Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#292939 - 12/24/07 01:02 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: TheDegenerate]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
I think it's not so much a false spirit of altruism (I think all altruism is false) that drives them, and more of a feeling of not being in tune with others' movements, or not keeping up with the times and the rest of the herd.

"What kind of person will people see me as if I don't give everyone presents?"

#292943 - 12/24/07 01:44 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: HammerOfDoubt]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Could be, could be.

Ultimately, it is easy to make assumptions on a large scale. Boiling down to the individual, everyone has different motives. As for my own, why did I go out and buy my girlfriend new pants, a bra, and a robe? Was it for her truly, or partially because I wouldn't mind seeing how her ass looks in tight yoga pants? I will admit, though I did buy her certain gifts based on her tastes and likes, they benefit me as well. The difference here from the rest of the herd, is I am fully willing to ADMIT that, without slapping some sticker labelled "hero" on my forehead just because I got her what she wanted. She may enjoy the pink thong, but I guarantee, I will enjoy it twice as much! (Not to take that in the wrong context, of course; I certainly am not going to be putting it on.)

#292949 - 12/24/07 03:21 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Old_Pig]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country
 Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
 Originally Posted By: Vestiphobic

Eating? Drinking? Enjoying good time with my family? I can do all that any day I want, any month of the year.

Ahh, but do you?

thats the only good thing about Xmas IMO, and i think the reason it remains a good one is because its the time when people are encouraged to spend time with their loved ones.

So, what exactly stops me from spending time with my "loved ones" at any other moment of the year?

And why should I synchronize my "fun time" with the herd?

That´s exactly the reason why I haven´t celebrated new year´s eve for some years. In Spain new year´s eve means hordes of drunken sheeps acting like real assholes and filling every club and bar in the city untill the next morning, drinks are more expensive, and irresponsible drunkards cause problems untill the nex morning (just because it´s new year´s eve and YOU HAVE to have a great time on new year´s...)
I´ll have my fun whenever I want to have my fun, not when I´m told I should.

Kierkegaard

#292967 - 12/24/07 07:34 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Old_Pig]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota

So, what exactly stops me from spending time with my "loved ones" at any other moment of the year?

And why should I synchronize my "fun time" with the herd?

Nothing should stop you, nothing should force you into complacency, but you never answered my question, you know, do you or dont you spend time with your family outside of the holidays?

#292968 - 12/24/07 07:52 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Vestiphobic]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
I get worried when both Christians and Satanists worry about the same thing---the commercialization of Christmas, which to me reads as the secularization of xmas, which is just fine by me.

The idea, btw, that animals don't do this is false, as we are animals and we do this. Might is Right is not a theory to be applied so much as an understanding that it already is---

Humans find traditions and bond through them to create stronger networks of support---in short these traditions are societal adaptations to ensure necessary group strength through shared experience.

But fuck all that.

It is fun.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#292977 - 12/24/07 08:27 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Ygraine]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I have been thinking about whether there is any correlation between humans celebrating holidays and other species doing anything similar. I was wondering if there might not be some evolutionary vestige that may account for this activity.

This is all mere speculation, brain farts and shoddy research. Therefore, I feel qualified to post it. My thesis is that there may be biological justification in annual holiday events. My evidence is stuff I heard growing up, things a friend heard from the grandparent of the friend of a cousin and the Internet. Sterling sources.

Consider the prehistoric human. He is sitting in his cave, and realizes that each year, when the sun and moon seem to be in certain positions, and the temperature drops, food becomes a bit scarce. Perhaps he developed the habit of traveling to distant lands to find more nourishment. Over time, this may have become an annual event. Now, before such a trek is attempted, there may have been a period of feasting…growing fat so that no one starves on the trip. Over time, this became ritualized, with certain foods becoming necessary, such as turkey, ham and canned cranberry sauce. Not wanting to worry about the long, arduous trip ahead, mead began to be served at these shindigs.

Soon, prehistoric women evolved, developed firmer breasts and lost a substantial amount of body hair. The men took notice, and began chiseling pictures of these historical honeys. Alas…what to do with the finished product? Thus was born the calendar, in order to have a place to put these prehistoric pinups.

Now that calendars were available, man began to notice that there was a pattern in the weather changes. With this new technology, humans were able, for the first time, to coordinate events on the same day. This made possible long term planning, the ability to predict when the best hunting seasons took place and the aggravation of remembering when daylight savings began.

Then, it finally happened…man realized that it was best to migrate when the weather grew cold, man was able to synchronize when this event would take place and Dick Clark entered the scene, many millennia ago, completing the possibility for the prehistoric beginnings of the holiday season. A new age was ushered in.

So, whether you choose to use the same day as everyone else to feast, drink and prepare, in a symbolic way, for that great trek to forage for even more food; or, if you prefer to break rank and choose your own day for this momentous event, just remember…the birds do it, the bees do, and by gum, I’ll do it too! All hail Grok! The first human to proto-photo a certain cave babe, giving rise to the need for calendars, which brought the ability to keep up with the passage of time, which makes it possible for me to know just how old that bottle of scotch is I have been eyeing for the last two hours. Cheers!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#292982 - 12/24/07 09:33 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

There are many reasons-
http://events.yahoo.com/holiday07/
I like to watch people opening presents and be surprised.
I like opening presents and be surprised.
I am what you call "the man who has everything", really I am satisfied with what I have and if I need or want something I will get it for myself which limits it for others.
This year so far, I received the same present twice and LOVED it!
A trip to New York City!
I have paid for one of my 3 trips and other people have gotten me the others.

Attachments
Tim opening presents (2).JPG

#292983 - 12/24/07 09:39 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lexifer Offline

I'm not really big on xmas, Never have been. Last year I didn’t do anything... This year my girl talked me into setting up the old tree, and I have enjoyed it my self a bit.
We went ornament shopping when I spotted the coolest tree ever... I didn't know you could get black xmass trees. If we put up a tree next year I’m thinking of a black tree with red ornaments...
I wanted to break out the old saw, & casting supplies, and head to Lowes and make a crash scene in my front yard but I didn’t have enough cash this year so may next year I can have the mangled Santa and sleigh strewn about the yard...

#292984 - 12/24/07 09:41 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Lexifer]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Lexifer

I wanted to break out the old saw, & casting supplies, and head to Lowes and make a crash scene in my front yard but I didn’t have enough cash this year so may next year I can have the mangled Santa and sleigh strewn about the yard...

You are a very bad man. A mangled Santa will scare kiddies half to death. Now…if you REALLY want to finish the job…buy one deer carcass. Paint nose red!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#292990 - 12/24/07 10:22 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#292991 - 12/24/07 10:28 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: MagdaGraham]
Lexifer Offline

It would have been better if he had bought a ton of those little yard gnomes and put them at the base of the cross.. like a gathening lol...

#292992 - 12/24/07 10:30 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lexifer Offline

"You are a very bad man. A mangled Santa will scare kiddies half to death. Now…if you REALLY want to finish the job…buy one deer carcass. Paint nose red!"

Great idea Roho!!!

#293006 - 12/24/07 11:37 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: MagdaGraham]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
This man has balls, poking holes in three sacred cows all at once. I respect that and got quite the belly-chuckle; Merry Christmas indeed, emphasis on the Merry. \:D

Thank you for sharing.

#293014 - 12/24/07 01:01 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Vestiphobic]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
 Originally Posted By: Vestiphobic

Nothing should stop you, nothing should force you into complacency, but you never answered my question, you know, do you or dont you spend time with your family outside of the holidays?

Yes. A month ago I had some relatives visiting from Europe and I spent some time with them. Most of the family reunited and we had a very nice party. We all ate, drank, played music and sang together on a completely meaningless date of the year.

I also celebrate on dates that have meaning for me, like my birthday, my wife's birthday or the anniversary of the day we met.

#293028 - 12/24/07 03:13 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: MagdaGraham]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota
 Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham

"The display is also Conrad's way of poking fun at political correctness. He believes people don't express their feelings because they're afraid of what other people might think."

haha! Thats fantastic! I would have been more impressed if he would have had it up as an instillation peice, and not just the big F-U to the man.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406364 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements