Topic Options
#29219 - 03/01/04 12:47 AM Your Courage
calgarysatanic Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta Canada
Good evening,

In watching posts made by members here, and through research in many books, it seems that one of the foremost traits shown by Satanists is having a cool head in the face of disaster and showing courage.

In a book that I am reading by Bertrand Russel, he states:

"Courage in fighting is by no means the only form, nor perhaps even the most important. There is courage in facing poverty, courage in facing derision, courage in facing the hostility of one's own herd.In these, the bravest soldirers are often lamentably deficient. Above all there is the courageto think calmly and rationally in the face of danger, and to control the impulse of panic fear or panic rage."

I know of a native man who was thrown out of the house at the age of 12. He fought in the streets for basic needs like food and clothes. When underage (17) years old, he landed a job as bar manager at our roughest and seediest hotel bar in town. He fought by ripping off ears, biting noses off, crushing throats, and stabbing people with whatever was handy at the time. He led a life of drugs, alchohol, fighting, resuting in him killing two people and turning one into a quadriplegic. He knows the killers of four other people. His face and throat are slashed and scarred horribly, his scalp has wood and glass under the skin, and he has three gunshot wounds to the abdomen.

He heard through the grapevine that he was a father. After getting the papers for custody, he retrieved his son who was sleeping on newspapers on the floor of a crackhouse covered in rashes and his own defecation. The four men who tried to stop him with two baseball bats and two knives were left unable to stand. My friend left with his child.

He decided he had a choice between being the toughest streetfighter in the city, or being a father to his son.

After recieving a grant for a student loan, and living with a friend, he went to college and recieved a degree in Sociology. He now works for a local community outreach company, drives the exit outreach truck to get the prostitutes off the street, gets aid, clothes, education, jobs, and living quarters for people (and children) in need. He is a very proud father and is raising a great son with the environment a child should have.

This friend of mine faced odds that would crush most men, but he did whatever he had to do to be a real man and a father that deserves and commands respect. I have never seen courage and determination like this.

Do you have any people in your life including yourself that have shown incredible courage or been a role model for you by showing an act of courage?

How do you rate courage?

Do you rate one kind of courage higher than another kind?

HS!!!

#29220 - 03/01/04 11:19 AM Re: Your Courage [Re: calgarysatanic]
Xerx Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Italy
Thank you for sharing this story. Your citation reveals you are a true Satanist.
In comparison to this man I feel me a coward.

HS!
Xerx

#29221 - 03/01/04 01:54 PM Re: Your Courage [Re: Xerx]
Shiboleth Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
yeah really. Next time life gets me down and the odds seem insurmountable, I'll think of that post and that fellow.

#29222 - 03/01/04 03:08 PM Re: Your Courage [Re: calgarysatanic]
Siatris Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern Colorado
Courage is a trait that I believe cannot be rated. It is a trait that someone either has or doesn't have.

A person with courage will be able to think in a hard situation and get them self out of it intelligently. Whereas a person with bravery will just be balls to the wall without trying to change things and just hope it works out to simply "do his duty". Courage = rational, bravery = faith.

I try not to put myself in hard situations to begin with, however if I do find myself in one the mind takes over. There was a recent instance where my life was threatened due to some bad choices of my then girlfriend. I reacted calmly, made a police report, told my parents, and got the hell out of my hometown. Not even my little brother knew where I was. With what limited power I had back then on the street I was able to change the climate from afar so that these people had no choice but to act very risky. I kept an eye on the situation and have since returned now that nearly everyone involved is either dead or in jail now, or on my side.

The point is I had the courage to act responsibly and intelligently instead of going nuts, I didnít act bravely and just try to fix the situation directly with these scum immediately (a good way to get killed or sucked into the criminal element).

Some people would say that high-tailing it out of town is an example of not having courage. But it took a lot of guts to make such a drastic change in my life. I had the courage to use what I had at the time it was needed. A person without courage would most likely have turned to bravery or just given up.

Survival is the highest law, courage aids survival bravery doesnít.

#29223 - 03/01/04 06:21 PM Re: Your Courage [Re: Siatris]
calgarysatanic Offline
CoS Member

Good evening,

I can't agree with you more. I am reminded of a quote I once heard:

"The line between bravery and stupidity is a fine one."

HS!!!

#29224 - 03/02/04 04:52 AM Re: Your Courage [Re: calgarysatanic]
Satanya Offline
Banned

Good Evening,

Courage may not always necessarily be related to rebellion. Courage could always be just another word for Iron Will & Mighty Mind.

#29225 - 03/02/04 10:16 AM Re: Your Courage [Re: calgarysatanic]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

One thing I know that is usually attributed the most to courage is soldiers facing battle, which is in reality, facing the fear that you or someone you know will get killed, and still pressing on. Most awarded the Medal of Honor are those that faced certain death and kept killing (or assisted those who were), which resulted in a spectacular sacrifice and/or event that led to victory. Some of their stories make a mockery of my combat experience, and I salute their pure instinct to not only fight to survive (and the survival of their buddies), but to win.

On a more relative note, as Satanists, we exhibit courage when we decide to deny the shackles society would have us bear, stop entertaining certain sentiments, and truly think for ourselves. After one knows themself enough to with finality say "no" to the herd, it's suddenly a brave new world filled with wonder and horror. This fascinates us and can intimidate us. To face this struggle and venture into that undiscovered country takes courage in my opinion. Some of my most mind crunching and soul searching moments were at such times when I was questioning the very fabric of reality in the face of what everything and everyone around me had been telling me and what I knew and experienced to be true. With the undeniable will and raw strength of our Great Archetype, I overcame in my defiance and arose mightier than before I had ever "fallen".

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." - (E. E. Cummings)...and we, are Satanists!

#29226 - 03/02/04 07:49 PM Re: Your Courage [Re: Satanya]
calgarysatanic Offline
CoS Member

Good evening,

I agree with you.....well said!

HS!!!

Forum Stats
12090 Members
73 Forums
43862 Topics
405449 Posts