Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#299919 - 01/20/08 04:14 PM Emotional Response From Words
Lust Offline

I watched the movie Donnie Darko, not that long ago. There was mention of the word Cellar Door, being the most beautiful word in the english dictionary. I began looking into this, and have started using different words on people to see how they respond to them. What words have you found that have positive, and negative effects on others?

I have noticed that people hate to hear the word blog.

HS!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#299941 - 01/20/08 05:49 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
I think LaVey hit on something close to this in The Satanic Witch when he was talking about names and how they're constructed by pointing out syllables, roughness or softness of names, etc.

While I haven't found specific words that I interchange with others, I like using words that seem to have less impact on a discerning listener.

This is definitely a fine subject to expand upon when in reference to dealing out lesser magic! \:D

#299944 - 01/20/08 05:56 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Of course, after thinking about this, if after a while you can learn more about a certain person, you can use more emotionally charged words (or avoid using them) to evoke certain reactions.

For example, say I was wanting to charm a lady who just got out of a long-term relationship who was happy to finally be single, I would stay away from words and emotional phrases that would conjure up previous experiences such as love, marriage, etc., and instead focus more on words that celebrate independence like passion, freedom, choice, etc., and of course using other methods of lesser magic.

Of course, words are going to mean more to some people than others and some less.

#299975 - 01/20/08 07:14 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Philotechnic]
Lust Offline

"Of course, words are going to mean more to some people than others and some less."

Some words when used the right way (NLP) should have the same emotional effect no matter the person.

For example, what would Dracula say if his victim couldn't see his eyes?
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#299978 - 01/20/08 07:18 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Donnie Darko...Great movie.

Emotional responses to words...I often have a reaction to names. There are some names for women that literally cause me to melt. A woman to can look like a failed science experiment; but, with the right name...

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#299982 - 01/20/08 07:32 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

Any favorites from The Satanic Witch?

#299984 - 01/20/08 07:42 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
Any favorites from The Satanic Witch?

Sure: Amber, Celeste, Beth

#299989 - 01/20/08 07:57 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

That is interesting. I can see how the name is important for both the male and female animal, but I haven't experienced fascination, due to ones name alone. You must have the heart of a romantic. ;\)

#299992 - 01/20/08 08:13 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
What words have you found that have positive, and negative effects on others?

Here's a conundrum of a word that seems to haunt me... friend. Has had both positive and negative effects on others.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#299997 - 01/20/08 08:35 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
 Originally Posted By: Shade
What words have you found that have positive, and negative effects on others?

Here's a conundrum of a word that seems to haunt me... friend. Has had both positive and negative effects on others.

Agreed.

It can also have a negative/positive effect on one's self.

I can count the true friends I have on one hand, but yet We hear people say the word everyday as if they have known you since birth.

Makes Me uneasy to say the least.

I think of used car salesmen when one would come up to Me after knowing Me/interacting with Me for 4 minutes and saying:

"I feel like We are best friends or:/I feel as if We have known each other for years."

No thanks. Uncomfortable and awkward.

This is not to say that I don't have 'friends' whom I have met online who I am friendly with. The word in and of it's self though is creepy to Me. ;\)

Now, as far as names go from The Satanic Witch, here are the ones I have circled long ago. (I hold the book in My hand now):

Ten to two o'clock witches:

Ava.
Devilla.
Tiberia.
Zora.
Scarlet.
Lunetta.

For women on any position on the clock?

EVE!
Iris.
Yvonne.
Betty.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#300001 - 01/20/08 08:54 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Lust Offline

Good one!

#300013 - 01/20/08 10:23 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Satin Sheets

And some men's names that give me a little tingle:
Travis
Sean
Nate
Gage
Christian (that's the little devil in me...wants to corrupt THAT one!)
Gregory
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#300016 - 01/20/08 10:37 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Amber and Celeste are beautiful names (not that Beth isn't, but it doesn't have the same effect on me). As soon as I read your response of "Amber" it made me think about the 311 song that I like titled "Amber." Then I realized that a lot of names that I like have songs written about them that I like as well, here are the ones that come to mind quickly:

Layla - Eric Clapton
Delilah - The Plain White Ts (before it got played out)
Betty - Ram Jam & later Spider Bait
Janie - Aerosmith
Molly - Sponge
Sunny - Shawn Colvin

Most female names and a lot of male names have songs written about them, but is it really just coincidence that the songs about names that appeal to me appeal to me as well? I'm not sure if this holds true for others (especially if they're a different position on the clock), but for me, this relationship warrants more thought.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#300033 - 01/21/08 01:35 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA

I like the word, "conundrum." Caymus makes a wine called, "Conundrum." It's a good one too.

My favorite word lately, though, is "eviscerate." It used to be, "reciprocity." Things change, you know?
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#300043 - 01/21/08 03:37 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I am sure I could stir up emotions in a public place with tactful mention of 'abortion', 'Hitler' and 'Iraq'. Positive? A smile with a friendly 'hello' can brighten up a person quickly, whether they are a stranger or not.

#300045 - 01/21/08 04:09 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Evil_Eve]
Noordenzuid Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Your car salesman reference has made me think of the word 'smarmy'.

The sound of the word validates its definition I think.

HS!

-Albert Camus

"To passion, to paradise, to pain, to night."

#300046 - 01/21/08 04:17 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Max Faust Offline
Banned

Loc: Ultima Thule
The word LOVE often beckons my gag reflex.

Especially when uttered by someone who is smiling so hard that they have teeth all over the place. My instincts bid me to get the hell away from said person.

On the positive side, I will mention SPUNK.

I don't know why - it's just a funny word.

#300069 - 01/21/08 07:43 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: RottenBonnie]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: RottenBonnie
My favorite word lately, though, is "eviscerate." It used to be, "reciprocity." Things change, you know?

Try "perspicacity"... it seems to suit you. \:\)

My favourite word lately is humuhumunukunukuapua'a. As far as emotional responses, this one always gets a smile from others (of course it makes me smile, else it wouldn't be my favourite! )... either the word itself or by watching me try to say it.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#300072 - 01/21/08 07:48 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Lust Offline

I once met a lady who was having a bad day. She wasn't interested in anything I had to say.(poetry) I noticed a couple of spots on her face, so I decided to start talking to her about cancer. She reacted to the word like a fat man going on about his favorite meal. She was in great shape, but two of her close family members had died from cancer. We ended good friends, and I walked away with another sale.

#300075 - 01/21/08 08:24 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Evil_Eve]
$lesk Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Norway
 Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve

For women on any position on the clock?

EVE!
Iris.
Yvonne.
Betty.

Now there's a name with connotations.
I have a serious Love/Hate relationship with that name.

Edited by Slesk (01/21/08 08:24 AM)

#300077 - 01/21/08 08:35 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

"Moist" is a pleasing word.

#300107 - 01/21/08 10:45 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
"Muad'Dib" is a killing word.

#300124 - 01/21/08 11:45 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Old_Pig]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
I like the words "holy" "five" - they feel some on my tounge \:D

Names, I like Anna and Tine \:D

#300126 - 01/21/08 12:03 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Atrum Offline
Banned

The word "coagulate" makes me nauseous when I hear it.

#300146 - 01/21/08 12:56 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Fenriz Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Washington
My favourite word lately is humuhumunukunukuapua'a. As far as emotional responses, this one always gets a smile from others (of course it makes me smile, else it wouldn't be my favourite! )... either the word itself or by watching me try to say it.

Okay, Shade, now I have to chime in. I can verify the reactions you've posted!

Every now and then, I meet someone who has learned this word. Being that I'm part Hawaiian, they would try to impress me by trying to pronounce it. And it is a funny word to pronounce.

They tend to smile and laugh a lot because it sounds funny to them. It's fun to watch and listen to.

It makes me laugh, but I don't mock them. I don't embarrass them either but try tell them that it'd be easier, though less fun, to say "fish with a pig-like snout"- which is what that word means.

This, however, sometimes invokes another burst of laughter.

Incidentally, so far, I've only met one person who wasn't from The Islands who could actually pronounce this word fluently. But, she too, smiles whenever she says it.

I'm still fond of The Tick's battle-cry, "Spoon!"

Sometimes I'll randomly blurt it out during a conversation just to mess with the other person. Most people laugh and shake their heads. Those who know, say it back.

#300173 - 01/21/08 02:30 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Fenriz]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
One of my favourite words is crepuscule.

Being a writer, of course I like words.

Molly Midnight (my Cat) is in ecdysis. Dont worry, it means molting.

A little quiz: what is the collective noun for Cats?

A pack of Wolves
A pride of Lions
A mob of Meerkats
A .. of Cats?

If there is no correct answer, Ill be back tomorrow. Goodnight from this time-zone.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#300181 - 01/21/08 02:55 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: MagdaGraham]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
SIMULINK!:D

#300189 - 01/21/08 03:16 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

If someone I do not know adresses me as friend, I try to block out every word that follows. They may as well call me "Rube". The same pretty much goes for "Partner", "Boss", "Brother", "Captain" and "Hoss".

#300193 - 01/21/08 03:26 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

"Hoss"?

As for friends, I must admit one of the things I like about Flickr is that it's called the contact list. You can then specify a given contact as a friend or as a family member (probably so those teenagers posting pictures of themselves getting wasted can make sure their party-mates can see the shots while Mom can't), but it's not necessarily a two-way street. If person A wants to add B as both a contact and a friend, this doesn't imply person B has to reciprocate either one.

More complicated than MySpace, but allows for more accuracy.

But hey, can't have MySpace changing it to "Acquaintances Online" or the "Acquaintance List" or anything like that, can we? Too many syllables.

And I won't even touch the "Top Friends" issue, though I've heard some people actually do worry about their placement on it.

Edited by Maqlu (01/21/08 05:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Found out what "hoss" means.

#300197 - 01/21/08 03:39 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Maqlu Offline
CoS Member

"Hipster" or "scenester" - people who use either one to describe themselves have proven themselves time and time again to be wastes of organic material, so I tend to groan at the mere mention.

They even sound like ugly and stupid words.

The other thing that pops into my mind right now is "cinema" versus "movies" - "cinema" even sounds more refined, and as such it tends to be used in regards to better quality viewing fare. The exception being the comic/zine Cinema Sewer which covers film reviews and odd little histories of old porn and horror flicks. But even there, the title brings to mind the right combination of film connaissuership and sleaze that makes up the magazine.

#300203 - 01/21/08 04:21 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Indeed! Words and, more importantly, the manner in which they are utilised carry emotional impact or vibratory resonance as is exemplified by poetry. Or, for that matter, the enochian keys.

Enochian is quite a pleasant word.

And actually so is "vibratory"

Also,

Tintinabulations.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#300206 - 01/21/08 04:40 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
Son and boy are two other such examples.

#300209 - 01/21/08 04:43 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Fenriz]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
 Originally Posted By: Fenriz
I'm still fond of The Tick's battle-cry, "Spoon!"

That's a personal favorite of mine as well.

Another good one to say at random is one I did at the casino last month. I didn't get a particularly good win, but it was funny nonetheless. I hit it, and when it started the payout, I said "Woo! Roll that beautiful bean footage!"

I turned a lot of heads and got several chuckles. That was fun

#300240 - 01/21/08 07:03 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Lust Offline

"resonance" fits nicely too!

Thank you, Reverend.

HS!

#300241 - 01/21/08 07:06 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
"Moist" is a pleasing word.

Is it just me, or is "Moist" a naughty word?

HS!

#300245 - 01/21/08 07:45 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: AurEum]
Eibon Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Delaware
Amber...That IS a beautiful name. I think it DOES feel nice to say.. you're right!!

#300251 - 01/21/08 08:40 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Skully Offline

Loc: London, UK
I was waiting for a bus a while ago and overheard a couple of psychology students talking. One of them said "If you want to stop somebody in the street and start a conversation, you should say"Hey!" Not "Hello!" or "Hi!", just "Hey!" Apparently, Hey is the easiest word on the ear. And he went on doing just that to some passing by girls. It worked. Well, I don't know if it was Hey or he was a charmer. Personally, I think it's not the actual word you use, but how you use it that gets the reaction. I frequently use the F... word and have never been misunderstood.

#300409 - 01/22/08 12:25 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Maqlu]
Lust Offline

"The other thing that pops into my mind right now is "cinema" versus "movies" - "cinema" even sounds more refined, and as such it tends to be used in regards to better quality viewing fare."

Hmmm, I honestly think that I have never said "okay kids, get your coats, were going to the cinema." This could be a location thing though. For instance, in Kentucky, where most of my family are, they use term "Pop" when talking about soda. I asked my Uncle, what he wanted from the store, he told me to get some "Pop". I said what kind, he just looked at me crazy like.

Most that I have met here in the South, just call it by what name they want, Coke, Pepsi, etc.. Ask them if they want a "Pop" and one can expect that same crazy look.

*Edit: Cinema, is a pleasent word.

Edited by Tier Instinct (01/22/08 12:26 PM)

#300414 - 01/22/08 12:35 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Maqlu]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Maqlu
"Hoss"?

I know that you have found what "hoss" means. But, for those who may wonder: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoss

#300427 - 01/22/08 01:18 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Words with Ls usually please me: loquacious, lick, lullaby. I think it's the sexy position of the tongue placed just below your front teeth with a slightly open mouth. They're provocative linguistic utterances.

I also like some dirty words that most people cringe at, like c*ck and c*nt...

#300437 - 01/22/08 01:39 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Zaftig]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: lexiphanic
Words with Ls usually please me: loquacious, lick, lullaby. I think it's the sexy position of the tongue placed just below your front teeth with a slightly open mouth. They're provocative linguistic utterances.

Now that is effective!

HS!

#300470 - 01/22/08 03:58 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Zaftig]
Saraflare Offline

I would have to say that c*nt is a word that I like a lot. It tickles me to use it when someone pisses me off.

I find the word moist to be gross..... Moist Towelette.....that word in general makes me cringe for some reason.

Coagulate, I absolutely love using this word. It makes most people cringe, and I find it very amusing.

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#300478 - 01/22/08 04:36 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: AurEum]
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
Delilah is one of the most gorgeous sounding names to me. I love soft, feminine sounding names and words. Delilah makes me think of green eyes and light curly hair; a woman with heavily emphasized, lush curves.

Some names that always 'get' me (I'm a sucker for A's):
Adelaide
Adriana
Ambrosine
Isabella
Lorelei
Valerie

For some reason, my favorite word is and always has been "mask".
Something about the image it projects into my mind, I suppose.

Another few words I like are: humid, seduction, phase, fervor, anguish, and ravish.

I've noted quite a few people actually zone out on me when I use the word "oblivious".
The same with absorbed, heedless, and preoccupied.

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

#300504 - 01/22/08 05:46 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

I bet Warlock Linguascelesta would agree with you, Lexiphanic.

#300515 - 01/22/08 06:12 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Saraflare]
Lust Offline

Happy Birthday!

What does that do for you?

#300663 - 01/23/08 01:10 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Valek]
Fenriz Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Valek
I said "Woo! Roll that beautiful bean footage!"

Ha!

I like this phrase very much. I'll have to use it sometime. ;\)

#300666 - 01/23/08 01:40 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: MagdaGraham]
Fenriz Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: MagdaGraham
A little quiz: what is the collective noun for Cats?

A .. of Cats?

If there is no correct answer, Ill be back tomorrow.

I was wondering this just the other day.

My research thus far has resulted in this:

A Colony of Cats

or

A Clowder of Cats

As found here, in the section titled "Cohabitation," for colony.

And here for clowder.

#300701 - 01/23/08 05:31 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Saraflare Offline

Happy Birthday!

What does that do for you?

Haha more than you know
thank you!

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.
~Anton LaVey

Bless me dark father I have sinned
I've done it before and I'll do it again
Cuz it keeps me warm, and makes you smile
Been beneath me all the while
Whispering sweet nothings
~Alkaline Trio

#302249 - 01/29/08 03:32 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
RottenBonnie Offline

"Moist," is not pleasing to me. However, I can see why it would appeal to you. "Moist," doesn't do it for me the way that, "stiff, hard and throbbing," does. \:\)
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

#302250 - 01/29/08 03:35 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
RottenBonnie Offline

Try "perspicacity"... it seems to suit you. \:\)

Thanks, Shade! Your dollar is in the mail!

Bon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406364 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements