Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#292121 - 12/20/07 01:43 PM I Like Christmas
ZJSimon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: So. Cal
I Like Christmas
Entry: I owe it all to Egg Nog, really.

Calling it Elf-(crass slang) with an equally cynical friend had established a routine (hardly a ritual) of toasting with it, to it, as ‘the only good thing about this time of year.’ Sneering at manger asses and reindeer games alike, each year I vowed to make a Krampus of myself, but barely managed a Grinch, always enjoying some small aspect of the holiday far too much to claim abstinence.

Of course I realized, soon enough to enjoy Egg Nog like a grown up, that indulgence should never have to hide behind disgust, aloofness, or even Winter Solstice, that there can never be too many excuses for Gluttony and Sloth and Love when the temperature drops.

I like Christmas.

I like the songs about the Baby Jesus, as most of them have very beautiful melodies. In fact, I’ll take a choir’s ode to the ‘newborn king’ over anyone’s Jingle Bell Rock. For that matter, I’ve found myself more critical of those atrocious inflatable lawn-snow-globes, than any nativity. Even the Grinch in me must admit that at least the latter wouldn’t aesthetically benefit from vandalism. Hell, I’ll worship a manger, that’s where we got the cows and chickens to make my Egg Nog.

Small harm if I was ‘duped’ as a child to associate the future of Roman propaganda with toys and candy, I *like* toys and candy. I’m lucky enough to say I like my family and I like excuses to make them enjoy what they otherwise wouldn’t have time for. I like the smell of pine, cider and sugar cookies. I like the idea of rewards for generosity and compassion, even if my early connections were misguided.

Most of the Christmas spectacle is dreadfully tacky, to be sure, and I do wish Halloween received half as much attention, but only because fakers make it better, rather than worse. Though isn’t it rather like going to see your favorite band; you don’t stop listening to them just because the other fans did their best to ruin the show, do you? Even if the pews and malls get extra smelly this time of year, put on a red nose if it suits you.

Christmas, American Winter, EggNogaDingDong, don’t you dare put my taxes in it, but do your worst. I’ll take the best.

#292128 - 12/20/07 02:18 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
Very nicely written! I love the spicy, woody scents of the season. It's sort of like a string that connects the memories of the past seasons together.

I think you reflect the importance of being able to Get What Suits You Best from the holiday season.

#292138 - 12/20/07 03:14 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: RandomStranger]
VitalMcCorkle Offline

Indeed. Christmas time is my favorite time of year. Thanks for sharing!

#292337 - 12/21/07 01:13 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Well, I for one, enjoyed your entry on Xmas.

I like it too!

I love the songs (all though I do like Jingle Bell Rock) over 'Oh, Holy Night' any day of the week.

I could fill this thread with what I 'don't like, but that would be a long thread indeed. ;\)

What I do like:

I like the songs.

I like the bells, the whistles, the trains, the red suits, the elves, and all that dazzles with Holiday sentiment.

I love the FOOD and cooking it (more importantly).

I like bows, ribbons, and fancy dress.

In any event, thank you for posting, I must be going....I have cookies in the oven. \:\)

Happy Holidays to all (whatever the Holidays mean to you) may they be full of all you desire.

Indulge!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#292340 - 12/21/07 01:18 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Christmas in my family was never anything near being "christ" related. The only god I worshipped on that day alone was Santa, because he indulged my greedy materialistic needs of presents. Apart from that, we spent Christmas eating good food, drinking good drinks, relaxing, enjoying new toys, and getting together with friends and family; and what the hell is wrong with that? Not a thing.

Hail Santa!

#292343 - 12/21/07 01:30 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: TheDegenerate]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
That's funny, because when I was younger, I used to 'pray' to Santa before I would pray to God. ;\)

Santa was much more of a classy fellow to worship. \:D

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#292345 - 12/21/07 01:49 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Evil_Eve]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Of course!

Santa actually gave me stuff. The fisher price 3 in 1 pool table was a much greater reality then vague promises of some pearly gates and sitting around on clouds all day. I mean, when you flipped it over, it became a glide hockey table! Way more awesome then sitting in a bloody church all damn day.

#292354 - 12/21/07 02:57 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I did not do Christmas one year.
My wife was miserable.
I was miserable.
I was much younger then.
I now know that any excuse for a party is a good thing.
Great post.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#292360 - 12/21/07 03:18 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada

#292423 - 12/21/07 10:09 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I went walking for over two hours through ritzy neighborhoods today - staring unabashedly at all of their ridiculous garish holiday decorations...alot of those inflatable monstrosities you mentioned. Made me think of the one year I went to the National Cathedral for a Christmas bell recital of some kind. It was soooo magnificent. Those exquisite stained glass windows. Now that was pomp and ceremony...

I love the lights at this time of year. Christmas lights and lots of shiny sparkly things. And all the shoppes have lotions and shampoos that smell like edible treats. Who doesn't want to smell like "Warm Vanilla Sugar Butter Cookie"?

I still can't bring myself to try this thing called an eggnogtini.

Very nice post!
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#292431 - 12/21/07 11:04 PM A Charlie Brown Christmas... [Re: ZJSimon]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Vince Guaraldi did the sound track for A Charlis Brown Christmas. It drives my children nuts, and I fell like I'm 8 years old again.

#292617 - 12/22/07 09:37 PM A Satanic Chistmas [Re: ZJSimon]
ModernTantalus Offline

Seems quite a few Satanists like Christmas, and why not? After all, we know it's not really about baby Jesus, but an orgy of buying and self-indulgence done to a background of pagan aesthetics. Lesser magic is all about influencing how other people feel and react to us, and what better way to practice lesser magic than by giving thoughtful gifts to those closest to us? In this light Christmas is just as much a Satanic holiday as a Christian one.

So how's this for an idea? Satanic Christmas! I was out shopping today and realized that wrapping paper doesn't come in black, at least not where I shop. Gift wrapping that's either black or black with red baphomets on it would be awesome. I, for one, would buy one. Or fake Christmas trees that were black instead of green with a skull on top instead of an angel. You could hang skeleton Christmas Tree ornaments on it and get black light Christmas lights. It would have kind of a Nightmare Before Christmas kind of surrealism to it. Could be a good marketing scheme that could bring in cashflow to, say, the CoS Emporeum (hint, hint.)

Anyway, that's my idea. I think it's time we Satanists embrace Christmas, a holiday filled with lesser magic and indulgence, and claim it for our own. My hope is that some business owners on here will agree with me and see the possibility for profit.

P.S.: I forgot to mention this before. It'd annoy the hell out of the Christian Right. Yet another good reason to do it.

Edited by ModernTantalus (12/22/07 09:50 PM)

#292641 - 12/23/07 12:18 AM Re: A Satanic Chistmas [Re: ModernTantalus]
Goat Offline

Loc: Central California
That's a great idea! I would definately buy that wrapping paper if I had the chance \:\)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -Teddy Roosevelt

#292647 - 12/23/07 01:38 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Blackadder's Christmas Carol THIS is what xmas is all about.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#292653 - 12/23/07 02:38 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Phineas]
ZJSimon Offline
CoS Member

Thank you all for the delightful feedbacks and forwarding links.

Jagermeister is highest on my list of eggnog additives, which still surprises me as it's unbearable in anything else. Also surprising is that no one has printed Satanic wrapping paper, or true-black omni-holiday faux-organic trees for that matter.

During a new years party a few years back, some of our grotto did try to make a black Christmas tree.... in the end, all we had to show for it was ash ;\)

#292719 - 12/23/07 09:56 AM Re: A Satanic Chistmas [Re: ModernTantalus]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
Try ebay for the ornaments- I got talked into a tree this year (1st time in 15 years) but I insisted that the the ornaments be different. They have several including Betty Boop as the devil , I actually bought a witch cat ornament and well as a mexican devil ornament. Definately something that will take awhile to collect. Next Halloween , I want to get bat lights instead if the blue small ones that I bought this year from Jo Anne's . This year was a last minute decision.

Black wrapping paper? Believe it or not try Hobby Lobby. Not in the Xmas section . You might want to collect Halloween type rubber stamps and print your own designs in red and black (or black and burgandy) on white paper. You can have Kinkos copy your designs if you are not up for doing all of your paper by hand.

Rumour here has it that Borders has black Trees though I have not seen them, it might be worth checking out.

GothMartha Stewart(on line) has a Pagan treetop angel instructions -I made one a couple of years ago but time has not allowed me to retrieve her from storage due to increased hours at work. I am sure that the fertile imaginations here could make her Satanic.

Edited by SueW (12/23/07 09:57 AM)

#292786 - 12/23/07 12:35 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

I like Christmas because I get to eat a lot of good food that I can't cook worth a damn.

I also get to hang out with family members that I don't see very often. We all get together and eat, talk shit, drink beer and wine, watch football and play dominoes. You know. Typical black family stuff.

My favorite part of the meeting is when all the food is prepared on the table. We all stand up, join hands and bow our heads. I play along but I can't help but chuckle to myself when I hear the words "In Jesus' name! Hallelulah!"

HS!

#292863 - 12/23/07 04:49 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Callier]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
I'm not a great fan of xmas as I said in a previous thread on the topic. My main contentions are that it's a very boring time of year and you end up being imprisoned at home at everything is closed and your friends are all doing the xmas obligation thing for what seems like two weeks.

That said one thing I liked about xmas this year was this little song which I shall share with you all, instructions are as follows:

Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/christmasparty/performances/1.shtml
Click on the link at the bottom (christmas party 2)
Skip ahead one set of five minutes and wait until minute 6.15
Do this before 28th December as it's only available for seven days.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#292893 - 12/23/07 07:26 PM Re: A Satanic Chistmas [Re: SueW]
ModernTantalus Offline

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure most this stuff could be found somewhere. It'd just be nice to have a one stop shop for that kind of thing.

#292895 - 12/23/07 07:37 PM Black Christmas Trees [Re: SueW]
Sammael Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Detroit, MI
Try Google.

They're a bit on the expensive side, though.

#292897 - 12/23/07 08:06 PM Re: A Satanic Chistmas [Re: SueW]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Spray paint, people, spray paint!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#292898 - 12/23/07 08:08 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I hate Christmas.

And my hatred has nothing to do with the alleged birthday of some mythological figure.

It's a time of the year when I have to suffer all kind of annoyances due to some stupid mass ritual that doesn’t mean anything to me.

I find very stupid that practically every human activity has to be disrupted for an entire month (and some times longer) at this time of the year. For the entire month of December nothing works as it should, because of “the holidays”.

If I need to conduct any kind of business, I’m told that things won’t go back to normality until January due to “the holidays”.

If I need to buy something, I have to stand in long lines among the mindless drones embarked on their shopping spree, because of “the holidays”.

If I need to drive somewhere, the entire city is a huge traffic jam… because of “the holidays”.

Everywhere I go I have to suffer the obnoxious “jingle bell” muzak repeated ad nauseam … The stores are a mess, nothing is in its place, and nobody wants to work… all because of “the holidays”.

Eating? Drinking? Enjoying good time with my family? I can do all that any day I want, any month of the year.

I hate Christmas and I can’t wait for it to be over.

#292900 - 12/23/07 08:21 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Sammael Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Detroit, MI
I used to avoid anything Christmas related at all costs.

As I've mentioned on here before, my family is very religious. They are convinced that Jesus is the "reason for the season," and celebrating Christmas without celebrating the birth of Christ is complete and utter hypocrisy.

I remember as a child, many Christmases we would have a cake...... with candles........ and sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus.

Yes, I am dead serious.

Once I came to reject Christianity and accept Satanism, it took me quite a while to get past my previous conditioning regarding Christmas.

I still don't celebrate in the traditional way (gift giving, and whatnot). Rather, I engage in mass indulgence. On Christmas eve, I enjoy a nice meal (I currently have a ribeye marinating in the fridge right now, which I will enjoy with cheesy garlic redskin mashed potatoes, topped with spicy corn) and get mildly tipsy. On Christmas day, I sleep in and have a rather lazy day (it's incredibly rare that I get to enjoy those).

I also enjoy being blasphemous - I have a Santa hat with devil horns, and enjoy playing the HPLHS "Scary Solstice" CD, as well as "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics."

Long story short, I have distanced myself from the celebrations with which I was raised. However, I have found my own way to enjoy the holiday. But to me, it's still "just Christmas" - nothing special. No more noteworthy than any other holiday.

#292901 - 12/23/07 08:22 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Old_Pig]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota
 Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig

Eating? Drinking? Enjoying good time with my family? I can do all that any day I want, any month of the year.

Ahh, but do you?

thats the only good thing about Xmas IMO, and i think the reason it remains a good one is because its the time when people are encouraged to spend time with their loved ones.

#292912 - 12/23/07 09:21 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Vestiphobic]
Old_Pig Offline

Originally Posted By: Vestiphobic

Ahh, but do you?

thats the only good thing about Xmas IMO, and i think the reason it remains a good one is because its the time when people are encouraged to spend time with their loved ones.

So, what exactly stops me from spending time with my "loved ones" at any other moment of the year?

And why should I synchronize my "fun time" with the herd?

#292915 - 12/23/07 10:37 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Old_Pig]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Think about what is implied about human society that we have to put ourselves through such panic and stress and consumption and huddling to just have a few days of peace in Winter.

None of the other animals put themselves through something like this.

You can't even draw parallels to hibernation, because we don't really stop, and we don't do it for the whole Winter.

Bah Humbug!

#292928 - 12/23/07 11:25 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: HammerOfDoubt]
Danny Mc. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Taxationland
I'm with you and Mr. Tha_Pig on this one. Christmas is a bloated scam for the retards. I feel yuletide joy for all the suckers that spend all their money, run-up their credit cards, and subject themselves to "family" and "friends" they truly wish they could kill! And we get gems like this...

"To be born into this world a sentient, self-conscious and reasoning being, surrounded by inexhaustible glories in Nature, which we may comprehend, possess,enjoy; to be able to rise on the wings of a lofty imagination; to be able to get glimpses of the ideally perfect; to apprehend the Divine; it is to the development and enjoyment of these high powers that the young man is invited. How dare he refuse to qualify himself by the most perfect training of all his powers." Lyman J. Gage 1910

"Follow Me!", John M. (Delta).

"I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others - they are more screwed up than you think." Something Magistra Isabel posted. laugh

#292931 - 12/23/07 11:42 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Danny Mc.]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

I do it because I always have done it.

I do not go out spending hundreds of dollars on gifts for nobodies who I wouldn't shake a stick at. My girlfriend and I have a gift exchange, and that is about the extent of it. We go to her parents house Christmas day, which I actually enjoy doing, because they are extremely laid back people. We drink, we talk, we enjoy a massive turkey dinner.

I would not bother going out of my way to reject Christmas, as for me, it is an enjoyable day. I have never had a bad one. I do not phone family members, I do not collaberate with them. Christmas eve I spend, and always have, with my mother, who cooks a good meal, and makes homeemade nanaimo bars. (Those of you in the states, not sure if you are familiar with them. They rock.)

If Christmas became a nuisance, or a money draining day of loathing, I would not do anything for it. But it isn't for me, so I do.

#292933 - 12/24/07 12:02 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: TheDegenerate]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Don't get me wrong. I like Xmas. I like swapping gifts with loved ones and cold weather and cheesy feel-good Holiday songs and relaxing with friends and family. What I'm saying is to think about how backwards people have it that they turn the Winter into a time of frenzied guilt-trip consumer madness. The suicide rate skyrockets, the "big-shot" complex balloons as people come to believe their present has an overriding importance over anyone else's, and the masses drive themselves into misery and debt.

All I can do is just look at them from my chair and think "What the hell is wrong with these people?"

#292937 - 12/24/07 12:17 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: HammerOfDoubt]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Agreed.

What seems more satisfying to most is the false sense of altruism they have at the concept of spending hundreds to give said gifts. If the favor is not returned adequately, or not appreciated, they will become bitter and mad. Christmas, in essence, is therefore about "giving to receive" rather then giving and receiving, or just plain giving. (It's original intent, according to any song I have ever heard on the subject.) If someone I hate buys me something thinking they will earn my respect, all that has taken place is that I have received a free gift, and they have lost even MORE of my respect for thinking my fondness can be BOUGHT.

#292939 - 12/24/07 01:02 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: TheDegenerate]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

I think it's not so much a false spirit of altruism (I think all altruism is false) that drives them, and more of a feeling of not being in tune with others' movements, or not keeping up with the times and the rest of the herd.

"What kind of person will people see me as if I don't give everyone presents?"

#292943 - 12/24/07 01:44 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: HammerOfDoubt]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Could be, could be.

Ultimately, it is easy to make assumptions on a large scale. Boiling down to the individual, everyone has different motives. As for my own, why did I go out and buy my girlfriend new pants, a bra, and a robe? Was it for her truly, or partially because I wouldn't mind seeing how her ass looks in tight yoga pants? I will admit, though I did buy her certain gifts based on her tastes and likes, they benefit me as well. The difference here from the rest of the herd, is I am fully willing to ADMIT that, without slapping some sticker labelled "hero" on my forehead just because I got her what she wanted. She may enjoy the pink thong, but I guarantee, I will enjoy it twice as much! (Not to take that in the wrong context, of course; I certainly am not going to be putting it on.)

#292949 - 12/24/07 03:21 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Old_Pig]
Taubmann Offline

Loc: Basque Country

Ahh, but do you?

So, what exactly stops me from spending time with my "loved ones" at any other moment of the year?

That´s exactly the reason why I haven´t celebrated new year´s eve for some years. In Spain new year´s eve means hordes of drunken sheeps acting like real assholes and filling every club and bar in the city untill the next morning, drinks are more expensive, and irresponsible drunkards cause problems untill the nex morning (just because it´s new year´s eve and YOU HAVE to have a great time on new year´s...)
I´ll have my fun whenever I want to have my fun, not when I´m told I should.

Kierkegaard

#292967 - 12/24/07 07:34 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Old_Pig]
Vestiphobic Offline

Nothing should stop you, nothing should force you into complacency, but you never answered my question, you know, do you or dont you spend time with your family outside of the holidays?

#292968 - 12/24/07 07:52 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Vestiphobic]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
I get worried when both Christians and Satanists worry about the same thing---the commercialization of Christmas, which to me reads as the secularization of xmas, which is just fine by me.

The idea, btw, that animals don't do this is false, as we are animals and we do this. Might is Right is not a theory to be applied so much as an understanding that it already is---

Humans find traditions and bond through them to create stronger networks of support---in short these traditions are societal adaptations to ensure necessary group strength through shared experience.

But fuck all that.

It is fun.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#292977 - 12/24/07 08:27 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Ygraine]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

I have been thinking about whether there is any correlation between humans celebrating holidays and other species doing anything similar. I was wondering if there might not be some evolutionary vestige that may account for this activity.

This is all mere speculation, brain farts and shoddy research. Therefore, I feel qualified to post it. My thesis is that there may be biological justification in annual holiday events. My evidence is stuff I heard growing up, things a friend heard from the grandparent of the friend of a cousin and the Internet. Sterling sources.

Consider the prehistoric human. He is sitting in his cave, and realizes that each year, when the sun and moon seem to be in certain positions, and the temperature drops, food becomes a bit scarce. Perhaps he developed the habit of traveling to distant lands to find more nourishment. Over time, this may have become an annual event. Now, before such a trek is attempted, there may have been a period of feasting…growing fat so that no one starves on the trip. Over time, this became ritualized, with certain foods becoming necessary, such as turkey, ham and canned cranberry sauce. Not wanting to worry about the long, arduous trip ahead, mead began to be served at these shindigs.

Soon, prehistoric women evolved, developed firmer breasts and lost a substantial amount of body hair. The men took notice, and began chiseling pictures of these historical honeys. Alas…what to do with the finished product? Thus was born the calendar, in order to have a place to put these prehistoric pinups.

Now that calendars were available, man began to notice that there was a pattern in the weather changes. With this new technology, humans were able, for the first time, to coordinate events on the same day. This made possible long term planning, the ability to predict when the best hunting seasons took place and the aggravation of remembering when daylight savings began.

Then, it finally happened…man realized that it was best to migrate when the weather grew cold, man was able to synchronize when this event would take place and Dick Clark entered the scene, many millennia ago, completing the possibility for the prehistoric beginnings of the holiday season. A new age was ushered in.

So, whether you choose to use the same day as everyone else to feast, drink and prepare, in a symbolic way, for that great trek to forage for even more food; or, if you prefer to break rank and choose your own day for this momentous event, just remember…the birds do it, the bees do, and by gum, I’ll do it too! All hail Grok! The first human to proto-photo a certain cave babe, giving rise to the need for calendars, which brought the ability to keep up with the passage of time, which makes it possible for me to know just how old that bottle of scotch is I have been eyeing for the last two hours. Cheers!

#292982 - 12/24/07 09:33 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

There are many reasons-
http://events.yahoo.com/holiday07/
I like to watch people opening presents and be surprised.
I like opening presents and be surprised.
I am what you call "the man who has everything", really I am satisfied with what I have and if I need or want something I will get it for myself which limits it for others.
This year so far, I received the same present twice and LOVED it!
A trip to New York City!
I have paid for one of my 3 trips and other people have gotten me the others.

Attachments
Tim opening presents (2).JPG

#292983 - 12/24/07 09:39 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lexifer Offline

I'm not really big on xmas, Never have been. Last year I didn’t do anything... This year my girl talked me into setting up the old tree, and I have enjoyed it my self a bit.
We went ornament shopping when I spotted the coolest tree ever... I didn't know you could get black xmass trees. If we put up a tree next year I’m thinking of a black tree with red ornaments...
I wanted to break out the old saw, & casting supplies, and head to Lowes and make a crash scene in my front yard but I didn’t have enough cash this year so may next year I can have the mangled Santa and sleigh strewn about the yard...

#292984 - 12/24/07 09:41 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Lexifer]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Lexifer

I wanted to break out the old saw, & casting supplies, and head to Lowes and make a crash scene in my front yard but I didn’t have enough cash this year so may next year I can have the mangled Santa and sleigh strewn about the yard...

You are a very bad man. A mangled Santa will scare kiddies half to death. Now…if you REALLY want to finish the job…buy one deer carcass. Paint nose red!

#292990 - 12/24/07 10:22 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#292991 - 12/24/07 10:28 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: MagdaGraham]
Lexifer Offline

It would have been better if he had bought a ton of those little yard gnomes and put them at the base of the cross.. like a gathening lol...

#292992 - 12/24/07 10:30 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lexifer Offline

"You are a very bad man. A mangled Santa will scare kiddies half to death. Now…if you REALLY want to finish the job…buy one deer carcass. Paint nose red!"

Great idea Roho!!!

#293006 - 12/24/07 11:37 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: MagdaGraham]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
This man has balls, poking holes in three sacred cows all at once. I respect that and got quite the belly-chuckle; Merry Christmas indeed, emphasis on the Merry. \:D

Thank you for sharing.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a person’s faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#293014 - 12/24/07 01:01 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Vestiphobic]
Old_Pig Offline

Nothing should stop you, nothing should force you into complacency, but you never answered my question, you know, do you or dont you spend time with your family outside of the holidays?

Yes. A month ago I had some relatives visiting from Europe and I spent some time with them. Most of the family reunited and we had a very nice party. We all ate, drank, played music and sang together on a completely meaningless date of the year.

I also celebrate on dates that have meaning for me, like my birthday, my wife's birthday or the anniversary of the day we met.

#293028 - 12/24/07 03:13 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: MagdaGraham]
Vestiphobic Offline

Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham

"The display is also Conrad's way of poking fun at political correctness. He believes people don't express their feelings because they're afraid of what other people might think."

haha! Thats fantastic! I would have been more impressed if he would have had it up as an instillation peice, and not just the big F-U to the man.

#293030 - 12/24/07 03:28 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Excellent anthropological examination Roho.

A+

#293841 - 12/28/07 06:19 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
ZJSimon Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I have been thinking about whether there is any correlation between humans celebrating holidays and other species doing anything similar. I was wondering if there might not be some evolutionary vestige that may account for this activity.

This is all mere speculation, brain farts and shoddy research. Therefore, I feel qualified to post it. My thesis is that there may be biological justification in annual holiday events. My evidence is stuff I heard growing up, things a friend heard from the grandparent of the friend of a cousin and the Internet. Sterling sources.

Consider the prehistoric human. He is sitting in his cave, and realizes that each year, when the sun and moon seem to be in certain positions, and the temperature drops, food becomes a bit scarce. Perhaps he developed the habit of traveling to distant lands to find more nourishment. Over time, this may have become an annual event. Now, before such a trek is attempted, there may have been a period of feasting…growing fat so that no one starves on the trip. Over time, this became ritualized, with certain foods becoming necessary, such as turkey, ham and canned cranberry sauce. Not wanting to worry about the long, arduous trip ahead, mead began to be served at these shindigs.

Soon, prehistoric women evolved, developed firmer breasts and lost a substantial amount of body hair. The men took notice, and began chiseling pictures of these historical honeys. Alas…what to do with the finished product? Thus was born the calendar, in order to have a place to put these prehistoric pinups.

Now that calendars were available, man began to notice that there was a pattern in the weather changes. With this new technology, humans were able, for the first time, to coordinate events on the same day. This made possible long term planning, the ability to predict when the best hunting seasons took place and the aggravation of remembering when daylight savings began.

Then, it finally happened…man realized that it was best to migrate when the weather grew cold, man was able to synchronize when this event would take place and Dick Clark entered the scene, many millennia ago, completing the possibility for the prehistoric beginnings of the holiday season. A new age was ushered in.

So, whether you choose to use the same day as everyone else to feast, drink and prepare, in a symbolic way, for that great trek to forage for even more food; or, if you prefer to break rank and choose your own day for this momentous event, just remember…the birds do it, the bees do, and by gum, I’ll do it too! All hail Grok! The first human to proto-photo a certain cave babe, giving rise to the need for calendars, which brought the ability to keep up with the passage of time, which makes it possible for me to know just how old that bottle of scotch is I have been eyeing for the last two hours. Cheers!

LOL! At last we have an explanation that makes sense! ;\)

#293875 - 12/28/07 09:17 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: ZJSimon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Well, it is all over; and, once again, I got toys, toys, and toys! I get toys every year.

In the spirit of being a big kid, I am reminded of when I got with my friends after Christmas, and recited the list…”Stuff I Got”. Here is the list of “Stuff I Got”. I fully expect to be laughed at and ridiculed by any and all Silly Adults.

The Stanley Kubrick Collection: “2001: A Space Oddysey”, “The Shining”, “Full Metal Jacket”, “A Clockwork Orange”, “Eyes Wide Shut”, a bonus disc on the life and films of Stanley Kubrick.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection: Contains the complete series, with one bonus disc.

“A Man Called Horse”

“The Return of a Man Called Horse”

“Veronica Mars”, seasons 1 and 2.

“Final Destination”, parts 1 and 3.

"The Devil's Advocate.

“Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader” board game.

“The Essential Captain America”

“Wholeness and the Implicate Order”, by Davis Bohm

“Krishnamurti's Notebook”, by J. Krishnamurti

AND 1 bottle of Tanqueray!

#293910 - 12/28/07 10:56 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
NICE HAUL!! sounds like a great christmas. I was going to start a thread called why my christmas sucked ass.. but I thought, in my best Ned Flanders, Why be a Downer Donnie?" I did Buy myself some movies as well this year.

But, They were my only presents... \:\(

SO,... Ill bring my digital projector and we'll watch Clockwork on the 100 inch!!

#293923 - 12/28/07 11:22 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Eibon]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
I didn't get anything apart from stocking fillers from my mum and £20 from my aunt, not exactly stellar is it? So I bought myself some books to keep me occupied through the long and boring xmas period.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#293952 - 12/28/07 12:24 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Eibon]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Innominandum

SO,... Ill bring my digital projector and we'll watch Clockwork on the 100 inch!!

Sounds like a plan!

#293962 - 12/28/07 12:43 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Scion]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Yeah, You know, It wasn't the presents. I don't care if I get anything from anyone. I received a gift that was better than any material thing. A good friend of mine, whom I love dearly called and surprised me out of the blue. THAT was probably the single greatest present I have received in the past 20 years. It was a tough holiday. It was the first x-mas since the divorce and without my kids. The Kids make the holiday. I was able to go over and exchange presents and share some time with my ex and her new boyfriend ( who is a great guy actually). It was just hard sharing my family for the first time.

Honestly That one phone call, that, reaching out of someone I care about so very much, made this x-mass something very special for me.

#293975 - 12/28/07 01:48 PM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I have been thinking about whether there is any correlation between humans celebrating holidays and other species doing anything similar. [...] My thesis is that there may be biological justification in annual holiday events.

The idea of people gathering together in the darkest time of the year to feast and celebrate life is thousands and thousands of years old. Humans, as always, then add symbols and ritualistic expression to this.

I agree that it's silly to force oneself to go along with a schedule that's inconvenient. Late December, however, does work well for me and my mostly white-collar family. This is the time when offices are typically closed, there aren't any big projects scheduled because companies know not many will be in the office, people use their remaining vacation days before the end of the calendar year (if the office has no roll-over for vacation days), and bonuses come.

That's not to say we never fly out to see each other the rest of the year, but it's convenient to have at least one time where we can all schedule a visit well in advance. This also works for my brother, who's a full-time musician, and is on the road through most of the year.

I don't pout at people who choose not to celebrate the holiday. I realize that it's not a convenient time for everybody, and that some people rightfully can't stand their relatives, or are simply too broke to buy gifts.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#294179 - 12/29/07 04:47 AM Re: I Like Christmas [Re: Bill_M]
StellaMaris Offline

I had a wonderful Christmas, although I received fewer actual gifts than previous years. Both sides of our family drew names for the other adults(we were still free to lavish gifts on the kids), which made for a less stressful/expensive holiday shopping experience. From my side of the family, I got a year's worth of free trips to the local Children's Museum, which was a perfect gift for a mom seeking more opportunities for my son to get out and interact with the world in the chilly, wet Northwest winter. From my partner's side of the family, I received some exquisitely tasteful clothing and accessories from the one person who most understood my aesthetics. But mostly, I was able to experience one of my favorite pagan holidays through the eyes of my 20-month old son...which was perhaps the best gift of all!

My sister(also a mom) was a bit disappointed to learn that I won't be propagating the "Santa myth" with my child. Her position was that, being that she wasn't promoting the Jesus myth, she should at least add some kind of magical fanfare to Christmas for her kids via the Santa Claus. But I think Christmas is magical enough, with its twinkling lights, ornamented trees, hanging of stockings, lighting of candles, gatherings of loved ones, giving of gifts, feasting, etc...No need to tell any sort of lies to youngsters...

I like Roho's clever interpretation, and really, it does all boil down to the question of what us humans would best do in the dead of winter, when the days are the shortest, when resources seem scarce, but when the days are becoming longer, and there is promise of prosperity ahead--Feast, give, receive, and celebrate!

(and yes, I do think "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night" make better seasonal lullaby tunes than "Jingle Bell Rock"...maybe until my son starts asking me what "round yon virgin" means!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406035 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements