Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#300367 - 01/22/08 10:09 AM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: Max Faust]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
My instinct always tell me who is worth my time in here, and it does the same in the other reality, so this reality is just as real for me as the other reality.

#300381 - 01/22/08 10:47 AM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: LightAngel]
TheNaturalForce Offline
Banned

Loc: The Vibrant Garden
As for me I don't separate the internet reality from flesh reality. I imagine everyone in front of their computers, typing away just as I am. I also envision the environment that each individual is living in. And although the pictures I see are my own creation and are essentially fictional, it still gives the interaction a sense of flesh reality that is lacking in this medium.

I don't get trapped inside the box, I see the box as the conduit for our interaction.

#300382 - 01/22/08 10:51 AM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: Max Faust]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Ultimately, meeting someone is the better judge of people. That does not mean that I do not form opinions about people that I interact with online. Far from it. I'm constantly viewing posts and forming ideas about people here. I'm damn sure that others do the same to me. I have no doubt that Hierarchy view posts and classify us all.

As for what is "real"...who knows? People who try too hard usually show a crack in the veneer eventually. At the same time, I would be offended if someone thought that all I am could be represented here online in two-dimensional posts. I think I'm far more interesting than that.

There's only one part of HER I hope remains real.

#300391 - 01/22/08 11:14 AM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: TheNaturalForce]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
 Originally Posted By: HoundDog

I don't get trapped inside the box, I see the box as the conduit for our interaction.

And that is precisely what it is. There really shouldn't be any seperation. I truly believe that those of us with one iota of sense can see through anyone's pretensiousness.

And since she's above us there, can I just say Lexiphanic, honey, you have some captivating eyes!
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#300401 - 01/22/08 12:02 PM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Absolutely! I know that you know this; but the “ignore” button is a great tool. I am not talking about simply ignoring, but as a mnemonic device regarding whom you are undecided about. The act of “toggling” can remind you that you need to have your shields up. Why? I do not know about you, but the number of screen names there are makes it difficult to have a mental synopsis of more than a few at a time. Let us say I see a post from…I don’t know…I’ll say Tier Instinct. I have read enough of his posts to know that it’s safe to assume I will not contract any mental damage from reading his post. Even if it is the occasional goofy stuff (I have made many of those), the balance is on the side that I will not see that every time I click on a post he has made.

Now, if someone arrives, and decides to use the name Kickmeplease, or IamabadassforSatan, or, worse yet, an avatar that turns my stomach...they are easy to pretty much read off. The exception is, of course, the witty use of animals in one’s name. That shows class. But there are many that seem to run together. If they prove to be trust-worthy, they can be taken off the ignore list. OR…you can be safe and just read posts by hierarchy…whatever works.

But…yes…impressions are formed by our words. Hopefully, that is just a small glimpse.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#300438 - 01/22/08 01:39 PM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I agree with your post because it agrees with mine (spontaneous virtual lovefest!!!).

Quote:
Even if it is the occasional goofy stuff (I have made many of those)

Hail the goofy stuff! I'm glad people share their knowledge as well as their wit. It's part of the package.

I think we are both mature enough to understand my next comment for the sincere compliment that it is; your humour makes you attractive. Omit that and this would be a terribly boring place.

#300441 - 01/22/08 01:52 PM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: Zaftig]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
 Originally Posted By: lexiphanic

I think we are both mature enough to understand my next comment for the sincere compliment that it is; your humour makes you attractive.

Thank you!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#300481 - 01/22/08 04:42 PM Re: What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet? [Re: Max Faust]
farjalikhali Offline

Loc: Colorado
 Quote:
What Exactly Makes You REAL On The Internet?

I'm not.

;\) Heh... as has been said... I think that, to make someone 'real' to you, you'd have to meet them.

They can still be fun. I know quite a few very interesting and amusing pixel-people. Once I meet them... they won't be pixel-people any more! \:\)

-Emo Philips

It's hard to be religious when certain people
are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

-Bill Watterson

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43883 Topics
404450 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements