Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#298597 - 01/15/08 09:45 AM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
I`m not trying to say that one that follow the laws of society are not an induvidual.

And I`m not saying that everyone is alike, but I know some people, pretty many, I think, I find like 20% a good number, anyways, these are people that before they take action usually not consider the rammafications on their own, but rather turns to what society has allowed, the "unwritten rules", and makes up their mind according to what they consider right according to these "laws".
What I refer to as "moral" is their judgement, I belive I make my decitions based upon what I feel is right and wrong, my moral.

As to saying they are not individuals - I do believe that everyone is unique, and that everyone has this "moral", that`s what I belive makes us different in reality, because it`s our choises that decide who we realy are as a human beeing.
By sheeps, I think of guys who struggle to get like popularity, and then rally behind the most liked people, or like people who believes in what someone tells them, blind trust without questions. I think there`s a difference between those people and the ones that I describe (but they may very often be both of the above), but I don`t think it`s the same. For instance, I used to know this girl, that was realy populare.
She was like the girl every guy wanted to be with and that every girl wanted to be like. And I have to admitt, I was in love with her, to. We had a pretty good conection, but I saw here ALWAYS doing what she thought would be accepted and NEVER what she realy wanted. That`s actually what made me loose interest.
It`s those people I meen - they are different, some are smarter, some are prettier, some are funnier - but they never make their own choises.

I don`t know - it sound better in my head.

#298602 - 01/15/08 10:18 AM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Never]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Never

As to saying they are not individuals - I do believe that everyone is unique,

There is the paradox! Everyone is "special"...which means there's nothing special about being special. As to what I think you are thinking...if we can agree that one stay withing the confines of local laws, yes, there are few who want to think for themselves.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#298604 - 01/15/08 10:37 AM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Never]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Under one category are those who will do anything and everything to fit in, to be embraced by their peers, even if it means constantly being taken advantage of. Such people think they are doing the right thing by "going with the flow". By being themselves, they would be "inadequate" or "foolish".

In another category are those who think they are total individuals who are better than the rest, yet still succumb to other "unique" trends, fads, and ideas. Such people want the acceptance of fitting in just like the follower above, but on a more "slick" or "cool" fashion. Ironically, when called out on their actions, they'll be the first to cry "I'm an individual".

The individual is not afraid to be him/herself while realizing that there's nothing wrong with occasionally going along with another's wishes. He or she is not afraid to compromise once in a while, as long as their best interests are served and their integrity remains intact.

Overall, individuality has a lot to do with self-awareness and being discriminating in the choices one makes. Knowing WHY oneself goes with the flow or against the grain in any situation is important.

#298609 - 01/15/08 10:57 AM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: G.F.V.]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
If you`re saying I`m to obsessed by going against the flow, then you have misunderstood me.

I mostly do as I like, sometimes I stop myself because I don`t want to get in trouble, but mostly, I just do as I want. I dress up pretty much as for what comforts me, but I care alot about having a band on my T-shirts and most of the time, I`ll run around in a Metallica T-shirt. I would suspect, if you don`t know me that well, I`m pretty much normal, but for the people that know me well, I am realy realy weird. It shines through after a while.

I`m not saying I am the most induvidual person on the earth. I am pretty much in need of attention, I like beeing in the spotlight, that`s who I am. I depend to much on other people, and that is one of my biggest weeknesses, sure.
But I make my own decitions. By myself. That`s why I think of myself and most others as induviduals.

#298626 - 01/15/08 12:13 PM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Never]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
As far as clothing goes, why should it matter to you whether or not you always wear a band logo on a T-Shirt? While I think it's cool to sport articles of clothing (or jewelry, or anything else) to support what you really like, you shouldn't feel any less comfortable with yourself from wearing a completely blank or plain colored shirt either.

And there's nothing wrong with liking some attention from others either. But ask yourself: is the overall attention that you seek benefiting you, or is it hindering you and only helping others?

#298644 - 01/15/08 01:47 PM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Never]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Of course we can.

In this case the word individual should be used as a noun, which defines a single person who is considered apart from a society or community, as far as rights are concerned.

It also defines a person that's distinguished from others by a special quality.

Going by these definitions alone, morality is pretty much irrelevant.

#298647 - 01/15/08 02:02 PM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Never]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
So as not to detract from the conversation, I am not saying that you can call people anything you want...except late for dinner. Oops...

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#298650 - 01/15/08 02:08 PM Re: Can we call people individuals? [Re: Callier]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
An equilibrium should be sought out. Being an ''individual'' up to the mountain-top where one meets counter-productive pride, is as bad as succumbing to the stampedo of the herd. One of the basic principles of Satanic philosophy is to go along with what is ultimately in one's best interest. You can rule from the shadows just as well as you could from a throne; it is upon the individual to decide which road suites him better, the highway or the tunnel, being ever watchful of potentially harmful tracks when using the latter, lest one blends with the mass he was trying to manipulate with in the beginning.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43979 Topics
406036 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements