Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299886 - 01/20/08 02:17 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Skully]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
 Quote:
But then, there are cases when they start speaking different languages, changing voice, etc.

And of course, you're assuming that the "possessed" hasn't been exposed to casual contact with the language they're speaking while "possessed". I refer you to the work of Sarah Thomason. As for the changing voice, extreme metal vocalists are known for doing ridiculous things with their vocals, it is an industry devoted to the practice.

Quote:
Strange it may sound, but do we really know human body?

The mountain of research and data accumulated through interdisciplinary scientific methodology would seem to suggest that we do know at least a little bit. And that's likely why many such supposed cases of "possession" are so prevalent in uneducated, third world demographics, because they don't have ready access to the information that might provide them with a proper diagnosis.

Quote:
Under enormous pressure and stress people do amazing things when defending their offspring or saving themselves in danger.

This is a well known fact, and it has nothing to do with the questionable validity of mystical or spiritual possession.

Quote:
And we only use something like 30% of our brains.

So if you remove 70% of your brain, you'll function just fine?

This is a myth and I recommend better discretion and research on your part. You should begin here.

Note: If I've misconstrued the intent of this post in any way, I apologize.

Edited by Poetaster (01/20/08 05:47 PM)
Edit Reason: Just noticed that the first link didn't work, so I fixed it.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personĺs faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#299889 - 01/20/08 02:21 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Skully]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
 Originally Posted By: Skully
I'm not an expert in this matter, but believe in a miracle of human body.

I am not fully sure what you mean by "miracle of human body" but I can agree that us humans are capable of extraordinary feats that can be seen as 'magical' or 'miraculous'. Only because we haven't the ability to study or even detect the processes and mechanics of how these feats are accomplished. Without that data it may not be possible to fully accept certain occurrences as believable or based in fact or reality.

Originally Posted By: skully
But then, there are cases when they start speaking different languages, changing voice, etc.

Speaking multiple languages is a common skill. Changing the tone of ones voice is not too difficult a task either. From a skeptical standpoint this is not concrete evidence of a supernatural event as it can be done by millions, possibly billions of people.

Under enormous pressure and stress people do amazing things when defending their offspring or saving themselves in danger.

Yes, the body stores many chemicals inside the brain and other organs which can be released in times of stress to assist us by boosting reaction time, speed, mobility, sharpening the senses, raising the threshold for pain and moderating blood flow. In the course of our daily lives we are actually using just a mere fraction of the full potential of our physical capacities.

And we only use something like 30% of our brains. What happens with the rest of it?

I'm just musing here but I get the impression that the brain is much like our muscular system in that we are not continually lifting heavy objects just like we are not continually solving complex math equations.

Also, even with our 'advanced' technologies we still know very little about all the functions of the brain and exactly how it works. There may even be processes happening with that other 70% of gray matter that we cannot yet detect.

We are exposed to ginormous amount of information that just gets lost in the brains and doesn't resurface in normal sircumstances.

You may have a point here. Who knows, maybe everything in our lives is completely stored within the brain. In this way every word foreign and domestic that has reached your ears may be stored and ready for repeating at any time. Perhaps it takes a trigger of sorts to unlock this wellspring of recorded speech to allow it to flow effortlessly from ones lips. It's an interesting thought.

You may never be aware what languages you have been exposed to through media and such, but it might just stay at the furtherst corner of your brain.

#299894 - 01/20/08 02:36 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Dead Roses Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
It seems to me that this can be ascribed to the magic we practice, too. Indeed, we are using those uncounscious 70% while on the peak in the IDC, manifesting the power of strong emotions; doing magic by putting sudden charged quantums of counsciousness into it, which is caused by the above mentioned (respective) trigger(s).

The human brain is an enigma unsolved. A mystery we can, to an extent, explore with and through the use of magic.

But it might be better not to push it too hard, as Dr. LaVey said: ''Most people lack the ability to use a tool without having first to disassemble it and label each of the parts which make it run.''

Slava Satani

#299905 - 01/20/08 03:18 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Dammarval]
Lust Offline

My cock is possessed! It wakes me up in the middle of the night stiff as a board! It spits a thick liguid in the face of those who try to help it! It makes me sometimes do wicked things to it with my hands, that always results in the spitting of the thick liguid! I dumped some Holy water on it, and showed it a picture of Jesus, but again with the thick liguid! How would one account for my possessed cock?
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#299916 - 01/20/08 03:59 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Dammarval]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

In the documentary, "The Devil: An Unauthorized Biography", they show a Spanish speaking woman being exorcised by an aging Catholic Priest. I always found it odd that the "demon" spoke with the same Spanish accent and the best insult it could hurl was, "You stupid!" ;\)

#299948 - 01/20/08 05:59 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Bill_M]
Dammarval Offline
Praise Allah

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thank you all of you who have responsded to my post. Appreciate that very much...

#299952 - 01/20/08 06:09 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Dammarval]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
 Originally Posted By: Dammarval
Thank you all of you who have responsded to my post. Appreciate that very much...

And...your thoughts?

#299967 - 01/20/08 06:56 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Dammarval]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Dammarval

You're a mooch.

#299986 - 01/20/08 07:49 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Dammarval]
Storm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: West Valley, UT, USA
Certainly, I don't believe that actual "evil dieties" take over one's body and control their actions. However, I believe that that these "possessed" individuals believe it completely. So much so, in fact, that they are able to "become" those demons which they believe inhabit their "souls". And through the guidance of an "exorcist" they are able to rid themselves of these demons.

All this really demonstrates is the terrifying power of the christian religion.

~Storm

"When Hell is Full of Souls, The Tattooed Will Walk the Earth."
~Bob Tyrrell, The Night Gallery Tattoo

Facebook: facebook.com/artonyoustudios

#299988 - 01/20/08 07:52 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Storm]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
This comes the closest to my view on the subject.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#299990 - 01/20/08 08:07 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Storm]
Lust Offline

I watched a show on Monks, who tattoo vilagers. The tattoo's were of tigers, reptiles, and other mighty animals. I think there were even prayers tattooed along with the animal. Some would go into fits while the tattoo's were being performed. Displaying the actions of the animal being tattooed.

Later on, the tattoed were gathered together outside of the monestary. Where they went into an orgy of possesion! The monks would then perform exorcism. Man is truely the only animal that can lie to himself, and believe it.

HS!
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#300014 - 01/20/08 10:26 PM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Callier]
RandomStranger Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Here.
 Originally Posted By: Callier
[quote=Dammarval]
And why particularly a member of the CoS has to answer to this?

Probably because the CoS member perspective is valuable? Valuable enough to start charging people for answers!

#300092 - 01/21/08 10:09 AM Re: "Demon" Possession & Exorcisms... [Re: Bill_M]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
 Originally Posted By: Bill_M
There are likewise "docmented cases" of kids seeing Santa Claus at the mall.

I saw Santa Claus at the mall...

Documented!

There is no such thing as demonic possession...

Documented!

Case closed.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406073 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements