Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#296614 - 01/08/08 01:07 PM Death/afraid of death
Holland Rocks!!! Offline
Banned

Ok people, I'm sure this has been discussed many times before here on this board, but I'd still like to point out the issue of death.

Are you satanists afraid of dying? Do you fear death itself or not? If you fear death, is it the process of dying that you fear, or maybe more the feeling of 'I haven't done enough in my life!'?

How do you all see death?

Bye!

#296618 - 01/08/08 01:15 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I think your question is interesting. However, your previous posts demonstrate that you have little understanding of Satanism.

I think what you're really asking is not how we view death, but how we view the notion of an afterlife, of perhaps a judgement or retribution after death. Your previous posts lead me to think that this is your true question, and not specifically death itself.

Here's what I think; I categorically reject the idea of any external entity or any notion of a spiritual afterlife. I view my own death as an unavoidable reality of life. At the same time, it's a motivator to enrich my life as I see fit, to fully embrace the pleasures and the pains that make me human. I'm not running from death, but embellishing life. There's a difference.

Edited by lexiphanic (01/08/08 01:17 PM)

#296622 - 01/08/08 01:21 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Zaftig]
Holland Rocks!!! Offline
Banned

Ok, thank you, but in this case I didn't asked this question
related to a so called 'afterlive'.

#296627 - 01/08/08 01:33 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Auge Offline

Loc: Germany
I am afraid of dying. First of all, for no reason but a primal instinct that just tells me to get away from things that kill me.

If I think about it more closely, as I have often done in recent times, I find the thought paradox. Death is bad, because it takes all good things away from me. It is a feeling of loss. But in the very moment that I will lose everything, there will be no "me" being able to grieve the loss. So fear of death is the fear of impending pain, that ironically, allthough death is certain, will never come. At least not for the one who dies.

#296629 - 01/08/08 01:39 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Auge]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
As I get older, I become more afraid of dying, I admit. So much of my life is seemingly behind me--and more importantly, so much of my carefree youth--so many big and daunting things are ahead, and still so much to do and achieve.

I do not wish to die, ever, and I don't understand people who do.

But, if I must die, I hope I finish more writing and art first, forge stronger relationships, have lots of adventures, and therefore leave a stronger, more regret-free legacy. An uncomfortable compromise, I suppose.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#296634 - 01/08/08 01:46 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
shadowraven213 Offline

As an animal I fear death and for very good reason, but not to the point that it gets in the way of enjoying life.

I also don't want to die, technology being such that if there was a way to live forever I would be the first to put my name down.

I will fight against my own death for as long as I possibly can, but that does not mean I will sacrifice enjoying life because that would be counterproductive.

You want to know if I stay awake at night trembling and sweating from sheer terror that the unknown abyss of death might hold?

Honestly no.

Perhaps its because I fear nothing afterwards not even "god" I only fear the end of my life, and I really love my life!

#296637 - 01/08/08 01:56 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: shadowraven213]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I do not "fear" death in the sense that this fear would grip me, or control my life in anyway. I accept death as a stark inevitability, but as a Satanist, one who embraces his life, I despise the idea that my life WILL someday end.

Death is the end, it leads to the nothingness beyond nothingness, the end of conscious thought, and the end of one hell of a party. This could be thought to be a good argument to use AGAINST Satanists, but quite the contrary; Satanism is still about living LIFE to the fullest, and though death eventually takes all things, a Satanist would never let this affect his life. He will party on till the crack of dawn, till all the booze is gone...and he will enjoy every last second of it, until the time comes to pack his shit up, and lay his head to rest.

#296638 - 01/08/08 01:56 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I don't want to die. I'm having a great time and I sure do enjoy life. Of course I think about death. I think about it, but I don't dwell on it. Death will come one day, but until then, I'll enjoy my life and live it to the fullest.

A wise man once said, "Life is the great indulgence!" ;\)
Enjoy it while ya can!

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#296653 - 01/08/08 02:48 PM For those who see this. [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
At a bare minimum read The Satanic Bible for the Satanic perspective of death as explained in detail there by the Founder.

This is not a small nor simple issue and deserves correct and complete study as well as careful thought.

Your life may depend on it. ;\)

#296657 - 01/08/08 03:18 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
In my country we have an euphemism we use to imply someone died: "He won't drink beer again"

I guess that explains it.

#296664 - 01/08/08 03:55 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Old_Pig]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
In my country we have an euphemism we use to imply someone died: "He won't drink beer again"

This reminds me of a line from "Picassos last words" by Paul McCartney - "Drink to me. Drink to my healt. You know I can't drink anymore". I've often thought of it as something I'd say in a note to my friends about how they should handle my death.

I am afraid of dying, obviously, but I find that many of the fears also revolve around what happens before i.e. will it be painful, will I end up being totally helpless and dependent on others and so on. But I'm equally afraid of not having lived, of ending my life with regrets, roads not traveled, things not done - there will probably always be things that could have been done differently, but at least I hope that I won't have any big regrets. And yet at that point it won't matter anyway, because it can't be done over.

#296686 - 01/08/08 04:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: verszou]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
It is a fear-inspiring notion, to be sure. But I must agree with Auge on this one, the fear of death is truly ironic in its nature. For it is a prevental fear and therefore beats its purpose. Although this way of thinking might lead to extremes like ''I don't care if I die now, as I won't care after my demise'', such notions are easily prevented from taking (deep) roots, as it is in the human nature to run away from anything that might cause him mortal harm, be it a direct menace or an abstract one. Slava Satani

Edited by Dead Roses (01/08/08 04:49 PM)

#296760 - 01/08/08 07:28 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
Lust Offline

Much like you, I will never know Death.

HS!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#296772 - 01/08/08 07:59 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: TrojZyr]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I'm not afraid to die, and I don't resent the prospect. I will die when I have to die, or when it's right for me to die. Death is always ugly and embarrassing, but I hope to be able to do it at peace with myself and with the universe that brings it to me.

I don't want to die, and will take reasonable precautions consistent with enjoying the life I'm trying to protect. But I'm reconciled to the fact that everybody goes sometime. There are experiences I'll never get to have, and projects I won't be able to finish, but that's what happens.

I live my life doing what I want to do and being what I want to be. And I know how I'll be remembered by my friends and by my enemies.

An important part of how I understand "vital existence" means accepting that I'm a finite creature in a dangerous universe. My time may be limited, so I should live while I can. So I try to be cognizant of the Great Abstinence without letting it overshadow the Great Indulgence that precedes it.

Maybe a way to capture how I feel about death is to say, Death is the ticket price. Death comes to each of us through the operation of the same cosmic forces that bring us every indulgence. To resent death is to resent the condition of all indulgence. If you accept this view, then you have a choice: you can either let the fact of death sour your enjoyment of every pleasure, or else you can let your enjoyment of every pleasure redeem even death itself.

#296774 - 01/08/08 08:06 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: reprobate]
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
I do not fear death. My only fear is leaving this great party called life. There is nothing greater than living your life to the fullest rather that living in fear of whether or not you will go to heaven. I will do everything in my power to avoid death and I have that fateful meeting. Until then I plan to idulge myself in everything I can.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12155 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405734 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements