Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#298562 - 01/15/08 06:27 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Max Faust]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
I can only answer for the Shaolins, since Ninjas are impossible to contact. ;\)
They don't lose their "Powers" in the ring. But they are monks and not sportsmen, so you won't find them there to often.

It would not hurt you to think either:

These Monks start practicing very early in life, a lot of them younger then 10 years of age.
Then they practice for 2920 hours a year.
Every year.
They earn their strength accordingly.

Don't compare them to stage magicians.

Edited by The Black Waltz (01/15/08 06:37 AM)

#298563 - 01/15/08 07:02 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Mr Avarice]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
 Originally Posted By: The Black Waltz
they are monks and not sportsmen

Bullshit.

They are whores like the rest of us - which is proven by their willingness to travel around and impress gawking audiences with their acrobatic trickery. They need both the money and the attention to maintain their position.

My point is that they aren't fighters.

Put them up there with the real deal and you will soon see what is what.

#298570 - 01/15/08 08:14 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Max Faust]
Mr Avarice Offline

They are Monks.
Acrobatics is just a part of their repertoire.
They do indeed need founding.
And they are indeed not fighters;
They are Warriors.
They are the real deal.

#298579 - 01/15/08 08:47 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Mr Avarice]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

They are Warriors.

If your warrior ass can't fight and conquer other warriors - and thereby prove the validity of your claim to fame, you might as well adopt a whole 'nother label. I admire these guys for the things that they CAN do - which is excellent theatre, acrobatics and, to some extent, a strategy of lesser magic which secures their "supernatural" image. But going all misty eyed over the nonsense and calling them "Warriors" is just ridiculous - and an insult to the ones who are actually out there catching punches with their bodies.

Speaking of martial arts acrobatics:

#298596 - 01/15/08 09:41 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Max Faust]
Mr Avarice Offline

Quote:

If your warrior ass can't fight and conquer other warriors - and thereby prove the validity of your claim to fame, you might as well adopt a whole 'nother label.

But they can fight. That is what Gong fu is all about really...

Quote:
I admire these guys for the things that they CAN do - which is excellent theatre, acrobatics and, to some extent, a strategy of lesser magic which secures their "supernatural" image.

Yes they are quite good with those. But there is some evidence that supports their "Qi powers". And before you say it's delusion, I am not someone who would just take their word for it.
I doubt everything before I see some evidence.

Quote:
But going all misty eyed over the nonsense and calling them "Warriors" is just ridiculous - and an insult to the ones who are actually out there catching punches with their bodies.

Not misty eyed in the least, just stating facts here.
I am not the one who is doing the insulting here.

And those acrobatics are very nice. When i first started training Capoeira, i realised how many moves it shared with Gong fu.
The routine shown 00:16-00:20 is identical with one I used to train.

#298620 - 01/15/08 11:53 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Trau]
John.Doe Offline

Loc: Germany
 Originally Posted By: Trau
I learned a lesson that day, and it had nothing to do with invisibility - it had to do with preparation!

Ok, you think there is a difference in words describing the situation. But what's the difference in the effect?

#298623 - 01/15/08 11:59 AM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Max Faust]
John.Doe Offline

Originally Posted By: Max Faust
My 1000$ bet would be on Fedor Emilianenko any day...

Mine too. But that's in a controlled environment, with a ring, rules and a referee. UFC is sport, fighting is serious.

#298630 - 01/15/08 12:37 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: John.Doe]
Mr Avarice Offline

Quote:
Ok, you think there is a difference in words describing the situation. But what's the difference in the effect?

If there are more then two people fighting...

Edited by The Black Waltz (01/15/08 12:38 PM)

#298652 - 01/15/08 02:09 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: John.Doe]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: John.Doe
UFC is sport, fighting is serious.

Quite so - but we have to draw a line somewhere, right?

"Unarmed hand to hand combat where the objective is to create a realistic situation of testing the fighter's skills, with a set of rules to prevent nasty injuries"... so - no biting, eye gouging, testicle ripping, fish hooks, etc...

If serious fighting is what we are talking about, it is time to bring out the shotgun and the dynamite... ;\)

#298661 - 01/15/08 02:41 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Mr Avarice]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
They are not warriors, they are a historical curiosity.

A man with an assault rifle and a Kevlar vest is a warrior.

#298680 - 01/15/08 03:53 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Max Faust]
John.Doe Offline

Quite so - but we have to draw a line somewhere, right?

I agree. But for me, the line is about intention of the attacker.

In sports events I know about the intention: he wants the points and the title. I know there are penalties if he doesn't obey the rules, and I know there is a doctor next to the ring if things go wrong.

In a "realistic" self-defence situation, I have no idea what the attacker wants. Maybe just attention, maybe fooling around, maybe my wallet, maybe even my life! In my opinion, this differentiates fighting from sports.

But it seems we are getting far off-topic with this...

#298687 - 01/15/08 04:32 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Old_Pig]
Mr Avarice Offline

A man with an Assault rifle, Kevlar vest AND training is a warrior.
A man with just an Assault rifle and Kevlar vest is still just a man. ;\)

#298700 - 01/15/08 05:19 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Mr Avarice]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
A man with an Assault rifle, Kevlar vest AND training is a warrior.
A man with just an Assault rifle and Kevlar vest is still just a man. ;\)

For me a warrior is a man who can be effective and deadly using the combat techniques and weapons of the times he lives on.

Kung Fu is just some cute dance moves that look great on movies... But we don’t live in the magic world of Hollywood.

In real life, your Kung Fu monk is just a tourist attraction. Maybe they were warriors back in Medieval China… but today they are just an anachronism.

Even if all those fantastic claims about becoming invisible or walking on water were real, they would have little use on a real combat scenario.

So a Kung-Fu monk is a much a warrior as a guy in a costume re-enacting a Civil War scene with a replica rifle.

#298711 - 01/15/08 06:48 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Old_Pig]
Mr Avarice Offline

I agree with you. A soldier must keep up with technology if he is to be successful. I am not one who believes in stories of ninjas catching bullets with their teeth or the stories of Karate masters who throw balls of fire at their opponents.
I simply believe that the monks of the Shaolin temple (as a whole) are the best martial artists around. After what I've seen, I don't think it is an overstatement at all.

Hail Satan.

#298713 - 01/15/08 06:50 PM Re: Ninja magic... [Re: Max Faust]
Drock Offline

My 1000$ bet would be on Fedor Emilianenko any day...

Thought this isn't really my preferred fighting style I have to agree...I have met several people who claimed they could draw energy from other people or the earth, or they could put up there hand and summon or halt the wind. There ability to do all of the above stated was attributed to there wicca religion and in no way based on any physical ability. Not surprisingly they all turned out to be compulsive liars and have no place in my life any longer.

Edited by Drock (01/15/08 06:51 PM)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406368 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements