Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297040 - 01/09/08 08:57 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Saraflare]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
 Originally Posted By: Saraflare
I also have this silly idea that by the time I'm older they may have come out with some age reversing potion haha wishful thinking!

May not be silly at all. You never know until you learn about it, right?

Because of some of my interests (history of anatomy, pathology, dissection, mortuary science), folks assume I have an unhealthy, grossly morbid fascination with death. I don't think I do - it is certainly one of the great mysteries and I don't apologize for being curious. That doesn't mean I am eager to die.

As far as an afterlife and all that... I can't remember who said it but superstition brings bad luck.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#297042 - 01/09/08 09:00 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Shade]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
To add on to your reply to Saraflare,

Look up a certain enzyme known as: "telomerase". You may be surprised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomerase

Undercroft

#297052 - 01/09/08 09:21 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Darkahn]
Saraflare Offline

Very interesting! So essentially when certain cells divide they lose a small part of their DNA. With telomerase it will allow the cells to divide without losing this DNA, which would let it divide essentially an infinite amount. This could be used to stop aging or slow it down. Very very interesting. Thank you Darkahn.

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#297054 - 01/09/08 09:26 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Saraflare]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
You are most welcome, but I cannot take all the credit for it. I had learned of it some time ago in an older thread here.

It has even been theorized that not only can the post-evolutionary aging process be slowed (or the damage of free-radical stopped), but damage may actually be reversed by the proper use of telomerase.

We will see.

Undercroft

#297215 - 01/10/08 04:22 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Darkahn]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
I've lost my father in the war here in 1991. Most of my family, too. The other half due to accidents and illness. My girlfriend died before my very own eyes. My mother is ill. A couple of days ago my grandma (purposely) set fire to the house and herself, and choked to death, the firemen were able to kill the flames just in time to save the rest of her and our house. Afraid of death, are you kiddin' me? My whole life I've known death better than life...

I am 20 years old. 20 years.

Edited by Dead Roses (01/10/08 04:53 PM)

#297223 - 01/10/08 04:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Dead Roses]
Fala Offline
CoS Member

I believe that this topic was discussed in another thread, but I cannot find it at the moment.

Here is a blog I wrote a while back on the subject:

I am not afraid of death at all. For when it comes, I will not be able to know I am dead.

I do not fear ALL of the events or situations that could lead to death. If I did, that would mean I would never drive fast again, or go in a plane, or even play a sport.

I am cautious. I use my intelligence and the resources available to me to preserve the life I live now. And, I use still other resources to CHOOSE to improve the life I have now.

I believe that my "afterlife" will be evidenced by my creations, my relationships I had with those whom I trusted, and the love I had for my family.

Do I welcome death? NO.
Do I fear it? NO.
Do I love my life? ABSOLUTELY.

I am the only God of my kind. There will never be another like me. I am a falliable God, but because of my own nature and desires, I strive to become MY vision of perfection.

I "BLESS" those around me with the brightness of the Black Flame within me! I smile when they mention that they find me fascinating, but they cannot place the reason why.

I want to shout that I am evidence of the beauty of carnality and the human animal in all her sinful glory!

I leave the wish of only the utmost pleasures for my loved ones, and the most painful of existences for my foes.

#297289 - 01/10/08 08:03 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Holland Rocks!!!]
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
Not afraid of death. I won't know I'm dead, so why should I depress myself thinking about something that's a long time in coming?

Not wanting to die any time soon, of course.

Desperately miserable at the fact that I will never know and experience *everything* there is to know and experience.

The idea of death causes me to try my hardest, though.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#297454 - 01/11/08 07:09 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: farjalikhali]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I do understand that the original poster of this thread has had his red door painted black, however, I must comment on the issue which is a very important one.

When one is faced with their own mortality either due to circumstances against their control or sudden illness....when one comes close enough to death to smell his breath?

One reevaluates things. One ponders, reflects, and in My case..... becomes very fearful.

When I say close enough to smell deaths breath? I mean just that. I mean a doctor telling you that you were a heartbeat away from dying. I mean a doctor telling you that they have never seen someone so ill, still breathing. Things of that nature.

I AM afraid of death. It is the great destroyer.

The destroyer of families, of laughter, of productiveness.

What ticks Me off about death the most is that it seems to take those members of society that are useful and productive from Us.

So many worthless individuals, child molesters etc. roam the planet and live to be 100 years of age.

However, death is not fair. Death does not play fair at all. The sooner one recognizes this simple truth, the sooner one can plan on cheating the bastard!

There are not many things that I would not do to preserve My shell.

I look to Science and to the future. I enjoy life (even when in pain) life is the ultimate party. Death, the ultimate surrender and personally, I have never been one to give up easy, or without a fight.

One of My biggest fears is that I would become involved in an accident that blows My head apart (therefore rendering possible future Scientific medical treatment useless).

I have taken precautions.

I'm aware and take care of this fragile shell. I do NOT want to know death. I will fight it like Oil Of Olay, every step of the way.

Edit:

I just saw this:

Quote:
I love the idea of death. It looks so soothing and peaceful. I see it as the end of pain, suffering, and strife that is the life of the animal in this Darwinian world of survival of the fittest. I figure yeah it's an end to joy of course, but only if the glass if half empty.

I strongly disagree. It is within every animal to survive. To LIVE to poke death in it's proverbial eye.

I have never understood people who see death as some type of release. I suppose this may be because I enjoy life.

I do not claim to understand other individuals pain, no certainly not, but I also on the same token do not understand those who 'give up' who are willing to roll over like a cowardly dog. I don't.

I am certainly not calling you a cowardly dog, I am simply saying that 'this does not compute' with Me.

I have watched numerous amounts of Television shows that show that dying can be a graceful thing....a nobel thing.

Bullocks!

There is no grace in dying. Dying is horrible. I won't be a part of it (if I can help it). ;\)

Edited by Evil_Eve (01/11/08 08:16 AM)

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#297703 - 01/11/08 06:42 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Evil_Eve]
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
 Quote:
There is no grace in dying. Dying is horrible. I won't be a part of it

That simple phrase hit me in my heart and gave me chills -- and a sense of power and relief, in something so intense and so obvious that it's quite beautiful.

Sometimes deep and meaningful words do that to me.

Quote:
When one is faced with their own mortality either due to circumstances against their control or sudden illness....when one comes close enough to death to smell his breath?

I have had this happen once.

Never again.

Quote:
I AM afraid of death. It is the great destroyer.

I would say that I fear something happening that results in the end of my existence.

However, I only let that concern me to the point of caution -- I needn't worry besides ensuring my safety as far as I honestly can. I juggle thrills and safety, and usually maintain a decent balance between the two.

I cherish survival above all things.

Absolute freedom and the ability to fully enjoy my life only cut a close second.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#297714 - 01/11/08 07:42 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Evil_Eve]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve
I will fight it like Oil Of Olay, every step of the way.

Okay you just killed it with that one. \:D

HS!

#297782 - 01/11/08 10:34 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Saraflare]
Faded Offline

Originally Posted By: Saraflare
I am afraid of death, but its not something i think about often. The only time death really scares me is when i think of my little brother. I think I'm more protective over him then my mother is! I do not think one so young should ever have to lose their life before it begins. For me this is life's most cruelest tricks. I want to live as long as i can. I also have this silly idea that by the time I'm older they may have come out with some age reversing potion haha wishful thinking! I will only be happy to die when i have nothing else to live for. Which I'm hoping this never happens!

On this, there is always something to live for. Even when all you have if your life. This comes from life on the street. If all you have is life then embrace it. Some of my happiest moments have been at the drum circles at the park in salt lake.

#298149 - 01/13/08 01:48 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Faded]
irchel Offline

I do not fear death. (My own death does not exist, as I am not anymore when "I" am/ my body is declared dead by others)
I do fear the act of dying. And I want it as painless as possible.

The point is that I do think that 90 % of our intelligence is there to protect our own life (it can "switch over" temporarly, this can result in our suicide). Maybe 5 % or less is for reproduction. The rest is wasted. Entropy.

#298431 - 01/14/08 03:30 PM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: irchel]
Agent6 Offline
Banned

Loc: Australia (past the black stum...
All men are frightened, the more intelligent they are the more they are frightened. Courage is the integrity of strength that allows us to overcome fear.

Death is a currency based system. I had a man explain it to me like this, there's only a certian amount of time we have on this planet, he went out and bought a 1000 marbles and took one out every week. If you make it to the end of the bowl of marbles, you're on borrowed time. Why fret about it anyway, sooner or later you'll KNOW.

- Agent6

-Agent6

It is better to be a live wolf than a dead lion, but still better to be a live lion. A man with a gun thinks he's a lion, a man with a knife knows he's a rabbit.
-Robert H. Heinlien

#298529 - 01/15/08 01:22 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Agent6]
Trau Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Virginia
 Originally Posted By: Agent6
he went out and bought a 1000 marbles and took one out every week. If you make it to the end of the bowl of marbles, you're on borrowed time.

You're stupid. And you're banned. Your math only gets you to just over 19 years of age. I hope you're almost there...

"Ha, Ha. I've never seen anyone suck as bad at this as you!" SGT Anderson

"There's no duck! There never HAS been a duck!" Meme

#298560 - 01/15/08 06:09 AM Re: Death/afraid of death [Re: Trau]
irchel Offline

suppose you were on borrowed time from your very beginning on, no marbles for you... if you don't remove yourself from this world, at least do us the favor to remove yourself from this place

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43973 Topics
405996 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements