Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#299919 - 01/20/08 04:14 PM Emotional Response From Words
Lust Offline

I watched the movie Donnie Darko, not that long ago. There was mention of the word Cellar Door, being the most beautiful word in the english dictionary. I began looking into this, and have started using different words on people to see how they respond to them. What words have you found that have positive, and negative effects on others?

I have noticed that people hate to hear the word blog.

HS!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#299941 - 01/20/08 05:49 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
I think LaVey hit on something close to this in The Satanic Witch when he was talking about names and how they're constructed by pointing out syllables, roughness or softness of names, etc.

While I haven't found specific words that I interchange with others, I like using words that seem to have less impact on a discerning listener.

This is definitely a fine subject to expand upon when in reference to dealing out lesser magic! \:D

#299944 - 01/20/08 05:56 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Of course, after thinking about this, if after a while you can learn more about a certain person, you can use more emotionally charged words (or avoid using them) to evoke certain reactions.

For example, say I was wanting to charm a lady who just got out of a long-term relationship who was happy to finally be single, I would stay away from words and emotional phrases that would conjure up previous experiences such as love, marriage, etc., and instead focus more on words that celebrate independence like passion, freedom, choice, etc., and of course using other methods of lesser magic.

Of course, words are going to mean more to some people than others and some less.

#299975 - 01/20/08 07:14 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Philotechnic]
Lust Offline

"Of course, words are going to mean more to some people than others and some less."

Some words when used the right way (NLP) should have the same emotional effect no matter the person.

For example, what would Dracula say if his victim couldn't see his eyes?
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�

#299978 - 01/20/08 07:18 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Donnie Darko...Great movie.

Emotional responses to words...I often have a reaction to names. There are some names for women that literally cause me to melt. A woman to can look like a failed science experiment; but, with the right name...

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#299982 - 01/20/08 07:32 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

Any favorites from The Satanic Witch?

#299984 - 01/20/08 07:42 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
Any favorites from The Satanic Witch?

Sure: Amber, Celeste, Beth

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#299989 - 01/20/08 07:57 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lust Offline

That is interesting. I can see how the name is important for both the male and female animal, but I haven't experienced fascination, due to ones name alone. You must have the heart of a romantic. ;\)

#299992 - 01/20/08 08:13 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
What words have you found that have positive, and negative effects on others?

Here's a conundrum of a word that seems to haunt me... friend. Has had both positive and negative effects on others.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#299997 - 01/20/08 08:35 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
 Originally Posted By: Shade
What words have you found that have positive, and negative effects on others?

Here's a conundrum of a word that seems to haunt me... friend. Has had both positive and negative effects on others.

Agreed.

It can also have a negative/positive effect on one's self.

I can count the true friends I have on one hand, but yet We hear people say the word everyday as if they have known you since birth.

Makes Me uneasy to say the least.

I think of used car salesmen when one would come up to Me after knowing Me/interacting with Me for 4 minutes and saying:

"I feel like We are best friends or:/I feel as if We have known each other for years."

No thanks. Uncomfortable and awkward.

This is not to say that I don't have 'friends' whom I have met online who I am friendly with. The word in and of it's self though is creepy to Me. ;\)

Now, as far as names go from The Satanic Witch, here are the ones I have circled long ago. (I hold the book in My hand now):

Ten to two o'clock witches:

Ava.
Devilla.
Tiberia.
Zora.
Scarlet.
Lunetta.

For women on any position on the clock?

EVE!
Iris.
Yvonne.
Betty.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#300001 - 01/20/08 08:54 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
Lust Offline

Good one!

#300013 - 01/20/08 10:23 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Satin Sheets

And some men's names that give me a little tingle:
Travis
Sean
Nate
Gage
Christian (that's the little devil in me...wants to corrupt THAT one!)
Gregory
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#300016 - 01/20/08 10:37 PM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Amber and Celeste are beautiful names (not that Beth isn't, but it doesn't have the same effect on me). As soon as I read your response of "Amber" it made me think about the 311 song that I like titled "Amber." Then I realized that a lot of names that I like have songs written about them that I like as well, here are the ones that come to mind quickly:

Layla - Eric Clapton
Delilah - The Plain White Ts (before it got played out)
Betty - Ram Jam & later Spider Bait
Janie - Aerosmith
Molly - Sponge
Sunny - Shawn Colvin

Most female names and a lot of male names have songs written about them, but is it really just coincidence that the songs about names that appeal to me appeal to me as well? I'm not sure if this holds true for others (especially if they're a different position on the clock), but for me, this relationship warrants more thought.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#300033 - 01/21/08 01:35 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Shade]
RottenBonnie Offline

Loc: The West Coast, USA
 Originally Posted By: Shade

I like the word, "conundrum." Caymus makes a wine called, "Conundrum." It's a good one too.

My favorite word lately, though, is "eviscerate." It used to be, "reciprocity." Things change, you know?
"The smartest, most passionate, most beautiful women I've met have been Satanists. I don't mean "beautiful on the inside where it really counts;" I mean gorgeous, vibrant, curvy women." Blanche Barton

"There's no such thing as too many books." Poetaster

#300043 - 01/21/08 03:37 AM Re: Emotional Response From Words [Re: Lust]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
I am sure I could stir up emotions in a public place with tactful mention of 'abortion', 'Hitler' and 'Iraq'. Positive? A smile with a friendly 'hello' can brighten up a person quickly, whether they are a stranger or not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43875 Topics
405557 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements