Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295744 - 01/04/08 12:32 PM Healthy vs. Tasty
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
So, I don't know if anyone's started something like this before. Sorry if it's a copy of another thread. I'm also a bit shy about starting any topic, but I decided that since it's interesting to me, there's a possibility someone will respond. Ha, if not, and if this seems like a silly random and endlessly pointless post to you... it's not my loss, hey? ;\)

. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, a decent amount of carbs if it's stuffed with good-for-you stuff, and barely any meat or dairy.
. My day tends to start with a pancake/half bagel/half muffin or some such, along with a cup of Bolthouse Farms (usually Green Goodness, which has all sorts of algae and healthy crud in it, and tasted kind of like lemony apple/pear juice).
. My lunch is usually either soup and salad or a really good sandwich and salad, and sometimes a salad with my homemade dressing along with some cut and steamed veggies with lemon and pepper on them; I also always have a glass of low fat milk with lunch.
. Snack could be anything I crave. I let myself go during snack time -- it could be a half cup of ice cream if I want!
. Dinner depends on whether I'm eating out, at home (with my family for another six months; when I start college it could be rent-free... we're still debating options), or at someone's house ... but if it isn't pretty healthy, I take tiny portions of everything.

I apologize if this topic is strange or funky. ;\) I love food, but I love being a size six... it's a difficult balance to maintain, and I have no doubt that in ten years I'll give up on it entirely and just be one very fat and VERY happy lady.

So... I was just wondering how far the indulgence vs. reward/consequence scale ranges here. And I do happen to like talking about food, because I LOVE cooking and making new recipes... and if you've got any favorites you feel the urge to share, I'm always open for them. \:\)

Now! What sorts of snackages do you snack upon? If you don't mind me asking.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#295749 - 01/04/08 12:51 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I am lucky, in that most of what I enjoy is considered healthy. I generally do not like sweets; and, I often eat a salad for “desert”. I enjoy salty foods…olives, caviar and anchovies. I also enjoy hot food. This often causes me pain.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#295756 - 01/04/08 01:19 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
There is no need for excuses here, this is a important topic.

About me? Well I eat very much like a bear does; whatever gets too close. Had I not chosen to workout as much as I do, my body would be very fat indeed.

#295757 - 01/04/08 01:38 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Mr Avarice]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Gluttony, my favorite sin!

Yet I'm also not one to constantly eat "junk" food either. My diet consists of good, fullfilling meals (Pork Chops, Lemon Chicken), with a snack in between here and there (usually nuts, dried fruit, or dark chocolate). The only "fast food" I eat is Pizza, Hot Dogs, Charcoal Burgers, Enchiladas, etc.

Only on rare occasions would I crack open a bag of chips, popcorn, or beef jerky. And I don't usually go for excessive sweets.

#295760 - 01/04/08 01:48 PM Snacks! [Re: farjalikhali]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I am a cookie monster. I can't get enough. Jelly beans are fantastic and Easter is dangerous for me.

I've found that eating baby carrots really gets rid of my cookie jones and a few handfuls of small tomatoes takes care of the jelly bean urge.

One of my favorite snacks involves melting marshmallows, chocolate chips and peanut butter mixed with animal crackers poured over ice cream. I can't do that too often though... have to watch my boyish figure.

#295761 - 01/04/08 02:10 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

As far as food is concerned, I'm not a health nut in the least. I have a high metabolic rate and can pretty much eat everything on the menu and not gain an ounce.

I prefer taste more than anything else. I can't eat anything that taste like ass.

My day starts off with a Red Bull. I'm not a morning, breakfast, coffee and donut type of guy. I prefer to start eating in the afternoon. When that happens, it's usually burritos and Hot Pockets. When I get home at night, it's probably fried chicken, fries, cheeseburger or spagetti.

Snacks include Cheeze It's, Cooler Ranch Doritos, or the Kettle brand chips. Preferably sea salt and vinegar flavored.

Not really into sweets. Even though I enjoy ice cream every once in a while. I never order desert at a restaurant. The sweetest thing I can possibly have is soda with my meal.

Damn I'm hungry now.

HS!

#295769 - 01/04/08 03:03 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Callier]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Callier
I can't eat anything that taste like ass.

...Nope...wrong forum...

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#295773 - 01/04/08 03:26 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Eating healthy isn't an issue for me as I naturally do it, and I'm extremely happy with it and the way it makes me feel. Being a vegan has that benefit, but I can still indulge in some sugary, fattening, or generally "junk" food as well.

But overall I can be extremely happy with a salad or a plate of steamed vegetables, which is usually what I have at work.

Of course, it is nice to also have meals that are heavily processed like the lasagna I make, veggie burgers or vegan pad thai.

But here's my view on it: don't worry about your choice of food being Satanic. If it makes you happy, you're not depriving yourself of something you want more, and it generally makes you feel good, then that's just fine and dandy!

#295788 - 01/04/08 04:47 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Philotechnic]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm certainly thicker around the mid-section than I would like to be, and I do exercise now considering I have gotten sick of being referred to as being "snuggly" (aka chubby enough to be really warm at night, but not so chubby that sexually repulsive).

I just stick with the advice I got from my kick boxing instructor who made me feel her "buns of steel" that if you exercise five times a week with high impact cardio, you can eat whatever you want. Sex is a good substitute for kickboxing, I have noticed.

But, you do have to remember, that just because food is healthy, doesnt mean it has to taste bad.

#295807 - 01/04/08 07:47 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Interesting topic. Food comes up on a pretty regular basis, but I don't recall seeing this particular side of it discussed.

Quote:
I love food, but I love being a size six... it's a difficult balance to maintain, and I have no doubt that in ten years I'll give up on it entirely and just be one very fat and VERY happy lady.

Let's hear you say that in ten years. Speaking as a geezer at the ripe old age of 31, I have no intention of giving up and turning into a hambeast anytime soon.

For the first twenty-five or so of those years, I was one of those folks that could (and often did) live the life of junk food and no exercise, while still somehow staying slim and healthy. But all of a sudden that changed (I think my body finally concluded that it was done growing), and I found myself blimping out. Eventually I decided that enough was enough and took charge of the situation.

Weight gain or loss is actually quite simple -- eat 3500 more calories than you burn, and you gain a pound of fat. Burn 3500 more than you eat, and you lose a pound of fat. It's really as simple as that. So limiting yourself to somewhere in the vicinity of 1200 calories a day brings the weight off at the nice safe rate of a couple of pounds a week, depending on your normal burn rate.

The thing is, if you're limiting your calories, you're going to gravitate to the stuff that has the most bulk and flavor for the fewest calories... which will naturally tend to steer you to healthier stuff anyway. I went exploring in the vegetable aisle for the first time, with wonderful results. Well, except for that one unfortunate incident involving fresh ginger. You see, I hadn't known that you should only use little tiny bits of it and not great big hunks. (Who'd have thought that a salad could be physically painful?)

I've stayed in the habit of eating much healthier stuff than I did five or ten years ago, plus I've taken up cycling in a more serious way, which gives me a bigger "calorie budget" to play with anyway. And so it's not a problem to indulge in a triple-bypass-burger pretty much anytime I feel like it -- the rest of my lifestyle is more than enough to counteract it.

-Chess

#295814 - 01/04/08 08:57 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Chess]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
 Quote:
(Who'd have thought that a salad could be physically painful?)

No pain, no gain.

Seriously though Chess, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to put them to good use as soon as I've killed this here chocolate bar...

#295818 - 01/04/08 09:13 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Mr Avarice]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Sometimes I find simple food to be VERY enjoyable and indulgent.

Salad to me is indulgent because it's harder to keep and I like to get a lot of ingredients for it, including avocados, radishes and other items which would be specific for the salad alone. While other meals I make are cheap and easy to keep and have ingredients, which if left over, could be used for other meals.

And you can be indulgent on a budget as well! (It's quick and vegan too!)

Case in point:
1 box of Duncan Hine's Devil's Food Cake mix
1 can of dark cola (Root Beer works great!)
1 can of cheap dark chocolate icing (watch for animal fats)

Mix, add to a baking pan or glass and bake for the specific time on the back of the box. Ice when cooled and eat like there is no tomorrow!

#295833 - 01/04/08 10:02 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I enjoy healthy foods as well. Fresh made fruit juice in the morning can be quite the energy boost and it tastes delicious. It can be difficult to resist foods high in cholesterol and fructose syrups because they taste so damn good. The thought of heart disease and diabetes is enough for me to at least moderate what I put in my gut to a certain degree.

#295837 - 01/04/08 10:14 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
I normally eat pretty well, not because I'm a health nut, but because of vanity. I made the anti-resolution for New Years - no health conscious eating or recording my intake and exercise. So I've pretty much been eating whatever I want to. While it's a nice change to eat the "forbidden" junk, it actually makes me feel bad (tired, stomach ache, etc.). So I'm ready to get back to the healthy eating lifestyle (but I will continue to indulge in Chipotle once a week).

P.S. It's estimated that people burn around 100 calories during sex. So you may want to hit the gym too ... or just use it as an excuse for adding a lot more sex to your life (it's for health reasons, right?) ... you pick

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#295838 - 01/04/08 10:19 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: AurEum]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
 Originally Posted By: ealaiontoir

P.S. It's estimated that people burn around 100 calories during sex.

My goodness... is that all? Just 100?

Originally Posted By: HoundDog
The thought of heart disease and diabetes is enough for me to at least moderate what I put in my gut to a certain degree.

I had a dream a little while ago that I had plexiglass skin. Can you imagine how differently people would think about food if they could immediately see the effect it had on their insides? Or rather, if everyone else could?
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406362 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements