Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295744 - 01/04/08 12:32 PM Healthy vs. Tasty
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
So, I don't know if anyone's started something like this before. Sorry if it's a copy of another thread. I'm also a bit shy about starting any topic, but I decided that since it's interesting to me, there's a possibility someone will respond. Ha, if not, and if this seems like a silly random and endlessly pointless post to you... it's not my loss, hey? ;\)

. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, a decent amount of carbs if it's stuffed with good-for-you stuff, and barely any meat or dairy.
. My day tends to start with a pancake/half bagel/half muffin or some such, along with a cup of Bolthouse Farms (usually Green Goodness, which has all sorts of algae and healthy crud in it, and tasted kind of like lemony apple/pear juice).
. My lunch is usually either soup and salad or a really good sandwich and salad, and sometimes a salad with my homemade dressing along with some cut and steamed veggies with lemon and pepper on them; I also always have a glass of low fat milk with lunch.
. Snack could be anything I crave. I let myself go during snack time -- it could be a half cup of ice cream if I want!
. Dinner depends on whether I'm eating out, at home (with my family for another six months; when I start college it could be rent-free... we're still debating options), or at someone's house ... but if it isn't pretty healthy, I take tiny portions of everything.

I apologize if this topic is strange or funky. ;\) I love food, but I love being a size six... it's a difficult balance to maintain, and I have no doubt that in ten years I'll give up on it entirely and just be one very fat and VERY happy lady.

So... I was just wondering how far the indulgence vs. reward/consequence scale ranges here. And I do happen to like talking about food, because I LOVE cooking and making new recipes... and if you've got any favorites you feel the urge to share, I'm always open for them. \:\)

Now! What sorts of snackages do you snack upon? If you don't mind me asking.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#295749 - 01/04/08 12:51 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I am lucky, in that most of what I enjoy is considered healthy. I generally do not like sweets; and, I often eat a salad for “desert”. I enjoy salty foods…olives, caviar and anchovies. I also enjoy hot food. This often causes me pain.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#295756 - 01/04/08 01:19 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
There is no need for excuses here, this is a important topic.

About me? Well I eat very much like a bear does; whatever gets too close. Had I not chosen to workout as much as I do, my body would be very fat indeed.

#295757 - 01/04/08 01:38 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Mr Avarice]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Gluttony, my favorite sin!

Yet I'm also not one to constantly eat "junk" food either. My diet consists of good, fullfilling meals (Pork Chops, Lemon Chicken), with a snack in between here and there (usually nuts, dried fruit, or dark chocolate). The only "fast food" I eat is Pizza, Hot Dogs, Charcoal Burgers, Enchiladas, etc.

Only on rare occasions would I crack open a bag of chips, popcorn, or beef jerky. And I don't usually go for excessive sweets.

#295760 - 01/04/08 01:48 PM Snacks! [Re: farjalikhali]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
I am a cookie monster. I can't get enough. Jelly beans are fantastic and Easter is dangerous for me.

I've found that eating baby carrots really gets rid of my cookie jones and a few handfuls of small tomatoes takes care of the jelly bean urge.

One of my favorite snacks involves melting marshmallows, chocolate chips and peanut butter mixed with animal crackers poured over ice cream. I can't do that too often though... have to watch my boyish figure.

#295761 - 01/04/08 02:10 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

As far as food is concerned, I'm not a health nut in the least. I have a high metabolic rate and can pretty much eat everything on the menu and not gain an ounce.

I prefer taste more than anything else. I can't eat anything that taste like ass.

My day starts off with a Red Bull. I'm not a morning, breakfast, coffee and donut type of guy. I prefer to start eating in the afternoon. When that happens, it's usually burritos and Hot Pockets. When I get home at night, it's probably fried chicken, fries, cheeseburger or spagetti.

Snacks include Cheeze It's, Cooler Ranch Doritos, or the Kettle brand chips. Preferably sea salt and vinegar flavored.

Not really into sweets. Even though I enjoy ice cream every once in a while. I never order desert at a restaurant. The sweetest thing I can possibly have is soda with my meal.

Damn I'm hungry now.

HS!

#295769 - 01/04/08 03:03 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Callier]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Callier
I can't eat anything that taste like ass.

...Nope...wrong forum...

#295773 - 01/04/08 03:26 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Eating healthy isn't an issue for me as I naturally do it, and I'm extremely happy with it and the way it makes me feel. Being a vegan has that benefit, but I can still indulge in some sugary, fattening, or generally "junk" food as well.

But overall I can be extremely happy with a salad or a plate of steamed vegetables, which is usually what I have at work.

Of course, it is nice to also have meals that are heavily processed like the lasagna I make, veggie burgers or vegan pad thai.

But here's my view on it: don't worry about your choice of food being Satanic. If it makes you happy, you're not depriving yourself of something you want more, and it generally makes you feel good, then that's just fine and dandy!

#295788 - 01/04/08 04:47 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Philotechnic]
Vestiphobic Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm certainly thicker around the mid-section than I would like to be, and I do exercise now considering I have gotten sick of being referred to as being "snuggly" (aka chubby enough to be really warm at night, but not so chubby that sexually repulsive).

I just stick with the advice I got from my kick boxing instructor who made me feel her "buns of steel" that if you exercise five times a week with high impact cardio, you can eat whatever you want. Sex is a good substitute for kickboxing, I have noticed.

But, you do have to remember, that just because food is healthy, doesnt mean it has to taste bad.

#295807 - 01/04/08 07:47 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Interesting topic. Food comes up on a pretty regular basis, but I don't recall seeing this particular side of it discussed.

Quote:
I love food, but I love being a size six... it's a difficult balance to maintain, and I have no doubt that in ten years I'll give up on it entirely and just be one very fat and VERY happy lady.

Let's hear you say that in ten years. Speaking as a geezer at the ripe old age of 31, I have no intention of giving up and turning into a hambeast anytime soon.

For the first twenty-five or so of those years, I was one of those folks that could (and often did) live the life of junk food and no exercise, while still somehow staying slim and healthy. But all of a sudden that changed (I think my body finally concluded that it was done growing), and I found myself blimping out. Eventually I decided that enough was enough and took charge of the situation.

Weight gain or loss is actually quite simple -- eat 3500 more calories than you burn, and you gain a pound of fat. Burn 3500 more than you eat, and you lose a pound of fat. It's really as simple as that. So limiting yourself to somewhere in the vicinity of 1200 calories a day brings the weight off at the nice safe rate of a couple of pounds a week, depending on your normal burn rate.

The thing is, if you're limiting your calories, you're going to gravitate to the stuff that has the most bulk and flavor for the fewest calories... which will naturally tend to steer you to healthier stuff anyway. I went exploring in the vegetable aisle for the first time, with wonderful results. Well, except for that one unfortunate incident involving fresh ginger. You see, I hadn't known that you should only use little tiny bits of it and not great big hunks. (Who'd have thought that a salad could be physically painful?)

I've stayed in the habit of eating much healthier stuff than I did five or ten years ago, plus I've taken up cycling in a more serious way, which gives me a bigger "calorie budget" to play with anyway. And so it's not a problem to indulge in a triple-bypass-burger pretty much anytime I feel like it -- the rest of my lifestyle is more than enough to counteract it.

-Chess

#295814 - 01/04/08 08:57 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Chess]
Mr Avarice Offline

Quote:
(Who'd have thought that a salad could be physically painful?)

No pain, no gain.

Seriously though Chess, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to put them to good use as soon as I've killed this here chocolate bar...

#295818 - 01/04/08 09:13 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Mr Avarice]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Sometimes I find simple food to be VERY enjoyable and indulgent.

Salad to me is indulgent because it's harder to keep and I like to get a lot of ingredients for it, including avocados, radishes and other items which would be specific for the salad alone. While other meals I make are cheap and easy to keep and have ingredients, which if left over, could be used for other meals.

And you can be indulgent on a budget as well! (It's quick and vegan too!)

Case in point:
1 box of Duncan Hine's Devil's Food Cake mix
1 can of dark cola (Root Beer works great!)
1 can of cheap dark chocolate icing (watch for animal fats)

Mix, add to a baking pan or glass and bake for the specific time on the back of the box. Ice when cooled and eat like there is no tomorrow!

#295833 - 01/04/08 10:02 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I enjoy healthy foods as well. Fresh made fruit juice in the morning can be quite the energy boost and it tastes delicious. It can be difficult to resist foods high in cholesterol and fructose syrups because they taste so damn good. The thought of heart disease and diabetes is enough for me to at least moderate what I put in my gut to a certain degree.

#295837 - 01/04/08 10:14 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
I normally eat pretty well, not because I'm a health nut, but because of vanity. I made the anti-resolution for New Years - no health conscious eating or recording my intake and exercise. So I've pretty much been eating whatever I want to. While it's a nice change to eat the "forbidden" junk, it actually makes me feel bad (tired, stomach ache, etc.). So I'm ready to get back to the healthy eating lifestyle (but I will continue to indulge in Chipotle once a week).

P.S. It's estimated that people burn around 100 calories during sex. So you may want to hit the gym too ... or just use it as an excuse for adding a lot more sex to your life (it's for health reasons, right?) ... you pick

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#295838 - 01/04/08 10:19 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: AurEum]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
 Originally Posted By: ealaiontoir

P.S. It's estimated that people burn around 100 calories during sex.

My goodness... is that all? Just 100?

Originally Posted By: HoundDog
The thought of heart disease and diabetes is enough for me to at least moderate what I put in my gut to a certain degree.

I had a dream a little while ago that I had plexiglass skin. Can you imagine how differently people would think about food if they could immediately see the effect it had on their insides? Or rather, if everyone else could?
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#295842 - 01/04/08 10:40 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Mr Avarice]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
Seriously though Chess, thanks for the advice.

No trouble. If you're interested in further reading, I found an online book called The Hacker's Diet to be a goldmine of good information. I didn't go quite as nuts with the detailed record-keeping and mathematical analysis as the author suggests, but his basic principles are rock-solid: treating weight management as an engineering problem.

-Chess

#295843 - 01/04/08 10:42 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Shade]
Mr Avarice Offline

Nah, that's not for me. I prefer women who show a little skin...

About those Calories...

#295845 - 01/04/08 11:07 PM That's healthy? [Re: farjalikhali]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
 Quote:
I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, a decent amount of carbs if it's stuffed with good-for-you stuff, and barely any meat or dairy.

If you do not consume enough protein each day your body will consume it anyway from other protein ...such as the heart and other fun organs.

If by healthy you mean you are avoiding refined sugar and the lovely preservatives that embed themselves in fat cells to act as biological time bombs, then I applaud your choices.

Many adults cannot stomach dairy and seem to develop lactose intolerance. If that is true for you, then avoiding dairy is certainly wise.

However, protein is required to keep the machine you call your body in good repair according to most of those silly biologists and medical researchers.

Eat enough or your body will eat itself.

Just another example of how well designed these meat machines are.

Room for improvement? You bet.

I would have sacked any engineer who came to me with so many design flaws!

#295856 - 01/05/08 01:23 AM Re: That's healthy? [Re: Nemo]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Many adults cannot stomach dairy and seem to develop lactose intolerance. If that is true for you, then avoiding dairy is certainly wise.
However, protein is required to keep the machine you call your body in good repair according to most of those silly biologists and medical researchers.<<

Indeed.

It is also worthy of note that recent research now demonstrates that drinking skimmed milk after excercise aids rehydration and recovery better than water or isotonics.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#295878 - 01/05/08 07:29 AM Re: That's healthy? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Malakuma Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Interesting you mention this, Dr. My boyfriend just told me the other day to drink milk after excercising. I usually drink water, but will gladly switch. I would be rather upset if I developed lactose intolerance. I need more protein and vegetables, but have no problem with the dairy products.

#295882 - 01/05/08 07:49 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Malakuma Offline

I used to indulge a lot more a few years ago (when I lived in the US). I've always enjoyed the healthy meals my mother cooked...but kept on snacking after dinner or whenever else I wanted. I ate way too many cookies, cakes, chips, etc. But people around me didn't live too long and had way too many health issues. Then my father, only in his sixties died from heart problems. I'm not going to let that happen to myself.

I always thought, since I took after my mother and never gained a pound that I could just keep eating whatever I wanted. But just because I'm slim, doesn't mean I'm immune to heart disease. So now, although I'm not concerned about being fat, I do worry about my heart and all those other important organs. As I type this, I could go for some cookies. ^-^

People here in their 90's or older are perfectly healthy, so I look at their diets: lots of fish, rice, and vegetables. No cookies. So, although I do indulge, I'm pretty careful about what I eat. As much as I love snacks, I also like healthy stuff too. Plus a lot of the food here is fresh and free of preservatives and other nasty stuff.

Anyway...Favorite snack as of late: The chocolate, caramel, crispy, wondrous Wonka Bar

#295892 - 01/05/08 09:24 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
 Quote:
I love food, but I love being a size six... it's a difficult balance to maintain, and I have no doubt that in ten years I'll give up on it entirely and just be one very fat and VERY happy lady.

It's not really that difficult a balance to maintain. If you maintain a doable and well rounded diet, it really shouldn't be work that you eventually "give up" on. That usually stems from long term denying yourself what you love, rather than being moderate about the consumption of those foods.

It sounds like you have a pretty healthy diet. However, cutting dairy and meat is not doing you any favors in your quest to remain trim. Low consumption of protein will just deplete you of muscle, and muscle helps you burn fat even when you aren't excercising. If you don't care for red meat (which can be high in fat) chicken and fish are wonderful staples in a high protein diet.

Carbs are fine, though they should be high in whole grain and lower on starch (white bread, rice and pasta) and refined sugars. I always allow myself a cheat meal a week, where I eat whatever I want, and if it's not that day, I have no qualms about tasting something that looks good to me. I don't deny myself that.

At the end of the day, I try to eat well balanced meals and occasionally indulge in what I crave (cakes and cookies, mostly... also heavy creams and pasta). Being active ensures that I have wiggle room in my food regime.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#295895 - 01/05/08 09:44 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Bruja]
Starless Pixie Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'm trying to figure this out for myself. You sound like you may be able to take the advice of the others who have already commented here, but I cannot.

I have extreme difficulty in controlling what I eat. This has to do with my outer and inner selfs I have come to realise. My outer self is more agressive, more masculine, wants to indulge in the fleshy desires ( in this case wants to eat whatever and how much he wants). My inner self, however, is very peaceful, more feminine, and wants to deny fleshy desires in exchange for spiritual gains.

I know this is all due to my messed up relationship with food that began as a child. I'm planning on getting into therapy once we can afford it (hubby and I both work but we're still paying off some credit cards and he's going back to school). Until then both selfs manage to cancel each other out so my weight is stable .

#295899 - 01/05/08 10:08 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Starless Pixie]
x9x Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Flanders - Europe
You sound like you don't have a lot of things under control + the fact that you seem to struggle with two personalities.
Indulgence in food is great, compulsive behavior is another story.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
|| Benjamin Franklin ||

The lack of money is the root of all evil.
|| George Bernard ||

#295903 - 01/05/08 10:22 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

A large portion of how I treat my body has to do with accepting it the way that it is, and then embracing it.

Yes I exercise three times a week at a gym, and limit junk food but indulge occasionally. Mostly though, I love my body. I've always been a thick girl and I relish my curves. People look (and feel) best when they work with their natural tendencies, and tweak them. Not when they rally against they own body.

#295907 - 01/05/08 10:33 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
 Quote:

Exercise and you'll be able to maintain that size six, while still enjoying the indulgent eating habits that you enjoy. The balance is in activity versus inactivity, not healthy versus tasty. You can eat delectable treats and still be healthier than your average health food junkie, if you simply exercise and stay active. Vitamins and nutrients only help if all of the machinery is working properly. Having a hot rod is hardly meaningful if all the tires are flat and the engine is overheating.

And as you get older, exercise becomes more and more necessary if you want to keep that knock-out figure. Fat cells love aging bodies, particularly the midriff and thighs.

#295912 - 01/05/08 11:01 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Bruja]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
I believe anything Malakuma and Bruja say about staying healthy and beautiful. They are two of my favorite lookers.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#295924 - 01/05/08 12:45 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Minus]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
I was part of a similar conversation on another board and whilst using a weight conversion site to work out how many pounds I weigh this ad flashed up leading me to this site - http://www2.fatloss4idiots.com/1280index2.html .

Put it this way - my bullshit detector exploded on immediate contact.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#295936 - 01/05/08 03:20 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I eat anything that tastes good. I like cooking with vegetables, but rarely eat them raw or steamed or anything healthy.

I generally eat what tastes good with no regard to how it will effect my health for several reasons:

1) I come from a family of people that eat the worst foods imaginable and live into their 90's.

2) I have donated blood after eating high cholesterol meals to discover my body can vanquish most of the cholesterol without effort. (Eating half a pizza and not seeing fat in my blood as opposed to the guy next to me who has all that white stuff in HIS blood after avoiding bad stuff because he was donating)

3) The stress of worry over what I eat is probably more damaging than the foods themselves.

4) I'm not very overweight, I'm 5'4'' and weigh around 150 Lbs. with fairly broad shoulders, I have a 32'' waist, With a naturally muscular physique. I am part indian too, so I have that potbelly that you can't get rid of under circumstances (I've weighted a paltry 120 and it was just as prevalent.

5) I'm still young, but my heart rate is around 60bpm and my blood pressure is phenomenal.

all these factors mean that for now the best thing for me to do is not worry about it and occasionally check to make sure in still in good shape. I guess I am because I bicycled 15 miles on Thursday.

I also smoke about a pack a day. The older generation of my family does also and they aren't suffering over it.

Cancer is non-existent in my family.

#295943 - 01/05/08 04:10 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Adveser]
Mr Avarice Offline

Quote:
Cancer is non-existent in my family.

So it used to be in my family.

EDIT: Thanks, Chess! I've bookmarked the site and I can really say that I like what I've read so far!

Edited by The Black Waltz (01/05/08 04:13 PM)

#295964 - 01/05/08 09:16 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Adveser]
VKat Offline

Loc: Northern California
Not that you will listen to me, but sugar could be your down fall; diabetes. What you eat may not show in gaining fat but can still affect the way you feel. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat too.

When I was exercising for a three year stint my blood pressure went into the toilet and I was tired all the time. Too low blood pressure can lead to low circulation which can lead to loosing some toes.

#295967 - 01/05/08 09:43 PM Re: Snacks! [Re: RandomStranger]
VKat Offline

Loc: Northern California
I tried one of those don't eat carbs and sugars but do eat protein, veggies, and fruits. I did this cold turkey for three months, I felt I was starving the entire time. I was eating all the time, and I did loose weight only to gain it back again later. Quite a few days I was eating a pound of carrots and that did not help either.

I found that it was better for me to have a little bit of whatever it was that I was craving. Funny how most foods did not taste as good as what I thought they would. It dismissed that feeling of needing to eat. If I didn't give in a little I would end up binging which was way worse.

I started exercising instead of eating

#295972 - 01/05/08 10:20 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: VKat]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
I consume about 2 cups of sugar a day so maybe you're right.

I may be relying too much on family history, but my 88 year old great grandmother (and grandmother, and mother) has been doing about the same since they were kids.

I'm from the south and drink around a gallon of sweet tea a day, as per family tradition. My horrible teeth are about the only side-effect of my bad eating habits (i have a partial that looks good and will eventually replace all my real teeth with implants, so i'm not that worried about it. This seems to be genetic as well, as my mother suffers from bad teeth problems and historically most of my family members have had dentures by the time they were in their mid-forties.

I have a lot of problems with crowding though, The males in my family are usually over 6 feet tall. My dad wasn't, he was around 5'5'' like me so I inherited teeth that didn't fit my jaw, so they crowded each other and painfully started breaking each other up top and on the bottom I have two pairs of teeth that are virtually paralell to each other.

My terrible diet is a product of all this as well. Nothing I could have really done about it since I didn't have the money or the legal ability to go see a dentist when I was younger.

#295989 - 01/05/08 11:54 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Adveser]
Saraflare Offline

I am a vegetarian so i tend to eat healthy naturally. I do not like meat at all. I hate the way it looks, smells, and tastes. I just can not stand it. Especially bacon, well pork in general. I have been a vegetarian for about six years now. For me i just feel better. Meat has always set funny in my stomach, and it usually makes me sick. I will not cook meat either it just grosses me out. I absolutely love veggies and fruit. I also love tofu, and peanut butter..not together :p i love eating peanut butter with a spoon, and its good for you. I like sweats every once and a while, but i tend to eat more fruit than sweats. I also walk a lot so when i do eat a lot it really does not matter. Living in Seattle does that. i also enjoy doing yoga and belly dancing. So i guess i am pretty healthy.

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#295991 - 01/06/08 12:15 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Saraflare]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
There is a brand of peanut butter called "Adams" that is completely natural. My favorite kind. I don't eat as much meat as the next guy, usually sticking with chicken and fish, but not for any particular moral reasons; I just enjoy it. I am heavy, and I cannot blame it on anything but personal choice; metabolism is a factor, but my strict regime of two hours of walking everyday when I was younger to compensate all but dissolved when I got a new job closer to home. I gained weight, albeit very slowly, and am not very comfortable as such. I miss being thin, but since we moved into our new place, I discovered recently a gym close to us. Proper diet is of course, important as well, but I could eat nothing but celery my whole life, and still be a fatass if I forgoe excercise. Because of my metabolism, I absolutely require it (and lots of it!) and simply have not been getting enough.

When I was in the Marital Arts...er...Martial Arts, I was very in shape, and able to kick a man in the chin. Now I am able to kick him in the chest, at best. This alone is incentive enough to work out again...having the ability to kick a man in the chin, should the need arise.

#295995 - 01/06/08 12:28 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: TheDegenerate]
Saraflare Offline

Originally Posted By: Phosis
There is a brand of peanut butter called "Adams" that is completely natural. My favorite kind. I don't eat as much meat as the next guy, usually sticking with chicken and fish, but not for any particular moral reasons; I just enjoy it.

I will have to check out this peanut butter you speak of. I love all natural foods. I do not have any moral reasons for not eating meat. I do not eat meat because it does not sit well with me and i just do not like it. There is nothing appetizing to me about a bloody stake or a greasy burger.

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#295998 - 01/06/08 12:45 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Saraflare]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

My girlfriend is the same as you. She loves animals, but doesn't care if a cow or two bites it...she just doesn't want to bite THEM, ever. She will eat chicken, and thats it. No red meat for her, it just grosses her out.

#296024 - 01/06/08 06:57 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: farjalikhali
... but if it isn't pretty healthy, I take tiny portions of everything.

You mean healthful? Vegetables are healthful, but a celery stalk isn't "healthy" unless you happen to find one doing push-ups.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I generally do not like sweets; and, I often eat a salad for “desert”.

Really? I always visualized deserts as being arid, sandy lands myself. For dessert though, I do like sweets.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#296027 - 01/06/08 07:40 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Bill_M]
Malakuma Offline

#296059 - 01/06/08 11:57 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Malakuma]
Scion Offline

And satisfied too - if I had a boyf with a dick that proportionately large I'd be very happy (or regularly in surgery).

Edited by Scion (01/06/08 11:58 AM)

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

#296143 - 01/06/08 05:52 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Scion]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Is Boyfdick some kind of foreign food?

#296346 - 01/07/08 04:27 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: TheDegenerate]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Phosis
Is Boyfdick some kind of foreign food?

I'm pretty sure every culture has its own regional version. ;\)

#296361 - 01/07/08 05:49 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: farjalikhali]
chimera Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA U.S.A.
Hi. "Real" peanut butter separates(Sp?) into oil and solids. Sugar infested stuff doesn't. WE ALL DIE! If your palate and your innards can compromise, chow down... Fiber, bulk helps you dump and stay regular. Carbs are just sugar on the installment plan. Healthy fats(yes, they're real) in moderation are good. One 12 oz. rare steak a week is what the Dr. ordred.
Please don't fret too much. IGNORE oprah, et. al. Pleasure is the name of the game. And I'll be damned to the bishop's private chambers before I'll eat another freaking alfalfa sprout!!!!

#296546 - 01/08/08 10:37 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Bill_M]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
 Originally Posted By: Bill_M
 Originally Posted By: farjalikhali
... but if it isn't pretty healthy, I take tiny portions of everything.

You mean healthful? Vegetables are healthful, but a celery stalk isn't "healthy" unless you happen to find one doing push-ups.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
I generally do not like sweets; and, I often eat a salad for “desert”.

Really? I always visualized deserts as being arid, sandy lands myself. For dessert though, I do like sweets.

Eve chuckles. ;\)

Seriously though, the bottom line of being svelte is simply watching your intake of fat and carbs.

YOU ARE what you eat which would...make Me next to nothing.

I see talk of peanut butter......what is even more wonderful is 'Cashew butter'.

Take a look see at the Food Network and do a search under 'Alton Brown'.

Nuts are good for you, indulge!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#296547 - 01/08/08 10:40 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Evil_Eve]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
 Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve

I see talk of peanut butter......what is even more wonderful is 'Cashew butter'.

Ever try Nutella?

I don't care if it's bad for me... It's damn good with pretzels.

#296549 - 01/08/08 10:46 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Yes. Whenever I would visit Europe I would bring home a few jars.

It's so sweet though....yikes!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#296550 - 01/08/08 10:50 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: RaSc

I don't care if it's bad for me... It's damn good with pretzels.

Sometimes, I don't WANT it to be...healthful (thanks, Eve)...I want decadence...sometimes.

#296551 - 01/08/08 10:51 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Evil_Eve]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

That's what the pretzels are for... to balance out the sweet. Besides, the sweetness is nothing by itself compared to a Nutella and marshmallow fluff sandwich.

You should be able to find it in the U.S. I'm not sure about the local stores, but military commissaries typically stock it near the peanut butter.

#296552 - 01/08/08 10:54 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Yup, it's in regular grocery stores. And it's really good on vanilla ice cream too! Um, of course so are pretzels (good on vanilla ice cream)...
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#296554 - 01/08/08 10:58 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Shade]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Pretzels in ice cream is my wife's favorite. To be honest, I never tried it that way.

#296555 - 01/08/08 10:59 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Shade]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Nutella. Inside wonton wrappers. Fried. Powdered sugar.

High-end elephant ears.

kick ass.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#296557 - 01/08/08 11:02 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Evil_Eve]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Cashew butter? Never heard of it. I'm going to find out if it is available in Britain.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#296558 - 01/08/08 11:02 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: MagdaGraham]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Dear Priestess,

It is very simple to make if you have a food processor, some oil and cashews.

Let Me look up that recipe for you..

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#296559 - 01/08/08 11:03 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Ygraine]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Why do you tempt Me so?

Shame Magistra! \:D

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#296560 - 01/08/08 11:05 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: MagdaGraham]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

If not, try this link.

#296563 - 01/08/08 11:12 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

For some reason, I cannot seem to find the 'nut' episode of 'Good Eats' from Alton Brown.

I did however find the BAM! recipe from Emeril which as is follows:

BAM!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#296572 - 01/08/08 11:27 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Evil_Eve]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

#296574 - 01/08/08 11:31 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

I thank you kindly Sir!

I love this show! I even got My father addicted to it.

On weekdays it comes on at 8PM (two episodes).

I must say that My Thanksgiving was wonderful in part to:

"Romancing The Bird".

I will forever brine My Turkey/Chicken when it comes to cooking. \:\)

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#296576 - 01/08/08 11:37 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Evil_Eve]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

You are most welcome. I too enjoy the show - currently the best on the Food Network, in my opinion. Of course there is my strange obsession with Rachel Ray...

Anything by Anthony Bourdain and Jamie Oliver (coming back to Food Network) is good too.

#296577 - 01/08/08 11:45 AM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Rachel Ray........

Sorry but the census here in Eve family is.....

Rachel Ray is annoying!

Her voice is like a uhhhh well, something going over a cheese grater.

30 minute meals are never aired here.

I really want to like her but she annoys Me with the "Everbody in the pool type phrases".

The reason I like Mr. Brown is the Science of food. I love Science. Alton breaks down (even for the simple minded) the Science of Food.

I have also made mention of another Food Network celeb that I take great stock in (no pun intended) "Ina Garten" The Barefoot Contesson".

Yes, she has the personality of a ROCK, however, her dishes are amazing.

Oh, My best Xmas gift this year?

A Kitchenaid Professional pearl series stand up mixer.

I am doing Diabolical things with it.......

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#296651 - 01/08/08 02:34 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Evil_Eve]
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
I agree with Evil_Eve on the whole Rachel Ray subject. I just want someone to shut her up.

With food I have always been the type to eat everything. Growing up around Mexican food didn't help me at all in that department. I still can't get away from the damn enchiladas and tamales. But after years of eating that food I see the effect that it has on my family. Everybody on my mother's side of the family seems to get heart problems and diabetes. I will attribute the diabetes to my families diet in general. Though I may not be able to escape the heart disease. It is one of those hereditary things.

Either way I have recently began to watch my diet and exercise alot more than I used too. Having copious amounts of beer and either burritos or pizza almost every night had alot to do with my gut that I have now. Though not large it is there. I want to be more healthy in my life. I would rather see my children grow up and get to see some grandchildren along the way as well.

Now when it comes to exercising I have the greatest personal trainer in the world. The U.S. Marines. So I have a steady work out routine that I follow no matter how much it hurts or how badly I want to quit. That is all because I know that it is only temporary. At least the extensive workout routine.

When it comes to the food portion I try to stay away from the sweets as much as I can. But in most occasions I tend to satisfy my sweet tooth with a granola bar or a trail mix with raisins. I still eat most of the same things that I had before. Only in more moderate amounts. Instead of filling my plate with enchiladas alone, I take a much smaller serving and add a salad. Most days for lunch I eat some sort of fruit, some tuna, and drink fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Dinner I usually cook the norm. A good steak or so roasted chicken. So instead of buying the 16oz Porterhouse I settle for the smaller one.

There is no reason why you should have to cut out the food you love from you diet. You just have to control how much of it oyu eat. I do not feel like I am denying myself anything when it comes to food. So keep up the exercise and indulge in the foods you like. Just watch the intake of that food.

#296652 - 01/08/08 02:45 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

My interest in Rachel Ray isn't exactly in the realm of food... if you catch my meaning. It started out as a joke between my wife and I and ended up as a fantasy.

Yes, I know... I need some serious help.

#297202 - 01/10/08 02:11 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: Ygraine]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Ygraine
Nutella. Inside wonton wrappers. Fried. Powdered sugar.

High-end elephant ears.

kick ass.

Y~

Just reading this has made me put on weight.

#297573 - 01/11/08 01:30 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: RaSc]
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
I get what you mean RaSc. She is a good looking woman. My turnoff to her is how damn annoying she is.

#297597 - 01/11/08 02:00 PM Re: Healthy vs. Tasty [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Ah, sweet vindication!

Thank you, Ledbymusic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406361 Posts