Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#296969 - 01/09/08 04:22 PM The Meanest Mom on the Planet
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
Now this is what I am talking about when it comes to responsible parenting. A parent's job is to set boundaries (yes, even for a 19 year old--especially one for whom they have purchased a car) and if the rules are broken enforce the consequences. As a parent, part of your responsibility is to teach responsibility.

"Responsibility to the Responsible", I say! This kid will remember this lesson for the rest of his life.
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#296974 - 01/09/08 04:35 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
ledbymusic Offline

Loc: SoCal
Bravo to the mother for her actions. She gave her child the rules and he broke them. Her actions were totally justified in what she did.

More parents in the world today need to be just like this. I have two children 6 and 4 and I hold the accountable for what they do. Their mother, the mother and I are divorced, tries to tell me that what they do is okay because they are so young. The fact of the matter is that my children know what they can and can't do.

The problem is that they have two households. One with mom and one with dad. They get away with almost everything with their mother but not with me. I do not allow my son to hit his sister because he wants to and she has done nothing to him.

The end state here is responsibility to the responsible. Congratulations to the mother in that article.

#297002 - 01/09/08 07:25 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
Now that's what I call a Mother!

Many degenerate peers in my college class have had their parents hand a car to them for nothing, and paid their insurance. Some have been involved in a ton of trouble with incidents related to drunk driving or careless idiocy on the road. And what would happen in the aftermath? The parents would go "ohh it's ok, let's give him another chance, people make mistakes".

And the same fuck-ups would just keep fucking up again.

#297004 - 01/09/08 07:28 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
I don't know if I would have gone so far as to take the car and sell it (especially since I don't know who actually paid for the car in the first place, how many times this has happened, etc.). But the ad sure was funny.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#297019 - 01/09/08 08:02 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: Bill_M]
RottenBonnie Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I don't know if I would have gone so far as to take the car and sell it (especially since I don't know who actually paid for the car in the first place, how many times this has happened, etc

"She said she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: no booze and keep it locked."

You'd think the moron could follow TWO rules. But, no, three weeks later: booze. What an idiot. He deserved what he got. AND He's lucky that his mom even cares--he probably never will drink and drive (or have booze in the car) after this!
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

#297061 - 01/09/08 09:54 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Good for her! I'm so tired of seeing parents pacify their children with money instead of teaching them how to become responsible, productive members of society. We need more moms like her!

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#297062 - 01/09/08 09:59 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Citizen Varrian Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Utah
I love strict parenting... especially those with the personality and/or sense of humor to pull off making a public statement as well. Working at eBay, the recent auction caught my eye and has a very similar story.

Teach Son a Lesson

#297073 - 01/09/08 10:41 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
 Originally Posted By: RottenBonnie
He deserved what he got.

Or maybe he just has a psychotic mother that drove him to drink in the first place. Who knows. These sorts of anecdotes are largely published to appeal to self-righteous parents who have no life outside of parenting, and want to vicariously take sides in other people's drama (a past time for many soccer moms, I've noticed). It's almost right up there with the mass-forwarded "missing child" hoaxes. There's no need to take this piece beyond its comedic value.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#297089 - 01/10/08 12:49 AM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: Bill_M]
RottenBonnie Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
These sorts of anecdotes are largely published to appeal to self-righteous parents who have no life outside of parenting

Which I do not, but it is always better when someone else points it out to you.

#297095 - 01/10/08 02:10 AM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
While I like the idea of parents preaching responsibility for real, Bill_M might be right about his drinking habit. We can not possibly judge the son or the mother with our lack of information...

Edited by The Black Waltz (01/10/08 02:11 AM)

#297098 - 01/10/08 03:06 AM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
Assuming the story is as presented, I think this mom is spot-on! It's funny - I'm raising two teen-aged boys, and one of the things I've told them is that my job is not to be liked, loved, or admired. Those are all great side effects. My job is to teach them to be responsible, productive members of society. It's much easier for them to learn these difficult lessons at home rather than out in the world.

This may very well prevent a drunk driving conviction in the future, or worse, prevent someone from getting killed from the child's future drinking and driving. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the post!

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#297156 - 01/10/08 10:47 AM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: Trau]
RottenBonnie Offline

I have a 17 year old friend (like a little sister--she is the same age as my oldest son) who is beautiful, smart and talented. She desperately needs psychiatric medical attention, but her parents don't think she needs it. She tried to kill herself at the end of August. How could they not think she needs it? Well, because if they admit she needs help they would also have to admit that their alcoholic binges might be getting in the way of their parenting. I worry that she won't live to see 18, either through her high risk behavior or suicide.

She isn't the only one out there. There are lots of kids that are in desperate need while their parents look the other way. It makes me angry. Very angry. I don't see it as a "comical anecdote," when a parent steps in and sets boundaries for their kids that are not making good choices. A 19-year old is still highly influenceable--especially concerning drinking and driving.

With parenting the mantra must always be, "don't reward bad behavior." But parents do it all the time because it is easier (in the short term) than taking a stand and forcing a kid to make the right choices. Especially when the parents real priority is alcohol or drugs. That is life and I can't change it, but I can advocate for something different.

#297158 - 01/10/08 11:15 AM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Syr Offline

RottenBonnie: Are there no government organisations to inform about this situation? There's one over here in the Netherlands (not that it functions well, but that's another story), but I'm not sure if there are similar organisations in the US.

On the topic and the E-bay auction: brilliant! This hopefully teached the kids that there are consequences to certain actions.

#297195 - 01/10/08 01:50 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: Syr]
RottenBonnie Offline

Syr,

Thank you for your concern. I have called "CPS," (Child Protective Services) and given my report on the situation after she attempted suicide. Because I am not her parent they took the information but could not give me any, even whether there was an active case on her or not. Of course, when a minor tries suicide "CPS" automatically gets involved.

Initially they went to her father's house and required him to lock up all the sharp objects and alcohol. She was "required" to have visits with a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Since this was last September the alcohol and sharp objects are readily available once again and there has been no follow up on her required psychiatric visits--which she no longer attends. She is fearful that the psychiatrists will divulge information to her parents because she is still a minor.

My guess, however, is that she is so close to 18--they aren't going to do anything. They are just going to ride it out and hope that she makes it to 18. Then she is no longer their responsibility.

#297212 - 01/10/08 04:00 PM Re: The Meanest Mom on the Planet [Re: RottenBonnie]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
I don't understand why everyone is so quick to crucify the kid. I think we've went through this before, you just don't know enough about the story to so quickly and gleefully give this mother the mother-of-the-year award. It does say right in the article, plain as day, that the alcohol was possibly left by a passenger. Now, before you think that I'm also making mass assumptions, let me explain.

From what we have here, it is just as likely that the kid was being responsible and offering an intoxicated friend a ride home. But in the mad rush to demonize the kid as an irresponsible ingrate and raise up his mother to some bumper-sticker Sainthood, I think that part was conveniently ignored. The point is that in this case, there could certainly be another side to the story. I know that in my world, my mother was always right and I was always wrong, no matter what the problem was. I'm simply not willing to pass judgment based on an article with almost no details.

Perhaps he is a little shit head and deserved such repercussions, or perhaps the mother is simply an overbearing cunt. We really don't know, so what this boils down to is a feel-good story for vested parties; obviously. The only thing that I know for sure, from what little the article covered, is that even after the car was sold, she likes the attention she's getting a little to much to let the add run out. So now it's less about a punishment and more about humiliation (her son) and her own good-guy badge.

Call me crazy, but that's how I see it.

Edited by Poetaster (01/10/08 04:09 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406347 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements