Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#293305 - 12/26/07 10:35 AM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Colonel Kurtz]
Spike Offline

Loc: Hells Kitchen, NY
Video games are just the latest in a long line of scapegoats. In the 1940s, comic books took the blame for juvenile delinquency. Since then, TV, music, movies, and video games have all been blamed. It seems as if something other than socialization is always at fault.

#293390 - 12/26/07 05:46 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
There is a new law that says if a child is bullied, he or she is not allowed to hit back. They are literally told to hold their arms at their sides, not to raise their arms, even to defend themselves from a blow.

WHAT?!?!?

Falls off chair

And I thought the UK was bad for nannyism - what possible basis could that law have? Doesn't that completely undermine the whole notion of self defence and in effect legitimise aggression towards others? "Hey, it's okay for me to hit people mom and dad, they're not allowed to fight back". Unbelievable.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#293393 - 12/26/07 05:48 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Scion]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
 Originally Posted By: Scion
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
There is a new law that says if a child is bullied, he or she is not allowed to hit back. They are literally told to hold their arms at their sides, not to raise their arms, even to defend themselves from a blow.

WHAT?!?!?

Falls off chair

And I thought the UK was bad for nannyism - what possible basis could that law have? Doesn't that completely undermine the whole notion of self defence and in effect legitimise aggression towards others? "Hey, it's okay for me to hit people mom and dad, they're not allowed to fight back". Unbelievable.

I survived high school because I fought back like a rabid dog (and because I made some huge skinhead friends).
That law is just...plain stupid.

Kierkegaard

#293397 - 12/26/07 05:56 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Taubmann]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I will also say WHAAAAAT?

When I was a kid, there used to be a a violent little brat who liked to lash out at people when they made him mad. So, this means he sometimes lashed out at yours truly. He was very strong, but small and young, so adults who hadn't tangled with him didn't think he was a threat.

One day, I took my karate teacher's advice and training to heart---and remembered that, since he was smaller than me, wailing on him back could get me into trouble--and just held a defensive stance while he hit me on the arm with a big stick. He continued to hit me for several minutes, without either of us giving up.

Ended up with a big damn bruise on my arm.

I got better results when I learned to wear a belt around the neighborhood and take it off crack it like a whip. ;\)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#293401 - 12/26/07 06:04 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: TrojZyr]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
Well, a long story made short.

When I was 16 I was sent to a private high school, I was small back then and a nerd. The local bullies thought I was some kind of fresh meat to beat down, I wasn´t strong at all but I defended myself however I could and fought back. They had never confronted someone who wasn´t scared of them and who tried to fight back, they were just big coward assholes who liked to attack defenseless kids. Some days later some friends of me gave me a ride to school so the bullies could see what kind of friends I had.

They never attacked or bullied me again, never. Bullies are cowards, bullied boys must defend themselves.

Edited by Taubmann (12/26/07 06:06 PM)

Kierkegaard

#293402 - 12/26/07 06:08 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: TrojZyr]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I need to find what level that law is found. I am not sure if it is state or local. I do know that notices were sent home telling us of this, and that our child would be suspended if he fought back. They were told, in class, to either leave the situation, or hold their arms to their sides.
I checked with parents in other districts, and their children were told the exact same thing, word for word.
If it is something the schools in the state have decided upon, "law" may be too strong a word. But, this IS New Jersey. They haven't met a law they don't like around here...common sense be damned!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#293443 - 12/26/07 08:06 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
 Originally Posted By: Dr_Shaadriq_Aliz
What I am saying is that parents are handing over responsibility to the education system. Education ultimately begins and ends with the parents themselves.

Well said! And with few words too, you are a poet indeed, sir.

I think my initial lament had to do more with the general lack of responsibility that parents take not only for their children, but also for their own actions. Poetaster is right, I don't know that in this situation the parents made bad decisions. But I do know that it is far too common for people not to take responsibility for their own actions, and they pass it on to their children like a genetic mutation.
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#293446 - 12/26/07 08:21 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: Storm]
ingo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Iceland
It's seems that many children and teens are simply too stupid to realize that actions have consequences.

But noone is willing to say; "I'm just that stupid, I had no idea that breaking her back and choking her would be harmful to her".
But that is the sad truth...

Stories like this one allways make me sad, not because someone died or because they commited a crime, but because it shows how dumb and intellectually numb the majority of the world is.

#293468 - 12/26/07 09:06 PM Re: Children Actually are Killing Due to Video Game Play [Re: ingo]
Adversaryan Offline
Banned

Loc: Seattle WA
LMAO. did everyone skip how to teach reality?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements