Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296785 - 01/08/08 08:39 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: ledbymusic]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
I love the idea of death. It looks so soothing and peaceful. I see it as the end of pain, suffering, and strife that is the life of the animal in this Darwinian world of survival of the fittest. I figure yeah it's an end to joy of course, but only if the glass if half empty.

"Come lovely and soothing death, undulate around the world, serenly arriving, to all to each, sooner or later, delicate death" -Walt Whitman

"Oh the threats of hell, the hopes of paradise,
One thing at least certain- this life- flies
One thing is certain, all the rest is- lies
The flower that once has bloomed, forever dies." -Rubbaiyat

"Only priests and born cowards mourn and weep for death. Brave men face it with approving nonchalance." -Ragnar Redbeard

I agree that the underlying question may be if Satanists fear divine retribution for having been Satanists and atheists. I understand. Abrahamic religions especially, and other religions have devised a real scare tactic. A very sick mind devised and spread this notion of hell. The sickest part is the unfalsifiable nature of it. The notion of an afterlife is outside of the empirical domain. If that is your question, I don't think an all-loving god would want us to suffer through life and then punish us eternally. And everyone is "in danger", because for example, according to al-Qu'ran, anyone who sees the Prophet Isa as divine is going to hell, and according to the Bible anyone who does NOT see this same figure Yeshua as divine going to hell.

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#296787 - 01/08/08 08:46 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Zaftig]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
I'm not afraid of my own death. I'm afraid of my children's death. That's the drawback of being a mom. \:\(
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#296790 - 01/08/08 08:52 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I think this fear transfers to children that you love. As a babysitter, I did become quite emotionally attached to one particular family. I had dreams that I would slip on the stairs holding the baby, or that I wouldn't catch the anaphylactic shock of the peanut allergies in time to administer the epipen. I had to think myself through these dreams. "It's only a reflection of your fears, you are capable, you keep them safe." etc.

Although I'd cared for children with similar problems, I worried only about the kids that I was close to.

#296792 - 01/08/08 09:01 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Zaftig]
RottenBonnie Offline

I saw the movie, "Hotel Rwanda," and the main characters were searching for their two nieces. They were able to be reunited with them right before being evacuated from the country. That movie tore me to pieces because I have two nephews that live a block away. I wouldn't want to leave them behind if I knew their parents were dead. I couldn't even sleep that night after watching that movie! Children are so vulnerable.
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

#296799 - 01/08/08 09:09 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
I am not an emotional person, but sad movies revolving around children will bring me to tears. Especially the ones where a father loses his children and he is helpless to stop it.

I watched the movie, Reign Over Me (Adam Sandler) for a class assignment and I could not bear the part when he related his story about losing his family in a plane crash. \:\(

#296810 - 01/08/08 09:42 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Faded Offline

Originally Posted By: Holland Rocks!!!
Ok people, I'm sure this has been discussed many times before here on this board, but I'd still like to point out the issue of death.

Are you satanists afraid of dying? Do you fear death itself or not? If you fear death, is it the process of dying that you fear, or maybe more the feeling of 'I haven't done enough in my life!'?

How do you all see death?

Bye!

The way I see it, there is no way of knowing and I don't think dwelling on it is healthy or of any real use to anyone. I think that those that dwell on the idea of death have something that they are either running from or they are just not having what they want out of life...in other words they just aren't trying very hard. Live in the here and now and enjoy what you have. Death is far off and it is a very sad thing to dwell on, and frankly not healthy.

#296831 - 01/09/08 12:29 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Faded]
HiddenHorror Offline

Loc: USA
Seeing as the orignator has been "blacked", my whole huge diatribe on death seems kinda pointless now. \:\)

Suffice to say, when you die you won't care anymore. You're dead.

#296842 - 01/09/08 01:14 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Like many here, I don't fear death. However, I have a very healthy respect for death. Whereas I may decide to do something a bit dangerous (lacking fear), I mitigate my risk of death as much as possible (healthy respect). I'm not paralyzed in life by fear, but not stupid enough to become the next Darwin Award recipient either.

But you bring up a very interesting perspective: when it comes to my sons, I'm absolutely terrified of death. There are things I just won't permit my sons to do - like ride motorcycles. It's fine for me, but not acceptable for my sons.

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#296871 - 01/09/08 06:31 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Hell yes, I'm afraid of death! I don't want to die, and I'll do everything in my power to stop it.

Of course, it's not like I stay in a house forever, afraid of going outside for fear of a satellite crashing down on my head. I do things that might be considered risky. Not drugs or random shootouts with the cops. For example, I do boxing. There have been several reports of men who have died in the ring. Do I stop? No. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

It's all about acceptable risk.

#296874 - 01/09/08 06:49 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I see you've been blackened.

I fear death and there is no action that I am not willing to take to preserve my life. As has been said on these boards, self preservation is the highest law!

#296900 - 01/09/08 09:09 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: ledbymusic]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
Fight for life, don`t fight against death.

I don`t want to die, but it`s not something I can escape from.
I want to live my life as much as possible, but as it has been said before - when I die, I would be sorry, but there`s no me left to be sorry. I only hope that when I`m about to die, I can look back at my life and smile.

And I realy feel like satanism can help me with that.
And that that is what life is about - so you can say, I think satanisms point of view when it comes to death is that it`s going to help you think about what you have had - not what you will loose.

#296949 - 01/09/08 02:31 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
shadowraven213 Offline

What about being in harmony with your nature?

Its essential to acknowledge you are afraid of death, there isn't an animal alive who isn't, apart from some people who are deceiving themselves and ignoring their animal instincts, like for instance Christians who actively work towards it.

Until I know my death is inevitable I will continue to be afraid of it in a rational way that keeps me alive.

Ive said it before on these boards in another similar post, I thought Satanism was all about acknowledging mans animal nature and working with it and NOT against it or even ignoring it.

It seems people are split as to weather they do indeed fear death or not, logically since we are all animals everyone should be afraid of death but not to the point that it impedes our ability to live.

For instance (and yes this is hypothetical but indulge me please) a nut pulls out a knife and tells you hes going to kill you, if you aren't afraid of dying you will be less likely to put up a sufficient fight to survive. If however you fear this person sticking that knife through each vital organ alphabetically you will fight like an ANIMAL to survive.

People argue that fear paralyzes you so that you will freeze and be gripped by that fear, I say thats wrong if your afraid then you cease thinking yes but act instinctively to either fight or run and therefore survive.

I would say you are much more likely to stand there if you are unafraid of the consequences of non action, you may in your clear thinking state try to talk to the guy and when that fails you will lack the adrenalin to overpower him in the end.

#297001 - 01/09/08 07:17 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Faded]
RottenBonnie Offline

Wow. I'm not afraid of death, but I am really scared of your avatar! Good work, soldier!

Hail Satan!

#297027 - 01/09/08 08:33 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
Saraflare Offline

I am afraid of death, but its not something i think about often. The only time death really scares me is when i think of my little brother. I think I'm more protective over him then my mother is! I do not think one so young should ever have to lose their life before it begins. For me this is life's most cruelest tricks. I want to live as long as i can. I also have this silly idea that by the time I'm older they may have come out with some age reversing potion haha wishful thinking! I will only be happy to die when i have nothing else to live for. Which I'm hoping this never happens!

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#297035 - 01/09/08 08:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: shadowraven213]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
If I might make a possibly incorrect observation:

I think what you are seeing is a split in semantics, rather than a split in actually wishing to live. "Fear of death" may, to one person, constitute simply fearing the possibility of an afterlife (a right-hand path instilled ideology), and thus to that person they would wish to say they are not "afraid of death" (although they, if they are Satanists, love life).

Whereas to another person, "fear of death" constitutes loving life to its fullest and wishing for physical immortality, and survival, and thus they readily admit to being "afraid of death".

I, personally, am not afraid of the unknown: whether I am dust, or we must be touched by the FSB's noodly appendage after our consciousness ceases. I also love life, and would not go out of my way to do something stupid, but would balance that with taking risks, and would fight like hell to stay alive in combat.

A dietary example would be: I won't resort to a 100% vegetable diet for a few (two to three) measely extra years of life, because I enjoy the foods of Greek and Italian cafes far too much: but I also won't stuff my face full of junk 24/7.

Edited by Darkahn (01/09/08 08:48 PM)

Undercroft

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12105 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405519 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements