Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296614 - 01/08/08 01:07 PM Death/afraid of death
Holland Rocks!!! Offline
Banned

Ok people, I'm sure this has been discussed many times before here on this board, but I'd still like to point out the issue of death.

Are you satanists afraid of dying? Do you fear death itself or not? If you fear death, is it the process of dying that you fear, or maybe more the feeling of 'I haven't done enough in my life!'?

How do you all see death?

Bye!

#296618 - 01/08/08 01:15 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I think your question is interesting. However, your previous posts demonstrate that you have little understanding of Satanism.

I think what you're really asking is not how we view death, but how we view the notion of an afterlife, of perhaps a judgement or retribution after death. Your previous posts lead me to think that this is your true question, and not specifically death itself.

Here's what I think; I categorically reject the idea of any external entity or any notion of a spiritual afterlife. I view my own death as an unavoidable reality of life. At the same time, it's a motivator to enrich my life as I see fit, to fully embrace the pleasures and the pains that make me human. I'm not running from death, but embellishing life. There's a difference.

Edited by lexiphanic (01/08/08 01:17 PM)

#296622 - 01/08/08 01:21 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Zaftig]
Holland Rocks!!! Offline
Banned

Ok, thank you, but in this case I didn't asked this question
related to a so called 'afterlive'.

#296627 - 01/08/08 01:33 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Auge Offline

Loc: Germany
I am afraid of dying. First of all, for no reason but a primal instinct that just tells me to get away from things that kill me.

If I think about it more closely, as I have often done in recent times, I find the thought paradox. Death is bad, because it takes all good things away from me. It is a feeling of loss. But in the very moment that I will lose everything, there will be no "me" being able to grieve the loss. So fear of death is the fear of impending pain, that ironically, allthough death is certain, will never come. At least not for the one who dies.

#296629 - 01/08/08 01:39 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Auge]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
As I get older, I become more afraid of dying, I admit. So much of my life is seemingly behind me--and more importantly, so much of my carefree youth--so many big and daunting things are ahead, and still so much to do and achieve.

I do not wish to die, ever, and I don't understand people who do.

But, if I must die, I hope I finish more writing and art first, forge stronger relationships, have lots of adventures, and therefore leave a stronger, more regret-free legacy. An uncomfortable compromise, I suppose.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#296634 - 01/08/08 01:46 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
shadowraven213 Offline

As an animal I fear death and for very good reason, but not to the point that it gets in the way of enjoying life.

I also don't want to die, technology being such that if there was a way to live forever I would be the first to put my name down.

I will fight against my own death for as long as I possibly can, but that does not mean I will sacrifice enjoying life because that would be counterproductive.

You want to know if I stay awake at night trembling and sweating from sheer terror that the unknown abyss of death might hold?

Honestly no.

Perhaps its because I fear nothing afterwards not even "god" I only fear the end of my life, and I really love my life!

#296637 - 01/08/08 01:56 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: shadowraven213]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I do not "fear" death in the sense that this fear would grip me, or control my life in anyway. I accept death as a stark inevitability, but as a Satanist, one who embraces his life, I despise the idea that my life WILL someday end.

Death is the end, it leads to the nothingness beyond nothingness, the end of conscious thought, and the end of one hell of a party. This could be thought to be a good argument to use AGAINST Satanists, but quite the contrary; Satanism is still about living LIFE to the fullest, and though death eventually takes all things, a Satanist would never let this affect his life. He will party on till the crack of dawn, till all the booze is gone...and he will enjoy every last second of it, until the time comes to pack his shit up, and lay his head to rest.

#296638 - 01/08/08 01:56 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I don't want to die. I'm having a great time and I sure do enjoy life. Of course I think about death. I think about it, but I don't dwell on it. Death will come one day, but until then, I'll enjoy my life and live it to the fullest.

A wise man once said, "Life is the great indulgence!" ;\)
Enjoy it while ya can!

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#296653 - 01/08/08 02:48 PM For those who see this. [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
At a bare minimum read The Satanic Bible for the Satanic perspective of death as explained in detail there by the Founder.

This is not a small nor simple issue and deserves correct and complete study as well as careful thought.

Your life may depend on it. ;\)

#296657 - 01/08/08 03:18 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
In my country we have an euphemism we use to imply someone died: "He won't drink beer again"

I guess that explains it.

#296664 - 01/08/08 03:55 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Old_Pig]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
In my country we have an euphemism we use to imply someone died: "He won't drink beer again"

This reminds me of a line from "Picassos last words" by Paul McCartney - "Drink to me. Drink to my healt. You know I can't drink anymore". I've often thought of it as something I'd say in a note to my friends about how they should handle my death.

I am afraid of dying, obviously, but I find that many of the fears also revolve around what happens before i.e. will it be painful, will I end up being totally helpless and dependent on others and so on. But I'm equally afraid of not having lived, of ending my life with regrets, roads not traveled, things not done - there will probably always be things that could have been done differently, but at least I hope that I won't have any big regrets. And yet at that point it won't matter anyway, because it can't be done over.

#296686 - 01/08/08 04:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: verszou]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
It is a fear-inspiring notion, to be sure. But I must agree with Auge on this one, the fear of death is truly ironic in its nature. For it is a prevental fear and therefore beats its purpose. Although this way of thinking might lead to extremes like ''I don't care if I die now, as I won't care after my demise'', such notions are easily prevented from taking (deep) roots, as it is in the human nature to run away from anything that might cause him mortal harm, be it a direct menace or an abstract one. Slava Satani

Edited by Dead Roses (01/08/08 04:49 PM)

#296760 - 01/08/08 07:28 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Lust Offline

Much like you, I will never know Death.

HS!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#296772 - 01/08/08 07:59 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: TrojZyr]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I'm not afraid to die, and I don't resent the prospect. I will die when I have to die, or when it's right for me to die. Death is always ugly and embarrassing, but I hope to be able to do it at peace with myself and with the universe that brings it to me.

I don't want to die, and will take reasonable precautions consistent with enjoying the life I'm trying to protect. But I'm reconciled to the fact that everybody goes sometime. There are experiences I'll never get to have, and projects I won't be able to finish, but that's what happens.

I live my life doing what I want to do and being what I want to be. And I know how I'll be remembered by my friends and by my enemies.

An important part of how I understand "vital existence" means accepting that I'm a finite creature in a dangerous universe. My time may be limited, so I should live while I can. So I try to be cognizant of the Great Abstinence without letting it overshadow the Great Indulgence that precedes it.

Maybe a way to capture how I feel about death is to say, Death is the ticket price. Death comes to each of us through the operation of the same cosmic forces that bring us every indulgence. To resent death is to resent the condition of all indulgence. If you accept this view, then you have a choice: you can either let the fact of death sour your enjoyment of every pleasure, or else you can let your enjoyment of every pleasure redeem even death itself.

#296774 - 01/08/08 08:06 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: reprobate]
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
I do not fear death. My only fear is leaving this great party called life. There is nothing greater than living your life to the fullest rather that living in fear of whether or not you will go to heaven. I will do everything in my power to avoid death and I have that fateful meeting. Until then I plan to idulge myself in everything I can.

#296785 - 01/08/08 08:39 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: ledbymusic]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
I love the idea of death. It looks so soothing and peaceful. I see it as the end of pain, suffering, and strife that is the life of the animal in this Darwinian world of survival of the fittest. I figure yeah it's an end to joy of course, but only if the glass if half empty.

"Come lovely and soothing death, undulate around the world, serenly arriving, to all to each, sooner or later, delicate death" -Walt Whitman

"Oh the threats of hell, the hopes of paradise,
One thing at least certain- this life- flies
One thing is certain, all the rest is- lies
The flower that once has bloomed, forever dies." -Rubbaiyat

"Only priests and born cowards mourn and weep for death. Brave men face it with approving nonchalance." -Ragnar Redbeard

I agree that the underlying question may be if Satanists fear divine retribution for having been Satanists and atheists. I understand. Abrahamic religions especially, and other religions have devised a real scare tactic. A very sick mind devised and spread this notion of hell. The sickest part is the unfalsifiable nature of it. The notion of an afterlife is outside of the empirical domain. If that is your question, I don't think an all-loving god would want us to suffer through life and then punish us eternally. And everyone is "in danger", because for example, according to al-Qu'ran, anyone who sees the Prophet Isa as divine is going to hell, and according to the Bible anyone who does NOT see this same figure Yeshua as divine going to hell.

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#296787 - 01/08/08 08:46 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Zaftig]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
I'm not afraid of my own death. I'm afraid of my children's death. That's the drawback of being a mom. \:\(
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#296790 - 01/08/08 08:52 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I think this fear transfers to children that you love. As a babysitter, I did become quite emotionally attached to one particular family. I had dreams that I would slip on the stairs holding the baby, or that I wouldn't catch the anaphylactic shock of the peanut allergies in time to administer the epipen. I had to think myself through these dreams. "It's only a reflection of your fears, you are capable, you keep them safe." etc.

Although I'd cared for children with similar problems, I worried only about the kids that I was close to.

#296792 - 01/08/08 09:01 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Zaftig]
RottenBonnie Offline

I saw the movie, "Hotel Rwanda," and the main characters were searching for their two nieces. They were able to be reunited with them right before being evacuated from the country. That movie tore me to pieces because I have two nephews that live a block away. I wouldn't want to leave them behind if I knew their parents were dead. I couldn't even sleep that night after watching that movie! Children are so vulnerable.
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

#296799 - 01/08/08 09:09 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
I am not an emotional person, but sad movies revolving around children will bring me to tears. Especially the ones where a father loses his children and he is helpless to stop it.

I watched the movie, Reign Over Me (Adam Sandler) for a class assignment and I could not bear the part when he related his story about losing his family in a plane crash. \:\(

#296810 - 01/08/08 09:42 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Faded Offline

Originally Posted By: Holland Rocks!!!
Ok people, I'm sure this has been discussed many times before here on this board, but I'd still like to point out the issue of death.

Are you satanists afraid of dying? Do you fear death itself or not? If you fear death, is it the process of dying that you fear, or maybe more the feeling of 'I haven't done enough in my life!'?

How do you all see death?

Bye!

The way I see it, there is no way of knowing and I don't think dwelling on it is healthy or of any real use to anyone. I think that those that dwell on the idea of death have something that they are either running from or they are just not having what they want out of life...in other words they just aren't trying very hard. Live in the here and now and enjoy what you have. Death is far off and it is a very sad thing to dwell on, and frankly not healthy.

#296831 - 01/09/08 12:29 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Faded]
HiddenHorror Offline

Loc: USA
Seeing as the orignator has been "blacked", my whole huge diatribe on death seems kinda pointless now. \:\)

Suffice to say, when you die you won't care anymore. You're dead.

#296842 - 01/09/08 01:14 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Like many here, I don't fear death. However, I have a very healthy respect for death. Whereas I may decide to do something a bit dangerous (lacking fear), I mitigate my risk of death as much as possible (healthy respect). I'm not paralyzed in life by fear, but not stupid enough to become the next Darwin Award recipient either.

But you bring up a very interesting perspective: when it comes to my sons, I'm absolutely terrified of death. There are things I just won't permit my sons to do - like ride motorcycles. It's fine for me, but not acceptable for my sons.

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#296871 - 01/09/08 06:31 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Bogey_Man Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lost.
Hell yes, I'm afraid of death! I don't want to die, and I'll do everything in my power to stop it.

Of course, it's not like I stay in a house forever, afraid of going outside for fear of a satellite crashing down on my head. I do things that might be considered risky. Not drugs or random shootouts with the cops. For example, I do boxing. There have been several reports of men who have died in the ring. Do I stop? No. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

It's all about acceptable risk.

#296874 - 01/09/08 06:49 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I see you've been blackened.

I fear death and there is no action that I am not willing to take to preserve my life. As has been said on these boards, self preservation is the highest law!

#296900 - 01/09/08 09:09 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: ledbymusic]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
Fight for life, don`t fight against death.

I don`t want to die, but it`s not something I can escape from.
I want to live my life as much as possible, but as it has been said before - when I die, I would be sorry, but there`s no me left to be sorry. I only hope that when I`m about to die, I can look back at my life and smile.

And I realy feel like satanism can help me with that.
And that that is what life is about - so you can say, I think satanisms point of view when it comes to death is that it`s going to help you think about what you have had - not what you will loose.

#296949 - 01/09/08 02:31 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
shadowraven213 Offline

What about being in harmony with your nature?

Its essential to acknowledge you are afraid of death, there isn't an animal alive who isn't, apart from some people who are deceiving themselves and ignoring their animal instincts, like for instance Christians who actively work towards it.

Until I know my death is inevitable I will continue to be afraid of it in a rational way that keeps me alive.

Ive said it before on these boards in another similar post, I thought Satanism was all about acknowledging mans animal nature and working with it and NOT against it or even ignoring it.

It seems people are split as to weather they do indeed fear death or not, logically since we are all animals everyone should be afraid of death but not to the point that it impedes our ability to live.

For instance (and yes this is hypothetical but indulge me please) a nut pulls out a knife and tells you hes going to kill you, if you aren't afraid of dying you will be less likely to put up a sufficient fight to survive. If however you fear this person sticking that knife through each vital organ alphabetically you will fight like an ANIMAL to survive.

People argue that fear paralyzes you so that you will freeze and be gripped by that fear, I say thats wrong if your afraid then you cease thinking yes but act instinctively to either fight or run and therefore survive.

I would say you are much more likely to stand there if you are unafraid of the consequences of non action, you may in your clear thinking state try to talk to the guy and when that fails you will lack the adrenalin to overpower him in the end.

#297001 - 01/09/08 07:17 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Faded]
RottenBonnie Offline

Wow. I'm not afraid of death, but I am really scared of your avatar! Good work, soldier!

Hail Satan!

#297027 - 01/09/08 08:33 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: RottenBonnie]
Saraflare Offline

I am afraid of death, but its not something i think about often. The only time death really scares me is when i think of my little brother. I think I'm more protective over him then my mother is! I do not think one so young should ever have to lose their life before it begins. For me this is life's most cruelest tricks. I want to live as long as i can. I also have this silly idea that by the time I'm older they may have come out with some age reversing potion haha wishful thinking! I will only be happy to die when i have nothing else to live for. Which I'm hoping this never happens!

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#297035 - 01/09/08 08:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: shadowraven213]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
If I might make a possibly incorrect observation:

I think what you are seeing is a split in semantics, rather than a split in actually wishing to live. "Fear of death" may, to one person, constitute simply fearing the possibility of an afterlife (a right-hand path instilled ideology), and thus to that person they would wish to say they are not "afraid of death" (although they, if they are Satanists, love life).

Whereas to another person, "fear of death" constitutes loving life to its fullest and wishing for physical immortality, and survival, and thus they readily admit to being "afraid of death".

I, personally, am not afraid of the unknown: whether I am dust, or we must be touched by the FSB's noodly appendage after our consciousness ceases. I also love life, and would not go out of my way to do something stupid, but would balance that with taking risks, and would fight like hell to stay alive in combat.

A dietary example would be: I won't resort to a 100% vegetable diet for a few (two to three) measely extra years of life, because I enjoy the foods of Greek and Italian cafes far too much: but I also won't stuff my face full of junk 24/7.

Edited by Darkahn (01/09/08 08:48 PM)

Undercroft

#297040 - 01/09/08 08:57 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Saraflare]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
 Originally Posted By: Saraflare
I also have this silly idea that by the time I'm older they may have come out with some age reversing potion haha wishful thinking!

May not be silly at all. You never know until you learn about it, right?

Because of some of my interests (history of anatomy, pathology, dissection, mortuary science), folks assume I have an unhealthy, grossly morbid fascination with death. I don't think I do - it is certainly one of the great mysteries and I don't apologize for being curious. That doesn't mean I am eager to die.

As far as an afterlife and all that... I can't remember who said it but superstition brings bad luck.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#297042 - 01/09/08 09:00 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Shade]
Darkahn Offline

To add on to your reply to Saraflare,

Look up a certain enzyme known as: "telomerase". You may be surprised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomerase

Undercroft

#297052 - 01/09/08 09:21 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Darkahn]
Saraflare Offline

Very interesting! So essentially when certain cells divide they lose a small part of their DNA. With telomerase it will allow the cells to divide without losing this DNA, which would let it divide essentially an infinite amount. This could be used to stop aging or slow it down. Very very interesting. Thank you Darkahn.

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#297054 - 01/09/08 09:26 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Saraflare]
Darkahn Offline

You are most welcome, but I cannot take all the credit for it. I had learned of it some time ago in an older thread here.

It has even been theorized that not only can the post-evolutionary aging process be slowed (or the damage of free-radical stopped), but damage may actually be reversed by the proper use of telomerase.

We will see.

Undercroft

#297215 - 01/10/08 04:22 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Darkahn]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
I've lost my father in the war here in 1991. Most of my family, too. The other half due to accidents and illness. My girlfriend died before my very own eyes. My mother is ill. A couple of days ago my grandma (purposely) set fire to the house and herself, and choked to death, the firemen were able to kill the flames just in time to save the rest of her and our house. Afraid of death, are you kiddin' me? My whole life I've known death better than life...

I am 20 years old. 20 years.

Edited by Dead Roses (01/10/08 04:53 PM)

#297223 - 01/10/08 04:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Dead Roses]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

I believe that this topic was discussed in another thread, but I cannot find it at the moment.

Here is a blog I wrote a while back on the subject:

I am not afraid of death at all. For when it comes, I will not be able to know I am dead.

I do not fear ALL of the events or situations that could lead to death. If I did, that would mean I would never drive fast again, or go in a plane, or even play a sport.

I am cautious. I use my intelligence and the resources available to me to preserve the life I live now. And, I use still other resources to CHOOSE to improve the life I have now.

I believe that my "afterlife" will be evidenced by my creations, my relationships I had with those whom I trusted, and the love I had for my family.

Do I welcome death? NO.
Do I fear it? NO.
Do I love my life? ABSOLUTELY.

I am the only God of my kind. There will never be another like me. I am a falliable God, but because of my own nature and desires, I strive to become MY vision of perfection.

I "BLESS" those around me with the brightness of the Black Flame within me! I smile when they mention that they find me fascinating, but they cannot place the reason why.

I want to shout that I am evidence of the beauty of carnality and the human animal in all her sinful glory!

I leave the wish of only the utmost pleasures for my loved ones, and the most painful of existences for my foes.

#297289 - 01/10/08 08:03 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
Not afraid of death. I won't know I'm dead, so why should I depress myself thinking about something that's a long time in coming?

Not wanting to die any time soon, of course.

Desperately miserable at the fact that I will never know and experience *everything* there is to know and experience.

The idea of death causes me to try my hardest, though.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#297454 - 01/11/08 07:09 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: farjalikhali]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I do understand that the original poster of this thread has had his red door painted black, however, I must comment on the issue which is a very important one.

When one is faced with their own mortality either due to circumstances against their control or sudden illness....when one comes close enough to death to smell his breath?

One reevaluates things. One ponders, reflects, and in My case..... becomes very fearful.

When I say close enough to smell deaths breath? I mean just that. I mean a doctor telling you that you were a heartbeat away from dying. I mean a doctor telling you that they have never seen someone so ill, still breathing. Things of that nature.

I AM afraid of death. It is the great destroyer.

The destroyer of families, of laughter, of productiveness.

What ticks Me off about death the most is that it seems to take those members of society that are useful and productive from Us.

So many worthless individuals, child molesters etc. roam the planet and live to be 100 years of age.

However, death is not fair. Death does not play fair at all. The sooner one recognizes this simple truth, the sooner one can plan on cheating the bastard!

There are not many things that I would not do to preserve My shell.

I look to Science and to the future. I enjoy life (even when in pain) life is the ultimate party. Death, the ultimate surrender and personally, I have never been one to give up easy, or without a fight.

One of My biggest fears is that I would become involved in an accident that blows My head apart (therefore rendering possible future Scientific medical treatment useless).

I have taken precautions.

I'm aware and take care of this fragile shell. I do NOT want to know death. I will fight it like Oil Of Olay, every step of the way.

Edit:

I just saw this:

Quote:
I love the idea of death. It looks so soothing and peaceful. I see it as the end of pain, suffering, and strife that is the life of the animal in this Darwinian world of survival of the fittest. I figure yeah it's an end to joy of course, but only if the glass if half empty.

I strongly disagree. It is within every animal to survive. To LIVE to poke death in it's proverbial eye.

I have never understood people who see death as some type of release. I suppose this may be because I enjoy life.

I do not claim to understand other individuals pain, no certainly not, but I also on the same token do not understand those who 'give up' who are willing to roll over like a cowardly dog. I don't.

I am certainly not calling you a cowardly dog, I am simply saying that 'this does not compute' with Me.

I have watched numerous amounts of Television shows that show that dying can be a graceful thing....a nobel thing.

Bullocks!

There is no grace in dying. Dying is horrible. I won't be a part of it (if I can help it). ;\)

Edited by Evil_Eve (01/11/08 08:16 AM)

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#297703 - 01/11/08 06:42 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Evil_Eve]
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
 Quote:
There is no grace in dying. Dying is horrible. I won't be a part of it

That simple phrase hit me in my heart and gave me chills -- and a sense of power and relief, in something so intense and so obvious that it's quite beautiful.

Sometimes deep and meaningful words do that to me.

Quote:
When one is faced with their own mortality either due to circumstances against their control or sudden illness....when one comes close enough to death to smell his breath?

I have had this happen once.

Never again.

Quote:
I AM afraid of death. It is the great destroyer.

I would say that I fear something happening that results in the end of my existence.

However, I only let that concern me to the point of caution -- I needn't worry besides ensuring my safety as far as I honestly can. I juggle thrills and safety, and usually maintain a decent balance between the two.

I cherish survival above all things.

Absolute freedom and the ability to fully enjoy my life only cut a close second.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#297714 - 01/11/08 07:42 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Evil_Eve]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve
I will fight it like Oil Of Olay, every step of the way.

Okay you just killed it with that one. \:D

HS!

#297782 - 01/11/08 10:34 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Saraflare]
Faded Offline

Originally Posted By: Saraflare
I am afraid of death, but its not something i think about often. The only time death really scares me is when i think of my little brother. I think I'm more protective over him then my mother is! I do not think one so young should ever have to lose their life before it begins. For me this is life's most cruelest tricks. I want to live as long as i can. I also have this silly idea that by the time I'm older they may have come out with some age reversing potion haha wishful thinking! I will only be happy to die when i have nothing else to live for. Which I'm hoping this never happens!

On this, there is always something to live for. Even when all you have if your life. This comes from life on the street. If all you have is life then embrace it. Some of my happiest moments have been at the drum circles at the park in salt lake.

#298149 - 01/13/08 01:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Faded]
irchel Offline

I do not fear death. (My own death does not exist, as I am not anymore when "I" am/ my body is declared dead by others)
I do fear the act of dying. And I want it as painless as possible.

The point is that I do think that 90 % of our intelligence is there to protect our own life (it can "switch over" temporarly, this can result in our suicide). Maybe 5 % or less is for reproduction. The rest is wasted. Entropy.

#298431 - 01/14/08 03:30 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: irchel]
Agent6 Offline
Banned

Loc: Australia (past the black stum...
All men are frightened, the more intelligent they are the more they are frightened. Courage is the integrity of strength that allows us to overcome fear.

Death is a currency based system. I had a man explain it to me like this, there's only a certian amount of time we have on this planet, he went out and bought a 1000 marbles and took one out every week. If you make it to the end of the bowl of marbles, you're on borrowed time. Why fret about it anyway, sooner or later you'll KNOW.

- Agent6

-Agent6

It is better to be a live wolf than a dead lion, but still better to be a live lion. A man with a gun thinks he's a lion, a man with a knife knows he's a rabbit.
-Robert H. Heinlien

#298529 - 01/15/08 01:22 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Agent6]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Agent6
he went out and bought a 1000 marbles and took one out every week. If you make it to the end of the bowl of marbles, you're on borrowed time.

You're stupid. And you're banned. Your math only gets you to just over 19 years of age. I hope you're almost there...

#298560 - 01/15/08 06:09 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Trau]
irchel Offline

suppose you were on borrowed time from your very beginning on, no marbles for you... if you don't remove yourself from this world, at least do us the favor to remove yourself from this place

#298615 - 01/15/08 11:20 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: irchel]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Your talking to ghosts there, irchel. "I see dead people!"

#298787 - 01/16/08 12:19 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: irchel]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: irchel
suppose you were on borrowed time from your very beginning on, no marbles for you... if you don't remove yourself from this world, at least do us the favor to remove yourself from this place

Was this post directed at me? If not, you may want to figure out how to post to the appropriate party.

#299319 - 01/18/08 05:43 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Trau]
DexRex Offline

Loc: UK
I fear death, and the manner of it. Not everyone is lucky enough to die in their sleep, painlessly. OFten, they spend their last hours in great suffering after long, painful and debilitating illnesses. There is nothing to look forward to in that and if you are not scared by that, then I envy you.

However, when I left Christianity behind me, I felt a release from worrying what the consequencies for my life would be after my death.

I also fear about the deaths of my loved ones. It makes me work harder to preserve their existence.

The Thai people I talk to all seem to believe in life after death with un-ashamedly no reasoning other than it is in the Buddhist scriptures...

#299328 - 01/18/08 06:22 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: DexRex]
GCaesarWhiskers Offline

Loc: TN, USA
My father, Stanton Lewis G-----, died on January 2, 2008.

While attending the funeral, my youngest half-brother Jared,
told me that when dad had passed, "...he had just finished
his breakfast, he was chatting with the nurse, and he denied
his pain medication, saying that he was okay."

From what I have known of "bio-dad's" disposition over the
years, I believe that he landed on "Free Parking" when he
kicked: quick, no-pain, etc.

I believe that it was Earl Nightingale, "The Strangest Secret"
and "Lead the Field" (among others) who said that "A man
usually gets what he thinks about MOST of the time."

If this is the case, then why not think about the possibility
of life-extension, even INFINITE life-extension.

Using the model of a "Garden", physical death would be the
"weeds"; a gardener gets them by default. If you do nothing
to cultivate and improve the garden, you will always get weeds.

As for my garden, I am far too interested and preoccupied
with producing fruit and dispatching weeds to dwell on the
"quality of death".

"Who wants to Live Forever?"

" I DO! "

http://www.vampiretemple.com

GCaesarWhiskers
And may your dominant mate always be happy to see you

Meerkat Blessing

www.vampiretemple.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats