Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#292121 - 12/20/07 01:43 PM I Like Christmas
ZJSimon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: So. Cal
I Like Christmas
Entry: I owe it all to Egg Nog, really.

Calling it Elf-(crass slang) with an equally cynical friend had established a routine (hardly a ritual) of toasting with it, to it, as ‘the only good thing about this time of year.’ Sneering at manger asses and reindeer games alike, each year I vowed to make a Krampus of myself, but barely managed a Grinch, always enjoying some small aspect of the holiday far too much to claim abstinence.

Of course I realized, soon enough to enjoy Egg Nog like a grown up, that indulgence should never have to hide behind disgust, aloofness, or even Winter Solstice, that there can never be too many excuses for Gluttony and Sloth and Love when the temperature drops.

I like Christmas.

I like the songs about the Baby Jesus, as most of them have very beautiful melodies. In fact, I’ll take a choir’s ode to the ‘newborn king’ over anyone’s Jingle Bell Rock. For that matter, I’ve found myself more critical of those atrocious inflatable lawn-snow-globes, than any nativity. Even the Grinch in me must admit that at least the latter wouldn’t aesthetically benefit from vandalism. Hell, I’ll worship a manger, that’s where we got the cows and chickens to make my Egg Nog.

Small harm if I was ‘duped’ as a child to associate the future of Roman propaganda with toys and candy, I *like* toys and candy. I’m lucky enough to say I like my family and I like excuses to make them enjoy what they otherwise wouldn’t have time for. I like the smell of pine, cider and sugar cookies. I like the idea of rewards for generosity and compassion, even if my early connections were misguided.

Most of the Christmas spectacle is dreadfully tacky, to be sure, and I do wish Halloween received half as much attention, but only because fakers make it better, rather than worse. Though isn’t it rather like going to see your favorite band; you don’t stop listening to them just because the other fans did their best to ruin the show, do you? Even if the pews and malls get extra smelly this time of year, put on a red nose if it suits you.

Christmas, American Winter, EggNogaDingDong, don’t you dare put my taxes in it, but do your worst. I’ll take the best.

#292128 - 12/20/07 02:18 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Very nicely written! I love the spicy, woody scents of the season. It's sort of like a string that connects the memories of the past seasons together.

I think you reflect the importance of being able to Get What Suits You Best from the holiday season.

#292138 - 12/20/07 03:14 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: RandomStranger]
VitalMcCorkle Offline

Indeed. Christmas time is my favorite time of year. Thanks for sharing!

#292337 - 12/21/07 01:13 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Well, I for one, enjoyed your entry on Xmas.

I like it too!

I love the songs (all though I do like Jingle Bell Rock) over 'Oh, Holy Night' any day of the week.

I could fill this thread with what I 'don't like, but that would be a long thread indeed. ;\)

What I do like:

I like the songs.

I like the bells, the whistles, the trains, the red suits, the elves, and all that dazzles with Holiday sentiment.

I love the FOOD and cooking it (more importantly).

I like bows, ribbons, and fancy dress.

In any event, thank you for posting, I must be going....I have cookies in the oven. \:\)

Happy Holidays to all (whatever the Holidays mean to you) may they be full of all you desire.

Indulge!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#292340 - 12/21/07 01:18 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Christmas in my family was never anything near being "christ" related. The only god I worshipped on that day alone was Santa, because he indulged my greedy materialistic needs of presents. Apart from that, we spent Christmas eating good food, drinking good drinks, relaxing, enjoying new toys, and getting together with friends and family; and what the hell is wrong with that? Not a thing.

Hail Santa!

#292343 - 12/21/07 01:30 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: TheDegenerate]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
That's funny, because when I was younger, I used to 'pray' to Santa before I would pray to God. ;\)

Santa was much more of a classy fellow to worship. \:D

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#292345 - 12/21/07 01:49 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Of course!

Santa actually gave me stuff. The fisher price 3 in 1 pool table was a much greater reality then vague promises of some pearly gates and sitting around on clouds all day. I mean, when you flipped it over, it became a glide hockey table! Way more awesome then sitting in a bloody church all damn day.

#292354 - 12/21/07 02:57 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I did not do Christmas one year.
My wife was miserable.
I was miserable.
I was much younger then.
I now know that any excuse for a party is a good thing.
Great post.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#292360 - 12/21/07 03:18 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada

#292423 - 12/21/07 10:09 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I went walking for over two hours through ritzy neighborhoods today - staring unabashedly at all of their ridiculous garish holiday decorations...alot of those inflatable monstrosities you mentioned. Made me think of the one year I went to the National Cathedral for a Christmas bell recital of some kind. It was soooo magnificent. Those exquisite stained glass windows. Now that was pomp and ceremony...

I love the lights at this time of year. Christmas lights and lots of shiny sparkly things. And all the shoppes have lotions and shampoos that smell like edible treats. Who doesn't want to smell like "Warm Vanilla Sugar Butter Cookie"?

I still can't bring myself to try this thing called an eggnogtini.

Very nice post!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#292431 - 12/21/07 11:04 PM A Charlie Brown Christmas... [Re: ZJSimon]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Vince Guaraldi did the sound track for A Charlis Brown Christmas. It drives my children nuts, and I fell like I'm 8 years old again.

#292617 - 12/22/07 09:37 PM A Satanic Chistmas [Re: ZJSimon]
ModernTantalus Offline

Seems quite a few Satanists like Christmas, and why not? After all, we know it's not really about baby Jesus, but an orgy of buying and self-indulgence done to a background of pagan aesthetics. Lesser magic is all about influencing how other people feel and react to us, and what better way to practice lesser magic than by giving thoughtful gifts to those closest to us? In this light Christmas is just as much a Satanic holiday as a Christian one.

So how's this for an idea? Satanic Christmas! I was out shopping today and realized that wrapping paper doesn't come in black, at least not where I shop. Gift wrapping that's either black or black with red baphomets on it would be awesome. I, for one, would buy one. Or fake Christmas trees that were black instead of green with a skull on top instead of an angel. You could hang skeleton Christmas Tree ornaments on it and get black light Christmas lights. It would have kind of a Nightmare Before Christmas kind of surrealism to it. Could be a good marketing scheme that could bring in cashflow to, say, the CoS Emporeum (hint, hint.)

Anyway, that's my idea. I think it's time we Satanists embrace Christmas, a holiday filled with lesser magic and indulgence, and claim it for our own. My hope is that some business owners on here will agree with me and see the possibility for profit.

P.S.: I forgot to mention this before. It'd annoy the hell out of the Christian Right. Yet another good reason to do it.

Edited by ModernTantalus (12/22/07 09:50 PM)

#292641 - 12/23/07 12:18 AM Re: A Satanic Chistmas [Re: ModernTantalus]
Goat Offline

Loc: Central California
That's a great idea! I would definately buy that wrapping paper if I had the chance \:\)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -Teddy Roosevelt

#292647 - 12/23/07 01:38 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Blackadder's Christmas Carol THIS is what xmas is all about.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#292653 - 12/23/07 02:38 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Phineas]
ZJSimon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: So. Cal
Thank you all for the delightful feedbacks and forwarding links.

Jagermeister is highest on my list of eggnog additives, which still surprises me as it's unbearable in anything else. Also surprising is that no one has printed Satanic wrapping paper, or true-black omni-holiday faux-organic trees for that matter.

During a new years party a few years back, some of our grotto did try to make a black Christmas tree.... in the end, all we had to show for it was ash ;\)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements