Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#296768 - 01/08/08 07:45 PM A Satanist in the military.
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
I am not sure if this has been addressed before but I would like to address this and get everyone's thoughts on it.

I am currently in the military and serving in Iraq for my third tour. This is the place where I found Satanism. I was here on my second trip and a friend of my was reading his SB. I immediately became curious and asked if I could read it. He was more than happy to let me.

I started reading it and in a day had finished it and I asked if I could keep it for a couple of weeks. I carried it with me everywhere to ensure that any chance I got to read I could. I studied it for a week when I realized I have been a Satanist all of my life.

I was raised in a small town with christianity running rampart throughout my community. The major denominations were catholic or morman. Since the day I was born my mother forced me into a pentacostal church. I hated it ever since I could remember. At a young age I questioned everything asking how an all loving and all caring God could be so brutal. I always asked why there was so many bad things in the world that God allowed. All I was told is that it is God's will.

I was disgusted at this fact. I didn't want any part of it. But being a child I had no choice in the matter of going to church or not. As soon as I was able to I got out.

When I was 17 I enlisted in to the Marine Corps to get away. Within a year I was in Iraq. I saw all that there was to see hear and it made me hate God even more. So I then became an athiest because I knew nothing else.

After picking up TSB I found something that I felt wsa a part of me all of my life. I felt that I had finally found something that made me who I am. So I started to research more and more. I quickly picked up my own copy of TSB and any other texts I could find. I loved how it challenged my mind in many ways.

Ever since I have considered myself a Satanist. I finally told my family and surprisingly they were very acceptive of ym decision. So that brings me to now.

Being a professed Satanist and in the military is a hard job. I have been passed over for promotions and other things for that reason. I was offended when they said I wasn't allowed to wear Satanist on my dog tag. I considered that a complete attack towards my pride. I am very proud of who I am.

I find it hard to believe that the military will accept Wicca but not Satanism. If I was to be killed I didn't want some chaplain speaking about something I didn't believe. Being here and finding this forum has help me a huge deal.

I would just like some advice from the members of the CoS to help guide me in the right path. I appreciate all criticism good and bad. I look forward to the communication that I will be able to have with fellow Satanists as I can't get it here.

#296769 - 01/08/08 07:49 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
Citizen Varrian Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Utah
Just remember to use Satanism as a tool. You don't owe an explanation to anybody, and as long as you're honest with yourself - hell... that's pretty much all that matters. I always avoid giving information about myself to anyone that I feel may be used against me in any way.

Enjoy your life to the fullest, and be safe over there.

#296771 - 01/08/08 07:52 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Citizen Varrian]
ledbymusic Offline

Thank you for your input Varrian. I agree 100% with you.

#296789 - 01/08/08 08:51 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
Your story is not unique. I am not saying this to undermine your position, only to state that it is similar to many stories found here. Parents usually drag their children to Christianity because they too were dragged. They don't know any better. Don't get me wrong - it was stupid of them, but it isn't worth dwelling over.

As far as professing your religion in the military - it is a calculated risk. The military is mostly filled with right-hand paths. It's a fact and there isn't anything you can do about it. They do not practice what they preach. They fear our freedom and everything that we represent. Do not concern yourself with petty things like Wicca.

My opinion (since you asked) is not to make it known that you identify yourself as a Satanist. We don't need martyrs. Let your true self be known through your actions and deeds. If it takes being the most devout Christian to please your leadership to get ahead, then so be it. Praise Jesus and give me that stripe! That is, unless you have a problem with deceit... one of their sins, I believe.

#296800 - 01/08/08 09:11 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
Syr Offline

Passing you over because of your religion... isn't that against the Bill of Rights? (Quickly looking it up: articles 1 and 14.1 I guess.) Or are there any laws superseding amendments to the constitution?

Good luck over there and get out unharmed!

(Off-topic: how many tours of duty should be done by US soldiers? As far as I know Dutch soldiers have a single tour of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.)

#296802 - 01/08/08 09:14 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
ConquerOrPerish Offline

Loc: DC Metro Area
First I just want to say I am very relieved to know that the military has enough freedom for people to be seen reading TSB LOL and have Satanist on their dogtag without being viciously attacked or expelled. I heard there was a wave of evangelical fundamentalism, with these types going around recruiting people and breaking up atheist meetings.

Then I would like to commend on your service to our country. I don't mean to embarass you but you are a great American and I have a great deal of respect for people like you. The Marines?? Three tours?? Are you nuts? ;\)

I would also like to commend you for having the balls to tell your family and to be openly Satanist at all, let alone in a place like the military. You really understand that you only have one life to live and that you should go all out.

My advice: Self-preservation is the first law of nature. You are trying to be successful and the fittest by any means.

Magus Gilmore talks about having different veneers for different groups of people. He says that a secure person doesn't feel the need to have his identity affirmed by a second party. This is the problem I have with the gay rights movement.

The strong rule the weak and the cunning rule all, and one type of cunning is the chameleon. Many animals are chameleon-like, for example certain fish blend into the ocean floor. So in some instances it would be in your best interest to blend. It can be very seductive depending on how it's done, incidentally, according to Robert Greene, author of the Art of Seduction.

Also another Satanist mentioned how there are no Satanic martyrs because religious martyrdom is retarded. You are not being asked to kill yourself in the name of Satanism. This Satanist (I think it was Vexen Crabtree) said that the Columbine situation where the girl was asked if she was Christian, truthfully answered yes, and was killed would not have happened to a Satanist. A Satanist would have said "what are you talking about?" and shrugged and walked off. ;\)

It's none of their business!

I would say this only in situations involving money and job promotions. I agree with being upfront with the people you have been upfront with, as this reflects courage.

As for your pride, be more proud of what you do, your accomplishments.

Hail Thyself! Hail LaVey!

"Making a difference makes sense only if you are convinced that you have mastered the subject at hand to the point where any difference you might make would be for the better." -Thomas Sowell

#296803 - 01/08/08 09:16 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Syr]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

I'm almost positive that the denial of promotion wouldn't state that he claims Satanism as his religion. All that would be needed is that he wasn't ready for the responsibility, etc. It is very difficult to claim a breach of rights without proof.

#296805 - 01/08/08 09:31 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
From what I've seen and heard the military leans pretty hard on the right-handed paths. One of my friends just went through basic training and the only time they gave him to rest was in church. He's not religious, but he took advantage of the downtime. I think that was a wise decision. If you will benefit from others thinking your xtian or atheist, and will be more likely to get promotions, go for it. You could even stage some "oh, I was so misguided, I'm glad I found my way back" show if it will help. My family, employer, and most of my friends still think I'm Catholic and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Quote:
I was offended when they said I wasn't allowed to wear Satanist on my dog tag.

So much for freedom of religion. Yes, it's unfair, but so are a lot of other things. The way I look at it, if you want to complain about something you should be working to change it. In this case, I haven't been able to think of a good reason for fighting for this change, especially because being identified as a Satanist has caused problems. The only information that I know is what you have shared with us, but based on that I would suggest that you may want to re-think the situation in regard to counterproductive pride.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the military will accept Wicca but not Satanism. If I was to be killed I didn't want some chaplain speaking about something I didn't believe.

I agree, it's silly, especially because a Satanist exhibits more useful qualities in the military than a Wiccan. Does it really matter what a chaplain says? When I die, they can chant about frolicking pink ponies ... oh wait, that sounds amusing ;\) . My point is Satanists don't believe in an afterlife, so when you die, game over. I don't care what happens to my body or what's said at the funeral, at that point those things will be important to my loved ones who are alive, not me.

Thanks for your service & stay safe.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#296806 - 01/08/08 09:34 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Discretion is the better part of valor. Satanism doesn't want martyrs. If it's inconvenient for you to be known as a Satanists by your command, then maybe you should keep it under wraps.

#296820 - 01/08/08 11:01 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

Pride is very important to a Satanist. It also happens to be a big reason why you are a Marine. Satanism, as a tool for personal excellence and strength, will only make you a better Marine. Find what works and does not work for you.

#296833 - 01/09/08 12:36 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Colonel Kurtz]
HiddenHorror Offline

Loc: USA
I never had a problem having Satanist on my dogtag. Hell, you can get them printed at your Personnel shop, or you can just pay the 3 bucks and have them made for you online if its really that important to you.

Maybe the Army and the Marine Corps is different, but I've known probably 5 or 6 people in the Army who were professed Satanists, a couple crimson card carriers, and they were never oppressed. Actually I think that there was a Church of Satan chaplain in Ft. Hood at one point in time. Once again, you have to realize that the armed forces is a huge organization. I'm sure the Marine Corps itself isn't against you, but the members of your chain of command may be. As has been stated eariler, use Satanism as a tool but not a crutch.

As for the whole rights thing-- You sign away your rights when you join the military. You fall under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and have to follow the Geneva Conventions and other Rules of War. The military contract is the only legal slavery contract. ;D

Edited by HiddenHorror (01/09/08 12:48 AM)

#296840 - 01/09/08 12:58 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Satanism and the military are very compatible. However, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, the military has a very large Christian presence. Letting your Satanism become public makes absolutely no sense. You set yourself up for hassles that you otherwise wouldn't have to deal with.

Whether it's accurate or not, there's a perception of instability in someone who claims to be a Satanist. Remembering that there's an enormous conservative contingent in the military, and considering that what most of them know of Satanism is the image of the mopey goth kid, you can see how this perception comes about. Yes, the perception is inaccurate, but the perception exists nonetheless. Don't put yourself in the cross-hairs unnecessarily.

I'm a Satanist, and I have zero problems in the military. Why? Because I don't flaunt it. I don't belch out "Hail Satans" in public, I don't talk about Satanism, I don't wear Baphomets where they can be seen, I don't carry Satanic literature - I just don't draw the heat rounds. There's no point. I keep my religion private. There are very few folks who know that I'm a Satanist. But, for the most part, people don't need to know that I'm a Satanist in order for me to do my job. I don't need to wear my religion on my sleeve.

There's a reason you can't have Satanism on your dog tags: there's a list of religions that can be placed on them. Satanism may or may not be on the list - I don't know. However, it may very well be that the person who was stamping the tags didn't know that Satanism was on the list. If it's that big of a deal to you, I would suggest doing some research, or making an appointment with the Chaplain.

Finally, as you know, promotions up to Lcpl are based on time. NCO promotions are based on time and a point system. For the most part, if you have the points and/or have done the time, you will get promoted. There are certain things that, if on your record, will delay or prevent you from getting promoted. Additionally, if your leadership determines you lack maturity, you will also not get promoted. If you're throwing Satanism around, your leadership may have determined that you are still trying to "shock your parents" and thereby lack maturity. I would seriously consider setting up some counseling time with your first line supervisor and determine what you need to do to get promoted. The answer may surprise you.

Good luck, Devil Dog, and keep your head down.

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#296858 - 01/09/08 03:12 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
Drakein Offline

#296870 - 01/09/08 06:27 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
As others have said, since you asked...No one is getting a free ride with the Christians in power. There is an atheist who is suing the military : http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/62989/

Christians are NOT nice people when they reach that fanatical stage. This gentleman had his life threatened.

As for the Wiccan thing- it dealt with a grave marker and took years. It should have taken 30 seconds for check here. The settlement does not cover any other tradition.

I understand not wanting words said over you after you are gone that relate to them. Guess what, as Magister Nemo said on another thread, you will not be there. Families make the decision . Its for them not you. Its about you. As THEY want to remember you

You need your buddies out there. I would respectfully suggest that you not push it with them. Can you wear religious jewelry under your shirt- maybe a 1" that the emporium sells(they are nice). I am a civilian in business - that's what I do. There are too many incorrect preconceptions out there about us. Focus on staying alive. There will be plenty of time after you are out of Iraq and military to discuss with the appropriate people if you want to be out in the open. Be safe.

#296899 - 01/09/08 09:07 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Drakein]
Syr Offline

Originally Posted By: drakein
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3948329.stm

Typical... a flimsy description on the subject, mostly consisting of selective quoting.

@Trau: could that list you mentioned be the same as the one used for headstones?

#296909 - 01/09/08 10:19 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Syr]
Horse Totem Offline

Loc: Devil's HQ. seriously.
I am on my first tour in Iraq with the Army, and thankfully, I have not had any real issues with my religion. I do not shout it out in formation, but I also do not go to any length to hide it. I just do my job, and do it well. I work hard, and it shows. I treat everyone with a professional respect, unless they defer to reciprocate.
As for a list of religions for dog-tags, yes, there is one. Satanism is not on it. You obviously would not have noticed that during recruitment, because you say it was not until your second tour that you found the black book.
Satanism is mentioned in the chaplain's handbook, however, there are only five branches of chaplain service: Jewish, Protestant Christian, Catholic, Hindu, and Buddist. (Correction: Strike Hindu, Insert Muslim)
Most chaplains are quite capable of handling your issues, regardless of your actual religion. These guys joined the military for a reason, and it probably was not to spread the joys of Christianity to the ends of the Earth. Most of them seem to be ultimately concerned with helping soldiers cope, and the best way that they know how is through theological "wisdom."
In the infantry units, every company has a de facto Satanic Chaplain. We call him First Seargent.
It is a fatal mistake to let your superiors know anything about your personal life. As far as they should be concerned, you live and breathe everything Marine, and nothing else.
Well, good luck out there, and maybe try to get transferred to a new unit!

Edited by Horse Totem (01/09/08 10:23 AM)
Edit Reason: Correction to branches.

"Who's we? You got a mouse in your purse?"
-Homer Simpson

#296910 - 01/09/08 10:25 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
ledbymusic Offline

Thank you for your opinion. I should have stated in my post that I do not openly profess to everyone that I am a Satanist. But I have no qualms about sitting in a chair and reading TSB when others are around.

#296912 - 01/09/08 10:48 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
ledbymusic Offline

As I stated in my last reply I don not shout out my religion. But I do not hide it. I thank everyone for their input. I see where I faulted in letting my personal views be let know to my higher ups. And as was stated they may see me as being "immature" and still trying to get back at my parents. That makes alot of sense.

I understand where everyone is coming from when they mention why care what is said when I am dead because I will be gone.

All of the replies here have helped me in many ways. I see now the answers to my questions were right in front of my face and I just did not look hard enough for them. Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice.

HS

#296913 - 01/09/08 10:54 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Reading it in front of them would be the same as wearing a Baphomet pendant or muttering Hail Satan! after the chaplain finished a prayer. It's pretty obvious your interest lies outside their accepted realm. If you are fine with people asking you what you are reading, then more power to you.

Personally, I wouldn't read any of my Satanic literature in plain sight if I didn't want questions. I have a zippered book cover that I use whenever I read in public. Most people assume that only the Christian Bible is worth protecting. I never get questions with a covered book, but when the cover is in plain sight, however...

#296914 - 01/09/08 11:00 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
ledbymusic Offline

Thanks RaSc. I will keep that in my mind to remember to get one of those covers.

On the subject of me reading it in plain view I never thought anything of it. My understanding towards the whole situation is so much better now. I have no problems with anyone asking me about Satanism. But I know now the effects it has on me working in a majority of people in the Right Handed Path.

#296916 - 01/09/08 11:05 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: ledbymusic]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

You're welcome.

Good luck finding one of those covers. I had to buy mine from a Christian book store.

#296919 - 01/09/08 11:41 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Another means of hiding any Satanic material that I found in the military is too simply duck tape the cover. That will gain questions, but it is very easy to lie.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#296921 - 01/09/08 11:43 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Discipline]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

That would be a permanent solution, sure. Removal wouldn't be pretty though.

#296924 - 01/09/08 11:48 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
It depends on the book. The Satanic Bible or even the Devil's Notebook (which I did this too) are cheap. Being in the military you get a steady pay check so just buy new copies later.

Nothing too horrible.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#296925 - 01/09/08 11:55 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Discipline]
ledbymusic Offline

Duct tape is a great idea as well. I currently have a notebook that I have duct taped up so that it doesn't fall apart because it hold important information in it. I also, see how it would hide the text I am readin.

#296941 - 01/09/08 01:01 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: RaSc]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
 Originally Posted By: RaSc
I have a zippered book cover that I use whenever I read in public. Most people assume that only the Christian Bible is worth protecting. I never get questions with a covered book, but when the cover is in plain sight, however...

A simple solution to a simple problem, I like it \:\) I'm not in the army, but I do a lot of my reading on the train when I commute to and from work, and I'm sometimes reluctant to read anything Satanic while traveling, because you never know what kind of nutcases you bump into. Thanks for the suggestion.

#297087 - 01/10/08 12:43 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Syr]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
"...could that list you mentioned be the same as the one used for headstones?"

That's a good question, and now I'm a bit curious. I'll see what I can dig up...

Edit: It appears Horse Totem has already done the research!

Horse Totem: I thought I would fall out of my chair when I read your de facto Satanic Chaplain comment - fantastic analogy!

Edited by Trau (01/10/08 12:50 AM)
Edit Reason: posted too soon.

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#297428 - 01/11/08 01:16 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: Trau]
HiddenHorror Offline

Loc: USA
LOL!

I love the Satanic Chaplain bit. That was awesome.

But I do agree. Keep your personal life personal. If you let anyone in your chain of command know anything they'll never get out of your ass about it. Also, they see it as an invitation to get involved in EVERY aspect of yout life.

#297453 - 01/11/08 07:07 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: HiddenHorror]
Horse Totem Offline

Loc: Devil's HQ. seriously.
Well, thanks guys. I do what I can!

"Who's we? You got a mouse in your purse?"
-Homer Simpson

#297485 - 01/11/08 09:47 AM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: SueW]
The Countesss Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The Makhpiyá
 Quote:
Focus on staying alive. There will be plenty of time after you are out of Iraq and military to discuss with the appropriate people if you want to be out in the open. Be safe.
Sage words...

As a civilian working for the military, I also see a lot of friends simply never come back - no matter their 'religious preference'. I urge you to consider this advice seriously. Bottom line... keep your head down and come back alive ~ this needs 100% of your focus right now. Soon, it will be time to claim your right and be able to make that statement (and your wishes) known.

#297529 - 01/11/08 12:08 PM Re: A Satanist in the military. [Re: The Countesss]
ledbymusic Offline

I thank everyone here for their kind words. I plan on keeping my head down to get the hell out of here. I have too beautiful of a woman waiting to marry me when I get home. And besides, self preservation is the highest law.

Hail Satan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43875 Topics
405557 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements