Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#293801 - 12/28/07 01:41 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: HiddenHorror]
Auen74 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have read the article several times and read the articles in the links that were provided by Magister Phineas, and nowhere in the article is any supported evidence of this scumbag claiming to be a Satanist. They quoted him saying that he wasn't sure if there was a god or not but this isn't even close to admitting to being a Satanist. Once again the media has taken a story and sensationalized it to suit their own needs and blow things out of proportion.

If I'm wrong about the article not giving any real evidence, I'd appreciate if someone would point out where it says this. I may have missed it somewhere amongst the bullshit.

#293809 - 12/28/07 03:02 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: Auen74]
StellaMaris Offline

Originally Posted By: Auen74
I have read the article several times and read the articles in the links that were provided by Magister Phineas, and nowhere in the article is any supported evidence of this scumbag claiming to be a Satanist. They quoted him saying that he wasn't sure if there was a god or not but this isn't even close to admitting to being a Satanist. Once again the media has taken a story and sensationalized it to suit their own needs and blow things out of proportion.

If I'm wrong about the article not giving any real evidence, I'd appreciate if someone would point out where it says this. I may have missed it somewhere amongst the bullshit.

I had the same thought. Here's the extent of it, from what I can can see: "The teen gunman who killed eight people and himself in a mall this month once told social workers he was satanic and acknowledged that he often acted before thinking of the consequences, according to newly released court records." No direct quote, kind of a "take our word for it" reference.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if the kid did tell social workers he was "satanic". Apparently he came from some kind of Christian background, which he'd become disillousioned about/felt at odds with, and it would be pretty common for a person to label such adversarial/conflicted feelings as "satanic". Too bad he didn't get ahold of the Satanic Bible before going on a pointlessly destructive rampage(I'm almost certain he didn't, as his actions were self-destructive and obviously lacking in insight regarding his philosophical/emotional crisis).

I really despise this kind of media coverage which points to "Satan", or the pot(cause you know those stoners are always taking up arms against mall-shoppers!), or maybe a video game or band as a likely catalyst for this sort of despicable behavior. Confusing symptoms with causes. Of anything I read in these identical articles, the biggest "red flag" for me was the quote by the father who was leaving him in God's hands. Perhaps the kid's welfare had been left in the hands of some imaginary caretaker far too much already...? But, of course, that was a "good" intention on the part of his father. Let's not delve too much into any root causes, when we have convenient scapegoats!

In any case, it's a sad situation when one goes so far astray...but I also echo the sentiment that it was best he offed himself in the process...too bad he randomly took some others with him in his ultimate self-destruction. I really hate it when a person can't get the nerve to kill themselves until they've done something so horrible that they can't bear to live with the consequences(as in the classic case of the guy who kills his family before pulling the trigger on himself). F-ing cowards.

#293829 - 12/28/07 03:56 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: HiddenHorror]
Matthew_Whitby Offline
Banned

Loc: Australia
It's so easy to use Satanism as a poster boy for the consequences and actions of others. Clearly society can't handle the fact that psychopaths randomly go on shooting rampages.

#293839 - 12/28/07 05:54 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: HiddenHorror]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
But WE know that he was NOT. Just reading the Fox article, it said that he often acted without considering the consequences (lack of responsiblity). It also mentioned frequent to constant use of weed and possibly other drugs. (Think of ALL of the times- if you have not read them, you will possibly run across them when the priesthood and the Magistri say no drugs...he had a need to escape.)
He had institutionalized behaviors from being in the court/juvenile etc system. Its how they survive in the system then plays a part in his being sent back to the same system because , at least on the surface, that is not the alleged nature of general society. He was no one in the system . I have noticed that many of these shooters want to be known. Many have a low frustration level-which when coupled with lack of education , lack of looking at possible consequences, as well as poor communication skills , I think, leads to a powder keg situation.

Of course, general society is going to blame the devil- its what is ingrained in them to do. Its what has been taught to them and reinforced since their skulls were soft. Because if society did not have a scapegoat,then they might have to look at themselves, which of course, is rarely done.

#293855 - 12/28/07 07:28 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: SueW]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Society, or American culture, is like a flock of pigeons. Easily frightened and willing to eat the bread thrown from any hand. So let them eat stale bread.

Yes it is sad and amusing, but I won’t stop smiling.

#293867 - 12/28/07 08:43 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: Auen74]
shadowraven213 Offline

"once told social workers he was satanic"

From at least 2 articles.

#293878 - 12/28/07 09:34 AM Re: Scapegoated once again [Re: shadowraven213]
Infgoat Offline

Loc: New York
More stupid people making life more difficult for other people... It's a shame this happened.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405208 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements