Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#293030 - 12/24/07 03:28 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Excellent anthropological examination Roho.

A+

#293841 - 12/28/07 06:19 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
ZJSimon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: So. Cal
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I have been thinking about whether there is any correlation between humans celebrating holidays and other species doing anything similar. I was wondering if there might not be some evolutionary vestige that may account for this activity.

This is all mere speculation, brain farts and shoddy research. Therefore, I feel qualified to post it. My thesis is that there may be biological justification in annual holiday events. My evidence is stuff I heard growing up, things a friend heard from the grandparent of the friend of a cousin and the Internet. Sterling sources.

Consider the prehistoric human. He is sitting in his cave, and realizes that each year, when the sun and moon seem to be in certain positions, and the temperature drops, food becomes a bit scarce. Perhaps he developed the habit of traveling to distant lands to find more nourishment. Over time, this may have become an annual event. Now, before such a trek is attempted, there may have been a period of feasting…growing fat so that no one starves on the trip. Over time, this became ritualized, with certain foods becoming necessary, such as turkey, ham and canned cranberry sauce. Not wanting to worry about the long, arduous trip ahead, mead began to be served at these shindigs.

Soon, prehistoric women evolved, developed firmer breasts and lost a substantial amount of body hair. The men took notice, and began chiseling pictures of these historical honeys. Alas…what to do with the finished product? Thus was born the calendar, in order to have a place to put these prehistoric pinups.

Now that calendars were available, man began to notice that there was a pattern in the weather changes. With this new technology, humans were able, for the first time, to coordinate events on the same day. This made possible long term planning, the ability to predict when the best hunting seasons took place and the aggravation of remembering when daylight savings began.

Then, it finally happened…man realized that it was best to migrate when the weather grew cold, man was able to synchronize when this event would take place and Dick Clark entered the scene, many millennia ago, completing the possibility for the prehistoric beginnings of the holiday season. A new age was ushered in.

So, whether you choose to use the same day as everyone else to feast, drink and prepare, in a symbolic way, for that great trek to forage for even more food; or, if you prefer to break rank and choose your own day for this momentous event, just remember…the birds do it, the bees do, and by gum, I’ll do it too! All hail Grok! The first human to proto-photo a certain cave babe, giving rise to the need for calendars, which brought the ability to keep up with the passage of time, which makes it possible for me to know just how old that bottle of scotch is I have been eyeing for the last two hours. Cheers!

LOL! At last we have an explanation that makes sense! ;\)

#293875 - 12/28/07 09:17 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Well, it is all over; and, once again, I got toys, toys, and toys! I get toys every year.

In the spirit of being a big kid, I am reminded of when I got with my friends after Christmas, and recited the list…”Stuff I Got”. Here is the list of “Stuff I Got”. I fully expect to be laughed at and ridiculed by any and all Silly Adults.

The Stanley Kubrick Collection: “2001: A Space Oddysey”, “The Shining”, “Full Metal Jacket”, “A Clockwork Orange”, “Eyes Wide Shut”, a bonus disc on the life and films of Stanley Kubrick.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection: Contains the complete series, with one bonus disc.

“A Man Called Horse”

“The Return of a Man Called Horse”

“Veronica Mars”, seasons 1 and 2.

“Final Destination”, parts 1 and 3.

"The Devil's Advocate.

“Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader” board game.

“The Essential Captain America”

“Wholeness and the Implicate Order”, by Davis Bohm

“Krishnamurti's Notebook”, by J. Krishnamurti

AND 1 bottle of Tanqueray!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#293910 - 12/28/07 10:56 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
NICE HAUL!! sounds like a great christmas. I was going to start a thread called why my christmas sucked ass.. but I thought, in my best Ned Flanders, Why be a Downer Donnie?" I did Buy myself some movies as well this year.

But, They were my only presents... \:\(

SO,... Ill bring my digital projector and we'll watch Clockwork on the 100 inch!!

#293923 - 12/28/07 11:22 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Eibon]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
I didn't get anything apart from stocking fillers from my mum and £20 from my aunt, not exactly stellar is it? So I bought myself some books to keep me occupied through the long and boring xmas period.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#293952 - 12/28/07 12:24 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Eibon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Innominandum

SO,... Ill bring my digital projector and we'll watch Clockwork on the 100 inch!!

Sounds like a plan!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#293962 - 12/28/07 12:43 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Scion]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Yeah, You know, It wasn't the presents. I don't care if I get anything from anyone. I received a gift that was better than any material thing. A good friend of mine, whom I love dearly called and surprised me out of the blue. THAT was probably the single greatest present I have received in the past 20 years. It was a tough holiday. It was the first x-mas since the divorce and without my kids. The Kids make the holiday. I was able to go over and exchange presents and share some time with my ex and her new boyfriend ( who is a great guy actually). It was just hard sharing my family for the first time.

Honestly That one phone call, that, reaching out of someone I care about so very much, made this x-mass something very special for me.

#293975 - 12/28/07 01:48 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I have been thinking about whether there is any correlation between humans celebrating holidays and other species doing anything similar. [...] My thesis is that there may be biological justification in annual holiday events.

The idea of people gathering together in the darkest time of the year to feast and celebrate life is thousands and thousands of years old. Humans, as always, then add symbols and ritualistic expression to this.

Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
So, what exactly stops me from spending time with my "loved ones" at any other moment of the year?

And why should I synchronize my "fun time" with the herd?

I agree that it's silly to force oneself to go along with a schedule that's inconvenient. Late December, however, does work well for me and my mostly white-collar family. This is the time when offices are typically closed, there aren't any big projects scheduled because companies know not many will be in the office, people use their remaining vacation days before the end of the calendar year (if the office has no roll-over for vacation days), and bonuses come.

That's not to say we never fly out to see each other the rest of the year, but it's convenient to have at least one time where we can all schedule a visit well in advance. This also works for my brother, who's a full-time musician, and is on the road through most of the year.

I don't pout at people who choose not to celebrate the holiday. I realize that it's not a convenient time for everybody, and that some people rightfully can't stand their relatives, or are simply too broke to buy gifts.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#294179 - 12/29/07 04:47 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
StellaMaris Offline

I had a wonderful Christmas, although I received fewer actual gifts than previous years. Both sides of our family drew names for the other adults(we were still free to lavish gifts on the kids), which made for a less stressful/expensive holiday shopping experience. From my side of the family, I got a year's worth of free trips to the local Children's Museum, which was a perfect gift for a mom seeking more opportunities for my son to get out and interact with the world in the chilly, wet Northwest winter. From my partner's side of the family, I received some exquisitely tasteful clothing and accessories from the one person who most understood my aesthetics. But mostly, I was able to experience one of my favorite pagan holidays through the eyes of my 20-month old son...which was perhaps the best gift of all!

My sister(also a mom) was a bit disappointed to learn that I won't be propagating the "Santa myth" with my child. Her position was that, being that she wasn't promoting the Jesus myth, she should at least add some kind of magical fanfare to Christmas for her kids via the Santa Claus. But I think Christmas is magical enough, with its twinkling lights, ornamented trees, hanging of stockings, lighting of candles, gatherings of loved ones, giving of gifts, feasting, etc...No need to tell any sort of lies to youngsters...

I like Roho's clever interpretation, and really, it does all boil down to the question of what us humans would best do in the dead of winter, when the days are the shortest, when resources seem scarce, but when the days are becoming longer, and there is promise of prosperity ahead--Feast, give, receive, and celebrate!

(and yes, I do think "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night" make better seasonal lullaby tunes than "Jingle Bell Rock"...maybe until my son starts asking me what "round yon virgin" means!)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements