Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#296909 - 01/09/08 10:19 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Syr]
Horse Totem Offline

Loc: Devil's HQ. seriously.
I am on my first tour in Iraq with the Army, and thankfully, I have not had any real issues with my religion. I do not shout it out in formation, but I also do not go to any length to hide it. I just do my job, and do it well. I work hard, and it shows. I treat everyone with a professional respect, unless they defer to reciprocate.
As for a list of religions for dog-tags, yes, there is one. Satanism is not on it. You obviously would not have noticed that during recruitment, because you say it was not until your second tour that you found the black book.
Satanism is mentioned in the chaplain's handbook, however, there are only five branches of chaplain service: Jewish, Protestant Christian, Catholic, Hindu, and Buddist. (Correction: Strike Hindu, Insert Muslim)
Most chaplains are quite capable of handling your issues, regardless of your actual religion. These guys joined the military for a reason, and it probably was not to spread the joys of Christianity to the ends of the Earth. Most of them seem to be ultimately concerned with helping soldiers cope, and the best way that they know how is through theological "wisdom."
In the infantry units, every company has a de facto Satanic Chaplain. We call him First Seargent.
It is a fatal mistake to let your superiors know anything about your personal life. As far as they should be concerned, you live and breathe everything Marine, and nothing else.
Well, good luck out there, and maybe try to get transferred to a new unit!

Edited by Horse Totem (01/09/08 10:23 AM)
Edit Reason: Correction to branches.

"Who's we? You got a mouse in your purse?"
-Homer Simpson

#296910 - 01/09/08 10:25 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
Thank you for your opinion. I should have stated in my post that I do not openly profess to everyone that I am a Satanist. But I have no qualms about sitting in a chair and reading TSB when others are around.

#296912 - 01/09/08 10:48 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
ledbymusic Offline

As I stated in my last reply I don not shout out my religion. But I do not hide it. I thank everyone for their input. I see where I faulted in letting my personal views be let know to my higher ups. And as was stated they may see me as being "immature" and still trying to get back at my parents. That makes alot of sense.

I understand where everyone is coming from when they mention why care what is said when I am dead because I will be gone.

All of the replies here have helped me in many ways. I see now the answers to my questions were right in front of my face and I just did not look hard enough for them. Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice.

HS

#296913 - 01/09/08 10:54 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
Reading it in front of them would be the same as wearing a Baphomet pendant or muttering Hail Satan! after the chaplain finished a prayer. It's pretty obvious your interest lies outside their accepted realm. If you are fine with people asking you what you are reading, then more power to you.

Personally, I wouldn't read any of my Satanic literature in plain sight if I didn't want questions. I have a zippered book cover that I use whenever I read in public. Most people assume that only the Christian Bible is worth protecting. I never get questions with a covered book, but when the cover is in plain sight, however...

#296914 - 01/09/08 11:00 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
ledbymusic Offline

Thanks RaSc. I will keep that in my mind to remember to get one of those covers.

On the subject of me reading it in plain view I never thought anything of it. My understanding towards the whole situation is so much better now. I have no problems with anyone asking me about Satanism. But I know now the effects it has on me working in a majority of people in the Right Handed Path.

#296916 - 01/09/08 11:05 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

You're welcome.

Good luck finding one of those covers. I had to buy mine from a Christian book store.

#296919 - 01/09/08 11:41 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Another means of hiding any Satanic material that I found in the military is too simply duck tape the cover. That will gain questions, but it is very easy to lie.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#296921 - 01/09/08 11:43 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Discipline]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

That would be a permanent solution, sure. Removal wouldn't be pretty though.

#296924 - 01/09/08 11:48 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
It depends on the book. The Satanic Bible or even the Devil's Notebook (which I did this too) are cheap. Being in the military you get a steady pay check so just buy new copies later.

Nothing too horrible.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#296925 - 01/09/08 11:55 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Discipline]
ledbymusic Offline

Duct tape is a great idea as well. I currently have a notebook that I have duct taped up so that it doesn't fall apart because it hold important information in it. I also, see how it would hide the text I am readin.

#296941 - 01/09/08 01:01 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: RaSc
I have a zippered book cover that I use whenever I read in public. Most people assume that only the Christian Bible is worth protecting. I never get questions with a covered book, but when the cover is in plain sight, however...

A simple solution to a simple problem, I like it \:\) I'm not in the army, but I do a lot of my reading on the train when I commute to and from work, and I'm sometimes reluctant to read anything Satanic while traveling, because you never know what kind of nutcases you bump into. Thanks for the suggestion.

#297087 - 01/10/08 12:43 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Syr]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
"...could that list you mentioned be the same as the one used for headstones?"

That's a good question, and now I'm a bit curious. I'll see what I can dig up...

Edit: It appears Horse Totem has already done the research!

Horse Totem: I thought I would fall out of my chair when I read your de facto Satanic Chaplain comment - fantastic analogy!

Edited by Trau (01/10/08 12:50 AM)
Edit Reason: posted too soon.

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#297428 - 01/11/08 01:16 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Trau]
HiddenHorror Offline

Loc: USA
LOL!

I love the Satanic Chaplain bit. That was awesome.

But I do agree. Keep your personal life personal. If you let anyone in your chain of command know anything they'll never get out of your ass about it. Also, they see it as an invitation to get involved in EVERY aspect of yout life.

#297453 - 01/11/08 07:07 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: HiddenHorror]
Horse Totem Offline

Loc: Devil's HQ. seriously.
Well, thanks guys. I do what I can!

"Who's we? You got a mouse in your purse?"
-Homer Simpson

#297485 - 01/11/08 09:47 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: SueW]
The Countesss Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Makhpiyá
 Quote:
Focus on staying alive. There will be plenty of time after you are out of Iraq and military to discuss with the appropriate people if you want to be out in the open. Be safe.
Sage words...

As a civilian working for the military, I also see a lot of friends simply never come back - no matter their 'religious preference'. I urge you to consider this advice seriously. Bottom line... keep your head down and come back alive ~ this needs 100% of your focus right now. Soon, it will be time to claim your right and be able to make that statement (and your wishes) known.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
43879 Topics
404435 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements