 10:22 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yep, I practically bathe in violent media in some sense, and while I can be sadistic-sounding in word sometimes (particularly where my sense of humor's concerned), everyone who knows me or who would happen to meet me would say that I am typically gentle and nice in deed. I've never physically harmed another person.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#293264 - 12/26/07 04:08 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Bruja]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> As a mother, my job is to protect and nurture my children, help them discover who they are so they can find their own path in life, and guide them into adulthood.<<

You already know that I hold you in high regard as a mother, Twinkle Toes.

But one thing that makes my fucking blood boil with these parents is the complete handing over of resonsibility for their children's education and nurturing.

In effect, home education is always required. Yes, children can learn things at school - the parameters of which extend well beyond academics - however, the point I am driving at is when these parents bitterly complain about the education system failing their half-illiterate offspring.

The school has failed them. The education system is failing us all - that is what's at fault, that is what's to blame. They completely entrust the whole spectrum of educating children to the school when ultimatley it begins and ends with them.

How often do we hear parents whinging "I don't know what's wrong with these kids. What on earth are they teaching them in school these days?"

When will the fucking dolts realise it's their own resonsibility?

Just as I know you do. And that undertaking is the crux of good parenting.

#293271 - 12/26/07 06:33 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota
"The school has failed them. The education system is failing us all - that is what's at fault, that is what's to blame. They completely entrust the whole spectrum of educating children to the school when ultimatley it begins and ends with them."

Indeed.
The school systems in America seem to be the biggest breeding ground for stupidity.
Whats worse, is that they are so limiting.
When i was in High School, my senior year, I was going to remove physics from my class schedule, because, I had already gotten accepted into a very prestigious art school, and wanted to take as many art classes in order to lessen the load in college, and because I had already taken college level biology/chemistry, and didnt really need the science credit.
My "genius" counselor wouldnt let me do that, because (and this is a direct quote "The school gets more money, if a girl is in a Science or math class than if she is in an art course. "

Its sad I think, that most parents dont realize this, nor do they take the time to know that its not just a weak system, but school advisiors look at children like little, walking wallets.

And, even more unfortunately, have you ever looked into private schools? Theyre a band-aid solution in my opinion, where, yes the child is learning more, but, at least in Minnesota, I cant find a single private school that ISNT Catholic.

#293273 - 12/26/07 06:44 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Vestiphobic]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
In spanish (I donīt know if this happen in english too) to educate and to teach arenīt exactly synonyms. To educate has a deeper sense that involves values, politeness and how to live your life while to teach just means to provide academic knowledge.

So, having that in mind, I would say parents should educate and teachers should teach. A lot of children arrive at the educative system being just barbarians because their parents havenīt been able to educate them in any sense.

Kierkegaard

#293285 - 12/26/07 08:29 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: TrojZyr]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

I know I have told this story before; probably on this forum; but I am at the age where I repeat my favorite stories over and over again. Pity my poor wife.

On a “family” movie trip, my wife and son went to a children’s movie, and I saw “Hostel”. At least half of the already small audience left before the movie ended. After the movie was over, those of us left stood around and talked a little. We were complete strangers, and we were talking to each other.

My wife’s experience, on the other hand, was horrible. People bumped into her. Poured soda down her back took phone calls during the movie and was rude when she asked them to converse outside the theater. These were adults who were acting like this. Everyone was miserable. I found it very interesting that, after watching a movie about people who paid money to torture and kill left feeling good, talking to people we did not know…and those who saw a children’s movie were wretched. I say, turn off the damned Barney, Elmo and Telletubbies, and sit the little tikes in front of some Quentin Tarantino. Apparently, watching people getting whacked is good for you!

#293288 - 12/26/07 08:38 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Vestiphobic]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Indeed.
The school systems in America seem to be the biggest breeding ground for stupidity. <<

It can be, yes, but that's not the point I am making.

What I am saying is that parents are handing over responsibility to the education system. Education ultimately begins and ends with the parents themselves.

It is typical of victim mentality to then blame the system having handed over the reins.

The system is there to produce stupid, easily controlled drones tailored for the 9 - 5 world. The trick is to use the system, rather than be subservient to it.

#293289 - 12/26/07 08:46 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
In effect, home education is always required. Yes, children can learn things at school - the parameters of which extend well beyond academics - however, the point I am driving at is when these parents bitterly complain about the education system failing their half-illiterate offspring.

Yes, it's essential that they go hand in hand. A young child that has never been taught manners and listening skills before beginning school makes it an immeasurable task for teachers to even begin to try and instill the basic foundation of academics in a class of twenty .... which hardly matters, as the child is destined to struggle if those basics are not reinforced and built upon at home. It's a shame really.

As an aside, I don't see the point of a parent complaining about the school system, public or private. The very logical solution is to remove the child from that system and handle their education at home if it's so very bad. It's interesting when this is suggested to a parent and they openly scoff and lament that they couldn't handle being around their child that much..... very telling, that statement is. ;\)

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#293292 - 12/26/07 08:55 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

In other words, do not complain about something you can do something about. There is a mentality that many have when it comes to “experts”. Professions such as doctors and teachers often go without being questioned by their clients.

There are some things I know that I would not do well trying to teach someone else. Mathematics, for instance, I have no idea how to teach. I can do it; but I am not sure how to tell someone else to do it. Reading and writing fall into that category. Better to let someone who is better able do that. I am not sure I would have the patience. But, education is a product. What other product would you purchase without checking the contents? None.

But, there are other things that we have to teach our son. And, there are things that we have to un-teach our son. The teachers give him homework; but it is up to us to teach our son how to accomplish tasks given to him. It is up to us to equip him with study skills, and how to prioritize his time. Also, he is taught things that are just plain stupid. There is a new law that says if a child is bullied, he or she is not allowed to hit back. They are literally told to hold their arms at their sides, not to raise their arms, even to defend themselves from a blow. We have told our son that there is no shame in walking away from a situation that is getting violent; but, if someone hits him, he is to defend himself. The school is trying to train him to turn the other cheek

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43873 Topics
405551 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements